Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2008, 14:48   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Why not SD? No moving parts.
Did you mean Flash Drives? Wouldnt they shoot up the cost way too much beyond 30k?
Old 1st April 2008, 14:54   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Why not SD? No moving parts.
Sounds good. Any suggestions on the models and prices ?
Old 1st April 2008, 15:17   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
This link should give you some insights. I have used it so many times to suggest models:
Camcorders - Independent Camcorder Reviews, Ratings & Comparisons
I would also recommend this website. I had researched on this a year before and bought pana nvgs500. Its a 3CCD - miniDV and the videos are amazing. You can transfer to PC easily with usb cable included in it.

First, go through sections mentioning differences between various medias/formats and then without changing the format go for the brand.

If you want quality miniDV it is. According to me it is not that hard to transfer videos to PC - it just takes time - same as it would take for you to view the video.
In case you want it to be quick, then HDD or DVD it is. But they suffer in quality. Also editing the videos is very difficult due to its format (mpeg) and requires better machines and costly softwares.

Anyways do go through the website and decide for yourself.

Last edited by alto99 : 1st April 2008 at 15:22.
Old 14th April 2008, 17:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Folks...i'm looking for HDD camcorder,planning to get through my cousin who is coming from abroad...kindly suggest one...
Old 14th April 2008, 20:53   #20
BHPian

my friend bought a JVC HDD model from Dubai a couple of months ago. It cost about Rs.17K
He got the model by searching through the above Camcoder info site. Dont know the exact model number, though.
Old 14th April 2008, 22:05   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Sounds good. Any suggestions on the models and prices ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
pana nvgs500. Its a 3CCD - miniDV and the videos are amazing.
If you want quality miniDV it is.
In case you want it to be quick, then HDD or DVD it is. But they suffer in quality. Also editing the videos is very difficult due to its format (mpeg) and requires better machines and costly softwares.
I was looking at the Panasonic SD5 (now replaced with the SD9), Canon HF10, Sony CX7, etc... but I am still not happy with their video quality (although they claim to be HD). I have only seen the video of the Sony CX7 (I assume the Canon and Pana wont be much diffferent). I was available for Rs. 44-49K a few months ago.
Old 14th April 2008, 23:26   #22
BHPian

Those looking not to spend much on camcorder can have a look at this canon TX1.It is basically a digicam but with ability to take high quality video.

It can take video at 1280x720@30fps and canon cameras are not bad at taking video.Their (esp. S3/S5)video quality is quite good though not as good as camcorders.JJmehta has it for 15500 and 18700 with 8GB SDHC card.
Old 15th April 2008, 12:14   #23
BHPian

I think the Canon one can capture only about 15 mins on the 8Gb card ( not sure if that is the same model you are referring to ).
It captures each frame as JPG so you can get a photo from any frame, but the length of time you can capture at 720p is small.
Old 19th April 2008, 11:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

Which Camcorder?

Hai,

Doing some analysis to buy a Handycam.

Two Sony Models look good @ 16 K in the grey market, with bill its 4-5 K more. The dealer is reliable, he says due to the holiday seasons he sells about 4-5 pieces EVERYDAY. He also says not to touch the Hard Disk ones, lots of complaints coming up probably because the Laser head is taking shocks on rough handling. Laser is acutally designed to "disangage" when sensing a drop or a shock, obviously its not happening.

DVD 610 and 710 usus a 8 m DVD rewritable disk, only you have to finalize the Shoot and then transfer to the laptop. Holds 1 hr of video, the disk, I think is about 1.4 gigs. It has a USB out & stabilizer (electronic). 610 has a .8 mm ccd and the 710 a 1.6 and hence costlier by 4-5 K. Also 610 is the fastest moving, has 40 X optical vs. 25 X on the 710.

Any suggestions or user experiences?

--Ramky
=======
Old 21st April 2008, 23:30   #25
BHPian

Sony is usually user friendly, but low on picture quality. That was the scene with MiniDV atleast. If anyone is planning to go for a HandyCam, prefer to pick up a Panasonic MiniDV handycam. If you have to go for a HDD/SD etc. based camcorders, go to camcorderinfo.com and get the reviews of your choice to make up your mind. These guys are the best in the business, just like DPreview.com for still cameras.
Old 13th June 2008, 11:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hi I am looking at a Camcorder for my parents. Will be getting it from the US. Budget would be somewhere close to INR 15K. I am looking at suggestions based on the following criteria.

1: HDD/DVD - Which one is easy to use ? MiniDV is ruled out because transferring them is a total pain.
2: Still camera - Should be able to take still pictures too.

Any suggestions folks ?
Old 17th June 2008, 10:47   #27
BANNED

Seems the question on this thread aint being answered the way most question sare answered to on TBHP .... can some guru come onboard and give advise on buying a handi cam in simple English and not by posting links to some other site !!

Cheers
Old 17th June 2008, 13:44   #28
BANNED

I think HD cam with hybrid of HDD and Tape is best option as a future proof cam, i am using mini DV from past 5 years and it works best for me even downloading it to PC is not tough just plug Firewire cable and use Uleasd Video Studio for downloading, editing and burning DVD's.
Mini DV tapes can be also used in HD cams as a Media without compromising the quality.
Old 17th June 2008, 23:55   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_j2084 View Post
hello

im planning to buy a digital camcorder within a budget of 30k.My priorities are quality of product,quality of video/photos taken and easy transfer to pc.

also which format would be the best..hard disk/mini dv/tape??

thanks.
Nothing beat Canon HV30 Camcorder in this price range, get it from US , it will cost you $700
Old 18th June 2008, 09:47   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvvinod View Post
Nothing beat Canon HV30 Camcorder in this price range, get it from US , it will cost you $700
Camcorder info rates this as the best beginners handycam.

Source :

Canon HV30 Camcorder Review - Canon HDV Camcorders

Quote:
Who It’s For

Point-and-Shooters
Once you familiarize yourself with all the greatness the HV30 has to offer, you’ll be screaming out of the starting gates. Beginners—better stick with a Sony.

Budget Consumers
Under a grand for a slightly revamped version of our Camcorder of the Year!? For the best in high definition, you can’t beat that.

Still Photo / Video Camera Hybrid
The still features abound on the HV30, but Sony offers more megapixels. It’s a draw.

Gadget Freaks
30P! Non-solarizing LCD screen! ALL BLACK! Camcorder geeks near and far will gather to revel on the Best Buy show floor.

Manual Control Freaks
The HV30 stocks the shooter with everything they need, and a bit more. With Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Exposure, Focus, and White Balance, you can go to town from a bevy of different angles. A focus ring would have been nice, though.

Pros / Serious Hobbyists
At the consumer level, you just can’t beat this image. Is it Spielberg’s next camera of choice? No, probably not. Could it stand up as B-roll for an indie flick? Hella yes.
The HDV series is an HDD based series. Right folks?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks