Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2022, 07:41   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The quintessential Apple Watch thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Since more and more people are noticing our modest Apple promotional campaign we are inching closer to getting a commission from Tim Cook and perhaps we may have to cut Shankar in as well
One small mistake- Since we love Apple, I think we should change the mindset of expecting a commission. We should rather focus on a % of Apple’s valuation as our cut for our valuable contribution to it’s customer base expansion.

What say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Mobike please explain the parameters on your watch face. What have you enabled to get this screen? Thank you. Cheers
Trust me, it will take you a while to understand this as its slightly complicated and also due to the features being so exhaustive and so many options to choose from.

In the Apple Watch world, wallpaper is referred to as “Faces”. In the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, you can create new faces with complications (Complication is what is seen on the face typical on its 4-corners- Top Left, Top Right, Bottom Left, and Bottom Right)

There are tons of faces and tons of complication “Options” that can be created including animated avatars (My Avatar below which is animated and makes faces at me all the time) to a collage of your own photographs. You swipe (Left or Right) to keep these faces (or, wallpapers on your watch)

Example of my own Avatar- Complications are the AQ or Weather or Time you see on this particular face. For each face, you can create different depending on your need and interest

The quintessential Apple Watch thread-img_9451.jpg

Personal pictures as your Apple Watch face.

The quintessential Apple Watch thread-img_9455.jpg

However, what you see in previous post is my fitness app with an activity (Riding my Bicycle) in action.

Let me use the example of my ride today- I am cranking off 20 mile ride easily these days...LOL!!

The quintessential Apple Watch thread-img_9444.jpg

Parameters shown in above screen are :

1. Time since activity began
2. Heartbeat Per Minute (BPM)
3. Average Speed
4. Elevation Gained
5. Total Distance Covered

P.S : Best feature-Suppose you start an exercise and forget to start the fitness app. Apple Watch will sense you are doing a fitness activity and will prompt you to record the session. This way, you will never miss any records if you are doing physical activity.

Once you finish your exercise, you can go to the "Activity" app on your iPhone to see a whole different level of detail. Each parameter can be drilled down (I posted some pictures of the activity app on my last post in my Bicycle thread) to a detailed view.

In short, the information available and what it can do as a smartwatch is mind-boggling.

Hence, Apple Watch sells more than all smart watches put together in the market.

Last edited by vb-saan : 11th October 2022 at 07:50. Reason: AW to Apple Watch, Thank you!
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 09:38   #212
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
We love everything Apple and I noticed off-late, Shankar Balan has also joined our bandwagon.

Jokes aside, Yes, once you experience Apple and its smooth UI experience and tight integration with other products in its eco-system. It's hard to go back to anything else.

Cheers & Enjoy !!
Yes I m an Apple user since the first iPod 30GB video, in 2005-2006.
The evolution of their eco-system has been a wonderful journey to watch and be a part of. iPhone 4S, MacBook, MacBook Air, iPad, iPod Touch, the newer iPhones over the last 8 years with their incrementally superb cameras, the Apple Watch (es) and all the other stuff in between and after.
And once you get into that eco-system you just get so used to the quality, the interface, the ease of use, UI/UX etc and it’s near impossible to accept any other alternate.

So Apple is a bit like that lovely Eagles Song. Hotel California. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 11th October 2022 at 09:41.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 10:26   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Yes I m an Apple user since the first iPod 30GB video, in 2005-2006.
The evolution of their eco-system has been a wonderful journey to watch and be a part of. iPhone 4S, MacBook, MacBook Air, iPad, iPod Touch, the newer iPhones over the last 8 years with their incrementally superb cameras, the Apple Watch (es) and all the other stuff in between and after.
True that. I remember being in SE Asia when ipod Gen 1 launched and i picked one of the early units available. Compared to the devices today, it looked like a white brick with a greenish LCD display. Then there was a phase of loading it with songs you bought, downloaded, ripped and what not. More importantly tagging the songs correctly so that you can scroll through Genres, Artists, Albums and playlists. And then the Touch came and it exploded the way you operated your ipod. The mini ones that you used when out running.

2 days on with the Apple Watch and i am loving it. The fact that you went out for your morning walk, forgot to record it and the Watch nudges you with a message stating "Looks like you are excercising, can i track ?" is amazing. I had set my alarm for 5am and woke up a few minutes before. The watch said - looks like you are up and away, can i dismiss the alarm. Very intuitive!!!
subraiyr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 12:29   #214
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, a request to all: Just like our rule for cars, please don't use acronyms (e.g. AW8) when referring to watches / devices. Kindly use the full model name. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Thanks for the support & understanding
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 16:52   #215
BHPian

Hello!

After years of contemplating, i finally ordered Apple Watch 8 through Apple Website. Delivery is between 25Oct - 01Nov.

I got AMEX cashback offer and have opted for Apple Care + package.

I have been using iPhone 6s plus since 2016 and recently upgraded to iPhone 14.
ppc_rgs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 02:43   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
That's awesome . Must be the first on our forum. Did you post the pictures?
Here you go. I got the band changed to trail loop. I found it mMore comfortable than the Alpine loop that I ordered at first.
The quintessential Apple Watch thread-img_4856-large.jpeg

The quintessential Apple Watch thread-img_4857-large.jpeg

The quintessential Apple Watch thread-img_4858-large.jpeg

The quintessential Apple Watch thread-img_4861-large.jpeg

Here is the review by Quantified Scientist if you want to feel good about your purchase or help nudge you if you are on the fence.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 12th October 2022 at 03:00.
extreme_torque is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 06:59   #217
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Here you go. I got the band changed to trail loop. I found it mMore comfortable than the Alpine loop that I ordered at first.
[]
I bought the watch with the Ocean Band because of water-proof-ness. Awaiting its arrival by month-end.
I also bought the Rainforest Braided Solo Loop in Size 7. Its an easy and comfy-snug fit. So light that its almost ‘not there at all’! I have installed it on my Apple Watch 6 for now. It fits perfectly. Good that these straps are all interchangeable.
I like the Green Alpine loop but basis your feedback on it, I shall bide my time a little and then perhaps consider the Trail loop as you have done. Thing is Im looking for a darker and more ‘all-purpose-y’ colour because I will wish to wear my Ultra for all occasions. Casual and Formal.
So I saw the 45mm Leather Link on the Apple site. I wonder if it breathes. And the delivery in M/L size is Nov 2022. Incidentally if one chooses the Trail loop in whichever colour, in M/L that thing is likely to arrive in Mid Dec 2022!
Isn’t all this waiting-waiting completely NUTS?
But then, I guess the Apple chaps know how to whet the consumer’s appetite. Its like a ‘Tantalus’ this whole waiting game of anticipation!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 08:29   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I bought the watch with the Ocean Band because of water-proof-ness. Awaiting its arrival by month-end.
I also bought the Rainforest Braided Solo Loop in Size 7. Its an easy and comfy-snug fit. So light that its almost ‘not there at all’! I have installed it on my Apple Watch 6 for now. It fits perfectly. Good that these straps are all interchangeable.
I have a blue braided solo loop as well. It is my fav as far as comfort is concerned. Please bear in mind to buy one size smaller than the fit as it loosens up as you use it more.

Quote:
I like the Green Alpine loop but basis your feedback on it, I shall bide my time a little and then perhaps consider the Trail loop as you have done. Thing is Im looking for a darker and more ‘all-purpose-y’ colour because I will wish to wear my Ultra for all occasions. Casual and Formal.
Alpine is a wee bit more abrasive and less stretchey than the Trail loop. The small Alpine loop although fine for my wrist size, was very difficult to take off from the hand because its not as stretchey. Its also harder to adjust on the fly because of the G hook compared to the trail loop which is infinitely adjustable owing to velcro but is more secure than the sport loop because the velcro is bigger. Another oversight is that titanium G hook actually smacks the watch if you are not careful while take it off your hand.

Quote:
So I saw the 45mm Leather Link on the Apple site. I wonder if it breathes. And the delivery in M/L size is Nov 2022. Incidentally if one chooses the Trail loop in whichever colour, in M/L that thing is likely to arrive in Mid Dec 2022!
Isn’t all this waiting-waiting completely NUTS?
But then, I guess the Apple chaps know how to whet the consumer’s appetite. Its like a ‘Tantalus’ this whole waiting game of anticipation!
I love the leather link as well. It has very soft leather and so is very comfortable and very easy to make on the fly adjustments being magnetically clasped. Its not very breathable though but I have never found it uncomfortable. Hope it helps.

I wasnt expecting this wait on the Apple Watch Ultra given how much more it costs but its absolutely flying off the shelves. There is literally no stock of Apple Watch Ultra with Green Medium size Alpine loop in all of Australia!

Last edited by extreme_torque : 12th October 2022 at 08:34.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 13:04   #219
BHPian

I have placed order for Ultra with Ocean band (midnight) on Apple India website. I have been using Android phones for many years (still have one) but bought an iPhone 13 last year so that I could use an apple watch but never got around to actually buying the watch. Recently noticed ultra while casually browsing apple site. Love at first sight, placed order . This will be my first Apple watch and a second smart watch after Samsung galaxy watch 46mm and believe me only a third watch in the past 15 years.

I didn't like smart watches initially and the thought of charging the watch everyday sounded strange to me after having used to a self powering, bulky but trusted Citizen EcoDrive watch for more than a decade. That thing runs fine even after keeping it in a dark storage for a long time. And I felt too old to be wearing a screen on my wrist. But, I guess, my son's fascination for smart watches rubbed off on me too.
novice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 21:08   #220
BHPian

Finally took the plunge and got an Ultra from Canada (20k price differential was too big to ignore). It should be with me next week, and I am getting it with a Yellow/beige Trail loop.

I am a huge apple fan & have been on the apple eco-system since 2005. I already have an Apple Watch Series 3, and since it is almost at the end of its lifecycle, I decided to buy a new one. My biggest gripe with the Apple Watch was its battery life. Before ordering the Apple Watch Ultra, I tried Garmin Forerunner 955 for a week and was amazed at the battery life and the wealth of metrics it provides. It squarely beats Apple Watch in terms of recovery metrics and stress-related metrics. But the MIP display in Garmin was something I couldn't live with, especially after getting used to AMOLED displays on Apple Watch. The Fenix series in Garmin with AMOLED display was too costly, and I believe its resale would be much poorer than Apple Watch. So, all in all, buying an Apple Watch Ultra looked like a much better financial decision than Garmin Fenix. I am hopeful Apple would also start providing similar metrics like Garmin since this is more software/algorithm related than the actual hardware.

Quick question: Is the Apple Watch Ultra coming with a charger?
Old 14th October 2022, 14:32   #221
BANNED

They originally said my Apple Watch Ultra will only be delivered towards the end of October.
However I was surprised by this message that they are delivering it tomorrow, 15 Oct!
Its only a week since I ordered it so I am amazed that they have moved this quickly.
Sadly Im not in this weekend and shall only be able to see the product on Sunday evening when I return from my brief ‘outing’.
The Solo loop is a good product. Im using the size 7 forest green solo loop on my Apple Watch 6 and it fits nicely. Considering this, Im thinking of buying either the Alpine Loop or the Trail Loop as additional strap options. Wondering if I should buy these in M/L size.
Attached Thumbnails
The quintessential Apple Watch thread-3bf0123726ce4a61b559a0f635aead37.png  

shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 14:39   #222
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Considering this, Im thinking of buying either the Alpine Loop or the Trail Loop as additional strap options. Wondering if I should buy these in M/L size.
I would suggest getting the watch first, see how it feels on the hand, and then maybe order additional loops/bands. I read that the standard bands of Series 6/7 also work well with the Ultra; maybe try that as well.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 14:44   #223
Team-BHP Support

My wife uses a series 2 watch (38 mm). Are there any stainless steel straps available for this watch?
Old 14th October 2022, 15:28   #224
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I would suggest getting the watch first, see how it feels on the hand, and then maybe order additional loops/bands. I read that the standard bands of Series 6/7 also work well with the Ultra; maybe try that as well.
Ive ordered the Ocean band along with the watch.
What I want in addition, is something which is easy to put on and remove and which is comfortable, breathes at least a little, is water proof/ resistant and lasts long.
The Ultra is big. So while all the other straps of the 6 and 7 and all may be compatible, they do tend to look just a little bit disproportionate when mounted on the Ultra.
Old 14th October 2022, 16:00   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However I was surprised by this message that they are delivering it tomorrow, 15 Oct!
That’s great news Shankar, under promise and over deliver - customers happy. Actually, perhaps initially they underestimated the demand for the Ultra because of its price and corrected the supply chain accordingly.

Please post your thoughts after a reasonable amount of time for us and happy playing with a bigger model

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks