Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2018, 00:39   #1
BHPian

OnePlus 6 Launch Day purchase experience at DLF Place, Saket

Hey Everyone!

I am writing this post on behalf of a friend (whom I will refer to as SAM from this point on) who just bought a OnePlus 6 on the launch day. I went along to accompany him. I have been almost a year-long user of my precious OnePlus 5; when Sam asked me which phone should he pick since his old Moto Z was so bogged down, I answered the obvious. Surely, I presented him with choices like the camera king - Pixel 2, but he chose OnePlus 6 over the Pixel 2 and so be it. Sam decided that he will be a part of the launch day crowd and get hands-on with the device as soon as he could. We tracked down the nearest pop-up store which was: DLF Place, Saket, New Delhi. We live in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh so we figured we would leave his home by 2:30 PM to reach the launch time which was scheduled at 3:30 PM, May 21.

I woke up on the launch day, had some breakfast, and later, put on my Team-BHP (Live to Ride) T-Shirt and left home to travel to our rendezvous point at Sam's place which is further 14 km from my house. I took some Motul Chain Lubricant with me to my society building's basement to lubricate my motorcycle's chain and secretly stashed it between the brick-gaps and hoped it would be there when I got back (Hint: It got stolen ). So I rode my motorcycle in the sweltering heat of Delhi to Sam's. I parked my motorcycle at his house and we took his car, which was a relief. After a little longer than an hour, we reached the launch venue by 4 PM, thanks to Delhi traffic.

OnePlus 6 Launch Day purchase experience at DLF Place, Saket-img_20180521_152815.jpg
47 degrees outside!

By the time we entered the DLF Place Mall, the queue was humongous! We couldn't believe our eyes at how huge the crowd was and people were watching over the event from the upper floor as well. The crowd was a mixture of those who wanted to buy the device, those who wanted to experience it and those who came to watch a live performance of some singer whose name I don't remember because I don't really listen to his music.

OnePlus 6 Launch Day purchase experience at DLF Place, Saket-img_20180521_161440.jpg
The Long Wait.

We were told that some people were camping at the venue since 7:30 AM in the morning! Regardless, we entered the queue and moved along. The poles separating the people seemed to disappear as we moved inwards in a maze-like queue and soon it was all chaos. We waited for an hour and a half with no progress whatsoever because people seemed to jump the queue from wherever they could find space. The management was extremely poor on the OnePlus' side (But they were taking care of customers by serving water bottles and snickers so I'll give them a passing grade). At first, people at the counter were more interested in selling the phones and allowed anyone to purchase regardless of their order but it soon led to loud objections and more chaos, which forced OP to follow the names and the order of arrival. OnePlus responded by setting up one more purchase counter nearby initially for women and cash only and later expanded to accepting cards and males. This counter was much better since it followed a linear queue format than a maze (maze doesn't work very well with Indians). At this point, I and Sam were extremely tired and rushed to the second counter. We scored our device at exactly 6:30 PM, paid partly in cash and card, got a 'Never Settle' T-Shirt Free.

OnePlus 6 Launch Day purchase experience at DLF Place, Saket-img_20180521_175815.jpg
We rushed to the second counter to get the device.

In the meanwhile, I met the General Manager of OP India, Mr Vikas Agarwal. Surprisingly, he too was performing similar tasks as any other member in addition to supervising the event. Maybe no one else did, but I recognised him and went on to say hello. He asked me whether I was purchasing the phone, my name, and my occupation. Extremely simple guy, I must say, but probably very smart at the same time. Pleasantries were exchanged the meeting was broken off as he had other work to do.

Once we got the device, we went to the mall parking where the car was parked and unboxed the device. It is a beauty in the mirror black finish. Specs aside, what I noticed was the dreaded notch, the rounded corners of the screen, much superior camera to my OP5, uncomfortably large screen and vastly improved quality control (super-tactile buttons, perfectly aligned alert slider). The box included the charging brick, the cable, and a case! Needless to say, Sam was very happy.

A photo with the OP6 after hours of waiting:
OnePlus 6 Launch Day purchase experience at DLF Place, Saket-img_20180521_180924.jpg

A few images of the device:
OnePlus 6 Launch Day purchase experience at DLF Place, Saket-img_20180521_181419.jpg
OnePlus 6 Launch Day purchase experience at DLF Place, Saket-img_20180521_182313.jpg
OnePlus 6 Launch Day purchase experience at DLF Place, Saket-img_20180521_182439.jpg

He decided to throw me a party. We went to Connaught Place to grab some food and drove back to Sam's home. I got back onto the saddle of my trusty Avenger and rode back home. Decided to write this post later.

OnePlus 6 Launch Day purchase experience at DLF Place, Saket-img_20180521_184908.jpg
Driving into the sunset.

Overall, we had a pretty good experience barring some mismanagement on the OnePlus' side. OP is growing fast and I noticed how better the OP6 is built as compared to mine. I still think OnePlus can't match Google's software (and rightly so). I'd personally still pick the Pixel 2 over the newer device owing to slick performance, the best camera as of now, long support period, fast updates and some sick tricks up its sleeve. The only thing that could pull me back is its unfair price in India which puts back the OP6 onto the throne as the value king for now. Thanks for reading.

Ciao.

Last edited by Zappo : 22nd May 2018 at 11:17. Reason: Edited as requested
Old 22nd May 2018, 10:14   #2
BHPian

re: OnePlus 6 Launch Day purchase experience at DLF Place, Saket

Interesting. 3 of us ordered the device yesterday at Amazon. We were armed with our SBI cards and Fast AF vouchers and placed the order by 12.03. Would've done it faster but Amazon page stopped responding twice.

We planned to make a quick break from workplace to visit Saket but after reading your experience, I'm glad we didn't.

The funny thing, though, is that the phone is still available and there was no reason to hurry or sweat

Due to the impatience, we lost a chance to get the free Bullets V2 headphones through referral program :(
Old 22nd May 2018, 11:01   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
Interesting. 3 of us ordered the device yesterday at Amazon. We were armed with our SBI cards and Fast AF vouchers and placed the order by 12.03. Would've done it faster but Amazon page stopped responding twice.

We planned to make a quick break from workplace to visit Saket but after reading your experience, I'm glad we didn't.

The funny thing, though, is that the phone is still available and there was no reason to hurry or sweat

Due to the impatience, we lost a chance to get the free Bullets V2 headphones through referral program :(
Enjoy your new phone buddy! To be honest, you missed nothing by not being there at the venue. My friend just wanted to go to the venue and buy it, because impatience
He wanted to first-hand experience the fast-rising wannabe-hipster trend by waiting in the queue. I'm glad it didn't come to camping hours before for the launch

Talking about your loss of Bullets v2, I lost a similar offer last year due to impatience. But I bought 1More Triple Drivers and I've never been happier. Slightly off-topic, but compared to what sub-2000 headphones sound, I found myself in sound haven.
Old 22nd May 2018, 11:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

So will this phone not be available via regular channels like local shops / e-shops etc?
Couldn't fathom the reason for "rush" ... or is it some king of adrenaline rush that people experience in the queue?
Old 22nd May 2018, 11:26   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Couldn't fathom the reason for "rush" ... or is it some king of adrenaline rush that people experience in the queue?
Exactly, I am wondering what is happening here.

At first people used to be like that at iPhone launches, now it is for all kind of phones?

If all those people were dealers and resellers, I can understand their excitement about a fresh products.
Old 22nd May 2018, 12:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Exactly, I am wondering what is happening here.

At first people used to be like that at iPhone launches, now it is for all kind of phones?

If all those people were dealers and resellers, I can understand their excitement about a fresh products.
The huge crowd was mostly the youth. I presume they weren't buying with their own money either, some were asking for specs at the venue before purchase. The old and seasoned enthusiasts who have reached the pinnacle of their fields were rarely spotted. I may be wrong, but considering the average enthusiast doesn't ask the salesperson for specs, well, you get my point.

The queue for new launches of products is nothing new. Maybe people are just looking for something to break their routine? When I was in my college days, I would do anything to kill time. Go to a fancy restaurant? Buy Shoes? I eventually outgrew the gratification it provided.
Old 22nd May 2018, 12:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Waiting in a queue, to buy a phone?
Were they giving those out for free or something?

I hope this kind of mad rush is not artificially created, to create false market hype.
Old 22nd May 2018, 12:39   #8
BHPian

I believe that gathering a crowd and making people stand in queues is an excellent marketing/PR gimmick. So much is talked about it and broadcasted that other who are on the fence, want to try it too.
There are much better ways of selling a product hassle free on launch day ( pre-booking and selling only to those with a timed and numbered coupon), but companies like Apple and now the copy-cats prefer to sell in chaos.
Old 22nd May 2018, 13:03   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Waiting in a queue, to buy a phone?
Were they giving those out for free or something?

I hope this kind of mad rush is not artificially created, to create false market hype.
I remember me joking about that too. It wasn't free, there was no discount yet the horde was happy about spending and spending it fast, to get the exclusivity factor in their lives (at least for a few hours, the world gets it the next morning). Speaks volumes about the attention we unknowingly crave and the wrong things we stand for!

And I don't think that the rush was artificially created because unlike Apple, OnePlus had only 6 stores selling the phone on 21st. So, queue had to be large because less retail stores = more crowd at a store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
There are much better ways of selling a product hassle free on launch day ( pre-booking and selling only to those with a timed and numbered coupon), but companies like Apple and now the copy-cats prefer to sell in chaos.
You're absolutely right. That's the way it should be done. I am NOT a fan of the current chaos model. This uses the most valuable asset, the customers as the puppet. Honestly, if I need a phone, I am going to wait for a few months before making a decision and then purchase online anyway. Millenials have a lot of time on their hands, so they find a way to kill it and companies get free marketing.
Old 23rd May 2018, 12:08   #10
BHPian

Re: OnePlus 6 Launch Day purchase experience at DLF Place, Saket

This is nothing new. OnePlus 5T launch in Bengaluru also saw hundreds of people queuing outside the experience store.

Not surprised at the crowd at all. Quite why one would queue to buy a phone is beyond me, however.
Old 23rd May 2018, 12:20   #11
BHPian

My brother ordered his phone from Amazon (Prime early access) on 21st May, paid via SBI card, got 2000 Cash back, got his phone yesterday afternoon.
Queue for a phone! Kyu?

Last edited by driveanddrive : 23rd May 2018 at 12:50. Reason: Wrong date!
Old 23rd May 2018, 12:45   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveanddrive View Post
My brother ordered his phone from Amazon (Prime early access) on 21st April, paid via SBI card, got 2000 Cash back, got his phone yesterday afternoon.
Queue for a phone! Kyu?
Haha, amazing indeed!

As much as we'd like to think we're highly individualistic, we (the first of the TV/media generation) and our successive generations are very susceptible to branding and often do EXACTLY what brands want us to do.

Almost everything we do, we do because it has been marketed to us. Visit Pangong Tso, buy that phone, watch that movie and like it, do free PR for a bike manufacturer on social media, vote for a certain party, hold a pro or anti-stance on any issue, support a particular IPL team... everything we do these days is influenced by branding. And branding is truly everywhere, not even easily identified as such anymore. And from what I see of my friends' children, brand consciousness is even higher among the future generations of Indian middle-class and above city kids. Advertising and PR have a great future, as always.

Last edited by am1m : 23rd May 2018 at 12:47.
Old 23rd May 2018, 12:49   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveanddrive View Post
My brother ordered his phone from Amazon (Prime early access) on 21st April, paid via SBI card, got 2000 Cash back, got his phone yesterday afternoon.
Queue for a phone! Kyu?
Seriously even i Think the same. i don't remember when was the last electronic item I bought in store. Almost everything has been through the comfort home/office.
I was curious to know what they offer over the OnePlus 5T we have at home (both me and wife have same). even for that I din't bother to go to the store till now.
either people are crazy, or lot of people have a lot of time.
Old 23rd May 2018, 12:50   #14
BHPian

Aparently OnePlus sold 100crore worth of phones in 10 min. This is a good indicator most sales were Online. So most of the buyers probably did not move anything other than fingers.
The real question to ask, what is driving high number of people to rush to shops for such events/purchases. Even being early to get hands on device is still not the first. And there is no shortage or exclusivity or even limited production?

Considering buyer of such specs driven product is well aware, educated and capable of using electronic transaction methods, sounds even more unrealistic. (Although true).

Last edited by CarJunki : 23rd May 2018 at 12:53.
Old 23rd May 2018, 13:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Totally amazed looking at the turn of events. I guess its similar to iPhone launches. People apparently camped from night before for some iPhone launch. If they were for free I could have understood, but these aren't even cheap. Such enthusiasm to spend is beyond me. And here I am still on onePlus X since 2015 november and unable to find a reason to switch/upgrade

Last time I had such enthusiasm was for harry potter releases, but that was because I wanted to know the story before any spoilers could reach me

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks