Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2017, 21:33   #76
BHPian

Re: VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights

Dear Guys,
I got the cabin light delivered after good 42 days. God bless custom clearance at the airport. Posting few snaps of the same. Its just 5 minutes DIY job.
Cheers and Gudluck.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-cabin-light-1.jpg  

VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-cabin-light-2.jpg  

VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-cabin-light-3.jpg  

VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-cabin-light-4.jpg  

Old 1st September 2017, 16:16   #77
BHPian

Re: VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Excellent! Thanks a ton. Will try it out. Was hoping to avoid any day mounted option as I wanted a stock clean look but I guess there won't be any other position as an option to mount this.
Hi Vandit,

Did you try this out? I am looking to buy one too for my Vento TSI 2016 Highline. Was there any custom duty involved? How was the product quality and your overall feedback on the purchase? Will wait for your response before ordering.
Old 25th September 2017, 22:55   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetzap View Post
Hi Vandit,

Did you try this out? I am looking to buy one too for my Vento TSI 2016 Highline. Was there any custom duty involved? How was the product quality and your overall feedback on the purchase? Will wait for your response before ordering.

Hi, apologies for responding so late. I guess I somehow overlooked your post.

Unfortunately no, haven't had the time to get much done on the car apart from custom seat covers and padding.
Old 27th September 2017, 09:20   #79
BHPian

Hi Guys, Installed Chrome Headlight switch in my Polo TDI. I ordered it on September 1, 2017 and got it delivered on September 26, 2017. Overall I am satisfied with the quality however I had to open the dashboard from side along the door so as to install it. It seems the cable is not long enough to come out when I take out the switch assembly.
Cheers and have a great day always.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-old-switch.jpg  

VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-new-switch-day.jpg  

VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-new-switch-night.jpg  

Old 31st October 2017, 09:18   #80
Senior - BHPian

My first DIY on Laura. Gave the interiors a LED treatment and never thought it makes such a difference in the ambience. Just 10 minutes job and gave me so much confidence in venturing into more DIYs like trunk, glovebox etc in coming days.

Thanks Gannu, I used your credit card trick. Sorry for not including pics as all these were done yesterday night as soon as I reached home; like a boy holding his new toy.

Canbus ready LED kit was procured for <700 bucks from AliExpress

For Laura (Octavia II) owners :
  • Front sets are 3B0 947 105C Y20 with two W5Ws for sides and one C5W(42mm) in the middle
  • Rear sets are 6Q0 947 105M with just one C5W(42mm) in middle
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 12:28   #81
BHPian

Got the new cabin light assembly, headlight switch & added chrome interior door windows' lift case (all 4 doors). Now the interior looks towards premium and the head light switch esp. feels way better when operating. The delivery from Ali Express was surprisingly quick this time, delivered within 2 weeks using standard air mail

Thanks Gannu for this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-img_20180204_091754.jpg  

VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-img_20180204_091743.jpg  

VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-img_20180204_091719.jpg  

Last edited by wangdu : 12th February 2018 at 12:34.
wangdu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 14:29   #82

Volkswagen Automatic Headlight Switch unit

I have purchased an automatic headlight switch unit for my Volkswagen Vento automatic. The fixing is breeze, no wire cut no hassles.

But there is one thing I noticed that the rear fog light keeps always on even if I put the switch in "0" position.

I wrote a message to the seller and promptly he replied that the Rear fog light will always glow by default.

Though I have an option to remove the Rear fog light bulb removed, but thats not the way to do .

Can any one of the forum kindly help me to resolve the issue.

Thank you in anticipation
Old 7th November 2018, 14:49   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
Got the new cabin light assembly, headlight switch & added chrome interior door windows' lift case (all 4 doors). Now the interior looks towards premium and the head light switch esp. feels way better when operating. The delivery from Ali Express was surprisingly quick this time, delivered within 2 weeks using standard air mail

Thanks Gannu for this thread.
Hi, do you have any recommendation for a seller on AliExpress for the cabin light assembly? Looking to get this as well. Thanks in advance.
Old 14th November 2018, 09:00   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Hi, do you have any recommendation for a seller on AliExpress for the cabin light assembly? Looking to get this as well. Thanks in advance.
Here's the one I bought. But do check the TSI official review thread as I recently saw a post where someone reported installing a newer version that supports auto headlights.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100-...17624c4dXKhYiA
wangdu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 12:02   #85
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Automatic Headlight Switch unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by senhyd View Post
But there is one thing I noticed that the rear fog light keeps always on even if I put the switch in "0" position.

I wrote a message to the seller and promptly he replied that the Rear fog light will always glow by default.

Though I have an option to remove the Rear fog light bulb removed, but thats not the way to do .

I'm looking to go ahead and get the automatic switch as well for my Vento Highline TSI.

Currently, there are two options. One is with Bluetooth and the other is without. Apparently the BT version's USP is that it saves power.

Is your issue resolved?

If yes, how did you resolve it?

Thanks in Advance,
Sarfraz Khan
Old 3rd September 2019, 05:41   #86

No issue remains static . I'm using the switch the way it was
Old 12th June 2020, 17:39   #87
BHPian

Help with LED bulb in trunk

Hello Sirs ! I need some help. I have changed the Boot-light of my Vento from the halogen lamp to a LED bulb. It lit up quite well. But I got a doubt and so I put my phone in the boot and left it to record video for few seconds while I closed the boot, to see if the light is turning off (I really don't know why I got that doubt, but apparently it happened so). When I opened the boot and checked the footage, it came to my horror that the bulb was not turning off completely, but it's lit very lightly. I can say it is partially lit. I changed it to the original bulb and checked again. It was completely being turned off when the boot is closed. Is it okay to be like this ?

The original bulb is a Toshiba 3 Watt bulb.
The replacement I'm using is an Osram 1 Watt bulb.

I have changed the parking lights, the interior lights and the foot-well lights to LEDs a long time ago. Only the housing of Foot-well lights is similar to the one in the trunk. But there was a difference between them too - The trunk light housing had a resistor.

So, is it because the LED light is 1 watt and so it's being lit by the little current that is passing through the circuit and that current was not enough to light the traditional 3 Watt halogen bulb ? Or is there some other reason ?

Can I install the LED bulb ? Or should I get back to the traditional halogen bulb ?

The original bulb -
VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-original-bulb.jpg

Retrofit LED Bulb -
VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-resistor.jpg

Bulb when trunk is open -
VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-light-when-door-open.jpg

Bulb when trunk closed -
VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-light-door-closed.jpg
Old 12th June 2020, 18:18   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Help with LED bulb in trunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisailendra View Post
Hello Sirs ! I need some help. I have changed the Boot-light of my Vento from the halogen lamp to a LED bulb. It lit up quite well. But I got a doubt and so I put my phone in the boot and left it to record video for few seconds while I closed the boot, to see if the light is turning off (I really don't know why I got that doubt, but apparently it happened so). When I opened the boot and checked the footage, it came to my horror that the bulb was not turning off completely, but it's lit very lightly. I can say it is partially lit. I changed it to the original bulb and checked again. It was completely being turned off when the boot is closed. Is it okay to be like this ?

The original bulb is a Toshiba 3 Watt bulb.
The replacement I'm using is an Osram 1 Watt bulb.

That is normal with LED. The LED's will glow slightly with the residual current running through the circuit. Nothing to worry about.

You will notice the same if you put LED in the cabin light and move the toggle switch to light up when door open. The LED will glow lightly even when door closed.

I think that is a Diode and not a resistor. The LED would not glow if you solder a 1K resistor in series with the diode. Also, i do not understand why a diode is needed since the halogen bulbs do not need polarity check. And the LED itself is a diode. Maybe , you can remove the diode and replace it with the resistor to remove the glow when shut issue

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 12th June 2020 at 18:25.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 18:23   #89
BHPian

Re: Help with LED bulb in trunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
That is normal with LED. The LED's will glow slightly with the residual current running through the circuit. Nothing to worry about.
Thank you very much sir. I've been wanting to change the bulb to LED since a very long time. And today I took the time and effort to do it. But this doubt again put my happiness on hold.

I'll right away install the fixture now and feel happy everytime I open the trunk.
Old 18th February 2021, 15:01   #90

hi All,

After reading a lot of reviews about the auto switch for VW/Skoda, finally i decided to go for it, however to my luck, it seems Aliexpress wouldnt send it across to India,

Can someone help me if they're aware as to if this switch can be procured in India, this would be for my Rapid, DSG 1.5,

PS: ive also read claims that the same can be modded internally through the rain/RVM sensors,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks