Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2020, 18:31   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

DIY: Auto-dimming IRVM install in my Tata Nexon

One more DIY surgery execution is now complete on the Nexon. Installed an auto-dimming IRVM (internal rear view mirror) in place of the manual day-night IRVM that came with the car. When I had first visited a showroom to check the Nexon after launch in 2017, I had done so only to check how DIY and mod friendly this car is. I had a feeling that this car was a dream come true for DIY folks. And so far it holds true.

DIY: Auto-dimming IRVM install in my Tata Nexon-installed_inside.jpg

The actual installation will pretty much be the same for almost all cars! The only 2 things that will change will be the holder bracket at the back of the mirror & the fuse into which you'll tap the wiring for it.

So here's what you'll need -
  1. An auto-dimming IRVM with correct holder. (For Nexon, use the TYPE 30 bracket when ordering.)
  2. A small Allen key to tighten the mirror holder in place. (Included in the package. This is applicable on select holder types. Some might not need it.)
  3. A screw driver with good length. It should be able to reach near the back edge of the cabin fuse-box.
  4. A micro fuse tap.
  5. Fuse removal clip. (Comes with the car in engine bay fuse-box.)
  6. Owners' manual - to identify suitable fuses to tap into
  7. Small size zip ties for wire tidy-up.
  8. Optional - trim removal kit. I don't have one & didn't need one.

Sourcing the Mirror -

Here's the link for the exact item I purchased. Same one can be purchased for any car, with correct bracket selection during ordering.

AliExpress Sinairyu Auto Dimming IRVM

Due to Corona havoc in China, my package got delayed by almost 15 days.
  • When placing the order, select the correct bracket type. The seller on this particular link is really good. He communicates very regularly & nicely.
  • If you don't know which bracket to order - send a picture of your current mirror's holder (after removing it) to the seller in AliExp app messages. He will let you know the correct bracket. Mention the same in order notes when placing the order also.
  • He sends test pictures, videos & package photos when shipping also.

DIY: Auto-dimming IRVM install in my Tata Nexon-newmorror.jpg

About the mirror -
  • Auto dimming IRVMs aren't prismatic with different reflective surfaces. Instead, they have a greenish tinting effect (implemented using an electrochromic gel). Pretty much the same thing that's implemented in the Boeing 787 Dreamliner's cabin windows instead of conventional pull-down blinds.
  • The mirror has 2 sensors. 1 at the back & 1 at the front below the glass. Product description shows the back sensor as "show piece". It isn't .
  • The rear sensor is ambient light sensor. If it "sees" darkness, it means its dusk/night & the front sensor's input will be considered.
  • Front sensor is the one that will be hit when a car behind us rides with high beams (like all of them really).
  • When rear sensor notes night & front sensor gets light - the mirror logic will trigger auto-dimming. Once the light on the front sensor is gone, it will return to day mode without tinting.
  • The rear sensor is positioned pretty well & it doesn't consider oncoming traffic's headlamps as "day". Works pretty well.

Quick test at home -
  • For anything electronic/electrical, I prefer to do a test rig setup at home & test it before going and opening up the car.
  • This way if there is any fault in the product, time and effort are saved.
  • I tested it by using a simple 2A/12V power adapter. Connect the red wire to +ve and black wire to -ve of the adapter.
  • Place the mirror with its back on a mattress / floor such that it "feels" its dark.
  • The mirror should dim/normalize when you cover and uncover the front sensor. Depending on the lighting conditions - you might have to simply point a torch at the front sensor.
  • As a last step - lift the mirror & cover and uncover the back sensor. It should dim/normalize. This will ensure that both sensors are working properly.

Last edited by Reinhard : 16th March 2020 at 13:45.
Reinhard is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 10:33   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: DIY: Auto-dimming IRVM install in my Tata Nexon

Hardware Installation

Removing the stock IRVM -
  • Simply push the rear bracket of the existing mirror upwards (towards roof lining) & it will just slide out. No excess force required. Gentle does it.
  • The holder piece should remain stuck firm on the windshield of course. The new mirror will slide into it.

Fixing the new mirror -
  • The mirror will come pre-installed with the bracket selected at the time of ordering.
  • Unwind the small screw on the holder using the provided Allen key. This is to ensure smooth & easy slide-in into position.
  • Gently slide the bracket into the stock holder on the windshield. Do not force if it doesn't fit. Either you aren't aligning the grooves properly or the screw needs to be loosened more. Absolutely no force is needed at this step. The mirror is quite heavy & should easily slide down with its own weight in fact.
  • Once it is fully at the bottom of the holder - tighten the screw using the Allen key - gently. Don't turn too much, it will add stress on the windshield glass. This step will ensure the holder doesn't vibrate during driving. This is probably the hardest step of the whole project since the screw is pretty much invisible once the mirror is in place.

DIY: Auto-dimming IRVM install in my Tata Nexon-fixmirror_allenkey.jpg

Routing the wires
  • Simply slide the wire under the roof lining along the top edge of the windshield. The wire should run towards the driver side A-Pillar. No tools needed at all.
  • Pull the door sill rubber lining along the A-pillar on driver side. A trim remover spatula can make this easier. Be careful not to tear the rubber if you are doing it by bare hands. Hold near the base & pull. Not near the top edge of the rubber.
  • Gently pull the plastic panel covering the A pillar on the inside, towards the steering wheel. It should pop out & expose an easy working space to route the wiring towards foot well.

DIY: Auto-dimming IRVM install in my Tata Nexon-a_pillarremoved.jpg

DIY: Auto-dimming IRVM install in my Tata Nexon-a_pillarremoved_2.jpg

• Route the wiring properly through the A-pillar between the plastic panel & the monocoque steel. Note - there is an insulation foam inside the cavity. Ensure the wiring doesn't crumple it too much.
  • There is a cheeky little gap between the bottom edge of the dashboard & the top edge of the bottom side panel besides the driver seat on door sill. Use it to route the wire behind the dashboard & cabin fusebox.

DIY: Auto-dimming IRVM install in my Tata Nexon-wireunderdashboard.jpg

• Once this is done - reinstall the A-pillar plastic panel as well as the door beading by gently pushing it back in place. No tools required. Ensure that the foam/fiber parts of roof lining are properly aligned and not stuck anywhere for a perfect finish.

DIY: Auto-dimming IRVM install in my Tata Nexon-apillarreinstalled.jpg

Last edited by Reinhard : 16th March 2020 at 18:07.
Reinhard is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 10:51   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Electrical installation & functional testing

Opening the cabin fuse box -
  • I'll simply refer to the car manual for convenience here.

DIY: Auto-dimming IRVM install in my Tata Nexon-fuseboxlod.jpg

Finding the correct fuse to power the mirror -
  • Again, let's refer to the car owners' manual. For any car, the in-cabin fuses will be detailed in the manual.
  • We are looking for a fuse that gets power when the car is in ignition mode. Generally look for the ACC(essory) or EPAS/Console fuses. I went with the latter.

DIY: Auto-dimming IRVM install in my Tata Nexon-cabinfuselist.jpg

Connect the power & ground wiring -
  • The new IRVM comes with a pre-soldered 5A fuse on the red wire for power. We just have to tap this one into a fuse tap.
  • Pluck out your identified fuse from its holder.
  • Take a micro-size fuse tap & install the new IRVM's fuse at the top slot of it.
  • Install the car's existing fuse (plucked earlier) in the lower slot of the fuse tap (near the base of the tap).
  • Install the fuse tap into the selected fuse properly. Ensure it is properly fixed & won't pop out under normal driving car vibrations.
  • Since the IRVM comes with a fuse of itself - the pigtail of the fuse-tap will not be needed at all. Simply zip tie it together with the bundle of excess IRVM wiring. Ensure all of it is properly secured with sufficient zip ties & isn't loose inside the fuse box. You'll see it marked by a yellow square in the image below.
  • Connect the earth wire (black) lug with an earthing screw. The holding screw at the lower edge base of the fuse-box is screwed into the chassis & gives grounding. This is where you'll need a sufficiently long screw driver to reach it. You'll see it marked by a blue rectangle in the image below (Just under and to the left of the yellow square).

DIY: Auto-dimming IRVM install in my Tata Nexon-tapinto_cabinfusebox.jpg

Finished Look -
  • This is how it looks from the outside after installation is all done.
  • The horizontal white line you see above the IRVM, is a reflection of the tube-light on the parking roof above.

DIY: Auto-dimming IRVM install in my Tata Nexon-installed_outside.jpg

Functional Test -
  • Here is a quick video of test in the car with simulated lighting conditions.
  • Note that I had not yet tightened the holder screw. Hence the mirror moves around when I touch it. It is no longer the case .
  • The wire seen hanging on the LHS of the image is that of my 70mai dashcam. I had removed it during mirror install. Its neatly tucked in now. The dash-cam is completely hidden behind the IRVM.
  • The mirror still had the protective film sticker on glass. Hence the image appears a bit distorted / bubbly. I removed it after installation was complete. Reflection image is perfect & flawless.
  • In the opening post of the thread, you'll see the finished result. How it looks overall. Film removed & all wires tidied up.

• I have tested it for a couple of days now. Works fantastic & makes driving in dark very convenient.
  • I never liked the stock manual day-night IRVM. Upon flicking the Day-Night switch, it always moved & I had to readjust the mirror to correct position!
  • This auto-dimming IRVM turns ON by default when you turn to ACC/Ignition mode. If you don't want it - turn it off manually. It will NOT remember your last setting (ON/OFF) and will always start with ON.

INR 3.5K and roughly 15 minutes well spent I must say. A worthy & must-have update for any car on our roads I'd say. Considering hardly anyone drives on low beams (as they should) after sunset, this makes a world of difference. Cheers!

Last edited by Reinhard : 16th March 2020 at 18:09.
Reinhard is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 19:15   #4
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 22:02   #5
BHPian

I have the same mirror but have managed to break the mounting bracket twice within 5 minutes of installation, I’ve now ordered the replacement bracket for the second time. Let’s hope it doesn’t break this time. I’d advise you to refrain from adjusting the mirror angle too much and if you do it then do it with very gentle hands.
shivamk11 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 22:04   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivamk11 View Post
I have the same mirror but have managed to break the mounting bracket twice within 5 minutes of installation, I’ve now ordered the replacement bracket for the second time. Let’s hope it doesn’t break this time. I’d advise you to refrain from adjusting the mirror angle too much and if you do it then do it with very gentle hands.
Thanks for the heads-up! Yes, I don't think I'll be moving it much. The car is used only by me, so adjustment won't be needed again too often.

Last edited by Reinhard : 16th March 2020 at 22:06.
Old 16th March 2020, 22:06   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Thanks for the heads-up! Exactly what part has broken though? Because the mounting bracket that I got is all metal! So if something breaks - it will most likely be the mirror itself.
This is the part which always breaks, the lock is very thin and breaks easily. Extremely brittle.
DIY: Auto-dimming IRVM install in my Tata Nexon-c323166fdbbb4968b38c5c4bf31a3710.jpeg
shivamk11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 22:08   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is the part which always breaks, the lock is very thin and breaks easily. Extremely brittle.
Attachment 1980681
Is that plastic? Hard to tell from the picture! Seems metallic too. I have got a metallic one. Seems quite durable.
Old 16th March 2020, 22:10   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Is that plastic? Hard to tell from the picture! Seems metallic too. I have got a metallic one. Seems quite durable.
Yes it is metal, same make and bracket as yours.
BTW great DIY guide.
shivamk11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 09:55   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DIY: Auto-dimming IRVM install in my Tata Nexon

Quote:
Attachment 1980681
Is it possible to swap the bracket from the stock mirror and fix it to the Auto dimming one? I see a philips screw on the bracket. I presume that it is to remove the bracket from the mirror body. If the stock mirror also has a removable bracket then it should be a easy swap.

I did a similar swap with the stock bracket on my i20 when i was installing the Auto dimming mirror. The bracket given with the Auto dimming mirror was not sliding properly. So i just replaced it with the bracket of the stock mirror and it fit.

Also check if the bracket is available as a spare from Tata. If yes, you can order a couple of them from TASS and keep for future needs.

I need a similar mirror for my Tiago. Any idea what is the bracket number for tiago?
Old 17th March 2020, 09:57   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Is it possible to swap the bracket from the stock mirror and fix it to the Auto dimming one? I see a philips screw on the bracket. I presume that it is to remove the bracket from the mirror body. If the stock mirror also has a removable bracket then it should be a easy swap.

I did a similar swap with the stock bracket on my i20 when i was installing the Auto dimming mirror. The bracket given with the Auto dimming mirror was not sliding properly. So i just replaced it with the bracket of the stock mirror and it fit.

Also check if the bracket is available as a spare from Tata. If yes, you can order a couple of them from TASS and keep for future needs.

I need a similar mirror for my Tiago. Any idea what is the bracket number for tiago?
Hello, it's not possible to use stock bracket in the aftermarket mirror. Only seller can provide the replacement bracket. Also, for Tiago you need bracket #30.
shivamk11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 10:04   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello, it's not possible to use stock bracket in the aftermarket mirror. Only seller can provide the replacement bracket. Also, for Tiago you need bracket #30.
Yes, just checked boodmo. The bracket is in built into the mirror

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-assy...glare-6609410/

Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up! Yes, I don't think I'll be moving it much. The car is used only by me, so adjustment won't be needed again too often.
To remove the stock mirror, should it be pushed up towards to roof?

Also, regarding the weak bracket pointed out by fellow member, please update this thread on how it holds up with daily use

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th March 2020 at 11:34. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button (QUOTE+) while quoting and replying to multiple posts. Thanks.
Old 17th March 2020, 10:47   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
To remove the stock mirror, should it be pushed up towards to roof?
Quote:
Removing the stock IRVM -
  • Simply push the rear bracket of the existing mirror upwards (towards roof lining) & it will just slide out. No excess force required. Gentle does it.
  • The holder piece should remain stuck firm on the windshield of course. The new mirror will slide into it.
In the Nexon & most other Tata cars - yes. Just push upwards, as mentioned here ^^.

Quote:
Also, regarding the weak bracket pointed out by fellow member, please update this thread on how it holds up with daily use
Yes certainly. Especially if it breaks - I'll surely post it. It seems sturdy enough though. Fingers crossed!
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 11:22   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Which seller on Aliexpress did you buy from? Maybe, the bracket quality depends on the seller. Just thinking out loud.
Old 17th March 2020, 11:24   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Which seller on Aliexpress did you buy from? Maybe, the bracket quality depends on the seller. Just thinking out loud.
I bought it from the same seller as OP, Sinairyu.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks