Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2007, 21:50   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
Hi Guys,

DVP3166/94 looks better than DVP5150, any inputs?
They were both at 3.2K at NeXt. I too faced that choice. Its ultimately a choice of USB or 24 bit DAC.

At 3k there is hardly a diffrence in performance!!

Elito
Old 5th December 2007, 10:30   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
Yesterday I just tried few dual layer DVDs and 5150 played them !! I didn't remember if manual mentioned anything about dual layer DVDs. I was happy with this purchase since I forgot to check if it supports dual layer while buying.
Why? Do DVD players have issues playing Dual Layers?

Anyways, after you have bought a good dvd player and if you have a LCD tv......... pls get urself original dvds. I had bought a Indiana Jones 3 in one disc in National market, print was not bad. I could hardly tell the difference on a 21" CRT. But when i played it on the LCD, you can really notice the difference.
Old 5th December 2007, 14:24   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
UPDATE: Got the DVP5150. Price - 3.2K, from NExt at Lajpat Nagar

Elito
Can you give me the Tel No. of the Next Store? I am unable to find it.

Thanks
Old 5th December 2007, 17:55   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
UPDATE: Got the DVP5150. Price - 3.2K, from NExt at Lajpat Nagar

Elito
Spoke to Next people at Lajpat Nagar & Noida, they are quoting 3500 and refuse to believe that they sold 5150 for 3200....

Elito ... could you help..it's not that I want to save 300/- but if they sold it for 3200, I don't want to pay 3500 for the same thing.
Old 6th December 2007, 15:08   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Why? Do DVD players have issues playing Dual Layers?

Anyways, after you have bought a good dvd player and if you have a LCD tv......... pls get urself original dvds. I had bought a Indiana Jones 3 in one disc in National market, print was not bad. I could hardly tell the difference on a 21" CRT. But when i played it on the LCD, you can really notice the difference.
I don't think all players can play dual layer discs, it's not a feature by default IMHO.

Yes, I just bought few DVDs in roadside shops sometime back, but nowadays I am buying only branded ones.
Old 6th December 2007, 19:30   #81
Senior - BHPian

Bought Samsung HD 870 for 5k.Picture quality is good(using normal RCA o/p). But this player is a HD ready player which upscales to 768p and 1080i(but that's available only through the HDMI conn) Will know about the HD picture quality once I get my LCD. But one grouch I have is the remote control which is not very responsive.
Otherwise I think it's a good value for money considering the price.
Old 7th December 2007, 08:33   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Bought Samsung HD 870 for 5k.Picture quality is good(using normal RCA o/p). But this player is a HD ready player which upscales to 768p and 1080i(but that's available only through the HDMI conn) Will know about the HD picture quality once I get my LCD. But one grouch I have is the remote control which is not very responsive.
Otherwise I think it's a good value for money considering the price.
I wish I had bought that, has been reviewed and rated good. We ended up buying a LCD after seeing the HD being played on it.

Yea, remotes are pretty unresponsive. But recently tested a stereo reciever, the remote works from any position. It was an Onkyo, remote was so good.
Old 26th December 2007, 12:45   #83
Senior - BHPian

Got the Samsung HD 870. Pretty accomplished for the price. It was region 5 locked. Hacked it and its playing perfectly now. Have connected it via the HDMI cable. Wicked!
Old 26th December 2007, 15:12   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
Got the Samsung HD 870. Pretty accomplished for the price. It was region 5 locked. Hacked it and its playing perfectly now. Have connected it via the HDMI cable. Wicked!
Is it region locked ? But seems like it's playing all my DVD's. be it the original ones or pirated one's..
There is one issue I found that the player just hangs if I put it in the pause mode for a long time(say around 10-15 min). Is it a one off problem with my player only ? None of the buttons work and I have to restart the player.Not sure what the problem is.
Another thing I found that (compared to my Sony DVD player) is that pictures are bit sharper and color is more livelier in the Samsung.
Old 26th December 2007, 15:57   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it region locked ? But seems like it's playing all my DVD's. be it the original ones or pirated one's..
There is one issue I found that the player just hangs if I put it in the pause mode for a long time(say around 10-15 min). Is it a one off problem with my player only ? None of the buttons work and I have to restart the player.Not sure what the problem is.
Another thing I found that (compared to my Sony DVD player) is that pictures are bit sharper and color is more livelier in the Samsung.
Mine was locked.
Wrt the "hanging" its same for all 870s. Its written in the manual somewhere.
I was using a few years old Pio DVD player. The 870 sure gives a better picture.
Only bad bit is the remote. The buttons are devoid of any feel..
Old 26th December 2007, 16:03   #86
BHPian

Quote:
But this player is a HD ready player which upscales to 768p and 1080i(but that's available only through the HDMI conn)
Usually the source upscaling is usually to 720p and the LCD panel upscales it to 768p. Does the documentation mention upscaling it to 768p? For those who have invested in a 1080p capable panel, a version that handles this resolution is around Rs.1000 more..

SAMSUNG's Digital World - DVD Player | Technical Info

Last edited by rangaraj : 26th December 2007 at 16:07.
Old 26th December 2007, 17:53   #87
BHPian

Phillips MVP3166, plays everything you throw at it, the salesman played a DVD full of scratches and it worked just fine.

Have tried with couple of avis, xvids, divxs, mpgs and it plays them all without a hitch.
Old 26th December 2007, 18:44   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
Usually the source upscaling is usually to 720p and the LCD panel upscales it to 768p. Does the documentation mention upscaling it to 768p? For those who have invested in a 1080p capable panel, a version that handles this resolution is around Rs.1000 more..
hmmmm, not very sure, need to check the specs.May be I've misquoted it to be 768 instead of 720.
Old 26th December 2007, 19:11   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post

Tell me about it! The 1080i was not available here and I had to settle for the 780
Anyway, I already have a buyer lined up for a slightly used 780
Old 27th December 2007, 06:47   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
Tell me about it! The 1080i was not available here and I had to settle for the 780
Anyway, I already have a buyer lined up for a slightly used 780
There are enough folks out there who swear that 720p is better than 1080i. Progressive in my mind is better than the interlaced..1080p is of course considered the ultimate until you start seeing D-Cinema quality screens with 2K, 4K resolutions.. That of course is a long time away, though their are numerous startups working on revolutionary technology to create low cost green D-cinema quality displays..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks