Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2007, 13:24   #91
Senior - BHPian

But if you have a say 32inch LCD only then there is no point of getting 1080p res. as the native resolution of the TV itself will be 720p.And for my needs 32 inch is more then enough.If you have a true HD TV then only 1080p makes sense.Am I right here ?

So the hang problem is a common problem for 870, is there any remedy ? Yes the remote is really bad, I also hate it actually.
Old 27th December 2007, 14:20   #92
BHPian

To update go for Philips if you just want to play DVD's and other formats.USB is added advantage in some model if u love downloading and watching from drive.
Marantz and Denon/Onkyo players are for enthusiast who owns a receiver and proper HTS.Don't shed money on such players if you are not !.
Old 27th December 2007, 15:20   #93
BHPian

@manziee,

I thought the USB worked only for mp3s? I remember the manual mentioned something about long delays for large files playback and also that USB HDDs were not supported, have you tried playing a movie thru the USB HDD directly ?
Old 27th December 2007, 16:30   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
@manziee,

I thought the USB worked only for mp3s? I remember the manual mentioned something about long delays for large files playback and also that USB HDDs were not supported, have you tried playing a movie thru the USB HDD directly ?
It need not be CSS DVD content, but could be Windows Media, QT, Real, H.264 etc.. All these will work off a USB storage device.
Old 27th December 2007, 16:31   #95
BHPian

Format ur disk inFAT.Then it works
Old 27th December 2007, 16:35   #96
BHPian

[quote=kaushik_s;668902]But if you have a say 32inch LCD only then there is no point of getting 1080p res. as the native resolution of the TV itself will be 720p.And for my needs 32 inch is more then enough.If you have a true HD TV then only 1080p makes sense.Am I right here ?

/QUOTE]
Most if not all TV's that support 1080p start at 40". The ultimate HD quality (currently) is 1080p. To experience that you do need content that is encoded well to that resolution. If you are not going to watch true HD content/source then dont bother. if your only source is upscaling of SD content, dont bother wasting money on 1080p. BluRay and HD-DVD's besides other forms of encoded 1080p content will make the investment worthwhile. Dont buy it to watch a demo DVD
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif
Talking
Old 27th December 2007, 16:39   #97
BHPian

That is true Rangaraj.True HD is some more way to go in terms of reality (cost and availablity).Most of us watch cable 75% of time.So it is logical to save you pocket and watch for technology
Old 27th December 2007, 18:52   #98
Senior - BHPian

If you guys want a player with excellent build quality always go for a Pioneer. I have had a Pioneer 636 for about 7 years and it still is the daddy. I have had a few bedroom DVD players including cheapo chinese ones, toshiba, philips and a panasonic. Only the panasonic comes close to the Pioneer in terms of build quality. The Toshiba was one of the worst players I have had.

If available in India I would go for the Pioneer DV-400V-K or the silver DV-400V-S.
Old 31st December 2007, 11:38   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Is it region locked ? But seems like it's playing all my DVD's. be it the original ones or pirated one's..
There is one issue I found that the player just hangs if I put it in the pause mode for a long time(say around 10-15 min). Is it a one off problem with my player only ? None of the buttons work and I have to restart the player.Not sure what the problem is.
Another thing I found that (compared to my Sony DVD player) is that pictures are bit sharper and color is more livelier in the Samsung.
Wondering how these guys are releasing consumer products with these flaws. Keeping the system in pause mode for quite sometime is regular user scenario, wouldn't they have tested this?

Philips DVP plays screen saver if left in idle (pause or so) for sometime, so no issues of hanging. Also remote control has no issues.
Old 1st January 2008, 23:17   #100
BHPian

For Sale Bangalore - Brand New
Samsung DVD Player model DVD-HD1080P7

Included HDMI Cable, This new model player has upscaling upto 1080p
Product Reviews are available here
Samsung Electronics Reviews - DVD-HD1080P7 DVD Player - DVD1080P7

Reason for Sale.
I had an old Sony DVD player which did not have an HDMI out nor upscaling. So bought the Samsung model. Unfortunately I see no difference in the output when connected to a 40" LCD.

If you are planning to buy a new DVD player, I will give you a good discount with Bill, + Original packing. Just used once to test all the features.
Old 2nd January 2008, 00:24   #101
BHPian

If you are planning to buy a dvd player then i would recommend sony.if you are not money minded person then go for blue ray the advanced technology i just watched some clips in 46" sony bravia played buy sony blue ray player it was awasom realistic and i am planning to buy it.
Old 2nd January 2008, 09:02   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
For Sale Bangalore - Brand New
Samsung DVD Player model DVD-HD1080P7

Included HDMI Cable, This new model player has upscaling upto 1080p
Product Reviews are available here
Samsung Electronics Reviews - DVD-HD1080P7 DVD Player - DVD1080P7

Reason for Sale.
I had an old Sony DVD player which did not have an HDMI out nor upscaling. So bought the Samsung model. Unfortunately I see no difference in the output when connected to a 40" LCD.

If you are planning to buy a new DVD player, I will give you a good discount with Bill, + Original packing. Just used once to test all the features.
Whats the price for this model with HDMI cable included?
I went hunting for a HDMI cable, got battered and bruised. Sony were selling for 2,500 (dunno the length, it was not in stock), finally bought a Panasonic one for 1500 (1.5m).
Old 2nd January 2008, 12:49   #103
BHPian

I have a lot of content in HD format (mkv files) on my PC. Is is possible for me to play them in a normal DVD player to watch them on my 37" LCD TV? (It didnt when I tried..) Or does a dvd player with USB port helps me to play it through a pen drive?

PS. I am not looking for a file convertion option. I know that can be done.

Last edited by appuchan : 2nd January 2008 at 12:53.
Old 2nd January 2008, 13:34   #104
BHPian

Samsung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Whats the price for this model with HDMI cable included?
I went hunting for a HDMI cable, got battered and bruised. Sony were selling for 2,500 (dunno the length, it was not in stock), finally bought a Panasonic one for 1500 (1.5m).
I have purchased it on 01-Jan-2008, After his discount with Bill for Rs 5,750/- from a Samsung Authorized dealer.
Includes 1 HDMI Cable, 1 set AV cables, Remote , Batteries , Manuals.

Sale Price Rs 4,750/-

You can call me at 98861 08697 if interested.
Old 2nd January 2008, 14:36   #105
BHPian

I bought a HDMI cable (1mt) from Apple when i bought my Apple TV ($25). I dont think it is available with the apple stores in India, but good idea to get friends/relatives to buy a couple for you..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks