Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2011, 23:44   #46
BHPian

Re: DIY - Spectre Conical Air filter in Fiesta 1.6Sxi

Here are a couple of pics of mine:
The air is sucked in from behind the left headlight, just behind the radiator and fed into the filter (big black box). The red/orange pipes are silicon with an aluminum connector in between.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY - Spectre Conical Air filter in Fiesta 1.6Sxi-02022011188.jpg  

DIY - Spectre Conical Air filter in Fiesta 1.6Sxi-02022011187.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2011, 02:18   #47
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Hey CPH,
well, I'm going to make one last ditch effort here.
just wanted to know.
which placement is better, the one professed by the 57i, or the one where it currently sits in my pictures above?
excluding the pipes that i have put, of course.

The 57i placement doesnt allow me to use the current spectre filter.I'll have to go in for the smaller k&N.
Dont wanna spend all that, and then decide to spend some more cos i want the OE box again.

i was planning to run the TB-to-filter hose like your layout, and mount the filter in the space next to the battery.

Also, also, doe sthe 57i come with all hoses, or do some OE part have to be reused in that?

Thnaks, man.
I am working on too many cars. Remembering things is sometimes very difficult. The 57i I have seen was using bits from the OE as well as parts in the kit, but was placed differently. The heat soak was extreme. I would give the 57i a miss. The RRP version doesn't have a breather pipe, which will in a number of cases lead to oil vapour problems hitting the passenger compartment with rather sickening fumes.
Old 3rd February 2011, 02:48   #48
BHPian

@CPH: Can you please elaborate on the breather pipe in the RRP version? If it's a fault I would want to get it rectified. Thanks.
Old 3rd February 2011, 07:57   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

oh yeah!!
I didnt notice that...its still connected to the original airbox.

@niranjan:look just below the oil cap.
that one.
wont take more than 2-3 minutes.However, it'd require a proper sized hole in the silicone or the aluminium section.

PS:I like the work on your kit, man.

whats the size of the filter, though?
and what was the damage?
Old 3rd February 2011, 13:59   #50
BHPian

oh yes I see that one now. Will have to talk to RRP and ask them to do it. I don't really know the exact diameter of the filter; will check on the box at home and see. damage=10k :-|
Old 3rd February 2011, 14:08   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Tsk.
Thought as much.
but that got you WHOLE thing.
I am not looking to go the whole hog.
I've mailed RRP asking them just for the pipe's cost.

say, how much of the cost was installation?
Old 8th February 2011, 14:32   #52

mayank really an awesome effort, u'll not lose out bottom end torque which helps you iin the city because the air is taking a longer route hence there would be linear response of the throttle.very good for city driving. a short ram would help you.if you really wring the throttle.but at the cost of fuel efficiency because you would end up in lower gear than you actually are suppposed to be in. had one in my car which really screwed up my city mileage, so kept it aside.. and am using a k&n replacement panel filter. which is good enough.
Old 8th February 2011, 15:27   #53
BHPian

mayank, installation was hardly <1k. And RRP thinks the breather pipe is just fine where it is now, so leaving it as is - if I face a problem they promised to rectify it.
Old 8th February 2011, 15:56   #54
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
mayank, installation was hardly <1k. And RRP thinks the breather pipe is just fine where it is now, so leaving it as is - if I face a problem they promised to rectify it.
Sorry, to disagree. The breather pipe goes into the OE airbox, which is open to 2 sides. As a result the oil vapour from the crank case gets into the open air. And this is not right. It is rather unhealthy for the driver and even more so for kids.

In many countries it is illegal because of the health and safety threats. It is very disappointing to get such statement from a company like RRP.
Old 8th February 2011, 16:42   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by norevlimit View Post
mayank really an awesome effort, u'll not lose out bottom end torque which helps you iin the city because the air is taking a longer route hence there would be linear response of the throttle.very good for city driving. a short ram would help you.if you really wring the throttle.but at the cost of fuel efficiency because you would end up in lower gear than you actually are suppposed to be in. had one in my car which really screwed up my city mileage, so kept it aside.. and am using a k&n replacement panel filter. which is good enough.
Thanks man.
going on a hit and try basis here, cos once you get past the 1st mindblock of being scared of messing with the innards, thats all it basically is.
as for the setup, i dont know if its psychological, but the ngine feels strained to me on the expressway past 120.
And, very little induction roar :(

Quote:
hey niranjan.
i dont know how far this is correct, as its based mostly on online research, and experience of other users on other forums.
basically : the rush of intake air to your engine creates a vacuum for the breather pipe.this drains out the fumes and passes it into the block(?) to be burnt off.
A lack of vacuum would basically cause that same release only as on overflow.some say it causes the engine oil getting dirty quicker than when the breather's attached.

I dont have any info/gyan about the fumes entering into the cabin,but it does seem likely, no?
what is guaranteed is it will take down your oil change interval from (if its was)say 5k to 4.5k.
All google and passionford gyan.

PS:i did some research on your setup as well.do you know whats the inner diameter of your 90 deg coupler?
Old 8th February 2011, 17:15   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
hey niranjan.
i dont know how far this is correct, as its based mostly on online research, and experience of other users on other forums.
basically : the rush of intake air to your engine creates a vacuum for the breather pipe.this drains out the fumes and passes it into the block(?) to be burnt off.
A lack of vacuum would basically cause that same release only as on overflow.some say it causes the engine oil getting dirty quicker than when the breather's attached.

I dont have any info/gyan about the fumes entering into the cabin,but it does seem likely, no?
what is guaranteed is it will take down your oil change interval from (if its was)say 5k to 4.5k.
All google and passionford gyan.

PS:i did some research on your setup as well.do you know whats the inner diameter of your 90 deg coupler?
Well I just realized - last friday night, after a hard run on the NICE road, I got home and got off the car and smelt something weird and pungent. Smelt a bit like burning rubber but it wasn't - I just ignored it then. Now that CPH mentions it, that almost surely was the oil vapour that I smelt then! I am getting my headers done at RRP later this month so will ensure the breather pipe is set right then for sure.

I'll need to measure the inner dia of the coupler - should 2-3mm more than the TB's outer dia no?

Also, breather pipe apart, the setup makes a really throaty induction sound that's just too addictive- and revvs happily till the limiter cuts in on all gears - 4th and 5th included.I am surprised you found the engine strained after 120.

Last edited by niranjanrvce : 8th February 2011 at 17:22.
Old 8th February 2011, 17:29   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well I just realized - last friday night, after a hard run on the NICE road, I got home and got off the car and smelt something weird and pungent. Smelt a bit like burning rubber but it wasn't - I just ignored it then. Now that CPH mentions it, that almost surely was the oil vapour that I smelt then! I am getting my headers done at RRP later this month so will ensure the breather pipe is set right then for sure.

I'll need to measure the inner dia of the coupler - should 2-3mm more than the TB's outer dia no?

Also, breather pipe apart, the setup makes a really throaty induction sound that's just too addictive- and revvs happily till the limiter cuts in on all gears - 4th and 5th included.I am surprised you found the engine strained after 120.
I know man, i miss that noise.
its what is keeping me from going stock, and try one more setup.
This weekend.
oh wait, next weekend-will end in the doghouse if i do it this week(v-day weekend, no.)

TB's OD will be the same as the hose's ID.

about the strained bit, it just feels as if theres not enough induction.....
might be a mental block.
Old 24th February 2011, 10:37   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok,
Didnt give.
Anyone researching conicals here is bound to have seen Frankmehta's thread, and his "0.5 stage" mods.
So i bought the filter,kit and the stainless steel pipe from him.
Thanks frank, you saved me a ton of running about!!

gonna put it in today.
meantime, i had taken off the spectre filter i had, and i see that the k&n has much lesser filtering surface area than the spectre, being smaller, as well as single cone.
K&N says this filter is optimal for the 1.6 L engine, so now i'm in a quandary.
Should i stick the spectre in, which would require some additional support for the beast, cos its about 1 kg.
or should i stick with the k&n?
dilemma dilemma!!
Attached Thumbnails
DIY - Spectre Conical Air filter in Fiesta 1.6Sxi-dsc_0205.jpg  

DIY - Spectre Conical Air filter in Fiesta 1.6Sxi-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by mayankk : 24th February 2011 at 10:38.
Old 24th February 2011, 12:19   #59
BHPian

I would try the spectre first- if it fits - all that extra filtering surface can't be bad
Old 24th February 2011, 14:38   #60
CPH
BHPian

@ mayankk - Why do you think I never used cone filter elements in my entire career? Does this answer yout question?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks