Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2015, 11:13   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights

Hi Aditya,

Sorry for the late response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya9567 View Post
1) He says he's sent you part no. 1TD 947 105, what you've mentioned is 3B0 947 105C Y20. Is it the same?
IIRC, I did not source these from Tank Tao's dealership - it was another one but he has not been communicating since so switched to Tank for the purchases later on.

Quote:
2) Where did you source the LEDs for this assembly and the cost?
I sourced them locally. Aliexpress has flat wedge type W5W LEDs as well. They are cheap.

Quote:
Is the DIY simple or complex?
It is pretty simple. You just have to take care not to exert too much force while removing the A-pillar trim. That's all.

Quote:
3) Is the headlight switch quality good after extended usage? Would you recommend one?
I have switched to the Mk7 model headlight switch. It is mentioned in this post, #7 - Link

The quality of both the switches are good. The Mk7 feels noticeably better. And less of chrome too.

Quote:
4) He is quoting USD 28 for the assembly with HK post. I've asked for DPEX. Is HK post good and is there any room for price decrease?
Are you referring to the cabin light alone? Check the pricing across different listings on Ali and bargain. They might reduce a few dollars. If you are a frequent buyer or grouping several buys together, you stand a better chance at bargaining. Naturally.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 15:11   #47
BHPian

Re: VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights

Thanks for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I sourced them locally. Aliexpress has flat wedge type W5W LEDs as well. They are cheap.
Are these CANBUS error free LEDs?

Quote:
I have switched to the Mk7 model headlight switch. It is mentioned in this post, #7 - Link

The quality of both the switches are good. The Mk7 feels noticeably better. And less of chrome too.
I agree and hence asked him for the MK 7 switch without the auto module but he sent me a picture with an auto switch even after repeatedly mentioning that I want one without an auto switch. He is quoting USD 22 for it. I am assuming he is referring to the one I want. What is your opinion?

Quote:
Are you referring to the cabin light alone? Check the pricing across different listings on Ali and bargain. They might reduce a few dollars. If you are a frequent buyer or grouping several buys together, you stand a better chance at bargaining. Naturally.
Yes, the cabin light assembly set up alone. He knocked off 2 USD. graaja looked for some options and found one place which sells at 19 USD but no certainty about the reliability.
Old 18th December 2015, 21:39   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are these CANBUS error free LEDs?
Nope but doesn't matter since the Polo doesn't have issues with the Canbus throwing the error during VCDS scans or warnings on the cluster when the bulbs are replaced with LEDs.

Quote:
He is quoting USD 22 for it. I am assuming he is referring to the one I want. What is your opinion?
Double check what exactly is he sending you. Ask him for sending you a pic of the switch. Usually dealers comply with these requests.
Old 18th December 2015, 22:20   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please do update once you've installed...
Quote:
Double check what exactly is he sending you. Ask him for sending you a pic of the switch. Usually dealers comply with these requests.
I installed the light assembly today. It is a perfect fit and works perfectly. So, "3B0 947 105C Y20" that Ganesh has used and "1TD 947 105" Mr. Tank sent are compatible.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 07:53   #50
BHPian

Re: DIY: VW Polo - Swapping cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell light

Quote:

3. Using a hobby knife, scratch the copper leads of the cabin light at the locations indicated below:

Attachment 1229562
Gannu, is it possible to identify the similar locations on regular cabin light (that comes with Indian polo by default) ?
Old 27th February 2016, 08:11   #51
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY: VW Polo - Swapping cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell light

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeru View Post
Gannu, is it possible to identify the similar locations on regular cabin light (that comes with Indian polo by default) ?
Why not? Use a DMM (digital multimeter) to check for 12V by keeping the leads on the copper traces and you should know.
Old 27th February 2016, 09:35   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Why not? Use a DMM (digital multimeter) to check for 12V by keeping the leads on the copper traces and you should know.
This is the best I could find.

VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-image.jpeg

Two things I'm finding it very difficult:

1. Unlatching the cabin light connector.

2. Removing the IRVM frm the windshield. As I do not have mallet to use like you have done, I'm twisting and tugging it to remove with my bare hands but scared to apply more pressure as I may break the windscreen. Any alternate solutions,

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th February 2016 at 09:58. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post within the 30 minute edit window to add more contents. Thanks!
Old 27th February 2016, 09:57   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is the best I could find.
If these are the terminals that turn on/off when the car is unlocked/locked, it is safe. Please insulate them properly to avoid contacts with the body or other terminals.

Quote:
Two things I'm finding it very difficult.
1. Unlatching the cabin light connector.
It takes a while. Press on the 2 latches on the either side of the connector and pull it out.

Quote:
I'm twisting and tugging it to remove with my bare hands
I am not sure why are you twisting the base! It doesn't work at all. At best, you'll end up breaking it.

You have to push it upward. Cover a regular hammer with some cloth and give it a tap. Several others have removed it and this is the only way to do it.

Quote:
Any alternate solutions,
None. Do as I've suggested above.
Old 3rd March 2016, 16:00   #54
BHPian

Hi Gannu_1

Your DIY's are just amazing and top notch! Kudos for doing an excellent job and opening up a new world into VW accessorizing.

I have been following your threads for quite a long time,and I have managed to install the cabin light, and changed the headlight switch in my rapid. Footwell lights are en-route from China (Ali Express) will be following your installation procedures for it.

I have also got a pair of puddle lamps of VW Golf too, but I now reached a roadblock. How to drill and route it to the cabin light? Many international forums have mentioned that it can be done via the fuse-box and some coding in VCDS. Is it possible I have a 2015 Skoda Rapid Ambition with the stock BCM?
Old 5th March 2016, 23:08   #55
BHPian

Ganesh Bhai,

I want to replace the stock bulbs with LED's. So what type of LED bulbs i need to buy ?
Old 7th March 2016, 13:01   #56
BHPian

Great job. I'm really interested in installing a set of interior map-reading lights in my scorpio. Trouble is, there is no existing lamp fixture in this position. (The scorpio dome light is positioned over the middle row). If I were to buy one of these kits what would be the level of difficulty involved in installing it? (Power could be sourced from the existing dome light with the wires running underneath the headliner). Is it something I could attempt as a DIY? Has anyone done a similar project with a scorpio?
Old 10th March 2016, 20:21   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevJ View Post
I have also got a pair of puddle lamps of VW Golf too, but I now reached a roadblock.
Did you get these?

VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-0.jpg

If yes, you might have a slightly hard time installing them. The cavity behind the mirror assembly has limited space. I am not sure if it will accommodate this bulky a unit. But before attempting to cut or dremel your way through, please check. Cut a small piece of styrofoam/thermocol in the shape of the puddle light and keep it in the area to check for the space.

When you pry out the mirror, you will see this circular electric adjustment unit. It has 3 long Torx screws. Remove them and you can move it aside like this:

VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-img_1804.jpg

Quote:
How to drill and route it to the cabin light?
Use a metal snake cable to pull the wiring from the outside to the inside. You will need to remove the door card and the trim on the corner. To lead the wires to the cabin, you will have to route it through the door's innards through the flexible rubber hose. I shall mention everything on the DIY thread when I put one up - just need some time!

Please check how you will secure the puddle lamps with the mirror assembly. In my case, they were simply threaded.

Quote:
Many international forums have mentioned that it can be done via the fuse-box and some coding in VCDS. Is it possible I have a 2015 Skoda Rapid Ambition with the stock BCM?
Not possible on the Polo 6R as far as I am aware since we do not get an independent CAN gateway unit like the Jetta, Laura or Passat does. You can connect any number of lights in parallel to the cabin light (footwell lights, door lights, puddle lights, boot light etc) but the intensity and delay cannot be varied - not using the cluster nor VCDS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
Ganesh Bhai,

I want to replace the stock bulbs with LED's. So what type of LED bulbs i need to buy ?
Guys, please read through the thread! It has already been mentioned:

Quote:
The unit uses 2 nos. W5W bulbs and 1 C5W (42mm) bulb
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
Great job. I'm really interested in installing a set of interior map-reading lights in my scorpio. Trouble is, there is no existing lamp fixture in this position. (The scorpio dome light is positioned over the middle row). If I were to buy one of these kits what would be the level of difficulty involved in installing it? (Power could be sourced from the existing dome light with the wires running underneath the headliner). Is it something I could attempt as a DIY? Has anyone done a similar project with a scorpio?
You can look at the cabin light that goes into the Passat (part number - 3C0 947 291 + plastic frame 1K0 867 599 D):

VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-plafonieravwpassat6cod3c0947291cc1f831bb4eb905d44d00000.jpg

Rear:

VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-3c0947291c11.jpg

This one simply latches on to the frame on the roof liner and no screws. It requires a nice precise cut though. Can be practiced on a cardboard piece and then on the roof liner. VW parts are expensive so watch out for the rates of these!
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2016, 21:12   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Did you get these?
Not quite, I got these

Quote:
If yes, you might have a slightly hard time installing them. The cavity behind the mirror assembly has limited space. I am not sure if it will accommodate this bulky a unit. But before attempting to cut or dremel your way through, please check. Cut a small piece of styrofoam/thermocol in the shape of the puddle light and keep it in the area to check for the space.
I am kind of halfway through, removed outer cover, inner rim cover and mirror motor assembly. There seems to be ample space, it's a guess and will shave some more space off if it restricts the motor movement. Next is making a template and continue as you said.

Quote:
Use a metal snake cable to pull the wiring from the outside to the inside. You will need to remove the door card and the trim on the corner. To lead the wires to the cabin, you will have to route it through the door's innards through the flexible rubber hose. I shall mention everything on the DIY thread when I put one up - just need some time!
This I am going to do tomorrow. Sounds tricky though.

Surely your dedicated thread will have steps explained more thoroughly, my bad for being hasty!

Quote:
Not possible on the Polo 6R as far as I am aware since we do not get an independent CAN gateway unit like the Jetta, Laura or Passat does. You can connect any number of lights in parallel to the cabin light (footwell lights, door lights, puddle lights, boot light etc) but the intensity and delay cannot be varied - not using the cluster nor VCDS.
Thank you for the information. Will route it to reading lamp.
Old 10th March 2016, 21:36   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This I am going to do tomorrow. Sounds tricky though.
Just in case it helps, here's how it was routed to the cabin:

VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-img_1836.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-img_1837.jpg

Just ensure that the cables lay flat at the bottom of the door cavity else it may interfere with the movement of the window. After the wires are laid, raise the window up and down a couple of times to check the wires are not getting stretched. If it does, you need to lay low the cables further.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th March 2016 at 21:38.
Old 10th March 2016, 21:48   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Just in case it helps, here's how it was routed to the cabin:
This helps so much!!

Quote:
Just ensure that the cables lay flat at the bottom of the door cavity else it may interfere with the movement of the window. After the wires are laid, raise the window up and down a couple of times to check the wires are not getting stretched. If it does, you need to lay low the cables further.
Yes will double check on this and the pictures you have shared shows how to route them, thanks a bunch!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks