Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2021, 11:10   #16
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon EV Max, launched at Rs. 17.74 lakh (pg 18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by balmeter View Post
But the Snapdragon series or any of the chips on smartphone have a nomenclature change and until we know the exact details of the motor used, we might not know the nomenclatures in here but I get your idea and I believe this is a new generation motor.

Is this similar to what we had with MG ZS EV? The 2021 version had a identical capacity motor similar to the previous generation but they advertised with a higher range, mostly because it was a new generation motor?
I also suspect this is going to feature in a facelift. It might come with more aerodynamic changes which make a lot of difference in EV effeciency.

I believe the Nexon was released in 2017 and received its last facelift in 2019, so perhaps it is time for another one. I am hoping it comes with cruise control this time, it will make maintaining the same speed in highways which in turn increase the range.
Old 26th August 2021, 13:21   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina View Post
I have just purchased a ZS EV only because the extra 50-60km was all I needed to have this as my only car.
This is the exact dilemma i am facing, being the only car. Its either the Nexon with a small dagger of anxiety lurking somehwere or the elevated peace of mind with the MG.

Would like to know your experience, as all the other EV owners i had interacted with "ALWAYS" had a backup highway car!

The only thing holding me back with MG is availability of service center's. Tata has something within 50km of my hometown be it North, South, East or West. MG has just one at 150.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Unless the motor is now more efficient and at the same time more powerful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starke View Post
A higher rated motor (Or it can be the same motor unlocked for a slightly higher current draw) will result in slightly better efficiency under acceleration as the power draw can be kept at a better lowered efficient band.

Mostly this homologation was done a new motor with some small changes (Re-approval is required for any change).
any motor if loaded less then around 60% is less efficient. Oversizing is usually not a good idea for a electric motor if made to run at a lower rated load than a smaller one for long durations.
Permanent Magnet Synchronous Moto uses a VFD (variable frequeny drive) to reduce loses by controlling the motor(power supplied to it).
A EV is an entremely variable load, where the motor's output could continuously vary due to the varying terrain, driving style, temp., acessories running etc.
They have to figure a motor & VFD combination which can match the peak load and at the same achieve good efficiency figures. It could be challenging to select a motor-VFD combination initially if not much data is available on variability.
With so many of their EV's now on the road they would have already got a lot of data to better analyze the kind of variability. This might have actually allowed them to select a better motor-VFD combination. So I am kind of hoping for a better power at the same time better efficiency.

This could very well be a presumption, need spy in TATA R&D to get the truth
EV Fan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 14:03   #18
BHPian

Hello all
Anyone in this forum purchased/driving a Nexon EV in a tier 3 city?
If so please share your experiences with particular reference to home charger setup and after sales service requirements.
Old 26th August 2021, 14:25   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
From the Transport Department document we are only privy to the battery capacity and power, I assume there is a bump in efficiency too just like the newest Snapdragon chips are becoming more and more battery efficient in each generation. There are also probably other changes under the hood of this motor which we will come to know in time.
The efficiency according to the leaked doc for 100kW model is 119Wh/km.

If one is to go by the present value, at 312km ARAI range, and 28.6kWh usable capacity, it comes to 91.7Wh/km. So in fact, the energy consumption has increased by whopping 30%.

The thing you’re talking about processors is a flawed analogy because efficiency gains come from using a new process node (smaller transistors gate pitch) thus you need lesser energy to operate same number of transistors.

With motors, the main point of improving efficiency lies in maximising magnetic flux so that maximum force can be created. F=I•B•L where B is field and I is current.

Model 3 PMSM has some clever trickery up its sleeve for a phenomenal 158Wh/km for a 330i sized car. It also has some excellent optimisations for minimising back EMF in the motor at high RPM band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balmeter View Post
Is this similar to what we had with MG ZS EV? The 2021 version had a identical capacity motor similar to the previous generation but they advertised with a higher range, mostly because it was a new generation motor?
No! The ZSEV range bump was a marketing gimmick. The simply changed the testing agency from ARAI to iCAT.

ARAI had given 340km range. iCAT gave 419km. But in reality, WLTP range is 262km, not even 340km.

See their brochure here and read the fine print at bottom of the third page.
The Tata Nexon EV Max, launched at Rs. 17.74 lakh (pg 18)-d79104954643484b896a45526f9999b7.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV Fan View Post
Permanent Magnet Synchronous Moto uses a VFD (variable frequeny drive) to reduce loses by controlling the motor(power supplied to it).
A EV is an entremely variable load, where the motor's output could continuously vary due to the varying terrain, driving style, temp., acessories running etc.
They have to figure a motor & VFD combination which can match the peak load and at the same achieve good efficiency figures. It could be challenging to select a motor-VFD combination initially if not much data is available on variability.
With so many of their EV's now on the road they would have already got a lot of data to better analyze the kind of variability. This might have actually allowed them to select a better motor-VFD combination. So I am kind of hoping for a better power at the same time better efficiency.

This could very well be a presumption, need spy in TATA R&D to get the truth
Interesting insights! I hope that’s the case. We need more innovation in EV segment. The more boundaries they push, the better.

Last edited by Shresth_EV : 26th August 2021 at 14:31.
Shresth_EV is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 14:35   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shresth_EV View Post
The efficiency according to the leaked doc for 100kW model is 119Wh/km.

If one is to go by the present value, at 312km ARAI range, and 28.6kWh usable capacity, it comes to 91.7Wh/km. So in fact, the energy consumption has increased by whopping 30%.

The thing you’re talking about processors is a flawed analogy because efficiency gains come from using a new process node (smaller transistors gate pitch) thus you need lesser energy to operate same number of transistors.

With motors, the main point of improving efficiency lies in maximising magnetic flux so that maximum force can be created. F=I•B•L where B is field and I is current.

Model 3 PMSM has some clever trickery up its sleeve for a phenomenal 158Wh/km for a 330i sized car. It also has some excellent optimisations for minimising back EMF in the motor at high RPM band.
Do you honestly believe Tata is switching out their present motor for a marginally more powerful motor while sacrificing 30% efficiency? Don't you think there is some information we are missing?

The Snapdragon analogy wasn't meant to be taken literally, I just meant that with each generation, electronic products generally become more power efficient, for example air conditioners.
Old 26th August 2021, 15:01   #21
BHPian

Quote:
This is the exact dilemma i am facing, being the only car. Its either the Nexon with a small dagger of anxiety lurking somehwere or the elevated peace of mind with the MG.

Would like to know your experience, as all the other EV owners i had interacted with "ALWAYS" had a backup highway car!
I will write a full review after doing at least 1 proper highway trip (including charging etc). I have had the car for 2 weeks and it is an absolute pleasure to drive within the city. I get about 6 to 6.5 km/kwh. I took it on the highway and drove to a town about 100km away last weekend and was able to clock 7km/kwh restricting my speed to about 80kmph. On the return I drove normally (100kmph) and got 6km per kwh. All with AC on and a full car. So, 260-300km of range can be expected unless you drive very enthusiastically. Resisting the urge to drive enthusiastically is a really difficult thing to do as it probably has a very very impressive 0-50kmph timing.

Apart from a couple of bangalore-kerala and bangalore-chennai/pondy or bangalore-mysore/coorg trips, I dont see myself driving out that much and hence this car made a lot of sense to me. One of the biggest reasons I chose electric was looking at the charging station maps of Zeon charging and Tata Power. I feel that I can live with the minor inconvenience of highway charging which would happen on 5-10 days of the year as opposed to 350 days of city driving. But, I have to actually do a highway trip before I can conclude on how wise my decision was.

This car has a few random quirks though. Doesnt have automatic climate control for example. My version, the "Excite" does not show the battery percentage anywhere (only range). It also has the worst sounding music system I have encountered in a car in recent times. But I am more than happy to live with these flaws as it is the only car that gives 6 airbags 5 star euro crash rating even in the lower trim.
lina is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 18:23   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But I am more than happy to live with these flaws as it is the only car that gives 6 airbags 5 star euro crash rating even in the lower trim.
Nexon EV has 6 airbags? That too in the base version?
Old 26th August 2021, 18:25   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Im talking about my car which is MG ZS EV Excite.
lina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 18:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
This is MG ZS EV. Nexon EV has only two airbags.
speedmiester is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 18:29   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok, I see. Kudos to MG for this. What's the on road price for ZS EV base version? I really love that car. I had test driven both Nexon EV and ZS EV and both were super fun to drive. The acceleration from zero was terrific!
Old 26th August 2021, 18:37   #26
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
only car that gives 6 airbags 5 star euro crash rating even in the lower trim.
Re the 5 star point I haven't seen it anywhere. Neither on the Nexon EV page nor the normal Nexon page. I even double checked their brochure.

Either the test was for a pre face lift version or something's changed now. I like the car and it's safe but I don't see mention of the crash test rating anywhere on their site.

Nexon brochure - https://cars.tatamotors.com/images/n...d/brochure.pdf
Old 26th August 2021, 19:03   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I also suspect this is going to feature in a facelift. It might come with more aerodynamic changes which make a lot of difference in EV effeciency.
Aerodynamic improvements on a SUV body type is a hard one, atleast to achieve a efficiency substantial nos.

Quote:
I am hoping it comes with cruise control this time, it will make maintaining the same speed in highways which in turn increase the range.
The cruise control was a sore miss on my test ride as well especially since it does not have regen control. Keeping a light foot to prevent regen from engaging, and slowing doen the car, on a mild decent was not something i liked

Quote:
I will write a full review after doing at least 1 proper highway trip (including charging etc). I have had the car for 2 weeks and it is an absolute pleasure to drive within the city.
congratulations on the new car. How was the experience and what was the waiting period? They have quoted 2-3months now.

Quote:
was able to clock 7km/kwh restricting my speed to about 80kmph.
I had done a test ride only, as of now (it was more of an attempt at hypermiling though). Had kept a very light foot on the accelerator, much to the irritation of the company executive(took a long time to reach the 80 mark). Hardly did some odd 15 kms with a drop of 3% SOC. Was quite elated and do belive that on an highway, even with 60-80, this one can do 300 above. Please do share, if you ever get an opportunity to test this.

Quote:
Apart from a couple of bangalore-kerala and bangalore-chennai/pondy or bangalore-mysore/coorg trips, I dont see myself driving out that much and hence this car made a lot of sense to me. One of the biggest reasons I chose electric was looking at the charging station maps of Zeon charging and Tata Power.
This is what has me convinced as well. Can possibility pull this off with MG but not with the Nexon as of now. Thanks to the pandemic, not in a position to wait any further for EV prices/ technologies to improve.

Quote:
My version, the "Excite" does not show the battery percentage anywhere (only range).
That is intresting, I was considering Excite myself.Though not a deal breaker, i was impressed with the MDI on the test drive "Exclusive", thought they would atleat keep that same. I had the MID set set for the electrical display(showed the Ampere inflow - outflow), just wanted that. If it is possible, could you check and let me know if this was retained in the "Excite".
EV Fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 12:21   #28
BHPian

Quote:
That is intresting, I was considering Excite myself.Though not a deal breaker, i was impressed with the MDI on the test drive "Exclusive", thought they would atleat keep that same. I had the MID set set for the electrical display(showed the Ampere inflow - outflow), just wanted that. If it is possible, could you check and let me know if this was retained in the "Excite".
The MID behind the steering wheel is exactly the same. So it does have that current flow graphic screen. Though the entire right dial basically shows the same information. The main display is what is dumbed down.

300+ is possible on a flat highway at 80kmph. But like I said, sticking to that 80kmph will be tough. Also, cruise control uses brakes rather than regen which is a bummer.

The Excite is a far better option imo. 3.5L lesser. Doesnt have the fake leather seats, no "Internet Inside" badge, no heat from sunroof. Also, the euro crash test was performed on the excite model. I do not trust the sunroof models to have the same structural integrity as the base models. Sunroof models are almost never crash tested because always only base models are tested.
lina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 12:23   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Re the 5 star point I haven't seen it anywhere. Neither on the Nexon EV page nor the normal Nexon page. I even double checked their brochure.

Either the test was for a pre face lift version or something's changed now. I like the car and it's safe but I don't see mention of the crash test rating anywhere on their site.

Nexon brochure - https://cars.tatamotors.com/images/n...d/brochure.pdf
The facelifted Nexon has not been crash tested and hence they cant claim it. However, I highly doubt it is anything less than 5 stars. Though in GNCAP they do not perform the pole test nor the full-frontal crash test.
Old 27th August 2021, 12:27   #30
BHPian

Quote:
congratulations on the new car. How was the experience and what was the waiting period? They have quoted 2-3months now.
Sales experience was good. My sales rep was well informed and infact I didnt have much trouble choosing my own insurance and cherry-picking accessories.

I paid OTR of 21.8L including 20k odd in TCS. Their insurance was 25k more and default accessories list was 15k more.

I just hope and pray that the car will work and wont go all chinese on me. As of now, it is really good. The reviews from AU and UK are also almost all positive.
lina is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks