Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2016, 15:41   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
When you start the alignment the headlight rotatory switch should be be at '0' right?
Mid-position would be best, as you can move a notch above or below depending on the need (i.e. after alignment). At '0', lights would be at their top most position and you won't be able to correct the beam in case it turns out to be lower than desired, after adjustment. This problem can occur due to slope, incline, tyre pressures and other small bits, so it is safer to be in the mid-position.
swift_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 10:33   #32
BHPian

re: Installed! Bi-Xenon Projectors on my VW Polo GT TSi EDIT - Reliability Concerns Noted (Page#8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Hi, As my Polo GT TSi had the headlight leveling motors inside the headlight assembly, when I changed to older generation headlight assembly, I lost the motorized level control function. So, I am not sure about this. I think it would be better to do the alignment with the headlight leveling switch in the middle position.
I too have gone ahead with Lumen Systems with similar setup as yours for my Vento 2015 and facing issues especially with projector adjustment. The dummy motors that were installed have held up for a month but I am not sure how long would it hold. After multiple trials, the projector has been adjusted to maximum height and yet its way below what you haven been able to achieve in your setup

I am yet to start operation cleanup like you have done for wiring but thanks a ton for providing valuable information as to what can be done
vin_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 23:23   #33
BHPian

re: Installed! Bi-Xenon Projectors on my VW Polo GT TSi EDIT - Reliability Concerns Noted (Page#8)

Quote:

This time I paid special attention on the blind spot, and yes, there is a blind spot near the left side beam.
Graaja, do you mind sharing what you had done to clear that blind spot and why was the blind spot appeared at the first place? Thanks!!
Old 27th February 2016, 11:44   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin_b View Post
...The dummy motors that were installed have held up for a month but I am not sure how long would it hold. After multiple trials, the projector has been adjusted to maximum height and yet its way below what you haven been able to achieve in your setup

I am yet to start operation cleanup like you have done for wiring but thanks a ton for providing valuable information as to what can be done
Can you give some more information on the dummy motors? Did you get level adjustment motors and fit them to your headlights? Are you able to control the headlight level using the level control knob?

If you mean the headlights have been adjusted to max level using the level control knob, then I think you can still make some more adjustment manually by turning the level adjustment screws.

Yes. Cleanup is very much necessary for peace of mind. You can also get the cleanup done by Lumens Systems. Last week I saw them doing an instalation in a Vento and they used heat shrink tubes and did a far better job of insulating the joints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeru View Post
Graaja, do you mind sharing what you had done to clear that blind spot and why was the blind spot appeared at the first place? Thanks!!
Hi Keeru, The blind spot is there because of the beam pattern of the projectors. The pattern is conical - narrow near the car and gets wider farther. See image below.

Installed! Bi-Xenon Projectors on my VW Polo GT TSi. EDIT - Reliability concerns on page 8-beam-pattern.jpg
Image Courtesy: Google Images

So, if your projects are aligned high or if you have a higher seating position, you will notice some unlit area very close to the front of the car. Turning on the fog lamps lights up that area.

However, at normal driving speeds, you would never look at that spot. You would look that close only when you are taking a sharp turn at a low speed. And the fog lamp turns on automatically (automatic cornering lamp function) taking care of this. I don't see this dark area as a problem at all.
graaja is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 22:47   #35
BHPian

Graaja, Lumens systems offering octagonal projectors. Do you have anything to say about them in terms of performance or anything?
Old 28th February 2016, 07:23   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Graaja, Lumens systems offering octagonal projectors. Do you have anything to say about them in terms of performance or anything?
Actually only the halo and shroud are octagonal. The optics is still the same. So, performance wise, I don't think there will be any change between the ones I have and the Octagonal ones.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2016, 20:17   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Can you give some more information on the dummy motors? Did you get level adjustment motors and fit them to your headlights? Are you able to control the headlight level using the level control knob?
They did provide a dummy level adjustment motor since we lose the electric motor and the newer motor doesn't fit the older setup. It cant be used to change anything as the only purpose I think it serves is to ensure water doesn't enter into headlamps.

The connections is seriously shabby to say the least.

Meeting Vinod this week to request similar electric changes you have made on mine

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th February 2016 at 13:46. Reason: Typo (loose > lose).
Old 29th February 2016, 13:28   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Actually only the halo and shroud are octagonal. The optics is still the same. So, performance wise, I don't think there will be any change between the ones I have and the Octagonal ones.
As per Vinod, the internal components are different so there will be 15% better performance over the existing ones. I'm planning for retrofitting the newer ones (octagonal) and update about the performance.

Why can't you try fixing the ballasts securely like how Gannu did for his setup?
Also, do you think it is a better idea to go with HIDs for fogs in terms of complexity at tightly cramped engine bay (TDI vehicles) and the electricals?
Old 29th February 2016, 14:11   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As per Vinod, the internal components are different so there will be 15% better performance over the existing ones. I'm planning for retrofitting the newer ones (octagonal) and update about the performance.
Fantastic

Quote:
Why can't you try fixing the ballasts securely like how Gannu did for his setup?
Also, do you think it is a better idea to go with HIDs for fogs in terms of complexity at tightly cramped engine bay (TDI vehicles) and the electricals?
Yes. I have secured the passenger side ballast to the chassis using a bolt. For the driver side ballast, there is no location to secure it and hence it is tied to the cable assembly.

One issue with HID for fog lamp is the cornering lamp function. The Polo uses the fog lamp for cornering with theatrical dimming effect. A HID will not work with this dimming signal.
Old 29th February 2016, 15:06   #40
BHPian

Quote:
On the passenger side headlight, noticed that the sealing was not proper
I have heard the technician will not remove the OEM sealant but instead will use the same sealant to fix the assembly back and once the lens is locked to the assembly, use some extra sealant and do some patch work.

Do you think this is enough for the seal to be tight? and do you think this might also be the reason for your headlight not sealed properly? How about the driver side headlight seal? Is it tight?

How is the moisture accumulation inside the headlight post retrofit?
Old 29th February 2016, 19:22   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have heard the technician will not remove the OEM sealant but instead will use the same sealant to fix the assembly back and once the lens is locked to the assembly, use some extra sealant and do some patch work.

Do you think this is enough for the seal to be tight? and do you think this might also be the reason for your headlight not sealed properly? How about the driver side headlight seal? Is it tight?

How is the moisture accumulation inside the headlight post retrofit?
I haven't seen any moisture in the headlight post retrofit.

And yes, they use some paste to seal the lights. In my car, there was only a very small open in the driver side light, but the passenger side light had big problem. I am not very happy about this seal as well. Will do an inspection in a couple of months and if it has opened up, will get proper sealant tape and do it again, or have Lumens do it.
Old 1st March 2016, 09:33   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

One issue with HID for fog lamp is the cornering lamp function. The Polo uses the fog lamp for cornering with theatrical dimming effect. A HID will not work with this dimming signal.
Look closely, the fog lamp assembly has two seperate lamps in a single housing, the outside corner lamp is used for cornering, while inside lamp is used as a fog lamp. http://motorbash.com/wp-content/uplo...-fog-lamps.jpg http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/VWPo...-gt-tdi-09.jpg http://www.autojunction.in/wcsstore/...o-fog-lamp.jpg
We can think of an HID only in the inner fog lamp part without disturbing the outer corner.

Rahul
Old 1st March 2016, 11:06   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Look closely, the fog lamp assembly has two seperate lamps in a single housing, the outside corner lamp is used for cornering, while inside lamp is used as a fog lamp.
Rahul
Installed! Bi-Xenon Projectors on my VW Polo GT TSi. EDIT - Reliability concerns on page 8-img_20160301_102045894.jpg

Nope. There is only one fog lamp in the housing. The other part of the housing is blank and does not have any light. The single fog lamp works as cornering lamp too.
Old 1st March 2016, 11:41   #44
BHPian

Quote:

Nope. There is only one fog lamp in the housing. The other part of the housing is blank and does not have any light. The single fog lamp works as cornering lamp too.
Yes, you are absolutely correct.
Cornering lamp = Turning ON a single fog with a dimming effect.
Then why is that blank housing for?

Anyway, mine is a pre-facelift GT which doesn't have cornering light functionality . But the housing is the same. I always wonder why this blank housing and thought it does the cornering lit while fogs are untouched.
keeru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 12:13   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Then why is that blank housing for?
I believe it's for the DRL, which the Indian version doesn't come with. Wonder if one can plug and play with that though, with the help of VCDS.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks