Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2016, 18:09   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY: Fixing a scraped / scratched bumper

Great thread. And I must say audioholic, you had a great result at the very first attempt. I also tried to fix a bumper last week but my results were a bit different. My biggest worry is that the filler color refuses to vanish. It keeps showing up from underneath even after multiple quotes, albeit much lighter! Did you experience the same?

However, I spent almost the entire can. I did the job once but did it badly. So used the com-merge to take out the paint and restart. In the second attempt I did a far better job but I am afraid it is still not perfect. I will need to do it once more probably from the scratch to do it right, as every time I also realized my mistake in the process. Will need to order another can. May be I will also order the clear coat this time if available in a spray can.

Quick questions though,
1. Did you buy the 2500 grit sand paper separately? The box did not have one
2. Where did you buy the masking tapes from?
3. Does CP sells a clear quote can as well?

One quick closing line for those who are looking to cover a minor scratch or two. CP now has a color pen for you. But not that scam pen which they show in TV. It is a proper color pen that has the same paint as in the can. It comes with the filler as well. So that should be a far better option than spray painting an entire area and then wondering about color match/mismatch!

Last edited by Zappo : 21st January 2016 at 16:00.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 19:44   #32
BHPian

Marvelous job done, I also wanted to check if this will work on rusted spots? I guess it should work.

audioholic, Thanks for sharing, Appreciate it. Let me know if does work on Rusted spots as well.

Cheers
Josh
joshuakeys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 11:04   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The problem I have observed with Com Paint is, it sort of discolors over a period of time.
I agree, me too have observed that the COM-PAINT colors fades and turns into a patch after a year or so. The reason may be that it is a plastic based paint and prone to dissolution when exposed to atmosphere.
Old 21st January 2016, 15:57   #34
BHPian

Awesome DIY write-up! Would like to do the same on my Dzire. However, the issue is that I have a small dent on the rear door of my Dzire; thanks to an erratic auto driver. Any idea how I can fix the dent? Any DIY techniques to fix the dent?
su48 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 16:20   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Great thread. And I must say audioholic, you had a great result at the very first attempt. I also tried to fix a bumper last week but my results were a bit different. My biggest worry is that the filler color refuses to vanish. It keeps showing up from underneath even after multiple quotes, albeit much lighter! Did you experience the same?
Thanks. But I have spray painted before. This was the first time on a car. If the filler still shows up, either you are spraying from too far away which is not putting enough paint to cover up the spot. Try spraying from a closer distance, however, be very swift to avoid excess paint and drip. Which is the colour we are talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Quick questions though,
1. Did you buy the 2500 grit sand paper separately? The box did not have one
2. Where did you buy the masking tapes from?
3. Does CP sells a clear quote can as well?
1. 2500 grit and 400 grit emery card was provided in the box. However, I had the sand paper separately purchased for some other purpose which I used here.

2. Masking tapes procured from hardware shop - Again it will be a part of standard equipment in my toolkit hence did not purchase it exclusively for this.

3. They do. But for clear coat you can buy a Bosny spray can which I have been using from a long time and it is definitely of good quality. It is available in most paint shops and big hardware stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuakeys View Post
Marvelous job done, I also wanted to check if this will work on rusted spots? I guess it should work.
I am not so well versed with this, but I guess to remove rust you need to sand or grind it down completely to bare metal and then start from the primer. Paint will work but just paint will not be enough to get rid of rust or prevent it from spreading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by su48 View Post
Awesome DIY write-up! Would like to do the same on my Dzire. However, the issue is that I have a small dent on the rear door of my Dzire; thanks to an erratic auto driver. Any idea how I can fix the dent? Any DIY techniques to fix the dent?
Post a picture of the dent so that people here will have a better idea. Since it is a door, its better the job be done professionally.
Old 21st January 2016, 17:30   #36
BHPian

Hi audioholic,

Thanks for the info, Just wanted to confirm, The product that u have used is "Com-Paint Pearl White Scratch Remover Value Pack Kit". Let me know if i am going for the right one.

Will try to get the rust spot painted and will post it here .

Cheers
Josh
Old 21st January 2016, 19:24   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the info, Just wanted to confirm, The product that u have used is "Com-Paint Pearl White Scratch Remover Value Pack Kit". Let me know if i am going for the right one.
I got the value pack but the colour is different. This is the pack with all the required materials.
Old 22nd January 2016, 23:06   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

I now curse myself for opening this thread. Unfortunately, Hit and run
Two girls crashed into my car, and ran away before I could even realise what had happened.

DIY: Fixing a scraped / scratched bumper-1.jpg

On the way back home today, just as I entered our area, there is a signal that I have to take right in. The signal displayed green only for going straight and I was on the right lane. As the right signal was red hence we had to come to a halt. As a habit, I glance the IRVM to check if anyone was tailgating me. I saw two young girls riding an access behind me. As I watched them come closer I also braked to a stop. However that lady was too busy talking to the girl behind her and also once she realized I had stopped, she tried to switch to the left lane. A superbike the access is not, it failed to respond to rider inputs and brushed against the bumper.

I am not sure how, but the access just disappeared from my sight, as they had the signal for going straight or I was too busy trying to see what had happened through the RVMs. Need to check dashcam footage to see the two pretty women who had the potential to set me back by a few grand . By the sound of impact I thought I needed a new rear lamp and a bumper.

Work begins tomorrow. This time a little more into detail.
However, I think I might empty the can hence, I am limiting the paint area since most of it can be compounded to a flawless state. Will cover only the top black scrape and mostly will touch up the bottom one. IIRC the bottom black scrape was an old one, so dont know if it was done today.

Last edited by audioholic : 22nd January 2016 at 23:08.
Old 23rd January 2016, 20:14   #39
BHPian

Firstly, thanks a lot @audioholic for introducing me to com-paint through this well written thread. I decided to go ahead and try it out on my Hyundai Xcent and wanted to pen down my experience in a few points.

1) I ordered the value kit from the main web site of com-paint (colour was Hyundai Passion Red)
2) Order placed on 18th, shipped on 19th and delivered on 22nd Jan 2016. Packaging was OK and nothing was damaged.

The steps I followed was as follows:
1) Wash the area with water and wipe dry
2) Use EP 2500 and scrub the area. Wet clean with cloth and then wipe dry again
3) Apply the Com-fill and spread using the rubber applicator. Let it dry for 30 mins
4) Use EP 400 (and some water) and scrub the area to remove excess filler and level/smoothen it. Wipe dry and let it rest for 45 mins
5) Use masking tape and newspapers to isolate the area
6) Start spraying thin coats and give 5 mins gap between coats. Repeat till satisfied.

Learnings/tips from my experience:
1) The passion red is NOT an exact match. It is lighter and more fluorescent than the original colour.
2) Do NOT use the Com-merge for anything. I tried it at the edges and it just messed it up and I had to re-touch it. Use com-merge to remove paint from your hands or any other parts of the car where it was accidentally sprayed
3) Resist the urge to spray more in a coat. I had to do 7 coats to get to this.

Overall, in spite of it not being an exact match, I am quite satisfied with the end result. It definitely looks better than the scratches earlier.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Fixing a scraped / scratched bumper-before.jpg  

DIY: Fixing a scraped / scratched bumper-during.jpg  

DIY: Fixing a scraped / scratched bumper-after.jpg  

praveen789 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 21:14   #40
BHPian

This is awesome! Think I'm going to cover up some scratches that my i20 has accumulated over the years.

Quick question - you did mention that picking up from a local store might be a quicker option. Any suggestions where to get it from?
Old 26th January 2016, 00:15   #41
MAS
Senior - BHPian

While this is an excellent DIY, i would request all to proceed with caution.

I used COM-PAINT on my White Endeavour to cover up the scratches on the bumpers. The results were exactly similar to the ones posted here.

But after a year or so, the entire painted area started turning off-while and then yellow. This is when i realised that the change in colour was due to the lack of lightfastness and heat fastness of the COM-PAINT.

While the painted area looks good on the short run, it turns into an "Nazar-toadd" in the long run, with difference in shade & colour becoming more and more prominent.
MAS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 00:32   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
While this is an excellent DIY, i would request all to proceed with caution.

I used COM-PAINT on my White Endeavour to cover up the scratches on the bumpers. The results were exactly similar to the ones posted here.

But after a year or so, the entire painted area started turning off-while and then yellow. This is when i realised that the change in colour was due to the lack of lightfastness and heat fastness of the COM-PAINT.

While the painted area looks good on the short run, it turns into an "Nazar-toadd" in the long run, with difference in shade & colour becoming more and more prominent.
This is the only reason that is holding me back from trying com-paint. In my city, getting small scratches repaired (like in opening post, or red Xcent) from a roadside painter costs around the same as com-paint but we get better durability, better colour match and better peace of mind because of more predictable results.

I haven't used com-paint but tried a spray can for colouring brake drum and calipers. All that hardwork (removing each wheel by hand, one by one) and the paint was off in patches within one month. Ultimately had to get it painted by a painter who used heat tolerant paint, which has been holding well till now (6+ months).

I would anyday prefer conventional painting over this. Purely my opinion.
Old 26th January 2016, 09:37   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post

Thanks for the caution. I had plans to order one more can for my SX4. However I have currently put the order on hold. Has anyone face an issue with color other than white? Or metallic colors? If yes then I will stop using it completely.

In other lines I am planning to set up an air powered garage Hence I can switch to the conventional paint for such small jobs since I have a guy near my house who does fantastic color matching.
Old 27th January 2016, 09:45   #44
BHPian

Well I have ordered value pack kit, got it yesterday and it has
1.com-paint
2.com-fill
3.com-cut
4.com-mergee
5.emery paper
Haven't read the instructions yet, mean while any information about com-cut, what is it used for? And what about merger can?
I am attaching the pic of the value pack that I ordered.

Will keep you posted when I start the diy stuff during some weekend.

Cheers
Josh
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Fixing a scraped / scratched bumper-1453868011726.jpg  

Old 27th January 2016, 09:52   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
com-cut, what is it used for? And what about merger can?
Com-Cut is a rubbing compound that can be used to polish the surface. However, I have not used it since it is an abrasive and its strength I am unsure of. Will try it on a waste panel I have and see how aggressive it is. Until then, its better to not use it.

Com-merge is something like NC thinner and has the capacity to dissolve your paint and clean it. Hence use it in case paint drips or something. Other than that, dont use it on any painted surface . It does more harm than good.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks