Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2008, 15:55   #256
Sha
BHPian

Anybody knows what is the cost of Canon 10-22mm lens. I have been quoted 33500 INR for this lens. Anybody has purchased recently and what is the cost.
Old 22nd December 2008, 16:00   #257
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Budget? what budget?

Currently all expenses are on hold. I cant worry about jam when bread's availability is doubtful.
In that case why are worrying about a dSLR, it is a moneypit. You keep on dreaming for better lenses and better body.
Old 22nd December 2008, 16:09   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Anybody knows what is the cost of Canon 10-22mm lens. I have been quoted 33500 INR for this lens. Anybody has purchased recently and what is the cost.
Price seems to be correct. Just converted the price quoted at bhphoto in INR. You may be aware that prices of the lens don't fluctuate/go down like the DSLR bodies.

I bought this lens in May 2007 from Singapore and paid SGD 1050 (Rs.28350 converted exchange rate of Rs.27), now at the same price, it comes to 34718.

regards

tifosi.
Old 22nd December 2008, 16:13   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
USP of D80,for me, is status lcd and its sophisticated metering.

And regarding the 'M' factor, 400d is available for 31.5K with Bill and warranty . It is 26.5K in grey .
D80, though , is not readily available here in Hyd.
According to JK Das post, D80 too comes for around 29 K grey(i mean , if bought from abroad).
Even canons and nikons 50 mm prime too costs equally.
So, price too being close, what should I choose? Please help!
Stuff from Jessops will eb with B&W. Not grey.
Old 22nd December 2008, 17:09   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Stuff from Jessops will eb with B&W. Not grey.
Well, that's a great deal then.
But what I meant was if it were available in grey market here, it would be 29K .Because usually in grey market, prices are matched to current price abroad.
I wish D80 is available in our grey markets too( b&w price would be too steep).
Old 22nd December 2008, 17:15   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I started matching my requirements from nikon d40 onwards.
Though a good camera on its own, lack of bracketing and autofocus on 50 mm prime is holding me back from it. Otherwise I love it.
Just a thought, but if you really like the D40 then rather than spending on a higher-end body you can spend the extra cash on the new Nikkor 50mm f1.4 AF-S. That way you get the body you love, a very fast prime and autofocussing.
To me bracketing was useful in the days of film when you couldn't immediately see the outcome. I've never used bracketing on a digital SLR.

Last edited by StarScream : 22nd December 2008 at 17:17. Reason: Addition
Old 22nd December 2008, 19:05   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Just a thought, but if you really like the D40 then rather than spending on a higher-end body you can spend the extra cash on the new Nikkor 50mm f1.4 AF-S. That way you get the body you love, a very fast prime and autofocussing.
To me bracketing was useful in the days of film when you couldn't immediately see the outcome. I've never used bracketing on a digital SLR.
I didn't bother to search for AF-S prime but now that I knew of it,I may rethink about D40. But wait! this AF-S prime costs as much as D40 Kit itself. A very good lens indeed,but if I could spend that much I would have gone for D80 with VR lenses.
The vitamin 'M' limits me upto 30k max .
Old 22nd December 2008, 19:34   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I didn't bother to search for AF-S prime but now that I knew of it,I may rethink about D40. But wait! this AF-S prime costs as much as D40 Kit itself. A very good lens indeed,but if I could spend that much I would have gone for D80 with VR lenses.
The vitamin 'M' limits me upto 30k max .
What is the price difference between the D40 and D80? My point was you can pocket the difference and later buy the prime. It is true however, that a D80 kit, with a regular AF 50mm/1.8 will cost less than a D40 kit with the AF-S 50mm lens.

Last edited by StarScream : 22nd December 2008 at 19:43.
Old 22nd December 2008, 20:48   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
My point was you can pocket the difference and later buy the prime.
a few months down the line ,will the AF-S prime price settle down considerably? As it is said that lens don't have depreciation, I wonder if that price correction would happen.
Old 22nd December 2008, 20:59   #265
Team-BHP Support

The price of the body comes down drastically these days. I bought E-3 for $1700 and now it retails for $1200. That's $500 drop in 8 months.
Old 23rd December 2008, 09:49   #266
BHPian

A little OT, but a query to the Pro.

What does this mean "taken with 1-stop GND + Sunset filter"? What I understand is "taken with 1 stop gradient + sunset filter" ? Is it really that way? How many stops can a gradient filter have?

Oh, by the way, I found this statement on someone's flickr who shot Windows Vista Wallpapers. Amazing Photographer, he is.

S!lk on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Interview with Hamad Darwish, Flickr photographer shooting Vista wallpapers - istartedsomething
Old 23rd December 2008, 10:18   #267
Senior - BHPian

D80 is very much availalble in the grey market and in abundance...

Quote:
Well, that's a great deal then.
But what I meant was if it were available in grey market here, it would be 29K .Because usually in grey market, prices are matched to current price abroad.
I wish D80 is available in our grey markets too( b&w price would be too steep).
Old 23rd December 2008, 11:04   #268
BHPian

@given2fly: "What does this mean "taken with 1-stop GND + Sunset filter?"

Hope this explains.

Neutral density filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A good ND filter group on Flickr, with some good examples. People often give details of the filter used, so you can get an idea of what people are using for the types of photograph.

Flickr: Neutral Density Filters

Using Graduated Neutral Density Filters
Focus on Singh-Ray Filters: <font size="-1">From the Archive:</font><BR> Using Graduated Neutral Density Filters <br>by John Shaw
Old 23rd December 2008, 17:00   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
a few months down the line ,will the AF-S prime price settle down considerably? As it is said that lens don't have depreciation, I wonder if that price correction would happen.
Im afraid, not substantially. I would expect it to drop a little from the list $440 price and sell at about $400 a year or so from now. It is a hefty premium for a lens that doesn't do very much more than the existing, regular AF 50mm/1.4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
What does this mean "taken with 1-stop GND + Sunset filter"? What I understand is "taken with 1 stop gradient + sunset filter" ? Is it really that way? How many stops can a gradient filter have?
GND - is a graduated neutral density filter.
Neutral density filters reduce the amount of light reaching the sensor/film across the entire image. A graduated ND filter cuts the light only partially - over a part of the image.
ND filters are used for very bright scenes. A GND filter is used mostly for landscape photos where you have a bright sky and a relatively dark foreground. In a scene like this there could be a 2-3 stop (perhaps more) difference between the sky and the rest of the image. A GND filter helps cut the light from the sky, bringing its exposure value in line with the rest of the picture. This helps bring out color and detail in the bright part of the image, which otherwise would have been washed out.
Usually GND filters work best with filter systems by Cokin etc. that use a holder because that way a photographer can move and turn the filter to suit his composition.

Last edited by StarScream : 23rd December 2008 at 17:17.
Old 24th December 2008, 02:41   #270
BHPian

about mirror lockup

almost all canons support mirror lockup while in nikon ,it starts from d200 and up. How useful/necessary is this feature? Without it will exposures >1sec cause any visible blurring?

Last edited by deetee : 24th December 2008 at 02:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks