Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2010, 19:10   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

DIY - Spectre Conical Air filter in Fiesta 1.6Sxi

Hmm.Searched high and low, but could not find any instructions about the fiesta and fitting a conical.Spent some money, or wasted it on some performance guys who operate in the zone.Just didn’t feel happy with it, and worst still, every time I thought about the filter, I cussed these guys.So was not in a happy frame of mind.I did some research, and there was just one suggestion of fitting it, if one didn’t have a CAI,which i have shamelessly copied and "adapted".So, scrapped the jugaad done on the car(the first 2 pictures).(sorry, couldnt figure out how to insert pictures at the appropriate junctures.Looked at the bay from all angles.Solution:The L shaped plastic joint is from the original plumbing.I just removed the flexible pipes leading to intake near the headlight.Then i got hold of an amby’s steering bush,cut out a 5” section from it, and stuffed a 2” section of ABS pipe inside to prevent it from collapsing under sudden suction.Voila!!At one end is the reducer from the filter,and at the other is the original pipe from the filter.As for the bracket, well, that was a work with what you find scenario.Went to the local welder, fished around his shop, found this, made some measurements, and asked him to burn these appropriate holes.Luckily, there is a nice little section of metal sticking out for god knows what under the airbox.And since it was cast, I assumed it could take the shocks and jars of the whole filter assembly, which hardly weighs 2 kgs.Anyhoo, so now the airbox is acting as part of the plumbing for the conical.There is some lag in getting to the typical “vroom” from under the bonnet when you floor it, as there is extra volume in the airbox, as against fitting aluminium pipes(and yes, i HAVE removed the original panel filter,JIC someone is asking).But, I didn’t want to lose the look of the engine bay, and this has given me an idea as to how to route the pipes inside the airbox.I've marked it out in red in one pic.there’s room enough, I’ll just have to shave off the innards a little bit.Btw,the DTE for the first time showed 521 KM!!!It had always shown a maximum of 410 before!!!Will let you know if the FE has actually shown some improvement, lemme get through this tank.Please, any suggestions?I know my work is far from appropriate, but its my work, so I don’t have to soil my head with cussing other people…..So ,way to go….
Attached Thumbnails
DIY - Spectre Conical Air filter in Fiesta 1.6Sxi-dsc_0336.jpg  

DIY - Spectre Conical Air filter in Fiesta 1.6Sxi-dsc_0337.jpg  

DIY - Spectre Conical Air filter in Fiesta 1.6Sxi-dsc_0338.jpg  

DIY - Spectre Conical Air filter in Fiesta 1.6Sxi-dsc_0340.jpg  

DIY - Spectre Conical Air filter in Fiesta 1.6Sxi-dsc_0342.jpg  

DIY - Spectre Conical Air filter in Fiesta 1.6Sxi-al-bends.jpg  

Last edited by mayankk : 9th August 2010 at 19:16.
Old 9th August 2010, 19:26   #2
CPH
BHPian

The first solution is the better one. It is due to the materials at hand certainly not the perfect solution, but that is what is at hand.

The second solution is inferior compared with the first because the air has to take more changes of direction, starting with a bend that flows pretty poorly and the short pipe itself is not helping performance either.

also at second solution make sure that cone is not knocked to death.

Last edited by CPH : 9th August 2010 at 19:27.
Old 9th August 2010, 19:35   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

yup,the first one is a more direct path for the air,but that placement fouls with the hood latch.only reason the hood was able to close was cos the pipe was pliaable.
suggest some middle path here please,cos the bay is such that any plumbing HAS to go closee to the bulkhead.it CANNOT be used likee it is shown in the first picture.

and no,the filtr is not getting beeaten around.
Old 9th August 2010, 20:12   #4
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
yup,the first one is a more direct path for the air,but that placement fouls with the hood latch.only reason the hood was able to close was cos the pipe was pliaable.
suggest some middle path here please,cos the bay is such that any plumbing HAS to go closee to the bulkhead.it CANNOT be used likee it is shown in the first picture.

and no,the filtr is not getting beeaten around.
You should be able to clear the latch with slight modification. I haven't done it with the original pipe, but have made a silicone hose based design that has a much fatter wall thickness and just about clears the latch even with a flexing engine.

It would also help to have a 45 degree bend with a little straight extension. It makes quite a bit of a difference on the pick up temperature.
Old 9th August 2010, 20:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

mayankk have you considered a heat shield for the conical filter ? Its way too close to the engine and am sure its gonna suck in a lot of hot air at that proximity to the headers et all.
Old 9th August 2010, 20:58   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
mayankk have you considered a heat shield for the conical filter ? Its way too close to the engine and am sure its gonna suck in a lot of hot air at that proximity to the headers et all.
yeah, i am quite sure a lot of hot air is being sucked.but now as much as i would imagine, as the heat baffles above the manifold seem quite effective.didn't burn my hands once!!
But there is hardly room in the bay as it is.
Some cutting/bashing will have to be done to accommodate it a little more to the right,nearer to the headlamp unit.

I consider it a work in progress,so to speak..i'm gonna keep working on it,like i said, as soon as i can locate some pipe-bender.

@CPH:you'd sent me a picture of the silicone hose earlier, but nothing about how to source/fabricate it.and i was getting really bored over the weekend, so decided to go ahead with what i could do.
I've seen your solution.it does look more elegant,but unfortunately for me, not available.so if you could help out??

PS:is it any good to direct the pipes through the airbox?

Last edited by mayankk : 9th August 2010 at 21:00.
Old 9th August 2010, 21:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
The heat shield in this position is absolutely useless. I have made enough tests on the particular engine in the Mk6 chassis when I developed a proper AIR for the car. To get the best result in terms of temperature and airflow it is advisable what I suggested.
With the engine bay being so cramped , any specific design that you are hinting at ? Yet to see something on the lines of your post, any pic's of the setup that you are talking about.
My older car I had lots of space in the engine bay and the conical filter would sit there without much of a circus.

Here's a pic

DIY - Spectre Conical Air filter in Fiesta 1.6Sxi-kn.jpg
Old 9th August 2010, 22:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Can you please post pics of the complete engine bay?
Old 9th August 2010, 23:54   #9
CPH
BHPian

Quote:

@CPH:you'd sent me a picture of the silicone hose earlier, but nothing about how to source/fabricate it.and i was getting really bored over the weekend, so decided to go ahead with what i could do.
I've seen your solution.it does look more elegant,but unfortunately for me, not available.so if you could help out??

PS:is it any good to direct the pipes through the airbox?
I will bring you one when I am on my next trip to India.

Going through the airbox is not good.
Old 10th August 2010, 06:55   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Can you please post pics of the complete engine bay?
here we go.

the space behind the front left headlight is out, as its partially blocked by the ECM behind the battery.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY - Spectre Conical Air filter in Fiesta 1.6Sxi-dsc06876.jpg  

Old 10th August 2010, 08:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

@RjStyles - Isn't that a conical setup on WagonR? Correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm planning to get one conical for my WagonR & ofcourse I like to do it myself. I hope I get the instructions when I buy K&N isn't it?
Old 10th August 2010, 10:24   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

here is where i got my anu malik-esque inspiration from.
This is how n1engineering have done it, and so far as i have seen, the only guys whove posted the pictures of the "project"
http://www.n1engineering.com/upload/...ainduction.jpg

With CAI:
http://www.n1engineering.com/upload/...pipercross.jpg

its much neater than moi efforte.
Is this an absolutely incorrect method to go about it?
Theyve done it all proper equipment and parts.

Unfortunately, no presence in delhi.

Even with the CAI, they've gone over and around the block.

Edit:Use the following link,the ones above only take you to the thumbnails
http://www.n1engineering.com/more_in...?install_id=42

Last edited by mayankk : 10th August 2010 at 10:26. Reason: Added link
Old 11th August 2010, 03:31   #13
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
here is where i got my anu malik-esque inspiration from.
This is how n1engineering have done it, and so far as i have seen, the only guys whove posted the pictures of the "project"
http://www.n1engineering.com/upload/...ainduction.jpg

With CAI:
http://www.n1engineering.com/upload/...pipercross.jpg

its much neater than moi efforte.
Is this an absolutely incorrect method to go about it?
Theyve done it all proper equipment and parts.

Unfortunately, no presence in delhi.

Even with the CAI, they've gone over and around the block.

Edit:Use the following link,the ones above only take you to the thumbnails
N1 Racing Equipment
They are both a waste of time and money. The one with the cold air feed will lose you at least 3% against stock.
Old 11th August 2010, 10:28   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@RjStyles - Isn't that a conical setup on WagonR? Correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm planning to get one conical for my WagonR & ofcourse I like to do it myself. I hope I get the instructions when I buy K&N isn't it?

tsk.lucky.
anything other than a ford vehicle, it'll be a breeze getting it done.
Just make sure you go to a guy who sells, as well as installs the same.

btw,for the experts here, with CAI, the enclosure for the filter looks to me as if the filter is considerably smaller than when we fit it a standalone conical.is that right?

@CPH:it is much harder to find good fittings and a good mechanic here if you go off of the established installers.its all trial and error but eventually, you may get it right mechanically.
and the +/- percentage of error can be discounted on the learning curve here.

Last edited by mayankk : 11th August 2010 at 10:34.
Old 11th August 2010, 10:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

@Mayankk, you've both my question & answer in your post
Quote:
Just make sure you go to a guy who sells, as well as installs the same.
Quote:
it is much harder to find good fittings and a good mechanic here
And hence I wanted to do it myself instead of relying others. Also when I do it, I understand & hence something conks up in middle of no where I know how to handle or be prepared. Just asking out of curiosity, why is it difficult to fit a K&N for a Ford car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks