Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2022, 15:42   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradheepsr View Post
Sharing my experience with 1st free service of my EV max at Chima TATA , Madurai
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanths3 View Post
My experience for the first service has been Ditto
Quote:
Originally Posted by varkey View Post
I too got my 1st service done yesterday at 1990 km
I guess it is the same story everywhere with Tata Motors after-sales, be it EVs or ICE cars. Having owned a Tata Safari for 8 years in the past and being an owner of Tata Nexon EV Prime currently, I believe the crux of the problem is that there are just not enough Tata ASCs across the country, given the sheer number of Tata cars on the road. ASCs are simply overwhelmed with service volumes! When I was talking to the SA during my Nexon EV Prime service, poor guy was genuinely flustered at the number of cars he was having to deal with on a daily basis. They were running out of space at their facility, with cars piling up for electrical, mechanical, and body work. If Tata has to sustain their early-mover advantage in the EV space, they need to pull up their socks pronto and create a much more upmarket experience for their EV customer base which, by the way, is very different from their regular ICE customer base for the most part. As someone suggested, branching things off for Tata EVs (something like the Nexa) would be a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappex View Post
The service guys did some software tweaks (Details awaited), and the car is ready to drive
Please keep us posted on the final diagnosis, if there is one eventually As you rightly said, this is a price that early EV adopters have to pay and Tata Motors' sub-par after-sales experience is not helping the cause. Good luck
cool_dube is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 06:02   #467
BHPian

Wanted to ask a question to all Nexon/ tigor ev owners. Got my Tigor ev yesterday. Although vehicle is silent and drives well,i observed a strange phenomenon.

Whenever any of the door or indeed boot is opened, the cooling fan runs for like 10 seconds .Plus the fan runs for around 30 seconds after the car is locked. Is this normal?

Also when I had put it in charge, after some time the fan was like running continually and creating quite a racket at night. This might be a problem for my neighbours.

Searching in YouTube shows that this problem is after the pigtail update or something like that and some part has to be changed.

Does anyone have info on the same or is facing a similar issue.Appreciate if any of the EV experienced folks can shed light on this.
Old 26th August 2022, 18:10   #468

Quote:
My experience for the first service has been Ditto and I experienced every single problem you faced. If I hadn't reached out to my SA I would've not received the vehicle on the same day.

I had Zconnect app issue which was resolved by resetting the device under the passenger seat. But other than that I had no other concerns.
I agree that they had more vehicles to service, but if TAMO just concentrates on Sales but not service it will be difficult moving forward. I hope atleast the EV division breaks away and forms new centre for servicing like NEXA.

Want to share my initial experience of TAta NExon EV MAx.

1. Booked in Mid May (Prerana, Rajajinagar, Bengaluru), got registered in end July and took delivery on August 5, 2022. Wanted to drive the vehicle first to Tirupati - both sentiment and to understand the charging infra issues.

2. The SA told me not to charge until the battery came to 20%, the first two times.

3. So, drove it as dealer delivered. Reached Nandi Food Plaza, Bangarupalyam. DC Charging was smooth, but the power supply stopped. The hotel was not sure when the power supply would resume.

4. EZ app showed next charging stations in 30 km range. So, drove along. At the first stop, Sapthagiri Rooms and restaurant, of the two chargers, DC charger was not working as there was SIM issue. The AC 7.2 KW charger also malfunctioned. Tried for almost 90 minutes. Then shot off critical feedback on EZ app. Was pleasantly surprised to get a call in 5 minutes from Tata Power care, Mumbai. The lady then made their local techincal guy talk to me. I explained the situation and he tried to guide, but finally concluded it was a server issue. The DC charging SIM issue was bureaucratic within Tata Power.

5. For me, the next charging station was Sapthagiri, Gadanki. The best option would have been Taj, Tirupati. But, my EV battery was not sufficient to take me there. Then, the shocker. When asked why the Sapthagiri charging station was not green on App, the tata power technical guy told Tata Power has not cleared dues of the Local Partner and the LP had switched off supply to the charging unit.

6. I was at my wits end. Bit of cajoling and threat to post on social media, the technical person spoke to the LP and requested him to switch on power. I reached there. The charging did not happen for almost 45 min. Finally, after calling the Prerana guys, a person asked me to disconnect, start and shut the vehicle and charge. That worked.

7. But, Sapthagiri, GAdankai has a problem. AFter 7 pm, charging is an issue as they switch on their grinders and other equipment and the have no sufficient connected load to cater to charging and others. So, had to charge sufficient (and not full).

8. On return, the charging at Nandi was smooth.

The vehicle - after using X Trail and Duster- feels very safe, comfortable and steady. REsponse of vehicle is very good too. It pulled the uphill drive to Tirumala smoothly

on downhill drive, the battery was charging more than consuming.

The Tata motors , dealers support sucks. Have emailed Both MD, Tata Motors and Mr. NC, Tata Sons.

Good thing is responsiveness of Tata Power.

A few learnings:
1. If leaving from home, charge fully with AC.
2. We can only use 90% of charge. Once we drive below 10%, the vehicle shuts most functions, limits speed to 50-60 KMPH.
3. I got 133 WH/Km average. I used cruise for 40% of the drive, switched on AC for about 60% of drive. AC, even on economy mode pulls down range by 10%.
4. Better to top up once you hit 50%, at least until charging infra is fully steady or one understands the route well.
5. At 33KW DC charging, I could charge 75% in about an hour or less. At 25 KW, it was almost 105 minutes.

Will share more as I drive along. Please do give your feedback.
Sudarshan93 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 22:22   #469

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradheepsr View Post
- Once you are at the service station be prepared to wait in the que of EVs even though you have reached at the stipulated time. Again if I knew it was busy that day I would have chosen another date for service. I couldn't get any explanation for this from the SA.
It takes an average of 30 mins before you even get a SA allocated, in most honda showrooms. The only difference is that due to the number of years of ICE cars, SAs are generally clued in into the common problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
Last year during the Dec rains, I had an opportunity to drive through the mini floods of Chennai. At the heart of the city where it was like a flash flood, the car was submerged upto about a few inches above the door sill. I had to navigate these for about 50 minutes and there were points where I was still in the traffic for more than 5 minutes. Luckily there was no ingress of water into the car as well as no issues with the battery. I have done about 20k kms since then and all is well with the EV.
This is one of the major concerns for my better half. will show your post to her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
The savings from switching AC off and high beam to low beam is minisicule compared to the savings you get from dropping speed from 100 to 70kph. Don't worry about the power consumption of light, infotainment system etc.
AC does have a considerable impact, especially on prime. A couple of my friends switch off AC on highways on their primes to extend the range. impact is close to 8%
Old 29th August 2022, 13:29   #470
BHPian

Quote:

Were you able to make any progress in the mat search?
The 7d mats made specific for EV MAX are now available at Tata showrooms. Got minee installed today and they fit perfect without any folds or bends. 3D ones have still not come so I changed to 7D.

Last edited by prateekchanana : 29th August 2022 at 13:30.
prateekchanana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 13:30   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekchanana View Post
The 7d mats made specific for EV MAX are now available at Tata showrooms. go time installed today and they fit perfect without any folds or bends. 3D ones have still not come so I changed to 7D.
Oh great! What was the final price post any discounts?
Old 29th August 2022, 18:25   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Oh great! What was the final price post any discounts?
I had already paid for the 3D ones but they were part of a couple of accessories I got during delivery at a good discount. The price was 6800, ended up paying 4K more for switching to 7D.
prateekchanana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 17:35   #473
BHPian

Hello everyone, hope everyone is doing well.

I finally got the delivery for my WhooshWagon on 27th August - 3 days of driving, all in the city - surely fun!

Coming to the delivery, since the allotment post on this forum (which was probably quoted by others waiting at the same dealership and came back to bite me), everything was handled by the new SA and another person named Sadiq (DA), who was responsible for my delivery. Sadiq is a gem of a person and was single-handedly responsible for elevating my experience starting at the time of PDI. He was patient, informed and helpful. Anyone planning to buy from KHT Domlur, let me know and I'll put you in touch with him.

The car arrived at the stockyard 7-8 days from the date of billing and I did the PDI on 22nd August, Monday. I landed at the stockyard and the DA led me to the car. There she was, gleaming under the sun, among a swathe of intensi-teal Maxs, White and Black Nexons. The PDI went smoothly, looked for all the issues people mentioned on this thread earlier, and noticed similar fitment issues, but nothing major. Although the car was outside, it was covered in post-drizzle dust. As others mentioned, it is tricky for the dealers to agree to customer PDI, and it was also mentioned to me, but the SA was kind enough to arrange for the same. The same day I made the remaining down-payment, paid for and shared the insurance copy and got the loan disbursed.

Then, the wait started for the day of delivery, I was expecting it on Thursday, but due to some technical issues, the delivery date had to be moved to Saturday.

Twist of fate, I fell sick on Thursday evening and it was viral. But that didn't dampen my spirits and excitement, and I think it only helped recovery.

Come Saturday, I couldn't wait to head to the showroom, and waited with bated breath, headed to the showroom and immediately landed my eyes on the WhooshWagon. Did a quick visual inspection. By this time the delivery person arrived and we started chatting about the 3D mats and their fitting, he had given me the option to revert to plain rubber mats, in case I didn't like how 3D mats fitted. I liked the look of the 3D ones, the only concern being the hump on the driver side, but once I sat on the driver seat, and rested my feet on them, I didn't see any issue in keeping them on, so decided to go for them.

Usual documentation and we were ready for the unveil, the key handover and the cake cutting. Experienced this for the first time, and having the family around made it quite a proud moment. They explained the features and functions, do's and don'ts and we were good to go. The drive from there was sedate and just trying to get to know the vehicle, being my first 'SUV', I wanted to learn. Plus looking at that massive 364wh/km mileage on the dash, I was determined to bring it down. Headed to the temple for the pooja, and headed home. Checked everything that I could think of and made sure things were ok.

Coming to the driving experience and seating benefit - been driving in Eco mode for the most part and it is absolutely enough for Bangalore's city driving. The level-2 regen combined with Eco mode is what I'm trying the single-pedal driving with - ways to go before I learn it. The seating is comfortable and adequate for people of heights of 5.7 or below. Viewing angles are good for someone moving from a sedan, and the A-pillar is bad, but maybe Verna's wasn't too good either and I haven't yet seen that as being a problem.

Two issues that people have spoken about, and I faced, but probably have figured the resolution - brake lights on post switching off and locking the car - see if you can remove your foot from the brake pedal BEFORE switching off the car. Another one - the wipers going batshit crazy even if the rain is not heavy - try and keep the wiper speed at low setting, see if that helps.

I have a problem with the AC setting and seeking help - I have tried multiple things and haven't been able to zero in on the problem. Keep in mind, I have faced this problem irrespective of outside temperature or conditions. The front and back windscreen keeps getting fogged up - I have tried econ on or off, I have tried increasing the blower speed, I have tried reducing the temperature to 21-22 degrees, but it eventually fogs up, from the inside, and have to resort to the defogger to get rid of it every 15 minutes. It's kind of annoying, any help on that please!

Other than this, the Zconnect got activated last night and the data it shows is all messed up and I think it'll sort itself out over next few days of driving.

I did not get the extended warranty, and have asked them to keep me updated on when Tata launches it, but there's no news on it. Confirmed with Tata Motors CC and they mentioned it is not launched for the Max yet. Let's see, with new tech, would definitely want peace of mind.

I haven't also yet charged it, so that's another thing pending to be experienced. Hopefully it won't be eventful.

Thanks for reading this through till here!
alok9345 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 14:29   #474

Quote:
The same issue seems to be happening for most of the Max owners and seems update is the solution here.
I found a workaround for this issue, I switch off auto-hold before switching off the car when brake pedals are depressed.
missedapproach is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 00:05   #475

My First EV: Nexon EV 2.0 Aka Max

Background: - The Itch for an EV started back when Nexon was launched in 2020.Since covid, the working model was switched to WFH which even exists today, well, to an extent. It’s hybrid now, 2 days a week to be precise. My previous vehicle was a Dzire (2016) Diesel AGS/AMT. During Pandemic, usage was minimal, I drove only 2500kms in two years vs ~16000 which I used to clock in same time frame. Nevertheless, when I let her go, I clocked over 100k+ kms without major issues. For me, it was a high time for a change, not because of maintenance or fuel costs but because I was bored 😊. As stated earlier, I was inclined on switching to an EV just because it was now technologically advanced and offered a decent range and had viable charging options. I drooled for almost 2 years watching videos of all the available EV options. Nexon EV (1.0) had a workable range of 200-250 kms and MG ZS EV if I am not wrong had around 300+, but MG was out of my budget. Come May-22 Nexon EV max or Nexon EV 2.0 as they quote on invoice, was launched. I had a reason to switch now, that’s only because I travel 400 km+ twice a year to GOA to visit my sister, MAX meant I can be confident enough to do this with 2 charges in between without the “range anxiety”, although this is possible even with Nexon 1.0 with two charges but Max gave me some confidence. So, my mind was set and I took a leap and booked NEV 2.0 on 9th of June 2022.

Exchange and Booking Experience: I traded Dzire for Nexon. Not that they gave me an exchange bonus, but they offered me a good deal. I listed Dzire on various online platforms but TATA Exchange surprisingly gave me a better offer which matched with what I had in my mind. Long story short, I traded it and booked NEV 2.0 with 21K booking amount. I booked XZ+Lux with the signature teal blue which they introduced with NEV 2.0(more on that later). They told me upfront that the waiting period is close to 5-6 months, but if they are able, they will deliver early, a standard jargon which every dealer use I believe. They applied the usual accessory package of 17k. I told them I will take what I need, not a thing more than what I need. Overall booking experience was good, nothing worth to mention. OTR was close to 21 lac after the recent price increase of 60k in July’22.

The Surprise: On 31st July ’22 I got a call from SA, they told me there was a cancellation of same configuration I booked but with White colour. I thought for a while and considering the recent price increase and my “okayishness” on the colour, I actually was ok with any colour on offer but to give an option at the time of booking I gave the signature teal as my option. I gave them a go ahead with only one condition, I wanted to do a PDI before I confirm. In my mind I had a thought that the cancellation can also occur if rightful owner has rejected the vehicle due to PDI issues. But to their story they said owner could not get his loan process completed in time. I don’t know what was the true story but as I told them I did the PDI and everything was OK. Gave a go ahead and delivery was confirmed after a week of my loan approval.

Loan Process: I took loan from SBI with a smart interest rate and it was approved within a day of my filing. SBI is on par with the pvt banks these days at-least from the branch which I got it done. I told them to release the payment a day before delivery which they obliged. The delivery was fixed for 19th Aug (Janmashtami)

Choice number and Pre-Delivery: I am an aviation enthusiast and my family believes on numbers. Every car in my family had a number which totalled 9 and my parents insisted to have that total on this car as well which I obliged. I contacted an RTO agent I knew and he got it done. Choice number fee+1000 his service fee 😊 total was 4500+1000 and I got my favourite aircraft’s number “747” or MH12XX0747. I gave the receipt to the dealer and since now registration is a dealer point process, he got it done within a week, well basically due to “server” delays. Well, I had nothing to complain as I had decided the delivery date and they delivered on that date. Even if they would have got the registration done earlier, I was not eager to get it quicker. Otherwise, if you are lucky, it can be done within a day and you can take home your car/bike the next day.

Delivery and Initial Ownership Experience: - Before I come to delivery, I must talk about the accessory package which they levied. I only took my required “essentials” i.e. rubber mats, mud flaps, door guards and illuminated scuff plates. It costed me around 5.5k, so from the final invoice they gave me back 11.5k as an instant pay out. One good thing about the dealer, they did not even once convince me to take those extra accessories which I thought were not essential and obliged to my request and gave an instant refund on the unused accessory amount. Delivery was smooth and we drove for the compulsory temple visit.

After the customary visit to temple and pooja customaries, I did not drive it much since. However, I tested all the features of the NEV 2.0 and the initial impressions are too good. There are however some things I do not like which I will talk about in the next section. I have till now done around 230 kms.

Charger Installation: I opted for a 7.2kw AC fast charger. Our current approved load from MSEB was 6kw 3 phase and as per TATA power survey, they suggested to increase the load capacity to at least 10kw. Which I did through an online process (Load increase fee is 4500 Rs). You also need to submit a survey report on why current load need an increase. You can submit the TATA power survey report for the same. Until all this process was underway, on 20th Aug TATA power guys came and installed fast charger on my current load capacity but they derated the charger to use only 3.2kw. They told me once my load capacity is increased, they will come again and upgrade the charger to 7.2kw (the charger is Bluetooth enabled and they use an app to derate or upgrade the charger) Within 4 days, MSEB online application process was done and they upgraded load capacity and also upgraded all the wires from “main BUS” to the meter room to use a 10 sq mm copper wire against 6sq mm copper wire before. For this wire change, I had to pay an extra amount (around 1500 Rs). After the load and wire thingy sorted, I called TATA power again and they did a quick survey against the work done for the upgrade and finally upgraded my charger to 7.2 kw. Meanwhile, I also had a steel box enclosure(with lock and key) ordered and installed over the charger from my fabricator to safeguard the charger against vandalism or mischief.

After all those experiences I mentioned above, let’s move on to the likes and dislikes of the initial ownership in my perspective of NEV 2.0

2) Suspension Setup
3) Audio System
4) Good to have features which I use a lot i.e. Auto-hold, selectable regen levels, hill descent control (Pune needs that), wireless charging, Auto Wipers and Headlamp, Ventilated seats

Dislikes:
1) i-VBAC, this is one of the most talked about feature of Max, which essentially decides whether to use max regen while braking or use actual brakes itself, IMO the feel which you must get when depressing those brakes should be positive. You must actually feel those discs clinging on to the brake pads through your brake pedals, with this setup I do not get the same feedback and confidence, nevertheless, I am trying to live with it now.
2) Headlight setup, they are just plain and simply awful. I am thinking to upgrade them to LED’s but still thinking about warranty. If TATA accessories offer them now or in future albeit on a premium, I will go for it than to risk warranty if I do it outside.
3) Software issues like brake lights are lit even if you switch off and lock the vehicle when brake pedals are depressed (I noticed that this issue occurred only when I had the auto-hold feature on. Workaround is to switch off auto-hold before turning off vehicle). Another one, proximity sensors (read reverse parking sensors) still buzzing even if you start your vehicle in “P” mode (workaround do not switch off vehicle while in “R” mode). These issues will be addressed in my first service, I do not feel they need to be fixed asap as they do not annoy me as of now.
Overall, I am quite satisfied with the vehicle. I still have to do a range test, I have only drive for about 200+ kms till now. Looking forward to munch more miles!!

As an end note, let some pictures do the talking
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon EV Max Review-after_delivery.jpg  

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-accesories.jpg  

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-cockpit_view.jpg  

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-the_charger.jpg  

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-charging.jpg  

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-mseb_wiring.jpg  

missedapproach is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 11:09   #476

Quote:
Originally Posted by alok9345 View Post
Hello everyone, hope everyone is doing well.

Thanks for reading this through till here!

Thanks for sharing. I am also new to EV. Have just done two inter-city drives, totalling about 800 km.

1. Yes, Z connect does have an issue. Try uninstalling and reinstalling. I guess your SA has activated the app at the dealer end. Any issue will get sorted in 1st service.

2. During my 1st drive, I did get a bit of despair. After the initial hick-up, seem to be settling down.

3. I did the first charge at home, which charges approximately 3% per hour. I am using a 3.3 charger.

4. I drove to my estate near Sakleshpur. Topped up a bit at Zion near Shantigrama. I was reinstalling a new earthing system at the estate and replicating the same charging system (could not get the Legrand charging box outside). Just to check, I plugged the charger into the 15A socket, which is normally my UPS inlet connection. The charging was smooth. I started the return journey with a 90% charge.

5. I drove most of the distance without AC (except Nelamangala to home and whenever it rained) and on economy mode. The fogging can get cleared by pressing the windshield screen cooling button.

6. Onward journey was at about 130 WH/KM. Return was at around 110 WH/Km. Did not top up during return journey.

My limited learnings from two drives (I don't intend to use the EV much for city driving):

a. Charge at home fully. Slow charging seems to discharge a bit slower.
b. Check the charging points and availability of the route you plan to drive inter-city. This is akin to what situation existed 20+ years ago with petrol bunks. The only issue here is we can't carry charge in cans!
c. If going for longer than 300 Km drive, ensure you keep topping up once u touch 50%. While it increases the charging cycles (not great for battery life), it ensures you are charged fully.
d. Locate the Taj hotels on your route. They all have charging stations, a bit costlier than other Tata Power charging points. But safe and reliable.
e. If in an emergency, u are draining out and the charging station is not nearby, go to a nearby restaurant and plug into their 15 A socket. You can pay him what you pay at Tata Power or Zeon or even more.
f. Initial hiccups are bound to be there as charging stations are the issue. Tata Power's response is great if you give feedback on their app.
g. Zeon charging is Rs. 1 per KWH more than Tata Power. But more reliable and on certain routes, more spread out. Tata Power seems to have more charging station downtimes as they are yet to sort issues with Partners.
h. The issue is trickier when it comes to medium-distance travel to interiors...

I do hope by March 2023, we will be in a better situation on charging infrastructure. The key constraint, in this case, is that each DC charger needs a min. 40 KVA connected load. The state electricity supply companies are not presently very supportive of the applications for these charging connections.

Happy driving.

Last edited by navin : 1st September 2022 at 13:22. Reason: Trimmed the quote, spelling and grammar
Sudarshan93 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 16:00   #477
BHPian

Re: My First EV: Nexon EV 2.0 Aka Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by missedapproach View Post
Background: -
2) Headlight setup, they are just plain and simply awful. I am thinking to upgrade them to LED’s but still thinking about warranty. If TATA accessories offer them now or in future albeit on a premium, I will go for it than to risk warranty if I do it outside.

To your point on the poor headlights: You should definitely explore upgrading to LEDs with the same holder type (H7/H8, etc.), so that you don't cut or splice any wires.

While your warranty worries are valid, I would think visibility and safety take precedence over any spats you may have with TASS in the future over warranty coverage. Worst come, you could swap out the LEDs to the regular bulbs if you claim warranty at any point in the future.

Last edited by Eddy : 2nd September 2022 at 16:16. Reason: Please quote only the relevant portion of a post. Quoting a long post hampers readability
vijaysrk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 17:04   #478

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaysrk View Post
While your warranty worries are valid, I would think visibility and safety take precedence over any spats you may have with TASS in the future over warranty coverage. Worst come, you could swap out the LEDs to the regular bulbs if you claim warranty at any point in the future.
Valid point I will ask TAMO if they do provide LED lights. If not, I will get them upgraded outside. Are there any good options at a low price point? because i will need 2 pairs for the headlights and 1 pair for fogs, the setup will cost me around 15k+ if I go with OSRAM's which I had on my dzire.
missedapproach is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 10:38   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by missedapproach View Post
Valid point I will ask TAMO if they do provide LED lights. If not, I will get them upgraded outside. Are there any good options at a low price point? because i will need 2 pairs for the headlights and 1 pair for fogs, the setup will cost me around 15k+ if I go with OSRAM's which I had on my dzire.
Speaking from my experience with the Tata Hexa, I would say that you'd need go about it one at a time. Figure out which is the weak link in your setup - is it the low beams, high beams or the fogs?

In the case of the Hexa, the low beam projectors are pretty bad, and I did get a considerable benefit after changing to GPNE LEDs that I sourced from Chandru in Coimbatore (he's very active on all the SOUL/Hexa Whatsapp and Telegram groups)

On the high beams though, I got a splendid improvement in beam throw and visibility when I switched to the same GPNE LEDs.

Alternatively, you could just upgrade the FOGs to HIDs (I got AES HIDs with high/low built in, and hard-wired them to the high/low headlamp connections. The results are spectacular; I'll take snaps and post them someday!

As you've probably guessed already, all this involved quite a bit of trial/error and expense. Unfortunately, reliable lighting upgrades are a time-consuming and expensive affair, no way around it (unless you find someone who has the same car model who upgraded his car, and you simply replicate his setup).

Last edited by vijaysrk : 3rd September 2022 at 10:42.
vijaysrk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 13:46   #480
BHPian

No Hypermilling - Then How am I able to extract 350km plus range on my Nexon EV MAX

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-20220721_174119.jpg

Hello Fellow Bhpians,

After a month of driving, I wanted to share my experience with you all on how I am able to extract the MAX out of my car (pun intended) without the need for any hypermilling. Most of the observations may be common and already our experts may have pointed this out in other posts, but I am posting in the hope that it might help some new enthusiasts.

How I Drive my ICE cars

I have owned two cars previously and bot have been petrol, however I do have experience Turbo Diesels. I am always the one who ignores fuel efficieny and concentrates more on the RPM's sweet band. And in highways, I always have had a heavy right foot.

How I have adopted to EV driving

I don't like to drive my cars with Windows down and so the Climate control is always on. There is no change here compared to my previous cars. But the major change has come in the way of my Accelerate the car and the way I apply the brakes.

Acceleration:
I drive in 2 styles like most people, Inside City and Outside City.
Inside the city, I am slower and cautious, so the graph usually has spikes above and below the blue line more often than not because of the Bangalore traffic. It is very difficult to keep the power line constant and steady. Also the acceleration is usually sudden and I demand immediate power from the Motors, otherwise I will have to hear lot of honkings or someone will try to cut me off.

On the Highway and open roads is where you can extract the most out of your Battery and Motors.
Contrary to popular belief, I have observed that MAX comes to its own while driving on highways and open roads where you can maintain a constant power graph. The effects of regeneration is something you can ignore. The way I drive is to try and keep the Power bar as low and parallel to the Blue line. Also when accelarating there shouldn't be a spike, but a gentle slope till you reach the required acceleration. I will detail how you can do that below,

1. Avoid manual acceleration as much as possible and use Cruise Control (CC). CC is your friend and I should really commend Tata for such a wonderful implementation of the CC in an EV.
2. If you ever need to brake or decelerate due to traffic or road conditions while on the CC, don't wait and immediately resume the CC once you are clear, and observe how gentle the power graph rises. This is how we should normally drive.
3. CC doesnt actually depend much on Regen, although I have seen that sometimes regen does happen. So don't disengage the CC in downhills as it will manage the speed on its own and try keep the bar constant.
4. Keep any speed you want, I have been able to extract the same range even at 100kmph+ speeds. Major variable is how the stretch of that highway is, if there are lot of uphill climbs, then the CC needs to add more power to maintain the speed and thus reducing the range.
5. Do not think too much about overtaking. Stick to your lane and let the CC do its job, but always be cautious and be prepared to brake. Dont worry, Max has one of the best Brake setup and you will slow down on a dime.
6. Night travel seems to reduce the range a little bit, although not too much due to the use of Headlights and High Beams.

Braking :

Just 2 points here,
Use regen as much as possible. I feel for City Regen 2 is the best and for Highways regen doesnt matter as much.

Be gentle on brakes, IVBAC does its job in recovering the energy and doesnt affect the feel of the brakes. I havent had any issues in adjusting from the Sharp Hyundai brakes to the EV brakes.

Conslusion :
As you can see in the Image below , I have set my AC at 22.5 degree Celsius which is more than the comfortable temperature and I was able to extract an efficiency of 125 wh/km with 5 souls on board with 50:50 City and Highway driving, however most of my driving is with just 2 and in highways where I can get even more range. I have tested this Theory in multiple roads, like Mysore-Bangalore , Bangalore - Hassan, Bangalore - Doddaballapura highways and the result seems to be the same. Cruise control is your best friend.
Tata Nexon EV Max Review-20220828_193551.jpg

I was able to see a range of 417km after charging to 100% (forgot to take the pic later). But I have never been able to extract 400km+ range. So assume in highways 300km+ is always possible and 350km is totally possible if the Cruise Control is used on a good highway.

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-20220829_183649.jpg

[PS: All of my ranges here have been with the AC on and I never switch it off. All the creature comforts like Wireless charging, Dashcam, Speakers are used as and when needed.]

Last edited by shamanths3 : 6th September 2022 at 13:49.
shamanths3 is offline   (27) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks