Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2013, 10:26   #15346
BHPian

Re: The Official non-auto Image thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Dear Friends,

Quick Question: What software do you use to compress pictures without losing quality ?
I use JPEGmini. They don't have a Windows app, so you will have to use their website if you are on Windows.

http://www.jpegmini.com/
Old 31st January 2013, 11:10   #15347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
The image widths are in the ranges of 2333 pixels, you could still reduce it to something like 1024 and save the jpeg with 90% or higher quality, they will just appear the same in the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I use JPEGmini. They don't have a Windows app, so you will have to use their website if you are on Windows.
http://www.jpegmini.com/
Thanks clevermax. That's correct, the image width is still high. I had kept it intentionally. Reason being that if someone downloads it, they can set it as wallpaper even.
Will try Gandhi's recommended website to see it it helps me.
Thanks Gandhi. This site looks good. Will try is out in my next venture.
Old 31st January 2013, 12:01   #15348
BHPian

Quote:
It's actually just amazing piece of software. Check out this 2 photos. First is original 4.4mb JPEG exported from Lightroom with resolution of 4231 × 2213. And second is the version processed by JPEGmini at the same resolution but 1.3mb.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ptx8n171lg...Diego-0143.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b83pi6640m...43%20small.jpg

I'm actually thinking about processing all my photos with JPEGmini to save some space on the HDD.

Last edited by Gandhi : 31st January 2013 at 12:06.
Old 31st January 2013, 12:25   #15349
Distinguished - BHPian

Same subject but, different composition. Which is a better picture?
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-_dsc1974.jpg  

The Official non-auto Image thread-_dsc2004.jpg  

Old 31st January 2013, 14:51   #15350
Senior - BHPian

Aggressive monkey, Galibore Fishing Camp
The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc_2696.jpg

Sunset near Kundukottai (a place on the way to Anchetty, mentioned in a number of Kennth Anderson stories).
The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc_3221.jpg

Aggressive male tusker in Segur Plateau, Nigiris. Almost 10 feet high. HAs destroyed quite a few vehicles, from what I hear.
The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc_0588.jpg

Last edited by nilanjanray : 31st January 2013 at 14:53.
Old 31st January 2013, 15:15   #15351
Team-BHP Support

Couple of portraits from Bangalore OTR, she is the daughter of member BlackRaven. I like the way sun has lit her hair.

The Official non-auto Image thread-p1260281.jpg The Official non-auto Image thread-p1260285.jpg
Old 31st January 2013, 20:33   #15352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I use JPEGmini.
Quote:
you can use irfanview to resize/resample. while saving you can reduce the quality to about 80 to get same advantage without any apparent loss of quality (as this jpegmini site). lower if you want ot be more aggressive. Remember, it's always a trade off between size and quality. Irfanview has a very goob batch processing tool for almost everything that you can do in GUI.

The Official non-auto Image thread-clipboard02.jpg

I wrote and posted on TBHP a script to do mass resize/bordering back in 2010. Read the readme.txt first please. The quality can be changed in the .ini files.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9FP...xZDNlMjc0/edit

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 31st January 2013 at 20:34.
Old 31st January 2013, 20:56   #15353
Senior - BHPian

Hazam Sab Chahe Jab.

Any suggestions, comments or criticism welcome!

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc6583-copy_8767_1234_temp.jpg
Old 1st February 2013, 03:30   #15354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
1) I am nowhere near being an expert. I'm learning. So I do not have any technical merit.

2) I honestly like the photos I uploaded. Yes, there are a million areas that need improvement, but I spent time taking these photos. I was running manual mode (which isn't my comfort zone). I spent time post-processing them, till I was satisfied with the output. By posting here I was hoping I'd get constructive criticism. Proper composition is somewhat of a vague phrase, but if you mean implementing the rule of thirds etc. I've been practicing doing so. These particular photos, however, are occasions where I've stepped out to experiment. Because you only learn with experimentation.

3) It is now well past fall and I found a set of photos on my camera that had somehow evaded being uploaded to my computer. Hence the upload and post now.

Technical merit is not needed but a slight detachment is needed. What I mean by that is you're excited and you end up loving the experience of making a deliberate photo. Now, when you get home, that experience is still lingering and that kind of clouds your judgment about the photos. Your awesome experience makes you think you have great photos. But, it need not be so. Of late, I have realized that's the case. So, I don't process or look at my photos after I come back from a shoot. I just upload it to my computer and let it be. I go back after a few weeks, when the excitement has worn off and look at my photos.

I am clearly able to see the shortcomings of my own photos and I don't even bother processing if I don't like a photo. Because I am wasting my time as half way through processing, I'll realize I don't like it and just delete the photo. Instead, I choose very very few photos to work on and concentrate on that one. It has helped me tremendously. I got this tip from various famous street photographers who shoot so much and don't look at their film for months. And then, when they do, they find their gem.

About manual mode, to be honest (and to the point of being blunt), no one cares what mode you shoot in. I was shocked recently to learn that a famous wedding photographer in India shoots in "P" mode and trust me, he's one of the highly paid ones in the market right now. Experimentation is good and at the end of the day I hope you're doing this because you love doing it and not to please others. Most of us tend to forget why we started taking photos in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat_iyer View Post
Am uploading a few images of a shikra enjoying a meal - captured near Pune in Oct 2012. Camera - Nikon D5000, Lens - Sigma 150-500. Processed using Photoshop CS6.
Venkat,
You've managed good sharpness and bokeh, but the composition is a little boring for me. May be keeping the Shikra off the centre would have worked for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Same subject but, different composition. Which is a better picture?
The light is harsh, but composition wise, I like the second one better because the top portion (mountain, sky, horizon etc) is not doing much for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Hazam Sab Chahe Jab.

Any suggestions, comments or criticism welcome!

Attachment 1045695

Lekin ye photo hazam nahi hui :P. Hajmola in front of a computer screen/keyboard doesn't mean anything to me. What's the story you're trying to tell?

And here's one from my trip to SF last month. I walked around a lot and as I was crossing the street, I saw this. A lot of people were walking about so I didn't like the first photo. Walked back to the spot, waited for the people to clear and took another one. What do you guys think?

The Official non-auto Image thread-8425145909_5f48532ea1_c.jpg
Old 1st February 2013, 04:14   #15355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Experimentation is good and at the end of the day I hope you're doing this because you love doing it and not to please others. Most of us tend to forget why we started taking photos in the first place.
Hellwrath, I really appreciate the advice. Thank you.

Note from Support - Quoted text edited. Please avoid quoting an entire lengthy post as it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 1st February 2013 at 11:31.
Old 1st February 2013, 07:48   #15356
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Friends,

Quick Question: What software do you use to compress pictures without losing quality ?

Reason for Asking:
The images from a DSLR comes at ~ 3--5 MB, which is not acceptable on TBHP.

My Current Solution:
I have been using Adobe PS and use Save As and then lower the quality of the images, which reduces the file size, but I guess the quality is compromised by doing this.

Help Please.
Hi Soumyajit9,

If you are using Photoshop, why don't you use the Image -> Image Size option to resize your image? I am attaching a screen shot below. As seen below, you can resize it to the pixels you want, and select "Bicubic Sharper (Best for reduction)" option to make sure that quality does not degrade too much while resizing.

Also, do you shoot in RAW? This too helps in maintaining image quality post processing.
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-fullscreen-capture-01022013-074125.jpg  

Old 1st February 2013, 09:58   #15357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Loved the way you have presented this beauty. Perfect rugged look around. Just curious, where do you process film ?
Thanks!

Yesterday I walked into the local digital studio near Technopark -

Me: Do you have film?
Shop owner: Yes we do! How many rolls?
Me: Two rolls of 200 please. Do you process film?
Shop owner: Yes we do. Turn around time will be 3 to 4 days. We can give prints as well as jpegs.
Me: <Happy> Wow, People still shoot with film?
Show owner: Yes, we do an about 15 to 20 rolls a week. All from amateurs and none from professionals.

They had only one type of color film, need to check where can I get some B&W ones also.

Last edited by clevermax : 1st February 2013 at 10:01.
Old 1st February 2013, 12:05   #15358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
you can use irfanview to resize....
Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat_iyer View Post
If you are using Photoshop, why don't you use......
Thanks Vivek for the tool. I haven't tried it out yet. Will let all know how it works out.

Thanks Venkat for the options within PS itself. Will try it in my next stint.
I shoot in JPEG mode and not RAW mode.

In the meanwhile, I just came across a pic that I had taken last year in London, with my Nokia C7-00 mobile. I don't know what happened, but the colour, contrast, brightness, etc came out mind blowing ! Without any post processing or edits. This is by far the best photo shot using my Nokia.

St. Pauls Cathedral, London

The Official non-auto Image thread-20120624283.jpg
Old 1st February 2013, 14:55   #15359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
.....no one cares what mode you shoot in. I was shocked recently to learn that a famous wedding photographer in India shoots in "P" mode and trust me, he's one of the highly paid ones in the market right now....
Agree 100% here, also like to add 'none cares what camera or lens you shoot with' ! That "P" guy is not me for sure I have never tried that mode till date. Lately I shoot 100% manual just because I find it more comfortable and I am sure about what final output I am getting end of the day, less PP time too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
...Yesterday I walked into the local digital studio near Technopark....need to check where can I get some B&W ones also.
I know few friends here who bought the film cams out of excitement, but sadly most of them dont use it after the 1st week. My personal interest for film cam is equal to my love for Jeeps. I like the adventure, fun, excitement etc of it, but not ready to take the pain (Jeep=rough ride, dust, heat) vs (Film cam=hunting for rolls, no instant view, developing, printing).

This year I am going to bore everyone with various self portraits
The Official non-auto Image thread-shch3.jpg
Learning is always fun, I enjoy every bit of it !
Old 1st February 2013, 19:22   #15360
Senior - BHPian

Taken earlier this week when temperature suddenly hit 60+F in cincinnati. It was latein the evening with a blue hue, i had to increase the warmth to make it look like this.

kit lens at 55mm at F5, 1/100 S, ISO 800

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc04540.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks