Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2008, 15:43   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Just wanted to share with you:

I have a Nikon D40 that's I use for all my photoblogs. Been happy with it. So when yesterday my BIL gave me a box, imagine my face when I saw that he bought me 2 interesting presents

1 - A pro battery grip.

The DSLR Thread-d40grip4.jpg

The DSLR Thread-d40grip3.jpg

The DSLR Thread-d40grip5.jpg
Images taken from here.

2 - Nikon SB600 flash

The DSLR Thread-sb600.jpg

I'm such a happy chappy now
Old 19th December 2008, 16:43   #227
Senior - BHPian

Nice gifts you got there Sam. I wish I was also that lucky ;-). BTW, doesn't Nikon grips have a shutter button or it's just a battery pack?

BTW, anyone know the current grey market price of a Canon 40D?

Last edited by kaushik_s : 19th December 2008 at 16:44.
Old 19th December 2008, 16:55   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Nice gifts you got there Sam. I wish I was also that lucky ;-). BTW, doesn't Nikon grips have a shutter button or it's just a battery pack?
More than a battery pack, it allows you to grip the camera with 4 fingers. Now I can pretend to be Rudra!

You are correct, Nikon grips have a vertical shutter button. However Nikon does not make grips for the D40. This is a third-party product.
Old 19th December 2008, 17:23   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
More than a battery pack, it allows you to grip the camera with 4 fingers. Now I can pretend to be Rudra!
Ha ha yeah, you can now. Adding a grip to a camera takes the handling to a different level.

Quote:
You are correct, Nikon grips have a vertical shutter button. However Nikon does not make grips for the D40. This is a third-party product.
That answers the question
Old 19th December 2008, 17:23   #230
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now I can pretend to be Rudra!
Wait till I add some more weight to that grip.

Can someone get me a kg of lead please?
Old 20th December 2008, 23:51   #231
Sha
BHPian

Transferring photos from DSLR to iPhone

Guys anybody has transferred photos from DSLR to iPhone through USB wire.
Old 21st December 2008, 00:35   #232
Senior - BHPian

@skywalker: thanks mate. Ill leave it for him to deciede. He wants a DSLR and not a P&S one.
@scream: sky has summed it up regarding the lens. Ill try to repeat what I was told by the salesman. 200 K comes with a standard lens while d60 comes with a normal lens and a vr lens, extra lens upto 70mm is being provied bundled with the camera and the VR lens for AED300 against AED700 for the lens kit if bought separately. Thats about all I remember.
Old 21st December 2008, 10:31   #233
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Can someone get me a kg of lead please?
2 other activites I have been involved in use lead to good effect. you can get lead sheet as well (used for damping speaker wall resonances).

3lb Lead Weight with Clip - DiveLife - Scuba diving equipment from DiveLife.

Winchester Australia - Products
Old 21st December 2008, 18:04   #234
Senior - BHPian

Guys I am still confused. I still dont know which one to go for keeping in my this would be my first DSLR. I am confused between NikonD300, Canon 40D (going for cheap now a days), Nikon D90 and Canon 450D. Even though I have a budget of around 60 k's (+- 5k's) I dont want to burn money just for the sake of it.
Old 21st December 2008, 18:45   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Guys I am still confused. I still dont know which one to go for keeping in my this would be my first DSLR. I am confused between NikonD300, Canon 40D (going for cheap now a days), Nikon D90 and Canon 450D. Even though I have a budget of around 60 k's (+- 5k's) I dont want to burn money just for the sake of it.
Well, I was in the same situation few days back. I eventually bought 450D. Being a first timer, it is all that you will need. Just add some good lenses depending upon how frequently and for what purpose the camera will be used. I am still trying to learn the tricks with this one. 40D would have been an over kill for me at this stage (entry level).
Old 21st December 2008, 19:09   #236
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When you make a decision considering SLRs you need to factor in 2 things:
1. It is a system you are buying into - so see the lens offerings both offer and that will narrow your options - for example for me the Canon 17-55 IS made the decision. Nikon's 17-55 does not have IS and hence I loose 2 or so stops.

2. After sales service. Your camera will need service. Get the system that has the most convienent service in your area.

Lastly work backwards:
1. what will you photograph (low light indoor, low light landscape, safaris, family, etc..)
2. what lenses do you need to cover your needs (zooms, primes, macros, tilt/shift).
3. what body works best with your choice in lenses.
Old 21st December 2008, 21:37   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
@scream: sky has summed it up regarding the lens. Ill try to repeat what I was told by the salesman. 200 K comes with a standard lens while d60 comes with a normal lens and a vr lens, extra lens upto 70mm is being provied bundled with the camera and the VR lens for AED300 against AED700 for the lens kit if bought separately. Thats about all I remember.
The choice, based on price, should be between the Sony and the Nikon. Between the two I would go for the Nikon (with the VR lens) because it's a more thorough and extensive photographic system than Sony.
Photo equipment is a core business for makes like Nikon and Canon while for Sony it's one among many things they do. Won't be a big deal for them to jettison the whole SLR biz tomorrow if it doesn't do well.
Old 21st December 2008, 21:41   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know much about the Canons but between the D300 and D90, I'd go for the latter. It fits your budget and for a beginner the D300 is a bit of an overkill. Plus you can shoot movie clips with it - I don't think any other camera on the list does that.
Old 21st December 2008, 23:06   #239
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
what?? no opinions on the new E30??
I am a little shocked at the price, I'd say stick to E-520 or E-3. It is entirely stupid on part on Olympus to release E-30 at $1300 when the E-3 is available for $1200. The E-3 is full pro model with magnesium body and full weather seal, the E-30 similar to 50D or D300, a semi-pro dSLR. That's like Canon releasing 50D at a price point above 5D.
Old 21st December 2008, 23:19   #240
Senior - BHPian

Nikon D80 + 18-55mm VR Lens kit at 29k

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks