Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2016, 16:38   #1276
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tools for a DIYer

Is there a substitute to using Torque wrench? I need to fit some heavy duty hook eye anchor bolts on the walls and realized that they require specific torque to be applied to these bolts. I don't really want to buy a torque wrench costing 10k so looking for an alternative here.

While we are on the topic, I have never seen any of the carpenters using torque wrench when using anchor bolts, they tighten them with all their might and the bolt tends to hang on to stuff pretty well too. In fact I have a pull-up bar hanging from anchor bolts which the carpenter had tightened using a regular adjustable spanner, no torque measurement considered at all.
Old 9th March 2016, 16:46   #1277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Is there a substitute to using Torque wrench? I need to fit some heavy duty hook eye anchor bolts on the walls and realized that they require specific torque to be applied to these bolts. I don't really want to buy a torque wrench costing 10k so looking for an alternative here.

While we are on the topic, I have never seen any of the carpenters using torque wrench when using anchor bolts, they tighten them with all their might and the bolt tends to hang on to stuff pretty well too. In fact I have a pull-up bar hanging from anchor bolts which the carpenter had tightened using a regular adjustable spanner, no torque measurement considered at all.
Is there some place that offers high value tools like this on rent? The local hardware guy near my place has a collection of large drills, demolition hammers etc. displayed outside the store that he gives out on a rental basis. There might be some similar service for precision tools as well.
Old 9th March 2016, 19:00   #1278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

How much torque is specified? Normally tightening fully (10-12mm dia bolt) with 300mm long arm of the wrench does the job for most masonry jobs. Torque ratings are given for critical fastener. Just enough to tighten them but not enough to break the bolt. In general the "just enough" stretches the bolt a tiny bit, so it is not to be used a second time

Last edited by Aroy : 9th March 2016 at 19:04.
Old 9th March 2016, 19:01   #1279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

You can make your own Torque wrench, have a look:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/to...le-d_1909.html

Not sure why the carpenters don’t use them, maybe they havent got them, or they don’t know what specific torque needs to be applied? Or they haven’t got a clue why you would need to torque. But then again, I have seen a number of houses and apartments collapsing in India over the last year. So somebody got something wrong or forgot something!

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2016, 19:07   #1280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I never heard of torque wrenches being used outside of mechanics!

Perhaps, though, where lives may depend on a bolt (eg lift-shaft fittings or building safety-harness points) it might be necessary for the manufacturers to state such a thing.

My bet is that they want to prevent overtightening, as many installers would go for this "all their might" approach. I see plumbers doing the same thing with screw-thread steel pipes.
Old 9th March 2016, 19:07   #1281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
How much torque is specified? Normally tightening fully (10-12mm dia bolt) with 300mm long arm of the wrench does the job for most masonry jobs
http://www.boun.in/Anchore7ba.html?T...d%29%20Anchors

Are you saying that if I normally tighten it enough, it should be ok. I don't mean to use it ever again, just put it and forget it.

Or would using too much of strength defeat the purpose of the anchor bolt?

EDIT: My objective is to put these bolts (in the link) in the wall so that they don't come out even if I try to pull them out with all my strength. I will be using them for a workout.

Last edited by fine69 : 9th March 2016 at 19:09.
Old 9th March 2016, 20:10   #1282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
http://www.boun.in/Anchore7ba.html?T...d%29%20Anchors

Are you saying that if I normally tighten it enough, it should be ok. I don't mean to use it ever again, just put it and forget it.

Or would using too much of strength defeat the purpose of the anchor bolt?

EDIT: My objective is to put these bolts (in the link) in the wall so that they don't come out even if I try to pull them out with all my strength. I will be using them for a workout.
See the posts above, which give a method of measuring the torque and in your case getting the right torque for tightening the bolt.

If it is a 10mm or 12mm bolt, tightening with all your strength will be fine (it is difficult to break the bolt), for thinner bolt you may break it by over tightening.

In my experience, anchor bolts in the wall need tightening enough to prevent their working loose with vibration, but you have to be sure that the hole in the wall is not only the proper diameter, but the wall material should be solid brick/concrete, not plaster or material which will crumble. All our geysers (20L and 30L) models are secured using 8mm bolts, tightened till they are firmly embedded.

Anchor bolts expand as you tighten them, so once fully tightened you can not pull them out, unless the wall material crumbles.

Last edited by Aroy : 9th March 2016 at 20:12.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2016, 21:54   #1283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I never heard of torque wrenches being used outside of mechanics!
Torque wrenches are (or should be) used in all sorts of application and or industries. Other then car mechanics, marine/naval engineers uses them on a vast array of different equipement, they are used in the aviation industry.

They are used in the telecom industry, certain (fiber) connectors need to be torque-ed properly.

People who put up the likes of ferris wheels and such use them.

Lots of bits and pieces on many industrial plants require torque wrenches. E.g. think of pressure vessels.

We often think of torque wrenches as putting a lot of torque on a bolt/nut. But it’s about getting the exact correct amount. The torque that is needed to properly install a simple fiber connector is very small. A six year old has enough strength. But the trick is to get it exact right so the fiber doesn’t deform, but it’s still tight enough to ensure a water tight seal.

Watch makers use torque wrenches! The list is endless.

If you want some of the basics behind torque, have a look at this:

Way past the DIY stage, but here is the sort of stuff we used on the big marine Diesels etc. This (hydraulic) tool actually stretches the bolt without twisting (torquing) it. Very precise loading of the bolts!

Enjoy, Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2016, 22:41   #1284
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, like I said: mechanics. I never limited that to cars! But no matter: nice examples

The last torque wrench I came close to was in the hands of my dentist: he was getting the torque on an implant right.
Old 11th March 2016, 18:13   #1285
Senior - BHPian

Bosch has announced an offer on the aquatek and the screw driver set combo in Bangalore. Details are herewith.

Tools for a DIYer-unnamed.jpg
Old 11th March 2016, 19:52   #1286
Senior - BHPian

Any idea what this battery is called and if it is available locally? This came out of my Panasonic trimmer and the same is available in ali express. A regular rechargable AA battery fits the slot but there is about 1-2 mm gap at the negative terminal side for which I need to do some juggad if I can't get the exact battery.
Tools for a DIYer-nimhrechargeablebatteryforpanasonic.jpg
Old 12th March 2016, 10:43   #1287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Any idea what this battery is called and if it is available locally? This came out of my Panasonic trimmer and the same is available in ali express. A regular rechargable AA battery fits the slot but there is about 1-2 mm gap at the negative terminal side for which I need to do some juggad if I can't get the exact battery.
Attachment 1484829
Please see the attached battery specs file. The code 1409A is listed on pg 3. Have pasted the relevant portion below. This is a 6V battery. So I don't think your idea of using a regular AA battery will work. Duracell and Eveready product numbers are listed. I am sure you will be able to get these in the US, but it may not be easily available here. Try the consumer electronics service outlets.
Attached Thumbnails
Tools for a DIYer-1409a.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf flashlights_batteries.pdf (420.5 KB, 650 views)
reverse_gear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 17:35   #1288
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys any recommendations for a precision screwdriver set? Not able to conclusively decide on one based on the user reviews on the shopping portals.
Old 22nd March 2016, 22:47   #1289
Senior - BHPian

I'm looking for a budget-yet-not-flimsy power saw for some DIY wood works; jigsaw or circular.

Any suggestions?
Old 24th March 2016, 13:03   #1290
Senior - BHPian

3M has this treatment for the exhaust system of the car.

I had enquired at one branch and they said it is a silver coating which I think is nothing but paint to prevent rusting and give it a new look .They quoted over 1k for the same and it sounded like it is useful on stock exhaust systems.

I would want to do this as a DIY on my car. The exhaust system on my car is a aftermarket one from Red Rooster and it had a coating which has worn off now over 4 years. Few years back I had bought this rust proof coating which was in a can and sprayed that on the pipe and before I knew it , peeled off.

Does anyone have an idea of a good rust proof spray which can withstand heat as well for use on the exhaust system. Thankfully, there is no issue of rust in the system and I would like to give a fresh look and at the same time proof it from future age related breakages.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks