Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2022, 10:58   #121
Team-BHP Support

Re: The quintessential Apple Watch thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Charging- It took 1 hour and 20 mins to charge from 0% to 100% and takes about 1 Hour and 10 mins for 10%-100%

Battery Drain- It takes anywhere between 26 hours (Minimum) to 32 Hours (Maximum) for it to reach 10% battery level from 100%. This is with regular activities on my wrist like (Texts, Listening to songs in Gym, Walk or Gym Activities on, Apple Maps active on watch when I am driving every day etc)
Sorry for the delayed response. Firstly having googled a bit I think there is a definite difference in battery behaviour, longevity etc between the regular watch and the one with the e sim. That’s what the internet seems to indicate.

I haven’t used it for music, calls or anything fancy - mostly just had it on the wrist and on a couple of occasions used it to track an outdoor cycle ride or similar.

My experience of life is it lasts about 22-26 hours to run down to 10%. I can live with this although a bit better would be welcome.

My real pet peeve is the recharge time. It takes about 2:45 to get from 10-20% range to 100%. That’s far too long IMO and a 1 hr end to end recharge time would have been a more acceptable scenario - particularly for a watch that’s monitoring 24x7 metrics and in comparison to a Garmin has a pretty modest battery life. I’m pretty sure from gut feel that even my 12 pro iPhone charges a heck load quicker to 100% from low battery levels.

Apple 7 had tried to give some gyan on charging times having improved but what I’m experiencing on my watch at least is nothing to write home about.
Old 20th January 2022, 11:04   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
My real pet peeve is the recharge time. It takes about 2:45 to get from 10-20% range to 100%. That’s far too long IMO and a 1 hr end to end recharge time would have been a more acceptable scenario - particularly for a watch that’s monitoring 24x7 metrics and in comparison to a Garmin has a pretty modest battery life. I’m pretty sure from gut feel that even my 12 pro iPhone charges a heck load quicker to 100% from low battery levels.

Apple 7 had tried to give some gyan on charging times having improved but what I’m experiencing on my watch at least is nothing to write home about.
2.5 hours is just too long. I dont see why there will be a difference in charging time between a normal and an e-sim watch. My 6 series charges in about 1 hour give and take. This is through a adapter/plug though.
Old 20th January 2022, 11:55   #123
Team-BHP Support

Its over 2.5 hours actually. 2:45 or so.

Should I be turning the watch off while charging? Would that help? Anything else. I’m charging through a proper Apple charger. Not even USB.

I’d be quite pleased if I can get the charging time to an hour. Not sure why it’s taking that long for my watch.
Old 20th January 2022, 12:05   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its over 2.5 hours actually. 2:45 or so.

Should I be turning the watch off while charging? Would that help? Anything else. I’m charging through a proper Apple charger. Not even USB.

I’d be quite pleased if I can get the charging time to an hour. Not sure why it’s taking that long for my watch.
No need to turn it off. Why don’t try with a higher watt Apple charger. Probably a 10-12w charger.
Old 20th January 2022, 23:23   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Woah! Now I know the reason. I think you are right, the Cellular version of AW have a lower battery life and probably it's by design and there isn't much you can probably do except maybe use a higher wattage adapter to charge (Anker has a 20W which I use for charging my iPhone) which chargers really super fast.

My 13 Promax gets charged from 10%-70% in about 30 mins.

Coming back to my AW6 GPS version. I started tracking this on every charge.

Battery life is 22-30+ hours and charging is 1:30 hour. All izz well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
No need to turn it off. Why don’t try with a higher watt Apple charger. Probably a 10-12w charger.
I would recommend Anker and 20W. I'm using this product for over a year and it's fabulous. It's expensive ($17 per piece) but, totally worth the price.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 12:07   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been trying to convince wifey to buy the Apple Watch for a couple of years now but, she didn't want to change from her Fitbit. Luckily, the Fitbit died a few weeks ago.

This afternoon, she casually mentioned that she might consider AW.

Without her knowing, I went ahead and placed an order on Amazon. It was delivered in 1-hour flat. She was completely taken aback at this speed.

Perks of living in Seattle.

Apple Watch 7

The quintessential Apple Watch thread-img_5423.jpg

The quintessential Apple Watch thread-img_5413.jpg
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 19:16   #127
BHPian

Hi all,
I have recently gotten an iPhone 13 and prior to using this I was using a Oneplus 7T with a Samsung gear s3 frontier. The gear s3 frontier has held up beautifully until now and it's form factor is one of my favourites. Naturally I am not able to extract the full benefits of it now considering the limited iOS functionality and with it being ~4 years old the battery life has also taken a hit (Still get 2 days comfortably while being always connected to the phone)

I started looking for alternatives and the obvious choice is the Apple Watch. I have a couple of questions,
1. How significant is the feature difference between the SE and series 7. (I am 21 years old and not too actively focused on health tracking, I prefer smartwatches for the notifications and other functionality.)

2. Anyone who came from the traditional circular watch to the AW, how long did it take to adjust to the square form factor. I tried the AW at multiple stores and somehow I never felt that it fit right. It always felt disproportionate.

3. Are there any other classic (Round faced) alternatives that are worth considering? I am looking for something that looks and feels premium and can be used with both casual and formal wear.
Old 2nd April 2022, 22:51   #128
Senior - BHPian

Someone I know is coming from the US and I have the option to ask them to get the Apple Watch for myself. I’m a bit confused between getting the Apple Watch cellular or just the wifi version. I use an iPhone 12 on dual sim mode, with my personal number on Esim and the official number as a physical SIM card. And I usually carry my phone almost everywhere except on my weekend runs. So I actually don’t see the need for a cellular version, or is there any big benefit to the cellular version which I’m overlooking?

My usage would be not very regular, since I still love my G-Shocks and will continue to use them on a daily basis. So the Apple Watch may be relegated to occasional uses and probably weekend runs where I hope to ditch my phone completely and just have the watch and my AirPods.

I’m also due to travel to Dubai sometime next week, so would it make sense to buy it the Apple Watch 7 in Dubai or would it be still cheaper from the US?

Last edited by motorworks : 2nd April 2022 at 22:57.
Old 16th May 2022, 20:20   #129
BHPian

So yesterday I got myself the 'quintessential' smartwatch - Apple Watch Series 7!

The quintessential Apple Watch thread-42ddbce26e8247aca1b8db8b561c4920.jpg

I was contemplating on getting an Apple Watch since a long time. As a matter of fact, I am kinda smitten by the Apple products the time I switched to an iPhone, 5 years ago. However, the steep price of the flagship Apple Watches was kinda keeping me at bay. Finally managed to pick this one at a sweet deal (I think). There was this summer sale going on at Croma on majority of the Apple products which triggered the buying decision.

The deal
Model - Apple Watch Series 7 GPS - Midnight Aluminum
Apple Price - 44,990/-
Croma Price - 40,990/-
HDFC CC Cashback - 3,000/-

Final Landing Price - 37,990/-

I had initially planned on getting the SILVER / WHITE combo which used to come in the earlier series watches. However, Apple decided to stop those and ended up offering the STARLIGHT shade which is a bit off-white-ish. Didn't quite like it. Hence, finally picked the safe option of BLACK / GREY combo. Also, the black dial goes with majority of the band colours.

I even happened to check the price of this watch in on the Apple - UAE site and there wasn't much difference though. It is currently retailing for approx. 36,200/- (converted) on apple.ae. So I feel 38k in India ain't that bad, eh?

Overall, very happy with the purchase and with the first day of usage. The integration with iPhone is seamless (no surprises though). I am yet to explore all the features of the watch.

Just had a small query to the fellow owners regarding the battery life - I charged the watch to 100% this morning at 8am; and with a full day's regular usage without any special workout I ended up with a battery % of 65% by 7pm. Is this normal drain, coz I found it a bit high for a watch per se. Kindly excuse my question as this is my 1st smartwatch; hence, I don't have much idea about the same.

Also, do I need to get any form of tempered glass / case for the dial? I somehow like the clean look, but ain't quite sure if it's worth that risk!

If there's anything that I need to look into , please feel free to share.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 16th May 2022 at 20:25.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 20:32   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Just had a small query to the fellow owners regarding the battery life - I charged the watch to 100% this morning at 8am; and with a full day's regular usage without any special workout I ended up with a battery % of 65% by 7pm. Is this normal drain, coz I found it a bit high for a watch per se. Kindly excuse my question as this is my 1st smartwatch; hence, I don't have much idea about the same.
I don’t own an Apple Watch. But many people around me do and they charge the watch every day. So this battery drain seems to be normal.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 22:59   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
The deal
Model - Apple Watch Series 7 GPS - Midnight Aluminum
Apple Price - 44,990/-
Croma Price - 40,990/-
HDFC CC Cashback - 3,000/-

Final Landing Price - 37,990/-

I had initially planned on getting the SILVER / WHITE combo which used to come in the earlier series watches. However, Apple decided to stop those and ended up offering the STARLIGHT shade which is a bit off-white-ish. Didn't quite like it. Hence, finally picked the safe option of BLACK / GREY combo. Also, the black dial goes with majority of the band colours.

Also, do I need to get any form of tempered glass / case for the dial? I somehow like the clean look, but ain't quite sure if it's worth that risk!

If there's anything that I need to look into , please feel free to share.
Congratulations on the Apple Watch 7. It's a an amazing piece of technology and hope you will explore it's full features and enjoy it for a long time.

And, that's a fabulous price you got. At current rates, it works out to $490 and we typically get this on a deal at $375 here in US so not much of a difference.

I have an Apple Watch 6 (44MM) and pretty happy with the battery life which is roughly about 24 hours. And, as mentioned in my previous posts it gets charged from 0-100% in 60-90 mins maximum.

My wife switched from Fitbit to Apple Watch 7 (42MM) around 6-months ago.

She is super happy with the watch but, I note she charges more often than me.

I never paid attention but, not sure if its a software update or something else. But, let me check with her and update in a few days how long her watch battery lasts.

Also, please do not get any tempered glass as it mars the looks of the watch. I got it when I had my previous watch a couple of years ago and immediately discarded it in a few days. Since then, we never use any protection for the watch and all is good.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 12:46   #132
BHPian

I've got my wife Watch Series 6 a year and half ago. I've been waiting to jump into it but the only thing that's holding me back is it's battery life. I'm really hoping they bump it up for the next one.
Old 30th May 2022, 12:57   #133
BHPian

IMO we already have a plethora of devices that need to be charged daily. Buying an Apple watch, which simply doesn't have enough juice to pull through the week is in my opinion simply a waste of money. A normal analog watch (or at best a digital watch) is heads and shoulders above an Apple watch. However, as with most things that Apple makes, this watch too has become a status symbol in India.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th May 2022 at 13:46. Reason: Apply - Apple
kushagra452 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 23:53   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
IMO we already have a plethora of devices that need to be charged daily. Buying an Apple watch, which simply doesn't have enough juice to pull through the week is in my opinion simply a waste of money. A normal analog watch (or at best a digital watch) is heads and shoulders above an Apple watch. However, as with most things that Apple makes, this watch too has become a status symbol in India.
Actually I love my Gshocks and since I got my latest GW9400 around 6 months ago, I haven't touched my Samsung galaxy watch. Charging a watch every day or every alternate day is a big concern but wearing them in the rain is an even bigger concern. I also don't like the square form factor of AW. I'm an old fashioned guy and I love my Gshocks but truly speaking apple watch is probably the best smartwatch in the market and if one is using iPhone then its a no brainer.
Carpainter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 23:11   #135
Senior - BHPian

Apple announces the Apple Watch Series 8

- New temperature sensor
- New crash detection thru motion sensors
- New low power mode (up to 36 hours on 1 charge
- Apple Watch Series 8 Starting at $399, available Sept 16.

The quintessential Apple Watch thread-20220907_225420.jpg

The quintessential Apple Watch thread-20220907_225431.jpg

The quintessential Apple Watch thread-20220907_225437.jpg

The quintessential Apple Watch thread-20220907_225753.jpg

Apple Watch SE Starting at $249, available Sept 16

The quintessential Apple Watch thread-20220907_225458.jpg

Apple Watch Ultra priced at $799, available Sept 23.

Apple Watch Ultra is made for exploration, adventure and endurance and it has a ton of features for more extreme sports that the normal watch couldn’t keep up with

Larger, thicker 49mm titanium case
36-hour battery life
Dual-frequency GPS
New face and bands

The quintessential Apple Watch thread-20220907_230930.jpg

Last edited by Venkatesh : 7th September 2022 at 23:13.
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks