Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2016, 12:03   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
I have read in some forum ( may be dash cam talk) that the author has died in a road accident. He is from soviet block
Yes that's right. The author died and the website too isn't existing anymore.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2016, 15:34   #17
BHPian

Re: DIY Install & Review - The Mini 0806 Dash Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
[*]The biggest plus point of this cam is the data storage capacity. with 2 memory card slots available (Slot A & B), each slot can take a maximum of 128 GB which gets the total limit to humongous 256 GB. I am currently using two Samsung 64 GB memory card of Class 10 (As recommended). After two hours of drive with resolution set at 2560x1080 - 30 fps - 21:9 the total files that get saved are of size 12 GB. I was
Have you tried recording till one of two cards is full and the mini 0806 has to switch over to the 2nd card?

Curious to know as there have been numerous reports of the mini 0806 not switching over to the 2nd card, thus nullifying the purpose of the 2nd slot.

I would gladly upgrade from the 0805 just for the CPL feature if the switching works as it should.
Old 16th April 2016, 16:05   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
Have you tried recording till one of two cards is full and the mini 0806 has to switch over to the 2nd card?

Curious to know as there have been numerous reports of the mini 0806 not switching over to the 2nd card, thus nullifying the purpose of the 2nd slot.
Shall check on this. Card A isn't full yet, still has 34GB space left in it.

Will update once I check on this. Thanks.
Old 16th April 2016, 17:41   #19
BHPian

That's an excellent review .
The Dashcam does look like worth investing in!! (with the kind of roads we have to drive on daily and the mad driving we witness often on them!!)
espraveen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2016, 21:40   #20

Note to mods: uploaded images from tbhp url using "insert image" option but the images are being displayed in full resolution hence going outside the monitor area. Any way to resize the image display so that people can see them conveniently without scrolling?

Hi A4anurag, very nice DIY tutorial and a nice camera as well.

I feel you are not using the CPL filter properly. When used correctly CPL filter is able to cut down dashboard reflections almost completely depending on the angle of the sun. Your results should be something like below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivebyfire View Post

quoted my own post above from here

What you are getting is:

Quote:

Without CPL Filter - Glare from dashboard
Removed oversized link

With CPL Filter - Slight reduction in glare
"removed oversized link"
As far as I can see there is hardly any reduction in dashboard reflections.

You have to rotate the CPL filter to the point where you see that the dashboard reflections off the windshields either disappear or are at their minimum. You will get best results when the the angle of the sun is 90 degrees to angle of you camera. That is if your car is angled such that sun is either coming in from your right window or left window.

The dot that you show in the following image:

Quote:
CPL Filter mounted and set at the required position for best results
Removed oversized link
is not for best result of CPL filter but its just for reference, so if you were to move the position of the camera (say if you had suction cup mount) then every time you wont have to re-adjust CPL filter position, you can simply remember the relative position of dots and adjust CPL filter for best result instantly without looking at the video.

CPL filter works both ways - it can eliminate glare and reflections completely whereas in opposite orientation it can maximize glare and reflections as well (as is the case in Punto Evo picture above). So it is important to adjust CPL filter correctly or else you might end up worsening your dashboard reflections.

You can watch the following youtube video from techmoan to see how to best adjust the CPL filter:

By the way techmoan also has a good video on this dashcam so am putting in the link here for other members to see:

Note from mod: Please do not link to full sized images, it leads to whole page formatting errors

Last edited by tsk1979 : 18th April 2016 at 11:10. Reason: Removing picture links
drivebyfire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2016, 00:00   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Hi A4anurag, very nice DIY tutorial and a nice camera as well.

I feel you are not using the CPL filter properly.

You can watch the following Youtube video from techmoan to see how to best adjust the CPL filter:
Thank you sir for the points and correcting me.

Since I am a total noob in dashcam and the CPL Filter adjustment, shall take my car out tomorrow and adjust it correctly and repost the images and videos.

Thanks once again.

I have seen that video by techmoan already.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2016, 08:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

Great DIY anurag !. Pretty adventurous at that too, testing the fuse slots etc. The video quality at night doesnt seem to be good. Any specific reason that you chose this model over the Indian made Blaupunkt or Transcend ?
Old 17th April 2016, 08:47   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
The video quality at night doesnt seem to be good. Any specific reason that you chose this model over the Indian made Blaupunkt or Transcend ?
Thank you F150.

I have checked the Blaupunkt DVR BP 2.0 and transcend DrivePro 220 where two of my colleague had but not happy with the size. Both these dashcam weren't actually small up go unnoticeable. Transcend DrivePro 220 was retailing at 9.8K.

Found the MINI 0806 to be mini in size with good reviews for both day any night videos. Hence plunged in. Pretty happy with the purchase.
Old 17th April 2016, 18:33   #24
BHPian

Awesome Post ******* .Please post aliexpress link to buy.
sunilsoft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2016, 19:13   #25
BANNED

Quote:
I feel you are not using the CPL filter properly. When used correctly CPL filter is able to cut down dashboard reflections almost completely depending on the angle of the sun.
Sincerely thank you for pointing out the mistake I made all these days by not using the CPL Filter as it should and was mistaken that the dot on the body and one in the first must match for best results.

Went out today and adjusted the CPL Filter and was shocked by the results.

Here's the images:

Before adjustment:
Name:  ForumRunner_20160417_191049.png
Views: 2908
Size:  392.4 KB

After adjustment:
Name:  ForumRunner_20160417_191055.png
Views: 2828
Size:  399.6 KB

Before adjustment - Direct sunlight
Name:  ForumRunner_20160417_191102.png
Views: 2863
Size:  355.5 KB

After adjustment - Direct sunlight
Name:  ForumRunner_20160417_191108.png
Views: 2815
Size:  321.0 KB

Initial setting of CPL Filter
Name:  ForumRunner_20160417_191116.png
Views: 2955
Size:  687.2 KB

Current setting of CPL Filter
Name:  ForumRunner_20160417_191128.png
Views: 2879
Size:  531.5 KB

I am very happy with the results. Thanks once again for pointing out my mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
Awesome Post ******* .Please post aliexpress link to buy.
Thank you sir.

I bought it from GearBest website. Not through AliExpress for a change.

Last edited by a4anurag : 17th April 2016 at 19:16.
a4anurag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2016, 22:56   #26

Quote:
Sincerely thank you...

Went out today and adjusted the CPL Filter and was shocked by the results.
Amazing results - just as I expected. CPL filters really work like magic, I consider it literally the best accessory I ever bought for my DSLR.

It is particularly useful for dashcams and as you show the dashboard reflections are close to gone during day time. At some angles of the light the reflections will be reduced to absolute 0%.

You will find that CPL filter will be just as effective during night time as well, because maximum reflection is caused when car passes under a street light. At that time the reflected light coming from dashboard is at 90 degrees to CPL filter which means that the filter will reduce reflections close to 100%.

Provision of CPL filter is a huge USP of the Mini 0806 which often goes unnoticed as not many people know the utility of CPL filters. I guess this just makes a very competent camera even better.
drivebyfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2016, 23:43   #27
BANNED

Quote:
You will find that CPL filter will be just as effective during night time as well, because maximum reflection is caused when car passes under a street light.
How about the glare from oncoming vehicles with their high beams ON? Will the CPL Filter have any effect on that by reducing it?

Last edited by a4anurag : 17th April 2016 at 23:49.
Old 18th April 2016, 00:57   #28

Quote:
How about the glare from oncoming vehicles with their high beams ON? Will the CPL Filter have any effect on that by reducing it?
CPL filters nullify polarised light from reflections and scattering, so i dont think it can reduce direct glare from on-coming high beams. However it will reduce glare due to dust on windshield/scratches on windshield. But it wont be able to reduce direct light from high beams.

I also dont know too much about this, just letting you know what I have observed by using the CPL filter on my dslr.

On my dslr CPL filter blocks some light (basically reducing light by 1 F stop), so it CAN reduce some incoming light from high beam hitting the camera sensor but effect will not be very pronounced. This is my guess though, so please take it with a pinch of salt.
drivebyfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 07:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for this Anurag. Ive been thinking and juggling between the different options of dashcam and your post came in so very timely.

Its been 2 months now, that i am totally convinced of having one for my car, given the nerve wrecking daily ORR rides that i do at Bangalore these days. Many thanks for this again,.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 09:38   #30
BANNED

After adjusting the CPL filter correctly here's a sample video.

Frame Rate: 45 fps

Frame Rate: 59 fps
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks