Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2022, 21:45   #406
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Got a call supposedly from Tata Motors (not from the dealer) confirming the booking and asking me whether there are any challenges in taking delivery if a Nexon EV Max is allotted. I replied that I am ready even if the vehicle is allotted tomorrow. Dealer was not aware of any such call, and doesn't have any clue on when the vehicle will be allotted.

Did anyone get such a call ?
My booking date is May 29th and God knows what the status is.

Last edited by Prasidhi : 3rd August 2022 at 21:46.
Prasidhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 12:12   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prasidhi View Post
Did anyone get such a call?
I got a call. Replied that I have booked MG ev also due to long wait period of 6 months.
As of now I have doubts on ev due to high cost of initial purchase and later cost of battery pack replacement. The longer the wait the higher chance of cancelling booking and waiting for hydrogen powered cars

Last edited by aah78 : 10th August 2022 at 18:06. Reason: Quote trimmed.
dockap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 18:10   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
waiting for hydrogen powered cars
They will never come, hydrogen cars are just a delay tactic used by oil companies, buy an EV now or if you have doubts wait for another 3 years.

Hydrogen car sales started before modern EVs(read nissan Leaf), still selling few thousands every year. I have read horrible stories of Toyota Mirai owners from California.

Why would you want to wait for a car which is slow, expensive, has huge running costs, limited interior space, need to travel 10-20km(best case scenario) to refuel every 10 days. Only advantage being it takes 3 mins to refuel sometimes( many times it takes longer than 20 mins) on your long drive once or twice a year.
SKC-auto is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 10:06   #409
BHPian

Did a 130 kms highway drive today

1. First 65 kms in ECO mode with regen at 1 and speed between 90-110kmph. It came to 153wH/km. It does not like steady cruise speeds for sure. It was showing around 163-165wH/km except for the last 8-9kms through city with constant deceleration and braking where it finally came down to 153wH/km.
2. I had to idle for 30mins with AC when waiting for an appointment.
3. When returning back it was mostly in sport and city mode with a few quick accelerator dabs thrown in and regen at 1.

The final figure was 174wH/km over 130kms.

Going by charge consumed,
First 65kms was with 25% charge amounting to 260kms on full charge and
Final 130kms was with 60% charge amounting to 216kms.

I’m beginning to believe 180kms with spirited driving and 240-250kms with sedate driving in Eco mode is easily achievable

In one of the previous posts of bhpian Varkey i saw 97wh/km consumption. Amazing driving style adaptation.

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-55cf7623cbd447a881041f6b01192e0a.jpeg

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-a3c9daf22b2d4131ad8b536165f7bc5e.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 10th August 2022 at 18:07. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
spkrnh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 12:07   #410
BANNED

the wh/km is more based on your speed than regen level. The sweet spot for range/speed combo is somewhere between 65 to 70. Lower the speed, more the range but more asleep you will be. Faster you go, the range drops and of course this is basic physics and applies to every car be it be electric or fuel based.

For highway cruising, make regen level 0 and coast easily at 80kph on flat and slightly down hill road, and use regen setting button to brake rather than braking when slowing down.

@mods, wouldn't this thread be more useful in the Electric Cars forum? request you to move there so that it can get better traction.
DarthVeda is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 08:41   #411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay007 View Post
Congratulations on your purchase! However you traded fuel cost anxiety for range anxiety and the latter is much worse. EV for long trips make little sense as of now and you'll eventually end up planning shorter trips or very specific routes/stops because of it.
There's this YouTube channel called 'Anjnay vlogs' found him during my research on the Nexon EV and if it's a practical vehicle to replace a 7 year old Mahindra Quanto and a 17 year old Alto for my parents. Considering the car will do both city and highway duty. He has taken the Nexon EV prime to spiti and leh ladakh. With sufficient planning of stops and a 15A charging infrastructure, he made it possible.
Has helped reduce my doubts for considering this car.
Drdriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 09:01   #412
BHPian

I’m beginning to believe 180kms with spirited driving and 240-250kms with sedate driving in Eco mode is easily achievable

In one of the previous posts of bhpian Varkey i saw 97wh/km consumption. Amazing driving style adaptation.[/quote]

I’m with you on this. I’ve been getting similar figures as yours with my EV max after 4 full slow charging sessions at home and over 1000 kms on the odometer.
The harder you are on the throttle, faster the charge drain. Mine is usually driven around in the city limits with 60-70kmph top speed hence no chance of using cruise control
Mostly driven with city mode and ECO mode only if I drive or instruct my chauffeur to do so.

Have you been for your 1st free service?
Any software update on the cards?
Please share your experience
pradheepsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 11:14   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradheepsr View Post
I'm with you on this. I’ve been getting similar figures as yours with my EV max after 4 full slow charging sessions at home and over 1000 kms on the odometer.
The harder you are on the throttle, faster the charge drain. Mine is usually driven around in the city limits with 60-70kmph top speed hence no chance of using cruise control
Mostly driven with city mode and ECO mode only if I drive or instruct my chauffeur to do so.

Have you been for your 1st free service?
Any software update on the cards?
Please share your experience
I second this. I last traveled to Coorg which is 250km from my place and on the highway I switched to Cruise control and set the speed to 100 and it was actually showing me a range of around 290 and it stayed consistent even after driving 100kms. Then I fast charged in 50kw charger at Yediyur Zeon, and since I was confident I tried little bit of pedal to the metal and reached home still with 56% battery left.

The lowest wh/km I have observed is 79wh/km for a stretch of 25km which was in coorg and the side I was traveling had more downhill slopes.

One thing I observed is that, it's better to switch off regen in small slopes and stay on Regen 1 for long journey if the road is good. I feel the higher regen slows down the car too much which requires throttle in the middle of the slope. Turn off and switch to Level 1 or 2 if the speed is too much in the middle of the slope.

Regarding software, I just got SMS from Tata motors that it is time to upgrade our car with a software update. Anyway planning for a Service on this Friday, will update post this.

Last edited by shamanths3 : 10th August 2022 at 11:19.
shamanths3 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 12:57   #414

Got this sms from Tata motors today

"Hello Nexon EV Fam, it's time to upgrade your car with a software update. Book an appointment with Tata Motors EV Service Centre to learn more!"

Seems EV max has a software update. Not sure whether the message is intended for nexon EV prime owners.

Anybody else got the message?
unniaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 14:30   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unniaan View Post
Anybody else got the message?
Yep, got an SMS and email about this, but I think it's the Prime update for non-Max Nexon EVs, the email implied that.

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-screenshot-20220810-2.30.05-pm.png

Last edited by aah78 : 10th August 2022 at 18:08. Reason: Quote trimmed. Image inserted in-line.
varkey is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 17:21   #416

Quote:
Originally Posted by missedapproach View Post
Apart from the exhaustive checklist available on this forum is there anything I should be paying attention to especially wrt to an EV?
Finally Max will be home early next week.I went ahead with white and did PDI, everything was ok, apart from lot of bird droppings on the roof and bonnet which i told them to clean immediately as I guess bird droppings are very acidic and might harm the paint. I Have question on z connect app, will it show charging summary and history when charged at home? If yes then I will not install a sub-meter, else i can see how much kw charge happened in last cycle, just to keep track of average monthly consumption.

Last edited by aah78 : 10th August 2022 at 18:08. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 10th August 2022, 23:37   #417
BHPian

Attached below is my average WH consumption for approximately 2700kms. This includes a lot of city/highway daily driving as well as one mumbai to pune round trip. Also, these kms are driven by me and chauffeur equally, and he doesn't know anything about adapting to EV style of driving etc. In my daily drive without traffic I've seen my figures averaging at around 125-135 wh/km. Only when there is like a early morning drive with minimal traffic have I seen figures go down to 99/100 wh/km. Proper bumper to bumper traffic does eat up more juice than cruising at 60-70kmph.

I drive my car roughly 70-80kms a day, and I've made it a practice to drive the car 3ce on a full charge, get the SoC down to 15-20% and then give it a full charge.

My takeaway after 70 days of owning the max is that acheiving 240-250kms range with 20% charge left is ideal scenario in which a lot of owners would fall into over the next few months. This is average Joe driving the car. Ofcourse you can squeeze in way more or less but that would totally depend on how conservative or harsh you drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon EV Max Review-20220806_115302.jpg  

yashcosmos is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 11:39   #418
BANNED

Coming late to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyampsunder View Post
That's a bit pessimistic. I am in the same camp as OP. A simple highway trip between Chennai and Bangalore ends up costing me roughly Rs 10k. The same on an EV will be Rs 1000 and there are plenty of 50 KW fast chargers on this route. I am happy spending another 30 mins in journey time if it can save me Rs 9000
What car do you drive? Most modern cars should give at least 15 km/litre (petrol) on the highway, more if you drive without flooring the pedal too much. Chennai-Bangalore would take about 22-24 litres max, or ₹2,200-2,400, one-way. Nowhere near ₹10,000 even two-way.
Old 13th August 2022, 12:34   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
Coming late to this:

What car do you drive? Most modern cars should give at least 15 km/litre (petrol) on the highway, more if you drive without flooring the pedal too much. Chennai-Bangalore would take about 22-24 litres max, or ₹2,200-2,400, one-way. Nowhere near ₹10,000 even two-way.
I drive a Honda CRV petrol. Gives me around 9-10 KM/litre if driven in a sedate manner. Two-way between Bangalore chennai comes to around 800 KMs including small city trips. With petrol prices at 100-110, can reach close to 10k without even considering the cost of servicing the car. But I understand the CRV is an exception. Even if you assume a car which is significantly better in FE, I am expecting atleast 5k-6k in fuel costs. EVs will continue to be cheaper by atleast 80%.
shyampsunder is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 23:23   #420
BHPian

After all the ordeal I described earlier, I heard from KHT that they have a grey Max available that they have gotten allocation for and can allocate to me. I contemplated for a bit and after all the wait and uncertainty, decided to give in. They've mentioned it is in transit and asked me to transfer 2L to then, which I haven't yet and considering it is the usual with other people as well, I don't mind doing, and considering this was a long weekend, they haven't yet forced me to but have allocated the vehicle and shared the VIN. The manufacturing is of July and the Zconnect and Service app showed the vehicle linked to my number, so I'm happy with that.

The SA says there's no extended warranty for max and I've asked him to recheck considering some members here have gotten it.

Also, insurance prices seem to have skyrocketed. I'm getting quotes of 65-75k. Royal sundaram (same provider given by dealer quoting 74k) has given a separate quote to me directly for 55k with same inclusions except engine protect which they said is not required for the car. Any thoughts?

On accessories, they claim that the 3D floor mats fit the max and I can check, which I will during the PDI. Coming to the PDI, any specific things to keep in mind during the PDI for EVs/Max? As far as I understand, a drive won't be possible.

Grey Max owners, what's the real life review of the colour? I never considered it, but think it might stand out considering there are probably 80% buyers for Teal!

On a separate note, before I got the call I was hoping for Mahindra's reveal today to have some exciting upcoming launches in 2022, and then wait that out, but considering the allotment and Mahindra's late 2024, I'm glad the allotment came through!
alok9345 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks