Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2023, 16:42   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The quintessential Apple Watch thread

Sold my iPhone couple of weeks back and moved to S23 Ultra, I was feeling too held back by iPhone by lack of customizations. I am using a galaxy watch 4 now, but i really do miss the apple watch, it definitely was a no fuss watch. Watch 4 is a good watch, and new one is about to launch but on a whole apple watch did feel like a complete product. Wish they had an option to let it work with Android phones like how they do with airpods.

Have put it on sale on classifieds, but in future if apple opens up the watch to andorid, I would love to pick one again. So long Apple watch, it was good till it lasted.
AtheK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2023, 20:48   #317
BHPian

So, I have never had a smart watch in my life. Always been using mechanical watches all through my adult life. But I would like to get on board and explore the possibilities as with an apple watch I can skip carrying my iphone for about 20-30% of my activities. I made a list of things which I would like to replace the watch with phone :

1. Apple pay
2. Bluetooth key for my Tesla
3. Track my sleep + Alarms
4. Heart rate monitoring during runs and lifts

Now the question for apple watch veterans here is : Should I go with a 1 yr old series 7 watch offered for free by a friend or buy myself a new entry level watch SE2 ?

Last edited by carthick1000 : 5th August 2023 at 20:51.
Old 5th August 2023, 21:38   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
So, I have never had a smart watch in my life. Always been using mechanical watches all through my adult life. But I would like to get on board and explore the possibilities as with an apple watch I can skip carrying my iphone for about 20-30% of my activities. I made a list of things which I would like to replace the watch with phone :

1. Apple pay
2. Bluetooth key for my Tesla
3. Track my sleep + Alarms
4. Heart rate monitoring during runs and lifts

Now the question for apple watch veterans here is : Should I go with a 1 yr old series 7 watch offered for free by a friend or buy myself a new entry level watch SE2 ?
Welcome to the beautiful world of Apple Watches. Just remember one thing before taking the plunge.

There is no going back.

AW can do everything that you listed out and much more.

Only hindrance for new folks jumping into this bandwagon would be to charge one more device once every 24-hours, as AW lasts just about this long.

Just grab the AW 7 as these watches last super long (Mine is a AW6 and I never even think of upgrading as the upgrades are insignificant)

Remember the SE's are all stripped down versions so won't feel like a proper AW.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2023, 22:24   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Wish they had an option to let it work with Android phones like how they do with airpods.

Have put it on sale on classifieds, but in future if apple opens up the watch to andorid, I would love to pick one again. So long Apple watch, it was good till it lasted.
You can, with a old iPhone as proxy device:

That being said, do enable the hidden features of galaxy watches which may be disabled for India like Samsung Health Monitor having ECG + Blood Pressure.
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2023, 22:32   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
You can, with a old iPhone as proxy device:
https://Youtu.be/tONbiXVcC88

That being said, do enable the hidden features of galaxy watches which may be disabled for India like Samsung Health Monitor having ECG + Blood Pressure.
Why would I buy an old iPhone just to make watch work, if it has to work just as a fitness device then I am better off having a Garmin.

Using galaxy watch 4 which a friend had spare for now, this also pretty much gets the job done.
AtheK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2023, 22:35   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Why would I buy an old iPhone just to make watch work, if it has to work just as a fitness device then I am better off having a Garmin.

Using galaxy watch 4 which a friend had spare for now, this also pretty much gets the job done.
Use case will be you have an existing Apple watch and you moved to Android. For me my iPhone 7 is backup phone while S20+ is primary. I don't use Apple watch though
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2023, 22:42   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Use case will be you have an existing Apple watch and you moved to Android. For me my iPhone 7 is backup phone while S20+ is primary. I don't use Apple watch though
Ya probably because you had an iphone for backup

I just carry one phone, will sell the Apple watch, and probably get the watch 6 classic, looks nice too.

Thanks for your response.
Old 5th August 2023, 22:48   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Ya probably because you had an iphone for backup

I just carry one phone, will sell the Apple watch, and probably get the watch 6 classic, looks nice too.

Thanks for your response.
Actually I also carry 1 phone. By backup I mean it stays home inside cupboard. It is meant to be used in case my primary phone gets stolen / damaged and can serve as a solution till my primary is fixed. While using iPhone, I always used Google services for contacts & other data so all information effortlessly moves between iOS & Android.

Watch 6 Classic is nice. Hope it can make you forget about your ex
Old 12th August 2023, 23:57   #324
BHPian

So I picked up @Athek’s Apple Watch 7. I’m an Apple fanboy and have been contemplating getting the Watch for a while now. Ideally wanted the Ultra but somehow could never get over the analogue watches I have. So before plonking ~80k bucks on the Ultra, wanted to test waters with a less pricier alternative. While I was contemplating picking up the Series8 during the Amazon sale, cam across this thread in my research. And more pertinently Athek’s post. Texted him, agreed on the deal, my friend went to his place, picked and shipped the watch. Received it yesterday and it’s been on my wrist since the. Except 1 charge cycle till now.

Here’s the thing - I’m based in Mumbai, haven’t met AtheK ever and yet I plonked quite a few thousands without so much as having the product tested. Big shoutout to TBHP for fostering this trust.

After my Interceptor650, this is my second pre-loved purchase from TBHP. And @Athek - mate you’ve been a pleasure to deal with. Will definitely buzz you the next time I’m in bangalore.
GreyNomad is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 23:08   #325
Distinguished - BHPian

Ultra watch 2 is so bland and devoid of any new exciting feature that they spoke about a watch face in keynote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyNomad View Post
So I picked up @Athek’s Apple Watch 7. I’m an Apple fanboy and have been contemplating getting the Watch for a while now. Ideally wanted the Ultra but somehow could never get over the analogue watches I have. So before plonking ~80k bucks on the Ultra, wanted to test waters with a less pricier alternative. While I was contemplating picking up the Series8 during the Amazon sale, cam across this thread in my research. And more pertinently Athek’s post. Texted him, agreed on the deal, my friend went to his place, picked and shipped the watch. Received it yesterday and it’s been on my wrist since the. Except 1 charge cycle till now.

Here’s the thing - I’m based in Mumbai, haven’t met AtheK ever and yet I plonked quite a few thousands without so much as having the product tested. Big shoutout to TBHP for fostering this trust.

After my Interceptor650, this is my second pre-loved purchase from TBHP. And @Athek - mate you’ve been a pleasure to deal with. Will definitely buzz you the next time I’m in bangalore.
Had missed this message buddy. It was a pleasure connecting with you, would be happy to catch up.

Hope you are having fun with it, and seeing the New watch 9, you can happily hold on to it for much longer.

Last edited by AtheK : 12th September 2023 at 23:15.
AtheK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 00:16   #326
BHPian

My experience with the watch is seriously lifestyle altering! I walk 5.5k+ steps everyday, cycle for ~2hrs per week, walk up upto 8 floors thrice a week - all to close the activity rings! None of these are major efforts and yet I’m consciously making these incremental changes to my lifestyle for a healthier life. I’ve even traded Binge watching content for early sleeping to make sure I match the 8 sleep hours set on the watch. The sleep data has helped me arrive at my sweet sleep spot.

Every change I’ve made to my lifestyle could have been done without the Watch. But the data the watch throws up, the activity rings and intuitive alerts, the gamification via the badges and the fact that I plonked quite a fair amount of money for the gizmo, make me use it and use it in the manner intended. It’s definitely taking me to a healthier life so yes! I am having a whole lotta fun with the device.

Quote:
Ultra watch 2 is so bland and devoid of any new exciting feature that they spoke about a watch face in keynote.

Had missed this message buddy. It was a pleasure connecting with you, would be happy to catch up.

Hope you are having fun with it, and seeing the New watch 9, you can happily hold on to it for much longer.
GreyNomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 00:29   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Sold my iPhone couple of weeks back and moved to S23 Ultra, I was feeling too held back by iPhone by lack of customizations. I am using a galaxy watch 4 now, but i really do miss the apple watch, it definitely was a no fuss watch.
Which was the iPhone earlier, and how much did you get for it? A friend of mine is considering selling his 13 for 50-53k - a year and a month old, he too now feels it’s a bland proposition compared to android - he purchased it for 73900 just before that shock sale this time last year which made everyone an iPhone owner. He is disappointed to see offers ranging from 38k to 42k - phone is in great condition with a bulletproof case.

Others who have owned the Series 6/7/8 and moved to Ultra - is it worth the upgrade in terms of features like ECG and Oxygen? The Ultra 2 launched today does not have the highly anticipated Blood Sugar feature. I have not owned one and would like one to have good battery life (atleast 2 days) and being rugged - has to be. Wall corners and furniture corners seem to target my watch screens every time. Is the screen really that scratch and crack resistant on the Ultra? I do not prefer the gaudy screen guards like the ones on phones on my watch. Probably a plastic film at most to avoid it becoming a fingerprint magnet
Old 13th September 2023, 07:32   #328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am using a galaxy watch 4 now, but i really do miss the apple watch, it definitely was a no fuss watch. Watch 4 is a good watch, and new one is about to launch but on a whole apple watch did feel like a complete product.
Absolutely. Even though my current primary phone is a S23, I am still keeping the 13 Mini just for the Watch Ultra. In my opinion, Apple wearables are way ahead of its immediate competitors. My wife moved from a Gen 1 Watch SE to Galaxy Watch 5 (when she switched to S23 Ultra), and now sorely miss the Apple Watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
Others who have owned the Series 6/7/8 and moved to Ultra - is it worth the upgrade in terms of features like ECG and Oxygen?
From my experience of using the Watch Ultra for the past 9 months, the short answer is Yes! Not because of features like ECG or blood oxygen – those were available in my earlier Series 6 as well. I like the larger screen, overall heft of the device, and most importantly, the battery life – I now charge the watch only once in 2 days.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 08:05   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-saan View Post
Absolutely. Even though my current primary phone is a S23, I am still keeping the 13 Mini just for the Watch Ultra. In my opinion, Apple wearables are way ahead of its immediate competitors. My wife moved from a Gen 1 Watch SE to Galaxy Watch 5 (when she switched to S23 Ultra), and now sorely miss the Apple Watch.
I have since moved to watch 6, after the first few weeks I completely stopped missing the Apple watch and I think watch 6 is very polished now and google wear has also evolved well, though the overall polish of apple watch is still better as well the ecosystem integration.

What I am appreciating more on watch 6 is the circular dial and it just feels like a proper watch and not to mention the plethora of free watch faces. The gap is almost now negligible between both the phone and the watch.

The fact that I also have to charge my watch once in two days is a boon compared to series 7 which almost needed to be charged daily.
Old 13th September 2023, 09:25   #330
BHPian

Quote:
I liked the "double tap" feature that they have introduced on this new generation of watches, I guess that's quite handy, specially while dog walking or at the gym, keeps your other hand free, in addition to the watch face with an altimeter. But still not worth the upgrade from the previous gen Ultra.

Last edited by NomadSK : 13th September 2023 at 09:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks