Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2008, 10:01   #2581
Team-BHP Support

redcandle, the bird photo is an one in a million shot. Not only you got a well composed lowlight BIF (Bird in Flight) shot, you got the catchlight in the eye. I assume this was a high-ISO shot going by the noise, but noise doesn't matter since you managed to get the wow factor right. Only a Canon dSLR could have got this at such low light I suppose. Congrats!

The second one has very good color effect, although I suggest a reframing of the shot as follows for better composition.

Old 15th February 2008, 10:03   #2582
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Redcandle, if the background of this image has not been photoshopped, I am interested to know how you got it.
Actually he should not sharpen any further. A slight blur is desirable in action shots. Besides, he has the eye in perfect focus, that's ideal.
Old 15th February 2008, 10:15   #2583
Team-BHP Support

Wow thats a nice ISO 1600 shot. One suggestion why don't you poast the larger size, this is too small, I saw the larger size on your flickr page and it looks much much better
Old 15th February 2008, 11:11   #2584
Team-BHP Support

Another thing, I saw a lot of robin shots in your flickr gallery? Is that a regular visitor to the bird house?
Old 15th February 2008, 11:47   #2585
Senior - BHPian

Yes, really great shot. I havent seen this kind of images even in many popular bird galleries. The only other one I have seen in on PAAI of a small bird shot with a canon prime lens. Thats why I was immediately interested to know how he got this.
Old 15th February 2008, 12:00   #2586
BHPian

@redcandle: Amazing bird shot there. Congrats!

-- Torqy
Old 15th February 2008, 21:46   #2587
BHPian

Thanks

Thanks a lot mail4ajo, rr_zen, Samurai, tsk1979, Torqy. Much appreciate your comments.

As some of you may know that am still a amateur. Have got high expectations from myself to develop this as a hobby. The only thing thats stopping me is lack of time and current inability to buy a decent lens. (got my eyes on Canon 100-400 L and Canon 28-135L) Can probably buy them today, but that would mean a stupid decision since have plenty more important things to buy before that.

Quote:
The bird looks nice with the background, Try sharpening the image a little. Bird will really stand out.
I did try in PS CS2. Not an expert but, due to the grains in the picture it just dint work. Besides, it looks pretty decent at the moment. And a old Canon 75-300 can only do so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
redcandle, the bird photo is an one in a million shot. Not only you got a well composed lowlight BIF (Bird in Flight) shot, you got the catchlight in the eye. I assume this was a high-ISO shot going by the noise, but noise doesn't matter since you managed to get the wow factor right. Only a Canon dSLR could have got this at such low light I suppose. Congrats!

The second one has very good color effect, although I suggest a reframing of the shot as follows for better composition.

Thanks again. You know, it almost is literally one in a million. If you look at my Flickr page, have a few shots. They are from a selection of about 10 clear pictures. And those 10 were the only ones I decided to keep after trying to picture this bird at different settings over days. Must have taken at least 300 pictures. Went crazy to get the right picture.

This current one was at very high shutter speed. The ISO was initially kept to a low 100 to get a clear picture. But the 75-300 1:4-5.6 lens does not let enough light through and the picture is a black canvas. I think the ISO was set to 1600 to get a decent picture. There was no sun either at that time.

Regarding the second sunset picture: Your cropped version seems to be much better. The picture I posted was already cropped from much wider picture. So at that time my mind probably was just not ready to crop it to this extent. But definitely looks better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Actually he should not sharpen any further. A slight blur is desirable in action shots. Besides, he has the eye in perfect focus, that's ideal.
Thanks Samurai. Much appreciate your views and admire your work and envy your kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Wow thats a nice ISO 1600 shot. One suggestion why don't you poast the larger size, this is too small, I saw the larger size on your flickr page and it looks much much better
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Another thing, I saw a lot of robin shots in your flickr gallery? Is that a regular visitor to the bird house?
Thanks again. You might have noticed that it was posted on a busy Valentine's Day ;-) so did posted them in a hurry. Will definitely do it next time.

The bird recently started residing in our back garden. Was very very shy initially, dint give me a single clear image. Above I said I went crazy to get a decent shot. Actually, crazy is an understatement. I actually stopped taking pictures and tried to tame it so that it came closer. Over a period of one month all I did was...as soon as I saw it in the garden, I started leaving tiny amount of food for it. After about 2 weeks it knew when I went into the garden, it was for feeding, and it used to fly closer. (NOTE: the female was much more daring than the male.) Now whenever it sees me through the glass doors, it flies straight to it to DEMAND food. Interesting, isn't it? And people think birds cant be tamed. Next, I am trying it to come and take food from my hands. Will take a long time for that though.

Some people must be thinking...."what a nutter!" :-)

Quote:
Yes, really great shot. I havent seen this kind of images even in many popular bird galleries. The only other one I have seen in on PAAI of a small bird shot with a canon prime lens. Thats why I was immediately interested to know how he got this.
Cant wait to fulfil my other needs and then spend some money to upgrade my gear. Will brush my skills on the current gear until.

Thanks once again everyone. Will try and get better shots and if I do manage, will post them.

Cheers

Redcandle
Old 16th February 2008, 16:28   #2588
BHPian

One of my Favourites

Old 16th February 2008, 21:18   #2589
BHPian

Clicked at Koti Hyderabad,

Camera: Canon 400D
Lens: Sigma DG Macro.

Old 16th February 2008, 21:51   #2590
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcandle View Post
Thanks Samurai. Much appreciate your views and admire your work and envy your kit.
Thanks, but I am an amatuer just like you. About the kit, when I see other photographers on the net, I know I am not making justice to it. With great kit comes great responsibility of using it right. I am nowhere there yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcandle View Post
After about 2 weeks it knew when I went into the garden, it was for feeding, and it used to fly closer. (NOTE: the female was much more daring than the male.) Now whenever it sees me through the glass doors, it flies straight to it to DEMAND food. Interesting, isn't it? And people think birds cant be tamed. Next, I am trying it to come and take food from my hands. Will take a long time for that though.

Some people must be thinking...."what a nutter!" :-)
Actually you have the right attitude for wildlife shooting, you have made yourself acceptable the bird. That explains the close shots you are taking.
Old 17th February 2008, 08:58   #2591
Distinguished - BHPian

@Redcandle, like Samurai said, the bird shot is a one-in-a-million shot. And effort you have put in for all this is much more than what your narrative says in words. The kind of effort and dedication you have put in will definitely get you lots of good shots.
Quote:
redcandle : Over a period of one month all I did was...as soon as I saw it in the garden, I started leaving tiny amount of food for it.
Pls remember to feed them only birdseed / grains. Pls do not feed it anything else like what we eat, just in case you have tried to.
Old 18th February 2008, 10:39   #2592
BHPian

@redrage: Sunset in SLOW MOTION?
Good play of colors!

-- Torqy
Old 18th February 2008, 13:05   #2593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
@redrage: Sunset in SLOW MOTION?
Good play of colors!

-- Torqy