Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2018, 12:24   #76
BHPian

Re: DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120

Can some please help me identify the MAF sensor in the Ford EcoSport TDCi engine bay?

I have the image of engine bay, however it is not getting uploaded here.

Your help is highly appreciated!
Old 24th May 2018, 12:32   #77
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Can some please help me identify the MAF sensor in the Ford EcoSport TDCi engine bay?
Highlighted in yellow

DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120-engine_01.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 12:39   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Highlighted in yellow
That was quick! Thanks!

Mine is a 2014 make TDCi and seems there are a few changes in the engine layout. Nevertheless this surely helps and planning bro clean the sensor over the weekend. Let's see how it goes! Will update the thread.

I am also planning to get the EGR cleaned, bit would need professional help for that.

My car has run 50k and feel it's the right time for a clean up.
ObsessedByFIAT is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 12:53   #79
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
That was quick! Thanks!

Mine is a 2014 make TDCi and seems there are a few changes in the engine layout.
Welcome buddy. Here's another image showing the exploded view of the air cleaner in your car.

DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120-screenshot_20180524124703_01.jpg

Figure No.: 12B579 that's the MAF sensor which plugs into the air filter box unit. You'll see a waterproof connector on the air filter box. That's the MAF sensor unit.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 13:07   #80
Senior - BHPian

Folks. Interesting thread. Can someone please guide me where to locate MAF sensor in Gen-I Honda Amaze diesel.
Old 24th May 2018, 13:32   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

If possible I would always try to use a special dedicated MAF cleaning spray. They are designed specifically to clean dirt, grime, grease etc and will evaporate quickly whilst containing no alcohol.

As mentioned before. If the sensors isn't dirty, cleaning isn't going to make any difference. If possible, check for codes with a suitable OBD scanner as a dirty sensor will throw out a code. Often before it becomes noticeable in performance

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 13:33   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Folks. Interesting thread. Can someone please guide me where to locate MAF sensor in Gen-I Honda Amaze diesel.
Ideally, the MAF Sensor is always located very close to the Air Filter compartment in all cars.

So there is Air intake hose, followed by Air Filter element inside the Air filter compartment and then the MAF Sensor that will always have an electronic coupler attached to a cylindrical object.

Please refer to the pic from the official review:

DIY : Cleaning your MAF Sensor for Rs 120-20180524-13.31.14.jpg
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 10:02   #83
BHPian

Alright! So armed with the knowledge I got from this thread (and thanks for sharing with everyone!) I got down to clean the MAF sensor on Sunday morning.

Earlier I was experiencing a little hesitation in the cars acceleration and the fuel consumption had also gone up considerably. May even be attributed to the summer season though.

So, the plan was to clean the MAF and see the difference in the car behaves.

MAF sensor in EcoSport Diesel is very easy to remove. Just two screws need to be opened and the disconnect the power supply to the unit and we can slide it out.
Though the sensor itself wasn't too dirty, I thought of cleaning the air filter as well. This turned out to be a major contributor to the car's offlate behaviour. In one word, the air filter was "dusty".

Even with a slight tap, there was a lot of black soot/dust that it was giving out. So took the air filter to a near by puncture repair shop and blew pressurized air. Though I will soon have to get the air filter changed, for another 3-4k kilometres it should be fine.

I could immediately feel a difference the way car rolled post the air filter and MAF cleaning excercise!
Post this, I filled the tank upto auto cut and last 100 odd kilometres is showing around 16 kmpl on the MID. Up from around 14 kmpl.

Last edited by ObsessedByFIAT : 28th May 2018 at 10:04.
ObsessedByFIAT is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 13:46   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

My 7 year old 110k km Cruze's MAF sensor is throwing up an error. Symptoms were that the engine would suddenly die out during gear changes, but come back on immediately.

My trusted Chevy workshop has cleaned it and fitted it back and am keeping a close eye on it for now. A new one is 7.5k and not available outside Chevy service! Am superstitious about fitting used parts into my cars so cannot go down the scrapped parts route.

Not that I mind a part failing at 110k km but the cost is prohibitive!
Old 13th July 2018, 16:08   #85
BHPian

Hello all,
I have purchased 99.9% pure IPA (https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07887GYYQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and want to do the MAF sensor cleaning. From what I can see, with the way those of you who have carried out this procedure, no body tried to fill the IPA in a spray bottle and used that to spray the MAF sensor down. I was thinking of trying it that way, will that be an effective way to do it, will I cause any harm to the sensor? Or is there any specific reason as to dipping the sensor in a ziploc filled with IPA.

Reg
Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 18:58   #86
BHPian

could anyone please instruct me on how to access the MAF sensor on a VW Polo 2014 petrol? I have a major error code on an OBD scan: code number P0068... Mass air flow sensor and throttle body position related error.

I currently have a FE of around 6-7kmpl

Anyone who's done a cleanup on their VW/SKODA, please link me to a video or webpage with instructions of how to dismantle the MAF sensor

thanks!
Old 11th August 2018, 11:19   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
could anyone please instruct me on how to
dismantle the MAF sensor

thanks!
The MAF sensor should ideally be in the hose between the air box and the throttle body. You can identify it as a sort of probe with an electrical clip connector going into the hose. Though I don't know exactly where the MAF sensor for the polo is, what I have described should help you figure it out.

PS: To clean the sensor elements. Instead of filling the IPA in a 'Ziploc' bag, I filled the IPA into an old and clean 'Colin' spray bottle and sprayed the sensor until the bottle was empty with the nozzle on the 'stream' setting. It cleaned it up good and is a more economical way of using the IPA. IMHO you don't have to spray the entire bottle, and just half or 2/3rd of it is enough to do the job.
Give the whole thing a wipe in the end while being careful not to touch the sensor elements.

Hope I was of some help to you!

Last edited by Turrrb0 : 11th August 2018 at 11:21.
Turrrb0 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 18:30   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer919 View Post
You don't necessarily need a specific MAF sensor spray/cleaner. There are carburettor/throttle body cleaner sprays you get in the market (ABRO/STP) that can be used for this. It costs about 100/150 INR for a spray can and will last you over the lifetime of your car. I've been using this for the past 5+ years on all my cars.
there are many google pages which say throttle body cleaner sprays should not be used to clean the MAF sensors, but MAF sensor cleaning spray can be used to clean the throttle body.

have you used the throttle body spray to clean your MAF sensor? was it ok and do you recommend it, because MAF sensor cleaning sprays are NOT available anywhere I look, online or offline but throttle body cleaners are easily available. I want to clean the sensor on my Jazz 2009, please advice
Old 19th June 2019, 11:06   #89
BHPian

Quote:
there are many google pages which say throttle body cleaner sprays should not be used to clean the MAF sensors, but MAF sensor cleaning spray can be used to clean the throttle body.

have you used the throttle body spray to clean your MAF sensor? was it ok and do you recommend it, because MAF sensor cleaning sprays are NOT available anywhere I look, online or offline but throttle body cleaners are easily available. I want to clean the sensor on my Jazz 2009, please advice
Go the Isopropyl alcohol way. It is way more cost effective and does a fine job. Make sure to get the maximum concentration of the liquid possible. it's available on Amazon and should be available in your local chemist as well.
Regarding the MAF spray there is one I've seen on amazon but it's imported and costs some Rs. 2600 per can. Not worth it IMO.

Edit: Correction its for Rs. 3200 +
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B000J19XSA/?coliid=I3PK4QOVRQMTKZ&colid=3HF8R9OA0SCV3&psc=0&r ef_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 13:14   #90

Quote:
..........because MAF sensor cleaning sprays are NOT available anywhere I look, online or offline but throttle body cleaners are easily available. I want to clean the sensor on my Jazz 2009, please advice

MAF sensor cleaner from liquimoly is easily available online on amazon, but is much cheaper when bought direct from LM distributors, for example, the one in bangalore( bharat kumar +91 88674 67625)
Just bought TB cleaner, MAF cleaner and injector cleaner from him.
Happy motoring!
rnkaushal is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks