Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2023, 11:29   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
---
That said, I did like the Genius mktg line - ''Faster than a 911 while towing a 911''.
Tesla Cybertruck’s race against a Porsche 911 was apparently an 1/8-mile run.

Quote:
Tesla CEO Elon Musk claimed that the race was a quarter mile, but a satellite view of the drag strip tells a different story.

Quote:
But as it turns out, the race—if its entirety was shown—was filmed on was over a much shorter eighth-mile distance. And with the Porsche creeping up on the Cybertruck’s tail as it crossed the finish line, the outcome of a race held over a full quarter-mile may not have been the same.
Quote:
happened to notice that the race was held at the now-closed Sacramento Raceway. When comparing the stills from Tesla’s footage, it can be seen that the Cybertruck and Porsche were set up to race across the first set of thick lines painted on the track, which are placed at the eighth-mile marker alongside the grandstands. (Those are not present at the quarter-mile markings on the track.) Yet during the press conference, even Tesla CEO Elon Musk was adamant that it was a proper quarter-mile drag.
Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 12:47   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Tesla Cybertruck’s race against a Porsche 911 was apparently an 1/8-mile run.
Thanks. Its Elon. He will say/do anything to prove a point.
14000rpm is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 13:35   #183
Senior - BHPian

I really wish the make all-carbon-fiber model, smaller and 'lighter' battery/range (250Kms max range), Track Monster, unlocked ECU for max power. It will be a Hoonigan beater. Gosh, I wish Ken Block were alive to drive this truck!
Old 5th December 2023, 15:41   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
Thanks. Its Elon. He will say/do anything to prove a point.
But Cybertruck will still win against a 911 in 1/4 mile.
But when its towing a 911 on a non aero optimised trailer, the drag will be high as the speed builds up.

Also the Cybertruck was still doing this with a A/T tire, while the 911 was using a On road sports tire. If you put a On-Road sports tire on the Cybertruck the 911 will be much further behind.

All the 0-60 and 1/4 mile time of the Cybertruck was done with A/T tire.
DIY410 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2023, 02:32   #185
BHPian

Agreed! Faster than a 911, but also importantly, it's stiffness rating is right around the 911 - so you still get that planted ride! That is mind-blowing for a pickup, every other pick up in the world will toss you around like a tennis ball when driven hard!
Old 21st December 2023, 07:13   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

The engineering and technology behind the Cybertruck shouldn't be missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
So this “impossible to make”, “vapourware” has finally been launched.

From someone who hated the Cybertruck, when it was first unveiled almost 4 years back, to the core, so much so that I was evaluating my investment in Tesla to being the thing that I want most right now, I have come along and i am pretty sure others would too. This thing is bonkers wild!
I have been skeptic of the Cybertruck (CT) and I still am skeptical about its mass production or commercial success. I think it looks like a moving refrigerator and it's ugly. These are my subjective opinions and not facts.

However, after watching the below videos I see that the CT's beauty and brilliance is actually beneath the silly steel exterior. For sometime filter out the noise caused by Elon Musk, the 911 drag-race, claimed versus actual range and pricepoint. Look deeper into the engineering behind it to gain a better understanding of the CT as a project.

There's hours and hours of quality fact based discussions which are overlayed with expert opinions. It's really fascinating. After watching, I'm interested to see the technology transfer from the CT to other Tesla products and possibly even other automakers.

As a standalone product, I'm not excited about the CT. I mean, none of the videos or reviews (I saw) actually use or test the CT as the utilitarian Ford F-150. The response being that we all know the CT is going to be the urban mall crawler. When you have Reddit co-founder and former executive chairman Alexis Ohanian, say this about his CT, “I am gonna be the coolest dad dropping my daughter off at school, he said while adding the vehicle feels smooth and drives a lot like Tesla’s Model X. “It feels insane,” he added. One can laugh or hate the statement but that's the reality.

My point is that after the novelty wears off, people will really think before plonking $100K on the CT. This has happened in the past. From being the coolest thing to have, Tesla cars have become the Corolla/Camry replacement on the roads. Not a bad thing but if one's intention is to look cool in it then, oops.

Initially I wondered why Jason and Hagerty are doing a product launch video/advertorial for Tesla. There was a sense of fanboyism and I was disappointed to an extent. So much so that TST's Matt went on the offensive and accused Jason of selling out which became an internet drama and the podcast was since removed. Jason came on TST's podcast and had a face-2-face objective discussion with Matt to refute the allegations which is quite rare in this age. Respectfully disagreeing is still a thing. Nice.

Jack, MKBHD and Jason were the only three people in the world who got to drive the CT before the handover and they discuss their opinions quite openly in the below video.

There's more than a dozen reasons to be critical of the CT but there are a couple of reasons to not ignore the engineering and technology inside it. IMHO don't miss to notice those.

P.S: I liked this line from Zak in one of those videos. The CT doesn't look futuristic. It represents what people in the 1980s thought the future would be.

Last edited by kiku007 : 21st December 2023 at 07:28.
Old 21st December 2023, 10:20   #187
BHPian

https://www.reuters.com/investigates...ng-suspension/

Tesla blamed drivers for failures of parts it long knew were defective
Wheels falling off cars at speed. Suspensions collapsing on brand-new vehicles. Axles breaking under acceleration. Tens of thousands of customers told Tesla about a host of part failures on low-mileage cars. The automaker sought to blame drivers for vehicle ‘abuse,’ but Tesla documents show it had tracked the chronic ‘flaws’ and ‘failures’ for years.

By HYUNJOO JIN, KEVIN KROLICKI, MARIE MANNES and STEVE STECKLOW - Reuters News - Filed Dec. 20, 2023, 11 a.m. GMT

Last edited by Raskolnikov.R : 21st December 2023 at 10:22.
Old 5th January 2024, 07:38   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Tesla Cybertruck’s range falls 21% short of EPA estimate in real world tTest.

Tesla says that this truck should have a maximum range of 320 miles but it managed only 254 miles.

volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 21:17   #189
Senior - BHPian

Tesla CT not faster than a Porsche while towing. Always feels great to watch Jason videos.

SKC-auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 08:41   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Tesla's Cybertruck panels can chop off carrots, but what about your fingers?

Quote:
Among the litany of safety concerns made about the Cybertruck relate to the sharp stainless steel panels that adorn the entire exterior. Not only can the plethora of pointy edges easily scratch a user but this video indicates Tesla has failed to fit pinch sensors to certain areas of the EV.

What this means is that little kids (or adults, for that matter) could be susceptible to getting their fingers cut off if they ever inadvertently close the trunk, doors, or frunk on them.
Quote:
The reviewers also tested the front of the frunk on the Cybertruck, its doors, and the trunk, and it performed poorly in all of them.

While it seems that Tesla’s truck isn’t particularly friendly to carrots and sausages, a separate test conducted by a Tesla Cybertruck owner (below) indicates that if you place your whole hand in the frunk, it may detect it, but even if it does close, it is unlikely to snap off your fingers.
Old 2nd February 2024, 21:34   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

The Tesla Cybertruck has a recall.

A recall has been issued by the NHTSA for over 2 million Teslas for dashboard warning lights with font sizes that are too small.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has issued a recall for nearly 2.2 million Tesla vehicles built between 2012 and 2024, including every Cybertruck, because the car's dashboard warning lights are too small.

"An incorrect font size is displayed on the instrument panel for the Brake, Park, and Antilock Brake System (ABS) warning lights," the recall states. "As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 105, "Hydraulic and Electric Brake Systems" and 135, "Light Vehicle Brake Systems.""

The recall affects a total of 2,193,869 Teslas, or roughly every Tesla ever sold in the United States.

Because Teslas use screens instead of analog gauge clusters, affected owners won't have to bring their cars to Tesla repair shops to get their vehicle fixed. Instead, Tesla is releasing an over-the-air (OTA) update to resolve the undersized warning lights. The updates are already hitting affected cars, according to the NHTSA.

Link:

Another design flaw with the Cybertruck.

Cybertruck’s flashy aero covers could eat away tire sidewall, Tesla reportedly working on a fix.

The carmaker is now delivering its new truck without the aero covers and is thought to be working on it.

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd February 2024 at 21:40.
Old 4th February 2024, 02:45   #192
BHPian

[quote=volkman10;5711854]The Tesla Cybertruck has a recall.

It’s a pity that media is using all the false narrative against Tesla and many people believe that. This recall was solved by an over the air update and costs almost nothing for Tesla and customers.

I have seen dealerships taking printout of these articles and keeping at the waiting area for customers to change their mind on next Tesla purchase.
Attached Thumbnails
Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!-img_8663.png  

hpzone is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks