Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2024, 22:30   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The quintessential Apple Watch thread

These days, I notice something strange.

As soon as I sit in my Tesla, my Apple Watch gets a pop up notification and immediately recognizes where I am going and suggests a route.

I notice this happens if i am following a regular routine like Home-Work-Gym-Grocery Store-Home etc..

Not sure if it's a Tesla feature or Apple Watch feature?

Eitherways, It's really awesome.

The quintessential Apple Watch thread-img_2177.jpg
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 22:59   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Likely coming from Maps if you have turned on the save significant locations in location settings.

Does it allow you to go straight to navigation in Maps if you tap on it, or is it just a notification?
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 01:29   #378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Likely coming from Maps if you have turned on the save significant locations in location settings.
Cool. I never play around with anything. Meaning, I never changed any settings either on Apple Maps on phone or the watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Does it allow you to go straight to navigation in Maps if you tap on it, or is it just a notification?
As you can see from the image, it's just a "notification" as there is no option to go to maps as there is only a "Dismiss" button.

When in BMW, I use the Apple Maps and maps show up on the watch too. But, T has the native maps and doesn't use any third party (Google Maps, Apple Maps or Waze).
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 19:46   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Attachment 2568618
Apple watch feature. Don't have a Tesla, but get this on my series 9 every time I sit in my 2018 Skoda Rapid (which doesn't even come with car-play).
It seems to know where I am going, even though I never use Apple Maps.
Old 5th February 2024, 20:52   #380
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
It seems to know where I am going, even though I never use Apple Maps.
Maybe you have your home/work saved on your Apple/maps profile?
Old 5th February 2024, 21:07   #381
BHPian

I have had several instances of my Watch guessing where I want to go or rather where I should be. I had added all my lecture schedule on my calendar and it used to sync seamlessly.

The quintessential Apple Watch thread-whatsapp-image-20240205-9.00.26-pm.jpeg

A reminder used to come 5 mins before each lecture and also used to have a suggested location. I think it used to track the location according to the name of the subject as well as my location at that time on the particular day of the week. Fun was when we had online lectures and reminders used to pop up and suggested location was Home and that I am X mins away.
Old 5th February 2024, 23:07   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

Apple uses a feature called significant locations for these predictions.
Quote:
The Maps app uses information about your significant locations from Location Services to provide you with personalized services like predictive traffic routing. Your significant locations are end-to-end encrypted and can’t be read by Apple.
They say it’s end-to-end encrypted, but, if someone wants to disable these, it’s simple enough - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guid...h32b15b22f/ios
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 00:13   #383
BHPian

Planning to trade in my Apple Watch S7 41mm with an Apple Watch S9 45mm as I felt 41mm is too small for my wrist. The Series 7 was bought from USA in 2022 by dad when he went for a trip and mistakenly bought 41mm while I had insisted him get 45mm due to the bigger screen.

Was thinking of getting Ultra 2 but felt expensive and somehow felt that Series 9 has similar features to Ultra 2 (correct me if I'm wrong).
Old 26th February 2024, 13:20   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Planning to trade in my Apple Watch S7 41mm with an Apple Watch S9 45mm as I felt 41mm is too small for my wrist. The Series 7 was bought from USA in 2022 by dad when he went for a trip and mistakenly bought 41mm while I had insisted him get 45mm due to the bigger screen.

Was thinking of getting Ultra 2 but felt expensive and somehow felt that Series 9 has similar features to Ultra 2 (correct me if I'm wrong).
I am using a Series 9 45 mm, bought from USA, since a month. The 45 mm one is perfect. Agree with you that the 41 mm one seems quite puny and unassuming.

The Ultra, in my opinion is unnecessarily expensive and looks butch. Not my taste. Features wise, not much of a one-up from the 9 either. The 9 would be the best bet in the current scenario.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 15:42   #385
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Feature-wise not many differences between the Series 9 and Ultra 2, but the hardware differences are notable, and it boils down to personal preferences.
  • If soft clean lines is your thing, go with the Series 9; Ultra is chunky with its titanium body and massive flat glass slab.
  • Ultra is less prone to scratches (or rather hard to scratch), both the body and also the glass. On the watch 9, I believe the sapphire crystal glass is available only on the stainless steel model (which is closer to Ultra’s pricing).
  • Ultra is available only with GPS + Cellular option, while the Series 9 you can have with GPS only (if cellular connectivity is not important for you). The Ultra's dual-frequency GPS is said to be more precise, but personally I don't see any difference/variance when compared with my wife's Series 8.
  • The Series 9 will need daily charging whereas the Ultra can easily go on for two full days.

Other than the form factor, the last point above is one key reason that I moved from Series 6 to Ultra in 2022 (when the Gen 1 came out). In fact I am locked in with an iPhone only because of the watch

Last edited by vb-saan : 26th February 2024 at 15:47.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2024, 11:28   #386
BHPian

Here's a peculiar problem I'm facing on my apple watch Ultra;

While having an indoor run on treadmill for around 12km in an hour, it used to log on a distance of around 11.8-11.9Kms regularly. Which was kind of OK.

Recently, I completed an outdoor run (half marathon) and it perfectly logged on as 21.XXXkms.

But the problem now I'm facing on the indoor treadmill runs is, that for one hour of run at the same speed prior to the outdoor run, it is Logging the distance as 7-8kms, which is far away from the actual distance I'm running (50-60% less).

Any idea, why this is happening? Sensor got calibrated? How can I get back to original distance being covered? Note - Steps count haven't changed and are more or less consistent.
Old 4th March 2024, 15:46   #387
BHPian

I upgraded to a Watch 9 (GPS+Cellular) from Watch 3. I am not able to map my old watch to the phone, as the ability to map multiple watches is available only from watch 4 and up.

Will be helpful if anyone can share a workaround.

Also, I would like to know what should I expect for my watch 3 if I try to sell it off. Its 6 years old and has 80% battery health
Old 12th March 2024, 13:47   #388

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
Here's a peculiar problem I'm facing on my apple watch Ultra;
=======Note - Steps count haven't changed and are more or less consistent.
Apple watches supposedly underestimate indoor runs by about 30% is what many have reported. But it's surprising that earlier it was accurate and now the problem has cropped up. In my case it is the opposite. On a 30 min run,as per the treadmill i cover between 5.2 to 5.4 kms but apple watch shows 6 kms.
https://runningshorts.com/misc/featu...ice-treadmill/
Old 16th March 2024, 10:24   #389
Senior - BHPian

Sorry if my question is a bit silly.

I have been using an Apple Watch 7 series-Cellular for the last 1.5 years. This was paired to my iphone 12, and it worked well as an independent device for calls etc when i was out for walking/ cycling etc.

About 6 months ago, i shifted to an iphone 15 and post a few iOS updates im starting to see some issues in the way the watch works independently, as a cellular device.

First, i noticed that no one was able to reach me when i had only my watch. I wasnt able to make calls either. I tried resetting settings, even uninstalled the e-sim and reinstalled on the watch. I initially thought its an issue with Jio’s e-sim, then later made a call to apple’s customer care to understand the issue. Now, the service executive from apple accessed my phone, came on a screen-share call and then seemed to suggest that i should turn off wifi in the watch and bluetooth too shouldn’t be connected to the iPhone. He said that only then the watch will act as an independent device for cellular purposes. Im a little confused, i have never manually disabled wifi or Bluetooth earlier, and the watch worked perfectly fine when i went for my walks and runs. Why is it something that i have to do now? Its a bit inconvenient if you have to manually disable wifi and Bluetooth all the time. And if you disable both of these how does the watch connect to the phone for data sharing of health etc? Basically, the tab which has the cellular symbol has to show “LTE” and not the “mobile tower” kind of symbol, wifi should be turned off for the watch to work independently.

Am i missing something or have i done something wrong in my settings?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks