Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2010, 12:32   #76
Team-BHP Support

@Surd Biker:

Bad Boy Lost

Pics and Video clips from my Sony Handycam.
Old 14th May 2010, 10:07   #77
BHPian

Thanks bblost. Which model do you have? Actually the problem with sites like youtube is that they will essentially reencode your video to make it internet compatible. So inherently the quality gets compromised.

What I was actually looking for is raw video files which are copied direct from the camcorder e.g. MPG / MP4 / AVCHD etc files. Small 5-20mb files are enough for just getting an idea on the video quality from the cam.
Old 14th May 2010, 10:21   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I have a question for all those who have these new HD camcorders. Considering that uncompressed mindv grab from my old Canon ZR200 takes a huge amout of space on my hard disk how much space do you need to store say about a 20 minute grab from the internal camcorder HDD to your computer HDD? Also whats the mode of data transfer? Is it Firewire or HDMI or what? Also what kind of a PC configuration are you looking at to do some basic editing of these video files?
I have a Canon HF20. Its 25Mbps data rate. I have a 8GB card which can hold 40 minutes of video. The transfer of video does take some time, roughly more than 5 minutes for 40 minutes of video. I will try to tell you the exact time. I use USB2.0, haven't tried FireWire.
I am building a new computer with Corei5/750 to edit the videos. Normal computers without discrete graphics cant event play the videos without jerk.
Old 14th May 2010, 11:24   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I am building a new computer with Corei5/750 to edit the videos. Normal computers without discrete graphics cant event play the videos without jerk.
Thats the basic problem! In addition to the high cost of these HD camcorders you also have to spend a hell lot of money to buy a new high spec'ed comp in order to be able to edit/process all those videos. So that essentially means spending upto a lakh for both of these.

My question is it worthwhile spending on HD or is it better to buy a SD camcorder so that you save on buying a new comp? Plus you get lots of editing software already available.

Last edited by surd_biker : 14th May 2010 at 11:26.
Old 14th May 2010, 15:58   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have a Canon HF20. Its 25Mbps data rate. I have a 8GB card which can hold 40 minutes of video. The transfer of video does take some time, roughly more than 5 minutes for 40 minutes of video. I will try to tell you the exact time. I use USB2.0, haven't tried FireWire.
I ran into this thread rather late.

My wife has been using a Canon HF10 for about 2 years now. We rarely use the internal memory - just the SD card. All HD cameras that record on memory cards require fast memory cards - we find that Extreme III 8GB cards work best.

We use Ulead VideoStudio 11.5+ (you have to download some addons from Ulead's website) to convert the AVCHD (.m2ts) to HD DVD. Ulead is easier than Pinnacle Studio Plus 12 and requires less hardware than Sony's Vegas 8(we paid about $100 for each of these).

You also need good blank DVDs (I forget the brand but we get them in spindles of 100) to burn to. Our PC (we got about the time we got this camera) has 16GB or RAM but 8GB is actually more than enough, we were illerate and scared so we basically doubled up all recomendations for hardware so we got dual processors etc..yeah 2 of everything like 2 x 1TB hard disks..LOL...our PC cost us a small fortune (about 80K) but for us it was a once in a lifetime expenditure. I dont think we will never use all the power. Not in this lifetime.

You also need a Video board like a 4850. Dont ask me details my nehpew configured this. The video board also has some memory - I think 2GB.

It really aint all the difficult. Those who know me know I am not the most PC literate guy and my wife is actually PC phobic so if we can do this anyone can. We have made about 40 DVDs already. Cool huh?

BTW I just found a product called My Passport Essentials SE from Western Digital. It is about the size of an ipod (a little bigger) but it can store 1TB (I like this term Tera-byte; sounds really big, for someone who graduated from college before the PC was born and used computers having a few bytes of memory, mega-, giga- and tera- sounds really fun - wonder what they'll call 1024 Terabytes?) of data and connects via the USB socket so you can use it to carry your videos around or backup your videos.

Hope this helps. I know very little about videography / photography so if there is some thing incorrect in my post please excuse me.

Last edited by navin : 14th May 2010 at 16:04.
Old 3rd August 2010, 13:53   #81
BHPian

Need Urgent Help

Hello Friends,

I need to buy a camcoder for personal use only. I need your help to pick one from below mentioned models. All the models from CANON only.

This will be my first camcoder.My usage is normal video shooting in trips and some home functions etc. I am a dumb when it comes to camcoder. So easy to use is my first criteria.

Hope now a days all the models have PC connectivity.

Below are the models :- (ALL are from CANON)

DC 22 e
DC 420

FS 10
FS 100
FS 200
FS 21
FS 22

MD 120
MD 225

kindly do not suggest other then these models and other then CANON (some personal limitations are there).

Kindly help.. I will finalise the model till tomorrow EOD.
Old 3rd August 2010, 14:08   #82
Senior - BHPian

@navin, Nice to know. I got a hexa core processor based PC for editing the videos.

You get a HD TV, buy a HD camcorder, buy a high end PC for that, buy PS3 .... the list goes on...
Old 3rd August 2010, 18:40   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I ran into this thread rather late.

My wife has been using a Canon HF10 for about 2 years now. We rarely use the internal memory - just the SD card. All HD cameras that record on memory cards require fast memory cards - we find that Extreme III 8GB cards work best.

We use Ulead VideoStudio 11.5+ (you have to download some addons from Ulead's website) to convert the AVCHD (.m2ts) to HD DVD. Ulead is easier than Pinnacle Studio Plus 12 and requires less hardware than Sony's Vegas 8(we paid about $100 for each of these).

You also need good blank DVDs (I forget the brand but we get them in spindles of 100) to burn to. Our PC (we got about the time we got this camera) has 16GB or RAM but 8GB is actually more than enough, we were illerate and scared so we basically doubled up all recomendations for hardware so we got dual processors etc..yeah 2 of everything like 2 x 1TB hard disks..LOL...our PC cost us a small fortune (about 80K) but for us it was a once in a lifetime expenditure. I dont think we will never use all the power. Not in this lifetime.
I use the Sony SR11 and also use their own S/W. Currently since I dont have an HD player,
I just keep the source and convert AVCHD to MPEG to view them on a normal player.
SR11 performance has been good for (I am not an expert. Hence when I say good, take it in that sense )

Never felt the need to add an SD card. This one has a 60GB storage. Many times I use the same for still as well.
Old 3rd August 2010, 19:55   #84
BHPian

I use JVC Everio with 60GB recording capacity. Its very handy and captured HD video. An absolute pleasure i must say to capture videos. All the more special because i did not have to pay for it. It was gifted
Old 4th August 2010, 11:22   #85
BHPian

hi kalinga,

the products you have mentioned are all in different price range. You need to fix your budget. That will help you finalize your product
Old 4th August 2010, 11:48   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post
hi kalinga,

the products you have mentioned are all in different price range. You need to fix your budget. That will help you finalize your product
Hi dar3dev|l,

Yes, These models are in different price band.
But i am getting this with some different channel. So the price difference between these models are very nominal for my case.

From DVD and Flash memory media camcoder, which is better?

i have shortlisted the following 2 models :-

1) CANON DC 420
2) CANON FS 200

Can any one tell me which one is better??

For me DC 420 is slightly costlier then FS 200. And feature wise DC 420 have more feature.

But in FS 200 i can use memory card.

Kindly Help..............
Old 4th August 2010, 11:51   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
Hello Friends,

I need to buy a camcoder for personal use only. I need your help to pick one from below mentioned models. All the models from CANON only.

This will be my first camcoder.My usage is normal video shooting in trips and some home functions etc. I am a dumb when it comes to camcoder. So easy to use is my first criteria.

Hope now a days all the models have PC connectivity.

Below are the models :- (ALL are from CANON)

DC 22 e
DC 420

FS 10
FS 100
FS 200
FS 21
FS 22

MD 120
MD 225

kindly do not suggest other then these models and other then CANON (some personal limitations are there).

Kindly help.. I will finalise the model till tomorrow EOD.
Any reviews guys.........
Need to finalise one today only....
Old 4th August 2010, 15:21   #88
BHPian

Well use the one with the flash memory. One of my friend has the one where the cam has live DVD burning. The process many times corrupts the DVD and makes it unusable.

Btw all the ones mentioned doesnt have HD recording right ? Since this is your first purchase, i would recommend you buy one with HD recording with inbuild flash memory + MMC slot.

This should be helpful: http://www.camcorderinfo.com/d/Revie...h%20Memory.htm

Last edited by dar3dev|l : 4th August 2010 at 15:25.
Old 4th August 2010, 16:59   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I just keep the source and convert AVCHD to MPEG to view them on a normal player.
dont you loose resolution if you do this?

Quote:
@navin, Nice to know. I got a hexa core processor based PC for editing the videos...
talked to my nephew last night he said it is quad core and quad core is the minimum I needed. Now my wife is getting a quad core i7 PC too. Her video card is not as good but I dont she'll do much with it anyway. LOL. Shhhh....Dont tell her!

the trouble with being old and confused is that we tend to double up the hardware just in case. we are not conversant enough to readily open up our PCs to change stuff. If it is working we wont let anyone touch the hardware.

Last edited by navin : 4th August 2010 at 17:06.
Old 4th August 2010, 17:15   #90
Team-BHP Support

There are many "HD players" like Western digital WDTV which play AVCHD and AVCHD lite directly.
No need to convert. You just connect it to your TV via the HDMI cable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks