Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2022, 23:14   #196
BHPian

Re: The quintessential Apple Watch thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Apple watch does have settings to set thresholds for alerts and warnings. I have set for both unusually low as well as high BPM values and it does work fine. Some credit is due.
That’s right. Apple Watch has notifications for cardio fitness, irregular rhythm, high & low heart rate (both are configurable). One thing to remember is, these are disabled by default and many of us might miss them to enable.
Selective is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 23:59   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
This is probably not because OEMs are partial to Apple, but due to how Apple wants Apple CarPlay to interact with the vehicle. If you are on using an Android phone with Android Auto and navigation with Google Maps, the map shows up on both sides. In your case, Google Maps is on an iPhone and hence the limited compatibility.
Nope. in my BMW, even if you use an Android phone and use Android Auto, the google maps will NOT show up on HUD (Heads Up Display).

It will show up on HUD only if you are using Apple Car Play and iPhone. Or, the BMW Native navigation maps.

So, I think BMW has a more solid partnership with Apple than with Google.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Apple Watch owners - a crazy question

With all this monitoring of various health/body parameters, isn’t there a real danger of becoming a hypochondriac?
As you know, I have been using Apple Watch for several years.

I check the health statistics NEVER more than once a week- That is also because I review my weekly fitness data like sleep, steps, BPM, ECG pattern etc etc.... (initial days when AW is new, its a novelty to keep checking all features of watch every day).

When the new watch novelty dies down, you may probably slip to the weekly checking habit.

If something goes wrong, AW is anyway supposed to give you a notification.Touchwood, I never got one and would like it to remain that way.

I don't depend on the Apple Watch to tell me what is going wrong with my health. I will rely on my own body instincts, regular check ups and what my doctor tells me.

Please buy the watch for its overall features and not just for it's health stats offerings. Just my 2 cents

Last edited by mobike008 : 9th October 2022 at 00:01.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 08:55   #198
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
With all this monitoring of various health/body parameters, isn’t there a real danger of becoming a hypochondriac?
The whole market for wearables and fitness trackers and all, is built on the premise that with the huge increase in lifestyle related diseases, people are becoming well and truly more and more health conscious. Further, in keeping with the increasing needs of ‘instant information’ (like instant gratification), it is necessary for the manufacturers of these wearables to be constantly relentlessly innovative and accurate with their sensors and readings and all.

Yes, in a way, everyone is to some extent, in danger of becoming a bit of a hypochondriac. There is so much more information available instantly to one, in today’s world. Google Baba himself has so many answers for almost any symptom or ailment that one may think that one is experiencing.

As I have described earlier, the monitoring system and alarm system has helped me to an immeasurable degree. But this has not (luckily) turned me into someone who is perpetually obsessed with health and monitoring the readings and parameters to the point of OCD.

I have personally never felt the need to constantly be monitoring all the health parameters, but it’s nice to know that should one need to or want to, at any time, for any reason whatsoever, the option to check, is right there on one’s wrist. In my case, once in a week or ten days or so, it’s nice to know that the Blood Oxygen levels are well saturated and that one’s old ‘ticker’ is still ticking along nicely.

However, saying all of the above, I do definitely like to check on my ‘workouts and activity monitoring readings’ around three or four times a day. So that I can check the readings on steps taken and exercising and other routines.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 09:18   #199
Team-BHP Support

The new SE- 40mm is already on discount at Amazon. Is it good watch for kids?
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 09:48   #200
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
The new SE- 40mm is already on discount at Amazon. Is it good watch for kids?
Those are the last generation SE’s which are 40mm. The new SE’s are 41mm.
Like the Series 7 was 44mm and the Series 8 is 45mm.
Apple measures their watches vertically top to bottom across the face/ case unlike all other manufacturers who measure their watches diagonally across the face/ case.

In the watch world there is always some level of production constraint based on case shapes, case sizes and the MOQ’s thereof. So the forecasting has to be pretty accurate in order to be efficient.
Old 9th October 2022, 09:55   #201
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Is this not the second generation? I paid 25K for each

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
The quintessential Apple Watch thread-screenshot-20221009-9.56.31-am.png  

Last edited by Turbanator : 9th October 2022 at 09:57.
Old 9th October 2022, 09:58   #202
BANNED

Quote:
Is this not the second generation? I paid 25K for each

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I think the latest SE is 3rd Gen. I dont think they’ll discount it within one month of global release.
Check the box for date of import etc. That should shed proper light.
Old 9th October 2022, 10:05   #203
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
I think the latest SE is 3rd Gen. I dont think they’ll discount it within one month of global release.
Check the box for date of import etc. That should shed proper light.
No, it's the current generation only. Sep 22 import and there is no 41mm or 3rd generation SE yet. Series 8 is 41.

Amazon has changed the prices, I got two at discounts the day before. I don't see those prices now
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 12:04   #204
BANNED

Quote:
No, it's the current generation only. Sep 22 import and there is no 41mm or 3rd generation SE yet. Series 8 is 41.

Amazon has changed the prices, I got two at discounts the day before. I don't see those prices now
There are offers generally going on - some sponsored by apple, some by the retailers like Tresor or Imagine or I Store and of course some by Amazon/ Appario Retail. Most of these are in conjunction with either HDFC or AMEX.
Its great that you got a price off on the new SE watch. I also took that deal from HDFC on the Ultra.
The good thing is that since these are Apple Offers, they give you the benefit on the gross bill value including the taxes portion, which in fact HDFC Smartbuy does not do.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 12:37   #205
BHPian

Quote:
There are offers generally going on - some sponsored by apple, some by the retailers like Tresor or Imagine or I Store and of course some by Amazon/ Appario Retail. Most of these are in conjunction with either HDFC or AMEX.
After being a slient observer in this thread, i finally bit into it and went ahead picking up the Series 8 Watch. I did not opt for the Ultra as somehow i was not much convinced about the value for my use case. I was on a fitbit for close to 5 years and then moved on to Garmin. Unfortunately, i lost the Vivoactive 4 in the first flight after 2 years of hiatus. I somehow had lost the art of checking in and clearing security without losing anything !!!. I then got a Huawei GT2Pro which is rock solid device minus a lot of smartwatch features. It does the basics very well and has an amazing battery life.

In the end, i am hitting a milestone in my life within the next 30 days and so i decided to splurge on the Series 8 Watch. I had read the experiences here and i do realize that with Apple products, once you taste them you will almost never shift to anything else.

I bought it from Imagine store and got a cash back on HDFC CC. Beyond that they did not offer any discount. Overall the experience at the store was brilliant. My wife tried to exchange her Series 3 , but the price stated was 3k and we thought it was not worth it
subraiyr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 12:46   #206
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
After being a slient observer in this thread, i finally bit into it and went ahead picking up the Series 8 Watch.

Unfortunately, i lost the Vivoactive 4 in the first flight after 2 years of hiatus. I somehow had lost the art of checking in and clearing security without losing anything !!!.

In the end, i am hitting a milestone in my life within the next 30 days and so i decided to splurge on the Series 8 Watch.

had read the experiences here and i do realize that with Apple products, once you taste them you will almost never shift to anything else.

I bought it from Imagine store and got a cash back on HDFC CC. Beyond that they did not offer any discount. Overall the experience at the store was brilliant. My wife tried to exchange her Series 3 , but the price stated was 3k and we thought it was not worth it
1. The series 8 is an excellent watch and has everything the Ultra has, except the siren and a few other things including that tough go anywhere nature and durability. But it weighs in at half the price and for a normal day to day user, it is a very good choice.

2. It is absolutely miserable the way they make you remove all these accoutrements at security. And Bangalore airport security conveyor belt system is so terribly bad, that there are likely always delays and losses.

3. Congrats on your milestone! And am sure the Apple Watch Series 8 will be a fitting reward.

4. Yes. Like Eve in the Garden of Eden. Thankfully there are no Serpents hanging about other than the credit card company. Jokes apart, Apple products are highly addictive and their UI and UX and Aesthetics are just simply so much better than any competing product.

5. The guys at the Imagine stores are good. No doubt. But Apple is giving better deals on their website.

6. It’s not worth trying to sell off the old watch. Best give it away inside the family circle.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 22:37   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After being a slient observer in this thread, i finally bit into it and went ahead picking up the Series 8 Watch. I did not opt for the Ultra as somehow i was not much convinced about the value for my use case.
Congrats on your Apple Watch 8. Now it's time to throw away your beautiful traditional watches as you will never go back to them.

Good decision on buying the Apple Watch 8. Even though I am slowly veering towards fitness but, I didn't see any use-case for me personally for the Ultra at a 2X price point. I will probably buy that when I can compete with Lance Armstrong or Eddy Merck which may never happen in the next decade.

Quote:
In the end, i am hitting a milestone in my life within the next 30 days and so i decided to splurge on the Series 8 Watch.
Congrats on your upcoming milestone and hope the Apple Watch 8 keeps you motivated for bringing more fitness into your life as it did for mine.

Example from Yesterday on my Apple Watch 6 :

The quintessential Apple Watch thread-img_9372.jpg

Quote:
I had read the experiences here and i do realize that with Apple products, once you taste them you will almost never shift to anything else.
Well, Cyborg and I take some of that blame. We love everything Apple and I noticed off-late, Shankar Balan has also joined our bandwagon.

Jokes aside, Yes, once you experience Apple and its smooth UI experience and tight integration with other products in its eco-system. It's hard to go back to anything else.

Cheers & Enjoy !!

Last edited by vb-saan : 11th October 2022 at 07:32. Reason: AW to Apple Watch, Thank you!
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 00:50   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Example from Yesterday on my Apple Watch 6.

Well, Cyborg and I take some of that blame. We love everything Apple and I noticed off-late, Shankar Balan has also joined our band-wagon.
Since more and more people are noticing our modest Apple promotional campaign we are inching closer to getting a commission from Tim Cook and perhaps we may have to cut Shankar in as well

Mobike please explain the parameters on your watch face. What have you enabled to get this screen? Thank you.

Cheers

Last edited by vb-saan : 11th October 2022 at 07:32. Reason: Quoted post edited
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 01:52   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since more and more people are noticing our modest Apple promotional campaign we are inching closer to getting a commission from Tim Cook and perhaps we may have to cut Shankar in as well

Mobike please explain the parameters on your watch face. What have you enabled to get this screen? Thank you.

Cheers
This is not a watch face, it is a workout face. If you have any workout on (walking, running, cycling etc) it will show on the watch.

That said I finished 2 days wearing my Apple Watch Ultra with the battery now at 33%. Not bad
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 06:26   #210
Senior - BHPian

That's awesome . Must be the first on our forum. Did you post the pictures?
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
That said I finished 2 days wearing my Apple Watch Ultra with the battery now at 33%. Not bad

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks