Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2007, 12:25   #46
Team-BHP Support

Buy any of the leading brands, but make sure you have the following abilities
1. Div X
2. mp3 playback
3. Component out.
Component out is really nice. I watched a divX video on 32" LCD with simple video out and component out, the difference is noticeable.
Indian brands are good, because you do not have to do with region encoding nonsense.
Once an Auto mag came with a DVD which had region code for russia, and I had to bake poppadoms with my philips. Thanks to technocrat for timely help.
Old 13th November 2007, 14:33   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Hi Elito,

I think the biggest difference is that one of those two can record lol.
Funny eh!

P.S. - i read up, so its clear now!

Elito
Old 13th November 2007, 14:35   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
1. Div X
2. mp3 playback
3. Component out.
Component out is really nice. I watched a divX video on 32" LCD with simple video out and component out, the difference is noticeable.
Indian brands are good, because you do not have to do with region encoding nonsense.
Once an Auto mag came with a DVD which had region code for russia, and I had to bake poppadoms with my philips. Thanks to technocrat for timely help.
Thanks! I have finalised Sony. Will be buying by the weekend. Will update then!

Elito
Old 13th November 2007, 14:37   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
1. Div X
2. mp3 playback
3. Component out.

Also a digital out, preferably Optical. Minimum is a co-axial out. If you plan to get a full scale AV receiver it makes sense to have a digital out.

Even if your dvd player has only Dolby, the receiver can decode the digital audio out to either Dolby or DTS. This is provided your DVD has both audio formats in it.
Old 13th November 2007, 14:40   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Also a digital out, preferably Optical. Minimum is a co-axial out. If you plan to get a full scale AV receiver it makes sense to have a digital out.

Even if your dvd player has only Dolby, the receiver can decode the digital audio out to either Dolby or DTS. This is provided your DVD has both audio formats in it.
Thanks csentil! Although i knew this . Co-axial is usually good enuff

Elito
Old 13th November 2007, 14:54   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually i much prefer coaxial over optical. But that is a different debate.
Old 13th November 2007, 15:22   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Thanks! I have finalised Sony. Will be buying by the weekend. Will update then!

Elito
Be careful with Sony DVD players - they don't play scratched discs well. We have a couple sony DVD players in our family and all of them create a problem with DVDs hired from libraries. That's why I went for a Philips recently ... it plays everything you throw at it, like a charm!!

The Philips player also has a direct USB port and plays Divx movies. Nowadays I don't bother with DVDs most of the time... just load movies on a pen drive and delete them after watching. Don't remember the exact model number but I got it for about 3K.

EDIT: Found my model on the Philips website

Last edited by Wimwian : 13th November 2007 at 15:37.
Old 13th November 2007, 15:50   #53
Team-BHP Support

Agree with the above post. Sony also comes with additional headache of region access etc., and may be difficult to unlock.
Old 13th November 2007, 15:58   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimwian View Post
Be careful with Sony DVD players - they don't play scratched discs well. We have a couple sony DVD players in our family and all of them create a problem with DVDs hired from libraries. That's why I went for a Philips recently ... it plays everything you throw at it, like a charm!!

The Philips player also has a direct USB port and plays Divx movies. Nowadays I don't bother with DVDs most of the time... just load movies on a pen drive and delete them after watching. Don't remember the exact model number but I got it for about 3K.

EDIT: Found my model on the Philips website
Dayyyyyyyyyyyyyum!

Just when i finalise something...new issues are brought to my notice. My eyes are paining!!, my back hurts, i have been pouring over google for over wo weeks now for a pair of speakers, a LCD monitor and a DVD player!!
Nahiiiii

Elito!
Old 13th November 2007, 16:06   #55
BHPian

BTW - The Sony's being sold in India are region free.

A few pointers i uncoved during my research

- Sony, Toshiba and Philips among the best branded. i.e. apart from specility players like Denon.
- Philips has a bad reputation of conking off or developing wierd issues anytime. But when they are working..they work like a dream.
- More imporatnt than HDMI etc are connectivity options. Double check this!. Digital out, mutlichannel support, 12/24 bit audio etc!
- There is really no point in going for a HDMi upscaling (relatively/subjectively speaking)etc - By 2009, we would anyway need a bluray/HDDVD compatible one.

@ India - Buy a Sony/Philips, make sure u get your warranty..and have fun!

Elito
Old 14th November 2007, 10:28   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Dayyyyyyyyyyyyyum!

Just when i finalise something...new issues are brought to my notice. My eyes are paining!!, my back hurts, i have been pouring over google for over wo weeks now for a pair of speakers, a LCD monitor and a DVD player!!
Nahiiiii

Elito!
I recently went shopping for a dvd player for my parents. I own a Philips DVP642.
I carried:
1) DVD (pirated) from local library that stoped playing after certain point.
2) DVD (original) from USA
3) VCD I had burnt using Nero in my comp
4) A mp3 cd that had some issues on my dvp642

Philips played 2,3,4. Samsung had problems with 4. Sony showroom refused to play my cds! The sales person in Shubam said Sony has problems with its dvd players.
Old 14th November 2007, 10:56   #57
Senior - BHPian

Samsung has a Hype something range starting from 4999. It has 14 bit Video DAC. Any idea about this one?
Old 14th November 2007, 11:08   #58
BHPian

OT:

Does anyone know how to play MPEG files on my Daewoo DVD S151 DVD player. Bought it from US six years back. Would like to have help from you .

Thanks for your help
Old 14th November 2007, 11:08   #59
BHPian

If your budget can stretch to 20 K, look at Onkyo DV SP 504 / 502 , more so if you are planning to build a DVD audio / SACD collection in future.

ONKYO SIGHT & SOUND INDIA
Old 14th November 2007, 11:11   #60
Senior - BHPian

For most branded Dvd players the region code can be overcome to make it regionfree, PM me with the model details if stuck, will try to help out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks