Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2022, 12:28   #556
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumedik View Post
The need of the hour is a definition of "true highway range" which is the range you get with 5 adults and their luggage onboard (maybe 5 standard suitcases !) and the car being driven close to its top speed of 140km/h without regen and with AC on. If this number is known and validated by multiple users then everything else can be back calculated.
Well depends if you can cruise at 140 speed. In that case, it will be almost 280km with Nexon EV Max. But the issue arises when you keep moving in between 40-140 speeds which can reduce the range to even 200 (worse case).

AC, infotainment, etc. may reduce the range by a few km (10-20 in my experience) but speed variation kills range.

And there is no one range fits all model with EV ( even with ICE the milage varies widely). So for highway trips plan with fast chargers and try to keep the battery's state of charge over 25% as much as possible.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th October 2022 at 18:20. Reason: Edited for better readability
sharathkamath04 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 15:31   #557
BHPian

Re: My First EV: Nexon EV 2.0 Aka Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by alok9345 View Post
I am not sure what you are trying to solve for over here. In what situation does one go 140km/hr with 5 adult occupants? One should be solving for their majority use case and not extremes. If it's your second car, it becomes a no-brainer for most of us even with today's range and charging infra, if you have an ICE for your "very" long highway runs, just for piece of mind while the electric infra develops for convenience.
The mention of driving close to 140km/h was indicative of "high constant speed highway driving in typical environment in terms of load etc".

I am looking at EVs as the primary and only car in the household and trying to justify whether it makes sense in terms of cost vs ICE.
Old 13th October 2022, 16:17   #558
BHPian

Hello fellow EV Max owners, happy to share that I have completed 10,000kms on my Nexon EV max.
I did complete my 2nd service at 7500 kms for which i had to pay some 1700-1800rs.
From my ownership for the last past 4 months I have been able to keep my Wh/Km averaging around 130Wh/Km, this is my everyday use with AC on all the time and normal driving speeds not exceeding 80Kmph, only once in a while i would have crossed the 100kmph mark. Ofcourse driving at 100 instead of 80 has a big impact on the range, the kind of impact which made me realise that its more sensible to drive at 80 so that i dont loose more time charging on highways!
My thumb rule of charging has become very simple, start from 100%, drive for around 230-250kms, SOC drops to 20-25% and then I charge it back to 100% which requires roughly 11hours which works for me pretty well. Never have i been a victim of range anxiety because very quickly you are able to calculate the kind of kms you can cover with regards to all the numbers thrown at you by the car. Mostly its been 3kms per percent for me, if I dont achieve that much I realise that car wont cross 230kms with 20% SOC. From all that I read on the telegram group ive also made it a habit to deep discharge the car every once in a while, i.e to drain the battery to as close as 10-15% as possible and then slow charge it to 100%. Theoretically this should prove to be good for battery life, nothing is proven though.

Coming to the small issues that ive faced, well, I havent faced any big problems yet, but for small nags I had to visit the service centre 3ce in the last 4 months and 10k kms. Since the service center has been on my routine route its never felt like a task to be honest.

And yes the under thigh support, which concerns a lot of people here, is honestly less in Max and its pretty evident since I have been driven around a lot when I am in the back seat and I’d wish this would be as good as the normal Nexon EV. I did try a hack once, removed my 5d mat and the difference was evident :-) , now i normally remove my shoe when I am to sit for an hour or more and then its much much better, so ofcourse better under thigh support is needed. P.S I am 5ft7in

I would be honoured to answer any queries fellow bhpians would have.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon EV Max Review-918de88d3a37458fabc5005f3110ab71.jpeg  

yashcosmos is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 16:20   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking at EVs as the primary and only car in the household and trying to justify whether it makes sense in terms of cost vs ICE.
In my opinion, it is not yet time to consider an EV as the sole/ primary vehicle. For that to happen, EV and battery tech needs to demonstrate maturity and reliability over the next 10 years or so and be an advantageous option over other alternatives. Add to that a comprehensive network for charging, most importantly, whether a country like India has an energy plan to support mass EV population. Suffice to say, keep an ICE car for some years.
fhdowntheline is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 16:26   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashcosmos View Post
I would be honoured to answer any queries fellow bhpians would have.
Thanks for the feedback. Not an owner, but researching on EV (as 2nd car).

Have you faced any error codes that required out of turn support from Tata, and if yes how were they resolved?

What is your experience with using public chargers?

Last edited by ajayc123 : 13th October 2022 at 16:50.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 16:32   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post

Have you faced any error codes that required out of turn support from Tata, and if yes hiw were they resolved?

What is your experience with using public chargers?
Yes I did face a red light stating critical error, the car would drive normally though, the Tata service center guy attached the laptop but didn’t find anything wrong with the car, after that 3ce it popped up and went away on its own, but didnt have any impact on driving, and no logs of the same in the laptop when connected.

I have used public chargers only twice and experience was flawless, good charging speeds, empty both the times and started charging in one go.
yashcosmos is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 17:38   #562

Quote:
Originally Posted by alok9345 View Post
Can you please let me know how that conversation goes. I have inquired at multiple places for PPF and unable to justify that cost for the car, but thinking need some protection for sure.
I'm also quite curious how this goes. I'm also planning for PPF+Ceramic coating for my Nexon EV when delivered. Any update whether KHT Motors have 3D Mats compatible with EV MAX? Any other recommended accessories for better under thigh support in the back seat and middle seat head support? I'm really impressed with XUV400 in this area and the interiors.
Jake_K is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 17:41   #563

Did anyone try a long round trip between Bengaluru to Hyderabad/Bengaluru to Kerala?

How is the charging infra in these routes? Any tips to plan for these drives? I'm planning a trip in these routes in the month of November or December 2022.
Old 13th October 2022, 18:09   #564
BHPian

Quote:
The mention of driving close to 140km/h was indicative of "high constant speed highway driving in typical environment in terms of load etc".

If you're comparing EV charging costs with ICE, then you should consider the worst case scenario, where even home charging is not feasible

Like in my apartment complex, where additional wiring is not allowed in the basement parking! You may find it hard to believe, but the option of charging at one's own parking lot has been officially cancelled before it even arose! This is going to be a fairly typical scenario everywhere going forward with middle class apartment complexes

In this scenario, you will have to schedule charging time, as well as pay commercial rates for fast charging

Which also raises the question of what consistent fast charging does to the battery. This will affect the perception of battery degradation and therefore value, even if facts prove otherwise, at least for the next decade

To my mind, this is the basic premise upon which costing should be done. The EV will still work out cheaper. Anything better is just icing on the cake

Cheers!
SanSabh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 19:54   #565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanSabh View Post
If you're comparing EV charging costs with ICE, then you should consider the worst case scenario, where even home charging is not feasible
Absolutely. The whole "Re 1 per km" USP of EVs is feasible only if home charging is possible. This also translates to EVs having enough range to ensure round trips are possible.

As of now, no EV in India seems to be a "cost saving" transportation option, mainly due to the huge gap in purchase price; even in today's era of inflated petrol prices.

I believe mass adaptation would happen only when EV cost of ownership becomes equivalent to comparable ICE cars within 50K km of driving.

Maybe Tiago EV is the first step in the right direction.
Sumedik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 20:06   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely. The whole "Re 1 per km" USP of EVs is feasible only if home charging is possible. This also translates to EVs having enough range to ensure round trips are possible.

As of now, no EV in India seems to be a "cost saving" transportation option, mainly due to the huge gap in purchase price; even in today's era of inflated petrol prices.

I believe mass adaptation would happen only when EV cost of ownership becomes equivalent to comparable ICE cars within 50K km of driving.

Maybe Tiago EV is the first step in the right direction.
Sorry but I disagree.

Say I am traveling 500 km using a car and let's calculate the prices:

~250 km range with Nexon EV 2.0 on highway. So the first 250 will cost me 40*8 = Rs. 320.
The next 250 will cost me 40*20 = Rs. 800.

* assumptions of Rs. 8/per unit at home and Rs. 20 per unit at fast charger and 40 units for 0-100%.

So total cost = 800+320 which leads to ~ Rs. 2/km.

Assuming a Nexon with 15 km/l milage, I would spend 33 l @ Rs. 6.6/km.

And this is the worst case for EV and the best case for ICE as city conditions are more favorable for both range and charging cost at home.

Do you still think EVs are not cheaper to run?

Last edited by Aditya : 14th October 2022 at 18:01. Reason: Edited for better readability
sharathkamath04 is offline   (7) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 13th October 2022, 20:16   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathkamath04 View Post

Do you still think EVs are not cheaper to run?
Certainly cheaper to run. But the procure cost is a lot more. I simply calculate how many kms an EV needs to be run to break even with a similar ICE car.

I did calculations similar to yours and for Nexon it came to around 80K kms. Just like the petrol vs diesel calculations we used to do earlier.

Also for EVs resale value continue to be suspicious, Im not even getting into that.
Sumedik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 20:24   #568
BHPian

Hi all, what is a good tire for the Nexon Max EV?

My one week old car which came with MRF Wanderer has already got a side wall cut and I need to replace it. Any recommendations please?
Old 13th October 2022, 20:32   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Certainly cheaper to run. But the procure cost is a lot more. I simply calculate how many kms an EV needs to be run to break even with a similar ICE car.

I did calculations similar to yours and for Nexon it came to around 80K kms. Just like the petrol vs diesel calculations we used to do earlier.

Also for EVs resale value continue to be suspicious, Im not even getting into that.
80k KMS is something one would use in 6years. This means I will still be under a battery and motor warranty from Tata for at least 2 more years.

If u buy an ICE car, the engine will be out of warranty in 3+2years much before 80k KMS.

For those 6 years, I am getting a noiseless, vibrationless, true automatic car with no exhaust and cheap running cost.

About resale, India is going towards EVs (even Maruti will get one in 2025). So after 6years who will buy a second-hand ICE car? Older vehicles give lesser mileage and petrol prices will keep increasing.

On another end even with 10% degradation, EVs will retain the 90% range and can be used for another 2yrs under warranty and maybe the next 10yrs (no 15yrs scrap rule) by someone will lower the range requirement.
sharathkamath04 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 20:43   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The best way to decide on having an EV as a primary car is to make a list of places that you have travelled in the past 5-6 years and conclude whether these destinations can be reached within the range of the EV that you want to buy.
Also have a look at Plugshare.com which has information on the charging infrastructure across India. See if there are sufficient fast charging facilities that can be used during your drives.

In my case, I could cover more than 95% of my previous drives with ease using the existing fast charging facilities. I took the plunge and I am happy with my decision. After I got the ZS, my other two cars have been driven for less than 200kms while the ZS has completed 7600kms in 2.5 months. This includes multiple highway drives and an all-night drive covering 600+kms in 14 hours. My confidence in using an EV as a primary car has grown with these experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_K View Post
Did anyone try a long round trip between Bengaluru to Hyderabad/Bengaluru to Kerala?

How is the charging infra in these routes? Any tips to plan for these drives? I'm planning a trip in these routes in the month of November or December 2022.
There are multiple fast chargers on both Bangalore-Hyderabad and Bangalore-Kerala route.

Ensure that you are within the range of next available charger should the one closest to you is not working or is under use. Also install the respective apps for fast chargers, this will help in identifying the chargers on your route that are free or in use.
speedmiester is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks