Team-BHP - Tools for a DIYer
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do it yourself (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/)
-   -   Tools for a DIYer (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/88566-tools-diyer-53.html)

I think you are making a basic mistake. The GSB 500 RE is not a tool kit. It's a "power tool" with which you can drill holes in wood, masonry and metal.

I have it. It's an excellent tool and will help you do what you say you want to do. However, please remember - it will just help you to the extent of punching a neat hole in the wall. But that's just the beginning of the long journey towards fixing the nail in the wall. I hope you know how to do that. Otherwise you will be left with a lot of useless holes in the wall :-)

I wouldn't advice you to buy this machine online for two reasons. A. The offline price with a reputed Bosch dealer is considerably cheaper (I bought it for Rs 3300 in Calcutta). B. The operating manual that comes with the machine is very very basic, if not pathetic. Assuming you know nothing of a power tool and there is no one to help you with, it is impossible to work it out from that piece of paper. You may not be even able to fix the drilling bit.

There are some youtube reviews by Indian friends. They are quite hopeless. They don't even know the details of all the bits or what to do with them. Very amateurish efforts.

I suggest go to a reputed dealer. Check it out for yourself and ask them to show you how to operate it and then buy it. I think you will save yourself some money and headache/frustration.

Once again - it's an excellent tool and the total package is basically all you need to punch holes in the wall or wood or metal. If you want to ask any specific question feel free to ask me.

Incidentally, I couldn't understand what you wanted to do to the kitchen blender with this machine. It can only punch holes. Drive a screw in or take it out. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team (Post 3526577)
The GSB 500 RE is not a tool kit. It's a "power tool" with which you can drill holes in wood, masonry and metal.
However, please remember - it will just help you to the extent of punching a neat hole in the wall.

My main issue is drilling a hole of an appropriate size. I end up peeling off more color/cement than what is required while punching a hole. Sometimes the end result turns out to be a tad on the higher size. I am looking to eliminate that part by using a drill.

Quote:

I wouldn't advice you to buy this machine online...Assuming you know nothing of a power tool and there is no one to help you with, it is impossible to work it out from that piece of paper. You may not be even able to fix the drilling bit

Yes, I am not buying it online. Instead, I plan on buying it from places where they demonstrate the drill using a wooden board and concrete block.

Quote:

I couldn't understand what you wanted to do to the kitchen blender with this machine. It can only punch holes. Drive a screw in or take it out. Nothing more. Nothing less.

The blender has a stand / holder, which is fixed to wall using a small screw. When not in use, the blender rests on this stand. My reference was to this stand.

Quote:

Once again - it's an excellent tool and the total package is basically all you need to punch holes in the wall or wood or metal. If you want to ask any specific question feel free to ask me.

Yes, thank you!

Thanks for your valuable inputs. I shall post updates here on what tool do I eventually end up buying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Safety is Param (Post 3526636)
My main issue is drilling a hole of an appropriate size.

This is the perfect tool for you. If you want to save some money you could opt for a no-frills version where you buy just the main machine from Bosch and get the specific drill bits from the after market. It won't cost you more than Rs 2.5k.

The version we are talking about has lots of other stuff that you may not really ever need like the fancy box, various types of bits (including screwdriver heads), the knife, hammer, tape etc. These are all frills and they can all be bought later as and when you need (if at all you need).

Please remember one thing - for drilling holes on the masonry wall you need the machine that has an "impact drilling" function. That is, it has a drilling cum hammer action. But for drilling holes on wood and metal you need the machine to be able to just drill only and no hammer. This machine has both the modes. You have to physically choose the mode (basically a red switch) before you start working.

Once you know it's very simple :-)

I think you are doing a sensible thing by going brick and mortar to purchase this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerAlte (Post 3509999)
Try a soft eraser first, most of it will come off with that. But ... kids will be kids! :)

A 2000 grit sand paper, will effectively remove the child's artwork from the wall, while not marring the finish or leaving a bald patch that an eraser might. And you can vary the pressure to blend the sanded vs the non sanded area. Worked fairly well for me, at least on the oil bound distemper finish that my builder gave "for free" :D !

I got my 500RE upon redeeming Axis card reward points!

Found an online site:

https://www.fabtolab.com/tools?page=3

Fairly stocked, but no idea how good or bad their services are!

Just look for 3M Magic Eraser. Just soak the sponge in water and wipe your wall. Worked liked a charm on my little ones creatives; crayons, water colours, pencil and ink stains - everything was history.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dre@ms (Post 3506079)
My next need. Having a kid at home and that too in a rented house calls for lot of trouble(sweet though).
Honing his writing skills on the walls. How do we erase them. Its a combination of Crayon, Pencil and ball point pen markings. Will a thinner help?

looking forward to buy a small sandblaster to work outdoors ,with 20 kg or more tank capacity ,they are many type manufactured in various parts of the country , but quiet sure they should be someone here who is using one for his projects ,
So I could go get that particular brand .
N.B- I am not looking for the indoor cubicle type sandblasting unit .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebring (Post 3531888)
Just look for 3M Magic Eraser. Just soak the sponge in water and wipe your wall. Worked liked a charm on my little ones creatives; crayons, water colours, pencil and ink stains - everything was history.

Thanks. But I am not able to source it anywhere from India. Where did you get it from? India or Abroad ?

Too bad. Its freely available abroad, like the 3M utensil scrubbers. Try one of those online sites to order.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dre@ms (Post 3532223)
Thanks. But I am not able to source it anywhere from India. Where did you get it from? India or Abroad ?

Okay!
I am going to just dip my feet in the water a lil bit.. & check if I am doing any good at DIM! :p

Immediate plans:
1. I am planning to tear down my laptop for internal cleaning
2. Planning a DIY cooling pad-kinda-thingy
3. Try some simple maintenance work on my motorcycle.

Would this set be good to have as a beginner level toolkit:
Bosch Skil set *ratchet screw driver, plier & stuff*

Appreciate the help!

Thanks,

Ace.

Quote:

Originally Posted by driverace (Post 3533385)
1. I am planning to tear down my laptop for internal cleaning
2. Planning a DIY cooling pad-kinda-thingy
3. Try some simple maintenance work on my motorcycle.

Bosch Skil set *ratchet screw driver, plier & stuff*...

Good set for your purposes.

For the laptop, you might need a precision (or jeweler's or watch-maker's) screw driver set. Something like http://www.ebay.in/itm/Stanley-6-Pc-...item2595750bbb

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerAlte (Post 3533414)
Good set for your purposes.

For the laptop, you might need a precision (or jeweler's or watch-maker's) screw driver set. Something like http://www.ebay.in/itm/Stanley-6-Pc-...item2595750bbb

Thanks for the super_quick help, DerAlte! :)

The mentioned set has "21 piece precision bit set" included.
That should work for laptop/electronics stuff, right?

Thanks,

Ace.

Quote:

Originally Posted by driverace (Post 3533436)
... The mentioned set has "21 piece precision bit set" included.
That should work for laptop/electronics stuff, right? ...

Yes, it should, but ... The limitation might be the thick bit shaft (the hex part) which might be clumsy if the screw is set deep. A precision screwdriver set has a thin longish shaft to allow for that. This also allows for better viewing of the screw being removed, which might by obscured by the thicker handle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by driverace (Post 3533385)
Bosch Skil set *ratchet screw driver, plier & stuff*

I nearly bought one of those yesterday! It looks good to me for a beginner socket set with an adjustable wrench included. Sockets are both inch and mm too. There is a screwdriver with a ratchet handle, and it looks tougher than the one did buy. But no, I probably wouldn't use that inside a laptop or other small device where more delicate tools would be much more comfortable.

Anyway, I was in the mood to shop, and I did.

I am always short of drill bits of the right size. I had nearly bought a Bosch set at exhibitions, several times.

I bought this Bosch Promo kit of drill and screwdirver bits The Bosch multi-tool that comes with it can be considered a great freebie even if we think of it just as a pair of pliers. It is not in the same class as Leatherman, etc ...but no way do they come free with a box of drill bits! with 40% off: Rs.1920.

I doubt if a person can ever have too many screwdrivers. Maybe I'll lay out all mine for a photoshoot one day! I'm a great believer in ratchet screwdrivers, so long as they tough enough to use and rugged enough to last. I added this Skil Ratchet Screwdriver to my collection. with 40% off: Rs.316.

Clearance bargains, no doubt: both items were sealed, so unused, but have a slight feel of having spent some time on the shelf. I had to remove a sticky patch from the Skil box where some tape had been removed. But nothing deeper than cosmetic and nothing that bothers me in the slightest.

BTW, Flipkart offered next-day delivery at Rs.90 per item, which I declined --- and they arrived on the next day anyway!

Taking a look at the set with the drill bits...

OK, I have myself a set of cheap drill bits, with some extra bits and pieces, and it comes in a neat box which feels like it might last. However, no doubt that these are cheap drill bits. The don't carry any branding, they are not really precision made, and they are not sharp. I wonder how these kits are put together? I doubt very much that the bits are made by Bosch.

Is this good for someone who needs to drill the occasional hole, and is frustrated if they don't have the right size bit? Yes, I think it is. And that person is me, so that's ok.

Is this good enough for serious or regular work? No. But the person who is doing that is probably not going to buy bits this way anyway

Tools for a DIYer-tools.jpg

Still, of course I'd have been happier with some better bits, but I'm not too unhappy.

PS... Can I sharpen drill bits? 40 years ago I was quite proud of the fact that I could, but it takes a grinding wheel, and even then I could not do it to engineering tolerances.I would have a good try, the boss would make encouraging noises and finish the job properly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abeer (Post 3515301)
I am looking to buy what is shown in http://www.ebay.in/itm/2pc-Circular-...-/380346377936

Have tried searching various online stores but it is not available anywhere

Try here: I bought similar stuff, the blade and shaft, seperately. I use it to cut "tracks" on copper clad boards.

http://www.machpowertools.com/index....er_name=dremel

This shop is good, will ship promptly.

OT : We haven't met in a long time! :D