Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2021, 15:35   #1
BHPian

Upgraded to an auto-dimming rear view mirror for Rs. 838 | EDIT: Honda hikes price to Rs 6500

Upgraded to an auto-dimming rear-view mirror for Rs. 838.

Inspired by multiple DIYers on this forum, I too managed to upgrade to an auto-dimming IRVM on my wife’s Ciaz Delta 2021.

The back story goes, we’ve never had base models of any car in the house, until this one was accidentally bought by my car noob fiancé (now wife). The chip shortage plus the generally slow market led towards multiple failed attempts to find an Alpha variant of the Ciaz.

The accidental bit is defined by the fact the variant nomenclature by Nexa is descriptive only when talking about the ALPHA, which makes sense as that word automatically broadcasts the superior product. The ones below in descending order are then Zeta, Delta, and Sigma. These make no sense unless you know Greek.

The dealership in Ludhiana had a Delta ready and she just picked it up thinking it is one below the Alpha and would have all important if not flamboyant features. Alas, it isn’t and lacks a lot of necessary must-haves. The auto-dimming rear view mirror to be one extremely important function in all of the household’s opinion.

I began to search around for the mirror upgrade threads on Team-bhp. I came across great threads by Leoshashi: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...uzuki-xl6.html (DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM install in a Maruti Suzuki XL6)

and chiranjitp: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...uti-swift.html (DIY: Installing an Auto-Dimming IRVM and Digital Clock & Temperature Display in my Maruti Swift)

Chiranjitp’s thread was an eye-opener with his discovery of a Rs. 422 part on Boodmo.com for a Honda City ZX 4th generation. It fitted perfectly in his decade-old Swift. No kidding, it is actually that price!!

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-76400t4rj11-12566131/

As described on the thread by Chiranjitp, the Honda mirror has a 5-wire connector, but the ones of interest are the red-live and black-ground. I had them both extended 1.5 meters and heat shrunk.
The black wire was crimped to a brass wire terminal, which would later find a place on a dashboard bolt to provide the ground connection.
I had to find a fuse tap for the live wire connection and was helped by a fellow bhpian JithinR to get it from this website
https://www.nexdigitron.com/collecti...w-profile-mini

The Ciaz uses a low-profile mini fuse design. A set of two was available for Rs. 199+ shipping = Rs. 258. Delivery was quick, and the two bots were perfect and robust. They came with 5-ampere fuses pre-installed.

The red wire was crimped onto the existing crimp on the fuse tap (after routing the wire to the fuse box). Now I was ready with the whole shebang. For those who aren’t physics buffs, and need to understand how exactly to determine which fuse/blank terminal to tap into, or which direction to put the fuse tap, please watch this stellar video

Enter, big problem. I couldn’t knock out the factory fitted IRVM. I was too tight and brute strength was predictive of a cracked windshield. I went to Maruti and had a workman knock it off without telling him why I want it off. He obliged.

The mounting button is kind of the same across Japanese cars and it wouldn’t be an issue to swap a Maruti part with a Honda part.
Once ready with this as well, on a lazy evening away from patients and the hospital, I began installing the mirror.

Step 1: remove the right had A-pillar. No need for pry tools or any tools like a screwdriver. It comes off easily with just your fingers.

Step 2: mount the new mirror on to the button and tighten the Torx bolt. This one has a bolt, the original mirror doesn’t and stays snug on the button with the help of a metal clip.

Step 3: route the two wires along the edge of the headliner, towards the right A-pillar and then along the wire loom on the A-pillar. Tie it up at a few points to keep it there. You may or may not choose to use a wire cover on the part in between the mirror and the headliner. I chose not to as it isn’t a visual blob; it sits there discreetly against the black paint. The small, useless plastic cover itself costs half as much as the mirror at 200 rupees!

Step 4: The black wire terminal is screwed on to the dashboard holding bolt which was surprisingly loose when I fiddled with it!

Step 5: Route the red wire into the gap in between the dash and the quarter glass. It is important to remember NOT to crimp the fuse tap BEFORE you get the wire to the fuse box. It won’t go as it’s a tight gap. And once the wire gets there, it's dangling way too high to be able to grab by hand. I had to use a laparoscopic instrument from my operating room to get it down. Tough task as you have to twist and turn your body in the driver footwell to be able to see up there and work on the fuse box.

Step 6: crimp the fuse tap onto the red wire and hook it up to the pre-determined blank fuse socket. A socket that has power only after ignition start and is preferably a blank slot. Lucky me, the Ciaz has just the one encircled in the photo. Note that the box cover won’t fit after the tap is fitted. It’s a chunky bit. A cover isn’t needed anyway.

Step 7: put back the A-pillar trim by hand.

Step 8: fire up the ignition and test the function with a torchlight. Worked immediately for me.

Step 9: clean up, wash up and go for a drive.

I’d like to mention this particular mirror is frameless but has a 5-6mm border which doesn’t darken. This is enough to make you squint when high beam lights shine on to your IRVM. I was immediately disappointed at that, but you could negate its effect by adjusting the mirror a bit diagonally downwards to your line of sight. It works well then.

The total cost was:
Mirror + shipping= Rs. 529
Wire lengths and soldering Rs. 150
Fuse tap Rs. 159
Total Rs. 838.

This is the first time a Honda part is seen selling for thousands less than a Maruti part. If I remember correctly, the upgrade kit from Maruti is at least Rs. 10,000 on Boodmo. I recommend all of you to do this simply DIY as long as the part is available for peanuts on the website. It isn’t a difficult job and would improve your night driving experience a lot!

P.S. this is my second thread, and again I am not able to add the photos in line with the relevant text. I just don't know how to. Hence, all photos are grouped together and should make pictoral sense of the actions made.

thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Upgraded to an auto-dimming rear view mirror for Rs. 838 | EDIT: Honda hikes price to Rs 6500-img_20211017_173725.jpg  

Upgraded to an auto-dimming rear view mirror for Rs. 838 | EDIT: Honda hikes price to Rs 6500-img_20211016_115007.jpg  

Upgraded to an auto-dimming rear view mirror for Rs. 838 | EDIT: Honda hikes price to Rs 6500-img_20211016_114948.jpg  

Upgraded to an auto-dimming rear view mirror for Rs. 838 | EDIT: Honda hikes price to Rs 6500-img20211016wa0002.jpg  

Upgraded to an auto-dimming rear view mirror for Rs. 838 | EDIT: Honda hikes price to Rs 6500-img_20211017_172025.jpg  

Upgraded to an auto-dimming rear view mirror for Rs. 838 | EDIT: Honda hikes price to Rs 6500-img_20211017_1732432.jpg  

Upgraded to an auto-dimming rear view mirror for Rs. 838 | EDIT: Honda hikes price to Rs 6500-img_20211018_153700.jpg  

Upgraded to an auto-dimming rear view mirror for Rs. 838 | EDIT: Honda hikes price to Rs 6500-img_20211017_171213.jpg  

Upgraded to an auto-dimming rear view mirror for Rs. 838 | EDIT: Honda hikes price to Rs 6500-img_20211017_172350.jpg  

Upgraded to an auto-dimming rear view mirror for Rs. 838 | EDIT: Honda hikes price to Rs 6500-img_20211017_171115.jpg  

Upgraded to an auto-dimming rear view mirror for Rs. 838 | EDIT: Honda hikes price to Rs 6500-vlcsnap2021101815h32m58s103.png  

Last edited by lemedico : 18th October 2021 at 15:45. Reason: Added a photo
lemedico is online now   (70) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 22:21   #2
BHPian

re: Upgraded to an auto-dimming rear view mirror for Rs. 838 | EDIT: Honda hikes price to Rs 6500

I guess this is quickly being the 'hot' DIY that's happening on the forum. Unfortunately it's already been a month and Boodmo is yet to ship my package. They've already changed the delivery date 4 times. How long did it take them to deliver your package?

Upgraded to an auto-dimming rear view mirror for Rs. 838 | EDIT: Honda hikes price to Rs 6500-20211018_215717_0000.png

Me and my friend are planning on adding this to Ignis and Amaze respectively. I know we'll have to procure the mirror mounts from scrap. I guess for Ignis, I'll have to use the same fuse tap you used. I won't be going the DIY route though. Don't have either the appetite or tools for the job.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 22:55   #3
BHPian

re: Upgraded to an auto-dimming rear view mirror for Rs. 838 | EDIT: Honda hikes price to Rs 6500

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post

I’d like to mention this particular mirror is frameless but has a 5-6mm border which doesn’t darken. This is enough to make you squint when high beam lights shine on to your IRVM. I was immediately disappointed at that, but you could negate its effect by adjusting the mirror a bit diagonally downwards to your line of sight. It works well then.
Great DIY!!
I remember buying a autodimming mirror from Aliexpress in 2017 for 6K for the Tiago which is now doing it's duty in my Ignis. Maruti asked me 10K I think. And this trick was not known then.

For border that doesn't darken you can just take a permanent marker and draw suitable width of line and see how you like. If you don't like it you just erase it with alcohol.
archat68 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 23:02   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeleri_Achu View Post
I guess this is quickly being the 'hot' DIY that's happening on the forum. Unfortunately it's already been a month and Boodmo is yet to ship my package. They've already changed the delivery date 4 times. How long did it take them to deliver your package?

Attachment 2220877

Me and my friend are planning on adding this to Ignis and Amaze respectively. I know we'll have to procure the mirror mounts from scrap. I guess for Ignis, I'll have to use the same fuse tap you used. I won't be going the DIY route though. Don't have either the appetite or tools for the job.
Why would you need new mounts? Just use the ones already pasted to your windscreen!

Yep, the shipping date changed plenty for me too. I guess it was a 5-6 week saga between payment and delivery. But worth the wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Great DIY!!
I remember buying a autodimming mirror from Aliexpress in 2017 for 6K for the Tiago which is now doing it's duty in my Ignis. Maruti asked me 10K I think. And this trick was not known then.

For border that doesn't darken you can just take a permanent marker and draw suitable width of line and see how you like. If you don't like it you just erase it with alcohol.
We've got fellow bhpian chiranjitp to thank for this discovery. He's saved us tonnes of cash. Beers on us mate!

As I said in my post, a diagonal tilt negates the glare from the borders. However, your tip is welcome for when the tilt too seems to fail.

Last edited by moralfibre : 21st October 2021 at 01:23. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use multi-quote option when replying to multiple posts. Thank you!
lemedico is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 23:05   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
Why would you need new mounts? Just use the ones already pasted to your windscreen!
Mirror is mounted to the roof on Ignis, like the Swift. So need to get the mounts from scrap. Likewise for the Amaze. There is no windshield mount.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 23:08   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Mirror is mounted to the roof on Ignis, like the Swift. So need to get the mounts from scrap. Likewise for the Amaze. There is no windshield mount.
Alright. Perhaps a visit to the nearest windshield experts would help you find mirror mounts off broken windscreens.
lemedico is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 23:50   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately it's already been a month and Boodmo is yet to ship my package. They've already changed the delivery date 4 times. How long did it take them to deliver your package?
When I placed a order for the mirror mid August I got it delivered in under a week by 23rd August. Packaging was good.

Quote:
I know we'll have to procure the mirror mounts from scrap. I guess for Ignis, I'll have to use the same fuse tap you used.
Glad you all are loving this much needed Mod in our cars , being in India I see this as a huge requirment. During my install in my 2006 Swift I found the mounts in MASS where they change the windshield. They had lots of broken windshields , mainly of Brezza, Baleno, Ignis and Ciaz. I thoroughly enjoyed doing this DIY on my 15 year old Swift
Attached Thumbnails
Upgraded to an auto-dimming rear view mirror for Rs. 838 | EDIT: Honda hikes price to Rs 6500-screenshot_20211018233921__01.jpg  

Ashtoncastelino is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 11:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Irrespective of where the IVRM is mounted, the mount remains same. So no worries. In fact in the roof mounted IVRM is safe to remove and install than the windshield one.
archat68 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 16:08   #9
BHPian

Nice mod there. Could you please share a close up of the city's auto dimming mirror image so that I can try if it works with my EcoSport.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 16:39   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
Nice mod there. Could you please share a close up of the city's auto dimming mirror image so that I can try if it works with my EcoSport.
Everyone here is getting it from Boodmo (Honda City Auto Dimming IRVM).
JithinR is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 16:56   #11
Team-BHP Support

Haha looks like this mirror is a big hit! I got one for testing on what all cars it would fit. Boodmo must be wondering what’s with so many orders for this lone mirror all of a sudden!

Upgraded to an auto-dimming rear view mirror for Rs. 838 | EDIT: Honda hikes price to Rs 6500-731af55098fc4883b8728624c8acac20.jpeg

Upgraded to an auto-dimming rear view mirror for Rs. 838 | EDIT: Honda hikes price to Rs 6500-efc1daf720e84942b5562fac182825ff.jpeg

Upgraded to an auto-dimming rear view mirror for Rs. 838 | EDIT: Honda hikes price to Rs 6500-62ad496733554dc2b93f6ce4b46ac80a.jpeg

Upgraded to an auto-dimming rear view mirror for Rs. 838 | EDIT: Honda hikes price to Rs 6500-e9804ca2b1594c06886546e2b08580c8.jpeg

A couple of friends got it for their Amaze and Jazz. On the Amaze, there’s no mount on the windshield so we’ll have to source one from Windshield Experts. Could not find a separate mount on Boodmo.

Many thanks to the BHPian(s) who shared this info on the other thread. Much appreciated!

Quote:
Dude, it took a while for us too. Boodmo kept changing the dates a few times. Don’t fret - it will eventually reach you (since the part is still in stock).

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th October 2021 at 17:01.
Gannu_1 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 18:12   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
Follow the boodmo link, it has the images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Haha looks like this mirror is a big hit! I got one for testing on what all cars it would fit. Boodmo must be wondering what’s with so many orders for this lone mirror all of a sudden!
I've just placed an order for 8 mirrors! Now everyone I know wants me to sort their cars out too

Last edited by moralfibre : 21st October 2021 at 01:21. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use multi-quote option when replying to multiple posts. Thank you!
Old 20th October 2021, 09:29   #13
BHPian

Just ran across actual cost of auto IRVMs of different models. The one in Brezza costs Rs. 3811 while the one in Ciaz costs 19845 . Definitely a cost effective solution and it is wise for those who want auto IRVM to grab this Honda IRVM till the manufacturer realizes such workaround and increases the price! I remember my Mahindra XUV300's IRVM was replaced under warranty for rattling issues, the cost of which was around 14500 in boodmo then.
Goandiaries is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 09:32   #14
BHPian

What a fantastic DIY. I totally agree with naming nomenclature used by Maruti on Ciaz is absolute blunder. The pricing sounds like click bait thumbnails in YouTube, but really fantastic job done in such a puny budget.

On the same topic, I would love to get Auto dimming IRVM fitted on my Jeep Compass. Any directions or guidance will be highly appreciated. I contacted many car decors in Hyderabad and other states as well. None of them showed any interest and most of them were totally clueless.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 10:50   #15
BHPian

I have been thinking of this for a long time for my Tata Hexa. The ball joint on the back of my IRVM has broken which is making the day night switch of the IRVM inoperable unless you hold the IRVM frame while pulling the lever.

For under 1K including, this seems to be an extremely elegant option rather than going for a replacement OEM IRVM. The thing that has been holding me back is the windshield mount. I understand that it isn't included with the Honda IRVM and I couldn't find it on Boodmo either. Need advice whether this Honda IRVM will be compatible with the Windshield mount on my Hexa or any place where I can source the mount from. Thanks.
nathanjdias is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed