Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2018, 03:03   #46
BHPian

Re: OnePlus 6 Launch Day purchase experience at DLF Place, Saket

That's beyond belief. I still remember when the original Oneplus phone came out and we barely knew what it was and who was manufacturing it; but it offered such value for money that it was extremely hard to ignore. Now, fast forward to the present and roughly 5 generations later, it's come out with a new device and people still want to grab it as soon as possible maybe they are conditioned by those flash sales of earlier devices and fear the supply would run out or maybe they just want to experience the rush of a popup store.

But I wonder is this phone still worth it at its currents pricing? I strongly believe although it's a good device, it's kinda lost its value for money proposition. Now it's no longer a start up trying to offer good products at a fair price, it's turned into this big tech giant that wants to squeeze the maximum that it can..

The gap between Oneplus pricing and those of other flagship phones is reducing with every new variant. So maybe June of 2019 we will witness a new launch with another 5k bump in pricing and minimal upgrades and people would still queue up to buy it.

I can't seem to understand this phenomenon that seems to defy the basics of economics - When price goes up, the demand goes down. Atleast that's what I was taught all those years back. Maybe back then they didn't foresee the buying patterns of millennials ��

Last edited by Eddy : 28th May 2018 at 15:14. Reason: Spacing for better readability
Old 28th May 2018, 14:34   #47
BHPian

I bought the Oneplus One for around Rs. 20,000 when it came out and it was stellar! However they made each subsequent iteration more and more expensive now settling close to Rs. 40,000!

I have since then switched over to Xiaomi who makes rock star phones for around Rs. 15,000. I prefer switching phones every two years and the middle and budget ranges have not disappointed off late. Especially since Xiaomi phones are mod friendly and we can run the latest Android versions in the forms of custom Roms.

Life is great if you are an android phone fan and I can relate to the fans who queue for them.

P.S. I have an off topic disclaimer to make. I waited in the midnight sale to buy Pearl Jam's "No Code" album when I was in college.
Old 29th May 2018, 01:26   #48
BHPian

@Chrome6boy
What a coincidence, I have also switched to cheaper phones lately. I never thought I could use these on account of baseless fears like processor speed, reliability etc.

And surprise, surprise - not only these phones are easy on the pocket but they do deliver a very decent/commendable performance. So, it truly is a value for money deal especially for a user like me, who barely uses his phone for gaming purposes.

Thesedays you have so many brands to choose from that offer decent phones at very competitive prices. And amazingly enough I have about 150+ windows of chrome browser open in my phone and it refuses to show any signs of slowing down. Now, if a mid range phone can achieve that, why do we need to pay premium (60k onwards) for phones?
Old 29th May 2018, 01:34   #49
BHPian

All said and done the Dash Charging on the One Plus is the real winner. Rest everything is secondary. I use a 3T and many a times it's been a life saver. (I use AccuBattery to monitor battery health. Give it a shot). The only downside of all Android phones is the resale value. Nothing will ever beat the iPhone. Coming from someone who uses both devices as daily drivers.

The OP6 misses out on the ambient light display now. Always on would've been great and same for stereo speakers and IP67. The flip side of that is it still scores a healthy 5 out of 10 in iFixits repair ability scale, which is great news. You get some you lose some. Expect the notchy Pixel 3s soon.

Otherwise the One Plus is still a fab value. And the wireless buds are the ones to watch out for. More so because they get Dash Charging as well! Red colour would look dope on em.
Old 29th May 2018, 07:54   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
I prefer switching phones every two years and the middle and budget ranges have not disappointed off late.
You are right on target. I myself can't think of buying a new phone over 50K now [have wasted a lot of $$$] I was waiting for this, but am seriously beginning to consider buying an Honor X over this, IMHO, for my usage [I don't play games] even a Note 5 Pro is more than enough. Lets see...but not wasting money on phone from now on. Just my perspective
Old 29th May 2018, 08:24   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
All said and done the Dash Charging on the One Plus is the real winner. Rest everything is secondary. I use a 3T and many a times it's been a life saver. (I use AccuBattery to monitor battery health. Give it a shot). The only downside of all Android phones is the resale value. Nothing will ever beat the iPhone. Coming from someone who uses both devices as daily drivers.

The OP6 misses out on the ambient light display now. Always on would've been great and same for stereo speakers and IP67. The flip side of that is it still scores a healthy 5 out of 10 in iFixits repair ability scale, which is great news. You get some you lose some. Expect the notchy Pixel 3s soon.

Otherwise the One Plus is still a fab value. And the wireless buds are the ones to watch out for. More so because they get Dash Charging as well! Red colour would look dope on em.
If battery is the main reason for your choice, Asus Zenfone Max Pro has a 5000 mah battery with stock Android and a price tag of close to ₹10,000. You won't need a charger for a fraction of the cost of a OnePlus.
Old 31st May 2018, 02:11   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Any of these online?
Try Olx and give them a low offer then meet them and shave off another couple thousand!
Old 31st May 2018, 05:07   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Can you please elaborate on this topic?
I am not at all a big fan of DSLR cameras just hate to carry the apparatus but want to click some good quality pics from phone. Is this some kind of lens added in a phone.
BTW which is the best camera phone in day light and night, price no bar.
What they are referring to is a compact camera from Sony called the DSC-RX100. It has 4 versions I believe - from Mark I upto Mark IV. Atleast if memory serves me right. These come with 1" sensor and have the ability to take some great pics. Intact in some cases they can even do a better job than a similarly priced DSLR.

Naturally, all this good stuff comes at a price. They cost as much as some mid level DSLR's but offer portability and ease of use. I personally prefer smaller cameras over huge ones. So it kinda makes sense to buy these if you value those aspects as well. Now thesedays a lot of people would argue that phones have come a long way and their cameras do an excellent job. And honestly if you are an amateur/novice I don't think you would ever notice a difference in pics taken from a decent camera phone and the ones from compact 1 inch sensor cameras.

But on the other hand, if you really into photography, and want complete control over your shots, then these are a good option. Besides Sony, Canon also offers such cameras (G7x Mark I and II). So there is plenty of options for you to choose from.
Old 2nd June 2018, 15:26   #54
BHPian

Quote:
If battery is the main reason for your choice, Asus Zenfone Max Pro has a 5000 mah battery with stock Android and a price tag of close to ₹10,000. You won't need a charger for a fraction of the cost of a OnePlus.
Thanks mate. Just quoting the tech.
Old 8th June 2018, 12:53   #55
BHPian

Quote:
I bought the Oneplus One for around Rs. 20,000 when it came out and it was stellar! However they made each subsequent iteration more and more expensive now settling close to Rs. 40,000!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaver View Post
@Chrome6boy
What a coincidence, I have also switched to cheaper phones lately. I never thought I could use these on account of baseless fears like processor speed, reliability etc.
I got my 5.7 inch wqhd display, but easy to handle, no notch, 6gb ram, 128 gb rom honor 8 pro for around 19k after the instant cashback a month back. And it feels almost as premium as 5 or 5T at almost half the cost. With a close to bezel less and beautiful aluminium body. Almost three more of my officemates are waiting for another round of offers to get the same.Though initially wanted to return it because of slight heating, the update to oreo solved that problem.
Old 8th June 2018, 13:13   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Doc View Post
Try Olx and give them a low offer then meet them and shave off another couple thousand!

That is a very nasty thing to do. Wastes everyone's time and efforts. I have met such "insert choicest bad word" during my sales and have abused them on their face when they say: ' Offer more discount and the likes'.

When I am listing the exact condition of my product, pictures to support it and the price expected, you either buy it at that price or lay off. Don't waste seller's time with silly low-balling tactics.
Old 8th June 2018, 13:43   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
When I am listing the exact condition of my product, pictures to support it and the price expected, you either buy it at that price or lay off. Don't waste seller's time with silly low-balling tactics.

Your evaluation of the products you sell may have been spot on and people may have agreed to your asking price but such sellers are an exception on OLX.

Olx or any such classified app gives the option of quoting price to both the buyer and the seller, so I dont see anything wrong if the buyer quotes a price. Irrespective of what the figure is, or how low it is compared to the asking price, if the buyer and seller can agree on a figure then what is the harm in it. Negotiation will always be a part of second hand goods purchase.
Old 8th June 2018, 14:11   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mitsuvolk View Post
I was referring to the 'meet them and shave off' part. Online negotiations are perfect and expected, but when you finalise a price and a place to meet and then decide to low-ball the price at the physical meeting, it is not ethical. Provided the description is wrong or photos were false or you find a fault, which wasn't mentioned, then the buyer has full rights to re-negotiate.
Old 9th June 2018, 10:31   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
'meet them and shave off'
I agree to that. If the final price has been decided mutually beforehand then one should not expect the seller to waive off more from the decided price.

Selling something on OLX these days has become very frustrating.
Old 9th June 2018, 11:06   #60
BHPian

The sole reason I bought the OP6 was it's camera performance. After buying MiA1 I was no longer willing to spend money on a mid ranged smartphone that was praised a lot but delivered average performance.
Low light shots on OP6 are very good, and for once I am not regretting buying 'just another smartphone'. Please check the youtube for samples of 4K 60 FPS video quality, dynamic range is exceptional. Ability to shoot RAW is a huge advantage. When it comes to speed it's the fastest one out there right now. The build quality is another thing to consider, Mi A1 has a couple of scratches on it's camera module even though it never came out of the back cover.
OP6 can stand in the league of flagships out there and delivery a performance that is better in comparison. It's missing the wireless charging, stereo speakers and is still trailing closely to Pixel 2 in camera department but, it's still a very good device.

Last edited by wrongturn : 9th June 2018 at 11:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks