Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2016, 16:46   #16
BHPian

Re: DIY: Fixing a scraped / scratched bumper

Thanks for this wonderful thread.

I tried with my old i10 once and was quite unsuccessful. After sparing the COM-Merge, the paint used to change color / not merge properly. Also the COM merge could dilute the original paint as well. This was a metallic paint.

While applying the paint, there was always an air spray effect left out. You know what i mean? Like the Air Gun in adobe / MS paint. How do you overcome this?

Would anything change for a non-metallic application?, I am looking to order one superior white for an Alto 800.

Last edited by groom : 18th January 2016 at 16:56. Reason: Gramatik
groom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 18:09   #17
BHPian

Tried this a couple years back.

The metallic black did not match my Swift.
The candy white was a decent match for the VW, but I couldn't really get the base coating done properly (the impact area was along a profile line and sort of curved); so did not work for me.
Now that I see this post, I have the urge to give it another shot :P

Com-Paint is pretty good. Know a couple of friends who have tried this on Tata and Honda, and the result was good.
negativeH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 18:44   #18
BHPian

This is fantastic audioholic. I have the same package sitting in my trunk. I tried a few times to repair such blemishes on the bumper and other parts of the car body but the results were not encouraging - I think I was not patient enough or more likely purely lack the tradecraft.

But your results are inspiring me once again to give it another shot.
dj78 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 19:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Excellent DIY, I will try the same with racing red color. But looking at the level of your craftsmanship and patience, I think I'll have to do some practice before attempting it for real.
One question, Does this color also stick to metal parts ?
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 19:56   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeH View Post

Com-Paint is pretty good. Know a couple of friends who have tried this on Tata and Honda, and the result was good.
I was browsing amazon.com for Com Paint for Spice Red Tata Indica Vista, but I couldn't find it.

Could you please let me know which colour your friend(s) had ordered for their Tata Cars

Thanks!
Old 19th January 2016, 01:59   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushibeta View Post
Tata Cars
His is a Silver Safari, that color is available easy.

Previously, these guys were pretty responsive; leave them a message on their site and they'd get back (Someone wanted to know if some color would be apt for the Linea Wine, there wasn't any).
Ask them if any other color would suit your Red need, on their Site. (I think Maruti color match Tata ones, but do check).
Old 19th January 2016, 08:22   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesht_ripps View Post
Please let me know the site on which you placed order for com paint. Thanks in advance
I got it from Amazon as mentioned. But you can as well get it from their local retailers since buying from amazon costs you more with a really slow turnaround time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post
After sparing the COM-Merge, the paint used to change color / not merge properly. Also the COM merge could dilute the original paint as well. This was a metallic paint.

While applying the paint, there was always an air spray effect left out. You know what i mean? Like the Air Gun in adobe / MS paint. How do you overcome this?

Would anything change for a non-metallic application?, I am looking to order one superior white for an Alto 800.
Yes, that means my observation was correct. Com-merge made the colour lighter and even the texture altered. Hence, stopped using it. I think its just a good cleaning agent for the paint.

Did not understand the air spray effect. Generally, spray in 1 second bursts from a distance of around a foot. If you go closer, it will cause excess paint and wrinkles will develop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
One question, Does this color also stick to metal parts ?
It should, unless bare metal is exposed. If bare metal is exposed, it might need primer and filler before you paint it for a perfect finish.

I am planning to touch up a scratch on the door. Lets see if it goes through this long weekend.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 10:29   #23
BHPian

how good is the filler to be used on a white car?

I am wondering if I can just fill up the scratches with a white filler (on my white bumper) and probably spray a clear coat on it to ensure its whiteness?

I have quite a few scratches which I want to fill up on the bumper. I dont want to try any rubbing compound as the scratches are pretty wide & deep as of now and does require a filler.

Anyone tried this?
Old 19th January 2016, 11:37   #24
BHPian

Superb DIY audioholic. Good job there. Could you also please elaborate the order in which the materials need to be applied? I did not get the complete picture of how to use the filler and the paint and number of coats to be applied.

Also any suggestions on using COM-Paint on metallic surfaces? I have a dent on the door(Bosa nova white punto) which I am planning to do myself. Looks like others have experienced color fading over time with white paint. Please let us know if this actually is an issue.
raghu.bramha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 15:24   #25
BHPian

A great job for a first timer, congrats.
Can someone please post links to these products.
Thanks in advance.
Nitish.arnold is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 15:37   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
how good is the filler to be used on a white car?

I am wondering if I can just fill up the scratches with a white filler (on my white bumper) and probably spray a clear coat on it to ensure its whiteness?
The filler is white in colour. But however not flat white. It has a yellowish tinge to it. I tried attempting this on my Pearl white Dio and it looked like dirt on the paint. However, if the job is done neatly, I think it will reduce the extent to which the scratches are seen, especially if the black surface under the paint is exposed. However, I am skeptical about how the filler will behave with clear coat directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.bramha View Post
Superb DIY audioholic. Good job there. Could you also please elaborate the order in which the materials need to be applied? I did not get the complete picture of how to use the filler and the paint and number of coats to be applied.

Also any suggestions on using COM-Paint on metallic surfaces? I have a dent on the door(Bosa nova white punto) which I am planning to do myself. Looks like others have experienced color fading over time with white paint. Please let us know if this actually is an issue.
I am sorry the order wasnt briefed about. Anyways in short, this is how you go about it:
  • Clean the area with water and shampoo if required or if the area has been in contact with oil and dust.
  • Plain water wash
  • Clean with IPA/degreasing foam to remove any hint of oil or grease
  • Apply filler onto applicator/scratch and level the surface with the applicator
  • After the filler dries, it should be wetsanded down and in this process if the filler is lost in essential places, it should be reapplied.
  • Usually after sanding, the filler will only remain where it should be, excess will just wash off hence no concerns applying some extra filler
  • After wetsanding, leave the filler to completely dry for an hour or more, since it would have absorbed some water during wetsanding
  • Later sand it using the finer 2500 grit paper just to ensure smoothness
  • Give a brief initial coat as you see in the picture. Dont aim to achieve 100% coverage
  • After a gap of a few minutes repeat with another coat. This time, try to achieve complete coverage of the filler(no white filler should be seen). If area is too large, do another round
  • The final coat should cover the entire area, but again just as a topping
At any point of time, too much of paint is always bad per coat. However, a little less paint will not do harm. Hence, keep this approach and keep a tab on how much is sprayed. And, spraying paint and spraying a deo is totally different with respect to the quantity

About white paint, I am really skeptical about its durability. I am told that white is one of the most difficult colours to match. Yellowing is something I really cant comment upon, either by knowledge or by experience.

Last edited by audioholic : 19th January 2016 at 15:42.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 18:25   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

@Audioholic, thanks for that !
I had tried CP a few years back. I tried their published process to use CM & CP together, but didnt work great. I did not think of trying just CP (and no CM)

Somehow I am not convinced with CP. But we can still try it on the bumper I guess.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 22:22   #28
BHPian

I thought of spray painting a scratch on my car but the service guy told me that my insurance will be void if I do it & I have to re-paint the entire door panel. Is that true?
Old 19th January 2016, 22:27   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post
Thanks for this wonderful thread.

Hi Groom,

Use a masking tape and some news paper to cover up rest of the area just exposing the area you want to paint. Once painted just remove the paper and tape covering. This will fix the Air gun effect.

Youtube link for reference:

Hope the below image help you understand. In your case replace the marker with the spray can

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Fixing a scraped / scratched bumper-capture.jpg  

T-Bone is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 06:31   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
I thought of spray painting a scratch on my car but the service guy told me that my insurance will be void if I do it & I have to re-paint the entire door panel. Is that true?
The insurance rule goes like - If you have a scratch and you do some touch up work, that damage is considered to be repaired. Hence you cant claim insurance again to repair the same damage, be it a scratch or dent.

For example now in my case I cant claim insurance to get my bumper painted now, BUT if it gets damaged again, I can claim.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks