Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2010, 18:24   #4321
BHPian

I recently bought the 55-250 IS lense. Can anyone tell me about how to confirm if the IS is working or not? I have doubt on my lense's IS.
Old 25th June 2010, 18:34   #4322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
I recently bought the 55-250 IS lense. Can anyone tell me about how to confirm if the IS is working or not? I have doubt on my lense's IS.
I am no expert but think this would do.
Take 2 shots with the same setting (use a slow shutter speed), one with IS on and one with IS off. Don't use a tripod. Compare the difference in the computer screen and not LCD. Let us know if this works or not.
You might even post the results here and ask for the pros to have a look if you are not able to make out any difference.

- Jag
Old 25th June 2010, 18:35   #4323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is absolutely nonsence not to have AF. I have clicked around 100s of photo of my recent trip to Italy with manual focus, to save the battery because I was running out of battery and it was all blured even with tripod.
What AF has to do with tripod , Tripod can help you in case of shake for long focal length but does not help in any way for focusing. Without AF you either need a body with focusing screen ( Not there in DSLR I have seen) or trust your eyes on what you see inside view finder.
Old 25th June 2010, 18:55   #4324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is absolutely nonsence not to have AF. I have clicked around 100s of photo of my recent trip to Italy with manual focus, to save the battery because I was running out of battery and it was all blured even with tripod.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
What AF has to do with tripod , Tripod can help you in case of shake for long focal length but does not help in any way for focusing.
I guess he got confused with VR!!!

Quote:
Without AF you either need a body with focusing screen ( Not there in DSLR I have seen) or trust your eyes on what you see inside view finder.
There are aftermarket split-screen arrangement for MF lens on DSLRs (and you can kiss good bye to your warranty!!). I did read about some issues with after market split screen though. Research around.

Slightly OT: with the EVIL cameras manual focusing is a delight especially if you have a smc takumar f1.4!!!
Old 25th June 2010, 19:31   #4325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
I have a D60 and would like add Nikon 50mm 1.8 prime. Neither D60 nor AF 50 mm 1.8D has AF motor hence thinking if to buy or not! There is 35mm 1.4 AF-S for approx 14K INR
D60 needs an AF-S lens for every kind of shooting except Macros. Any lens without the AF-S function will give you 50/50 chances for a clear shot. I use manual focusing only when I try real Macros or a tricky situation like shooting through a fence or metal mesh (shooting in a zoo etc.), or when experimenting with lighting in a created set-up (products or things that do not move).

Did you actually mean 35mm 1.4 ? Because thats an old lens from Nikon which should be very cheap to get now. If you meant 35 mm 1.8, then you are right, its selling for 14k or close. Someone is selling it for 11k in BPC buy and sell section. Check it out. I own one, its a lovely lens, once you see the quality of this, you might keep it always on the camera. Its also a very sharp lens for low light, walk-around etc. Remember you get the actual 50mm+ through a 35mm lens on a DX camera. And 50mm lens gives you 70mm+ in the same way. Hope you know the cropped sensor effect.

The VR/IS feature on a lens does not help much for lenses that are 70mm or less specially if its a fixed aperture like the 35mm 1.8 or a sigma 18-50 f/2.8. Its just a mental satisfaction or confidence that shots will come out sharp since the VR feature is there, but in reality sharp pictures are produced by bit of practise. How many prime lenses have got the VR feature ? The 35mm 1.8 does not have any VR. My Sigma 18-50 2.8 and Tamron 90mm do not have VR functions but I get sharp pictures.

I got my Benro BH-0 ball head. The Speed Post service is a typical lazy, 'i dont care' kind of set up. My Mumbai seller deals with only speed post since many years, so I had no choice but to agree to that. I came to realise the pack had reached my area Post Office at 7.20am today through tracking. I waited until 4pm, no call, no sign of anyone delivering. Finally I called up, the area Post Man agreed that its in his shelf from the morning. But the lazy bum was thinking of delivering it on Monday (another 50+ hours !!!). I said 'no way'. Having left with no choice, I had to drive 7 kms and pick it up myself. Thats the service you get after paying up 250 for shipping ! I did it today so that my weekend is not ruined without the ball head.

Note: If there is any mistake typed above related to lenses, its open to correction.
Old 26th June 2010, 00:37   #4326
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Decided on Canon 1000D + kit lens 18-55 + Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Lens + Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + Tripod + 8gb card + bag.
Change of story-

Did a lot of thinking past three days, extended my budget a bit more (stretching max i can) & keeping in mind that this would be long term relationship- i am now looking to get a different configuration-

Canon 550D + Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Lens (Nifty-fifty) + Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS (Nifty-two-fifty).

Purposefully left out the 18-55IS as i cant afford it and it should come in at a later stage when i can. I took a good look at my gallery as well, and i havent really taken landscapes anyway! Both the nifty- fifty and nifty-two-fifty lenses have a reputation to be incredible value for the price paid as well.

And the 550D with its basics shared from the bigger brother 7D should form a good basis for future upgrades as well.

Is this right thinking guys?

Quote:
Guys,

Can anyone please get me the grey market prices for Canon 550D + Canon 50mm f/1.8 II + Canon 55- 250 IS in bangalore?
Bangalore guys, please- Can someone get me this info? I really need to know if i will be able to afford this kit.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th June 2010 at 00:38.
Old 26th June 2010, 05:52   #4327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore guys, please- Can someone get me this info? I really need to know if i will be able to afford this kit.
When you say grey market, I assume you are purchasing without bill and warranty.

The best prices are often offered by Jayesh of Foto Circle. His phone number is mentioned in this thread earlier by shajufx. You could send an SMS to Jayesh and will surely get a reply within in a day.

BTW, I will mostly be going to Jayesh today/tomorrow to get D90. Let me see if I can get the lens prices in person. I have sent an SMS to him.

Last edited by sbraj : 26th June 2010 at 06:03.
Old 26th June 2010, 08:27   #4328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
When you say grey market, I assume you are purchasing without bill and warranty.

The best prices are often offered by Jayesh of Foto Circle. His phone number is mentioned in this thread earlier by shajufx. You could send an SMS to Jayesh and will surely get a reply within in a day.

BTW, I will mostly be going to Jayesh today/tomorrow to get D90. Let me see if I can get the lens prices in person. I have sent an SMS to him.
Thanks Raj.

I had sms'ed Jayesh. Problem is- he replies back with only the B&W prices. I understand it may be because its an unknown number? (I have bought two-three stuff from him, but he wont be having my number.)

Congrats on your D90. Its an amazing equipment for the asking price now. Would be great if you could get me the price in person tomorrow.

What are the lenses you plan to have with the D90? Any budget zoom options in Nikkor range like the Canon 15-250 IS (70-300 doesn't appear as good? Looks like competition for Sigma 70-300). D90 is the 2nd option i have in mind, and the only thing that pulled me back is lack of zoom options in the budget range.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th June 2010 at 08:31.
Old 26th June 2010, 10:05   #4329
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Can anyone please get me the grey market prices for Canon 550D + Canon 50mm f/1.8 II + Canon 55- 250 IS in bangalore?

I have tried getting the same. But i am only told the BW price (Probably because its over phone!). It would be great if anyone who knows him well can get this price without BW?

Thanks in advance.
I took the canon 55-250 is lens from jayesh about three weeks ago. it costed me 10800/-INR with bill. don,t know about the rest.
Old 26th June 2010, 11:44   #4330
BHPian

Confirm AF working

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
What AF has to do with tripod , Tripod can help you in case of shake for long focal length but does not help in any way for focusing. Without AF you either need a body with focusing screen ( Not there in DSLR I have seen) or trust your eyes on what you see inside view finder.
I means manual focusing a long object with tripod is easier than handheld.

Quote:
I got how to check if the autofocus is working or not. Its very simple, turn off the AF button, look into viewfinder, focus the camera to any sharp/small image, you will feel like your hand is shaking, now turn on the AF, press the focus button(shutter button half way), imidiatly you will feel like your hand shaking is stopped. The image you are looking from viewfinder will stop shaking.
Old 26th June 2010, 12:38   #4331

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
People,

How necessary it is to have AF motor in lens or body? I have a D60 and would like add Nikon 50mm 1.8 prime. Neither D60 nor AF 50 mm 1.8D has AF motor hence thinking if to buy or not! There is 35mm 1.4 AF-S for approx 14K INR, that’s quite expensive for me

Anyone using this Manual focus lens ever found an absolute need for Auto focus? Can we easily focus with this manual lens
or it requires lot of practice to master the manual focus!
Slimmer DOF, harder it will to nail focus 100%

There is no Nikon 35mm f1.4 AFS. Nikon currently only has 35mm f1.4 AI-s, 35mm f2D, 35mm f1.8G AFS DX.

There is no point buying 35mm f1.4 AI-s since its nogood till f2 anyhow. Better to get 35mm f2D for FX or 35mm f1.8G AFS DX for DX.
Old 26th June 2010, 12:51   #4332
BHPian

Guys i have a canon 1000D with 18-55 (non IS). I am not satisfies with the zoom since it does not zoom much. I am looking to shoot cricketers in action (league teams in vizag) from pavilion. I am zeroing in for a 70 -300 IS lens. The only glitch is that i don`t get a wide angle with this lens and then i have to change to my 18-55 lens. what do you guys suggest?

Shall i go ahead with this or is there a better lens with should be ideal for this application?
Old 26th June 2010, 13:34   #4333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had sms'ed Jayesh. Problem is- he replies back with only the B&W prices. I understand it may be because its an unknown number? (I have bought two-three stuff from him, but he wont be having my number.)
Not sure whether Jayesh gives grey market prices over SMS. Here is the reply I got.

Me : 550D body, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon 55-250 IS price? Without bill, warranty? With bill, warranty?
Jayesh : 39+, 4800, 10+ with wnty only.

Quote:
Would be great if you could get me the price in person tomorrow.
I went to his shop this morning, parked car in front of his shop only to realize that it opens by around 12 -12:30. Had to come back. Mostly will go there again this evening or tomorrow.

Quote:
What are the lenses you plan to have with the D90?
I am just taking Nikon 18-105mm. Might pick up 70-300 later. Right now priority is to get used to the DSLR.
Old 26th June 2010, 15:17   #4334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I means manual focusing a long object with tripod is easier than handheld.

I got how to check if the autofocus is working or not. Its very simple, turn off the AF button, look into viewfinder, focus the camera to any sharp/small image, you will feel like your hand is shaking, now turn on the AF, press the focus button(shutter button half way), imidiatly you will feel like your hand shaking is stopped. The image you are looking from viewfinder will stop shaking.
Looks like you are confused
IS stands for Image Stabilization
AF stands for Auto Focus and has nothing to do with shake
Old 26th June 2010, 16:08   #4335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
I went to his shop this morning, parked car in front of his shop only to realize that it opens by around 12 -12:30. Had to come back. Mostly will go there again this evening or tomorrow.
I still have no clue about how to take the car to his shop. Therefore I always take a rick from the Majestic bus stand area and it goes through roads that has correct space for a rick. Even Jayesh himself comes to the shop in a Honda Activa. That area is like a mad place. He opens around 12 almost everyday I think, always better to call him before going, sometimes he opens even later if he has to go to a bank or do something else personal.

As of today, I dont know anybody else in the whole of Bangalore city who gives a better and trustable deal than what Jayesh gives.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks