Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2016, 21:54   #1
BANNED

DIY: EGR Valve Cleaning (1.3L DDiS / MJD)

Semi-DIY UPDATE

It is been approximately 80 days since I was planning to do the EGR Valve cleaning on my Maruti Swift ZDi (1.3L DDiS aka M.J.D).

Finally I could do it today with help of my FNG and BHPian interc00led. The mechanics did the dismantling and re-fitting whereas we did the cleaning. So I’ll not call this a complete DIY but a semi-DIY.

Reached the garage at 10am and the mechanics started all the disassembly. This process doesn’t look that easy as it is as I was initially in a thought of doing it as a complete DIY when I went through the service manual where they said, one needs to remove the battery, Coolant reservoir and Air filter box assembly to get access to the EGR valve. I was almost convinced but the tight conditions in the engine bay and the fear of breaking something while I do tis DIY, I decided that I’ll let the mechanics do the dismantling whereas I do the cleaning part.

Items required for cleaning:

1) 3M Carb and Choke Cleaner = ₹220. Bought this from Amazon

LINK for purchase: 3M Choke and Carb Cleaner

2) Xado EGR Cleaner Spray = ₹699 – Bought this from Amazon

LINK for purchase: Xado EGR Cleaner Spray

3) CIF Cream White surface cleaner = ₹78 – Bought from the local super market

LINK for purchase: CIF White Cleaner - 500ml

It took us almost 1 hour to do the cleaning with 1.5 hours each to do the disassembly and refitting.

Here are some images taken during the cleaning:

EGR Valve + Cooler from parts manual
DIY: EGR Valve Cleaning (1.3L DDiS / MJD)-1.-egr-valve.jpg

3M Choke and Carb Cleaner
DIY: EGR Valve Cleaning (1.3L DDiS / MJD)-2.-3m-choke-carb-cleaner.jpg

XADO EGR Cleaner
DIY: EGR Valve Cleaning (1.3L DDiS / MJD)-3.-ergvalve32.png

CIF White Cleaner
DIY: EGR Valve Cleaning (1.3L DDiS / MJD)-cifcreamcleanerwhite500ml.jpg

Gaskets and Clamps to be used after cleaning
DIY: EGR Valve Cleaning (1.3L DDiS / MJD)-4.-various-clamps.jpg

EGR Assy being removed from engine
DIY: EGR Valve Cleaning (1.3L DDiS / MJD)-5.-egr-being-removed.jpg

EGR Valve removed from engine
DIY: EGR Valve Cleaning (1.3L DDiS / MJD)-6.-egr-valve-removed.jpg

EGR Cooler being separated from the Valve assembly
DIY: EGR Valve Cleaning (1.3L DDiS / MJD)-7.-cooler-being-separated-valve.jpg

EGR Cooler Carbon deposit
DIY: EGR Valve Cleaning (1.3L DDiS / MJD)-8.-egr-cooler-carbon-deposit.jpg

EGR Cooler Carbon deposit - Another view
DIY: EGR Valve Cleaning (1.3L DDiS / MJD)-9.-egr-cooler-carbon-deposit-another-view.jpg

EGR Valve - Carbon Deposit
DIY: EGR Valve Cleaning (1.3L DDiS / MJD)-10.-egr-vlave-carbon-deposit.jpg

Nozzle which injects the Exhaust gas from EGR into intake manifold - Carbon deposit
DIY: EGR Valve Cleaning (1.3L DDiS / MJD)-11.-nozzle-injects-gas-egr-intake-manifold.jpg

EGR Pipe Clamp
DIY: EGR Valve Cleaning (1.3L DDiS / MJD)-12.-egr-pipe-clamp.jpg

EGR Cooler being cleaned
DIY: EGR Valve Cleaning (1.3L DDiS / MJD)-13.-egr-cooler-cleaned.jpg

EGR Cooler after cleaning
DIY: EGR Valve Cleaning (1.3L DDiS / MJD)-14.-egr-cooler-after-cleaning.jpg

EGR Cooler pipes - post cleaning (I tried zooming into 1 hole to see how clean it was!)
DIY: EGR Valve Cleaning (1.3L DDiS / MJD)-15.-egr-cooler-tried-zooming-into-holes.jpg

EGR Valve after cleaning
DIY: EGR Valve Cleaning (1.3L DDiS / MJD)-16.-egr-valve-after-cleaning.jpg

Nozzle after cleaning
DIY: EGR Valve Cleaning (1.3L DDiS / MJD)-17.-nozzle-after-cleaning.jpg

EGR Valve and Cooler assembled after cleaning
DIY: EGR Valve Cleaning (1.3L DDiS / MJD)-18.-egr-valve-cooler-reassembled.jpg

EGR Shaft that opens and closes the valve depending on throttle input
DIY: EGR Valve Cleaning (1.3L DDiS / MJD)-19.-egr-pin-seen-inside.jpg

Bill for various Clamps and Gaskets (Ignore Part 1 & 6 in the bill - Not related to this Semi-DIY)
DIY: EGR Valve Cleaning (1.3L DDiS / MJD)-20.-bill-ignore-1-6.jpeg

Been just over 1100 kms of which 900 kms are on 100 % highways with speeds between 80 - 120 kmph and the rest 200 kms in city (City speed limits). Not sure if it is psychological but I feel the engine is a bit more silent and the rawness in power delivery is back.

Before cleaning when I start the engine after a gap of 8-9 hours, it used to smoke a bit say for 10 - 15 seconds but now the smoke has disappeared.

Before cleaning I could notice black smoke in my IRVM/ORVM when the engine was at 2500 RPM which made a lot ashamed to press the throttle further but now post cleaning even at 5000 RPM there is no smoke (yes you guys have read it right).

All variables like fuel quality, driving style, driving time, traffic conditions, The driver are ALL same.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th August 2016 at 10:54. Reason: Adding car & engine to first line, since this post has been split to its own thread :)
a4anurag is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 07:37   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Semi-DIY: EGR Cleaning

So finally after so much dillydallying, you managed to get hold of someone who does that in your city
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
[b][u]This process doesn’t look that easy as it is as I was initially in a thought of doing it as a complete DIY when I went through the service manual where they said, one needs to remove the battery, Coolant reservoir and Air filter box assembly to get access to the EGR valve. I was almost convinced but the tight conditions in the engine bay and the fear of breaking something while I do tis DIY, I decided that I’ll let the mechanics do the dismantling whereas I do the cleaning part.
Indeed it is a laborious task to dismantle the EGR more for the fact that a lot of parts which are not easily accessible in the engine bay needs to be removed to take out the EGR valve. When I got my EGR Valve cleaned the ASC, I stood and watched the entire process and realized that things like these apart from proper tools also need the right set-up - possible a lift/bay so that you can access the coolant hose part of the EGR from the bottom too.

Quote:
1) 3M Carb and Choke Cleaner = ₹220. Bought this from Amazon
Quote:
2) Xado EGR Cleaner Spray = ₹699 – Bought this from Amazon
Not sure if you really need both of them when one will do the job. Since the EGR is more of an Electro-Mechanical component than completely electrical, Petrol or a Choke cleaner will do this cleaning perfectly as long as you are able to remove the deposits off the EGR.

Quote:
Been just over 1100 kms of which 900 kms are on 100 % highways with speeds between 80 - 120 kmph and the rest 200 kms in city (City speed limits). Not sure if it is psychological but I feel the engine is a bit more silent and the rawness in power delivery is back.
Indeed not psychological at all.

I felt that too and have shared similar feedback post EGR cleaning and later one a Linea and a Ciaz also got their EGR cleaned and the owners reported the exact feedback. The noise levels reduce and the throttle response also bettered.

Looking at the deposits on the EGR, if is a fact that you cannot deny that cleaning is required at regular intervals than ignore this component. Maruti recommends this every 30,000 but I guess 50K is still a safe interval for the cleaning and depending on your usage - Highway, City mix.

Again - till date I haven't come across a consistent pattern of charging labor for this across the ASCs. Few charge a less as 750/- and some of them 2000/-. Something that has to be brought to the notice of Maruti.

Quote:
Before cleaning I could notice black smoke in my IRVM/ORVM when the engine was at 2500 RPM which made a lot ashamed to press the throttle further but now post cleaning even at 5000 RPM there is no smoke (yes you guys have read it right).
Don't know if EGR was the reason but if cleaning has made the smoke vanish, then it must be it!

In my Ertiga, there has been no traces of smoke till date - Idle or some very good speeds. During our recent drive with 5 other cars, we did some fast driving in certain stretches and when I probed with the driver of the tailing car, he responded that there was no smoke at whatever speeds.

Quote:
All variables like fuel quality, driving style, driving time, traffic conditions
This won't change and I noticed that too.
paragsachania is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 17:13   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: DIY: EGR Valve Cleaning (1.3L DDiS / MJD)

Mod Note: Thanks for sharing, Anurag! Moving your highly detailed post into its own thread, so that others benefit from it.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 18:11   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Semi-DIY UPDATE

Kudos on your detailed report.

What was your Reading when you went for the EGR Cleaning ? The amount of deposit that you had there is mind boggling. Is that a Swift MJD ?

The Renault ASC folks do not follow a fixed routine but they insist on 40K interval to the customer's but then they leave it for customer to agree or not.

Last edited by soumobakshi : 25th August 2016 at 18:15.
soumobakshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 18:41   #5
BHPian

Excellent semi DIY. I agree that though the cleaning part is doable, dismantling and refitting of the plumbing is better left to professionals.

Back in 2014, my figo Tdci started showing the engine check light intermittently around 34000 kms. There was considerable loss in power whenever the light came on. It was diagnosed as stuck egr valve and was cleaned at the service center using thinner from their paint shop, followed by ecu flashing for the engine dying while pressing the clutch issue. The engine felt definitely silent and smoother after the job. Was billed Rs. 800 for the same.

Now at 51000 kms I feel rise in engine noise/clatter again. Though there is no check engine light or power loss. The next service is due at 55k kms. Should I go ahead with the egr cleaning?

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 25th August 2016 at 18:45.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 19:04   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
What was your Reading when you went for the EGR Cleaning ?
Did you mean odometer reading? IIRC it was ~88,000 kms

Quote:
Is that a Swift MJD ?
IMHO since this is the first time the EGR valve is opened, the quantity of carbon seems okay to me. Not the alarming types and the valve was smooth in function even with this quantity of deposit.

Yes buddy it is the 1.3L DDiS aka M.J.D.

Quote:
The Renault ASC folks do not follow a fixed routine but they insist on 40K interval to the customer's but then they leave it for customer to agree or not.
Maruti guys have an interval of 30,000 kms though in both my cars (Ritz VDi - 1.1L kms and Swift ZDi - 90K kms and counting) never have I got this cleaning done at MASS. I am not sure of they'll do it in this detail and with care. Hence I decided to do to the cleaning part myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Excellent semi DIY. I agree that though the cleaning part is doable, dismantling and refitting of the plumbing is better left to professionals.
Exactly. Initially I thought Ill do the whole thing myself but when I saw the difficulty in getting things out and back-in, I think it was a wise decision to let the mechanics do the dismantling and re-assembly job.

Quote:
Now at 51000 kms I feel rise in engine noise/clatter again. Though there is no check engine light or power loss. The next service is due at 55k kms. Should I go ahead with the egr cleaning?
No harm in getting it done but I'll suggest to dismantle and clean it thoroughly rather than any shortcuts that ASC's use.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 19:10   #7
BHPian

I plan to do the same on my Figo Tdci its covered 64,000 kms. The engine seems a bit strained and the noise has gone up considerably. Am going to enquire about the valve cleaning at the next service due in a few weeks.

Quote:

Back in 2014, my figo Tdci started showing the engine check light intermittently around 34000 kms. There was considerable loss in power whenever the light came on. It was diagnosed as stuck egr valve and was cleaned at the service center using thinner from their paint shop, followed by ecu flashing for the engine dying while pressing the clutch issue. The engine felt definitely silent and smoother after the job. Was billed Rs. 800 for the same.

lionell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 22:05   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
The engine seems a bit strained and the noise has gone up considerably. Am going to enquire about the valve cleaning at the next service due in a few weeks.
If you are doing this at the ASC, try and stand by the car.

Ask them to clean the EGR valve + EGR Cooler + intake manifold which completes the cleaning job efficiently.

I only did 50% of the cleaning (only the EGR valve and cooler). Didn't have the guts to let the mechanics open the intake manifold.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 13:32   #9
BHPian

Re: DIY: EGR Valve Cleaning (1.3L DDiS / MJD)

Anurag or anyone on the forum has an idea what are the costs involved in the cleaning. I'd like to make sure about the cost so the ASC doesn't fleece me.

Quote:
If you are doing this at the ASC, try and stand by the car.

Ask them to clean the EGR valve + EGR Cooler + intake manifold which completes the cleaning job efficiently.

I only did 50% of the cleaning (only the EGR valve and cooler). Didn't have the guts to let the mechanics open the intake manifold.
Old 26th August 2016, 13:55   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
Anurag or anyone on the forum has an idea what are the costs involved in the cleaning. I'd like to make sure about the cost so the ASC doesn't fleece me.
ASC charges 1100 to 1500 rupees for cleaning the EGR , i find it reasonable as it takes lot of time to remove and assemble it back to ddis engine . Hyundai have placed their egr in front so its takes very less effort and time to clean the egr .
Old 26th August 2016, 14:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ASC charges 1100 to 1500 rupees for cleaning the EGR , i find it reasonable as it takes lot of time to remove and assemble it back to ddis engine . Hyundai have placed their egr in front so its takes very less effort and time to clean the egr .
Yes, Depends on which ASC.

FIAT ASC quoted 2600 to clean the EGR valve last year.

My Linea has a weird problem. The turbo seems to start spooling only 2000rpm onwards!

I've got the turbo hose checked for leaks, there's none (as per the super duper 'competent' FASC in Bangalore)

Anyway, the result is that it's giving me better fuel economy in 3rd gear than before ! Drivability is brilliant!

I shift to 5th (at ~2600rpm) only on the highways now !

But, to be serious, I guess I should really get the car checked at some place else.

The engine noise has surely increased since a year & even the surge has gone.

If someone knows a decent place in Bangalore, please suggest.
Old 28th August 2016, 23:37   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Semi-DIY UPDATE

It is been approximately 80 days since I was planning to do the EGR Valve cleaning on my Maruti Swift ZDi (1.3L DDiS aka M.J.D).

Thank you very much for this detailed report. i own a early 2015 Maruti Swift vdi, and since some time back i started to notice that the immediate surge in the power deliver was reduced by 7 to 10 percent and the torque which was earlier delivered at exact 2000 rpm and pushed me back in the seat was now arriving at 2300 2400 rpm and was not that strong too. i have tried many things like using injector cleaners, changing the air filter every couple of thousand kilometers but haven't seen anything to improve the torque delivery. other thing to note is that i drive my car everyday to a pretty remote location which has an almost off-road dusty 2km section to and fro everyday. my car has done 17900 km and is 1.5 years old. Did you face any such problems of delayed turbo kick from earlier 2000 to now 2300 rpm ? and did this cleaning solve the problem ? did it improve the overall(off-boost) torque delivery and drivability ?

Last edited by theMAG : 29th August 2016 at 02:15. Reason: Please do not quote entire posts, in the best interests of readability. Thanks.
Old 29th August 2016, 02:21   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliAbdullah View Post
Did you face any such problems of delayed turbo kick from earlier 2000 to now 2300 rpm ? and did this cleaning solve the problem ? did it improve the overall(off-boost) torque delivery and drivability ?
Before the cleaning and after the cleaning, boost develops at 2100 RPM (18.9 psi as indicated in Torque PRO App) no change in that.

Cleaning helped as I haven't noticed some during acceleration part 3000 RPM.

Low end torque and driveavility is similar as before.
Old 4th July 2017, 23:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

Does a petrol egr valve needs cleaning? I have a Civic running on cng which causes stalling issues while idling. I have already done coil/ plugs change and throttle body cleaning. Next the Hass advised if problem persists could be due to Egr valve. But he talked about replacement and not cleaning so wanted to know.

Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th July 2017 at 01:46. Reason: fixing typo
Old 5th July 2017, 01:14   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Does a petrol egr valve needs cleaning? I have a Civic running on cng which causes stalling issues while idling. I have already done coil/ plugs change and throttle body cleaning. Next the Hass advised if problem persists could be due to Egr valvle. But he talked about replacement and not cleaning so wanted to know.

Thanks.
Cars like Maruti Ritz/Swift have EGR valve and MASS replaces/cleans EGR depending on how clogged the valve is. A clogged EGR gives issue like stalling, erratic idling in petrol cars.

So cleaning the EGR is definitely possible in petrol cars.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks