Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2007, 15:44   #46
BHPian

I won't buy the Iphone in States for one reason - No 3G..Cingular has covered most of the urban areas in States with their UMTS 850/1900MHz services..it's the technology of the future,and am sure by 2008,when this gets launched in India,3G would surely be common in India too..so,people might refrain from going for this phone..ofcourse unless mobile Internet/Email/music downloads isn't of much concern to you..
The look of this model and the dimension seem amazing..let's see how the OS works..and whether it's fast.

cheers,
-sr
Old 10th January 2007, 18:08   #47
Team-BHP Support

2008? oh man this really is bad. i guess ill have to buy it from abroad. but finding unlocked ones are a pain. the phone looks really good but the only problem is its length which is 4.5inches. i bit too big i think. and 8gb mem and only 135gms.
Old 10th January 2007, 19:36   #48
BHPian

looks cool to me...by the time they launch here in India, they would include 3G.
Old 10th January 2007, 21:02   #49
Senior - BHPian

Now that the excitement surrounding the Iphone has died down

+ves

Superb Design
4/8 GB Storage
Easy to use
No Stylus
No Keys
Standard Ear phone Plug
Wifi
Bluetooth
Thin
Sure to become really popular
Simple UI
Good Power Management
Huge Screen
Unlock Process
Visual Voice Mail

-ves

No 3G
Expensive
No Stylus
No Keys
Quite Big
Late Entry in Asia
Wont be easily repairable
GPS

=
2mp camera

After seeing the keynote address by the Apple CEO I think I have understood this product a bit better. Its not really aimed at the office crowd like Hydrashok said but is more aimed at young crowd. The main strengths of this device are its excellent UI and superb design. The phone looks really nice and clean and unlike anything iv ever seen before. However there is nothing revolutionary about this product. It is a definite improvement over other phones but wont "change phones forever". Im a bit concerned about using the keyboard. It is definitly a big screen but finding the right key on tht keyboard still seems a bit tough. Also at $599(with a 2 year contract) this phone is really expensive and a few more features would be expected. If 3g and GPS could be integrated it would be nice. But that would reduce battery life, and increase the price and weight of this unit. While the price was being announced the apple ceo talked about how people would buy an ipod and a business phone and therefore would charge users the price of an ipod AND a business phone for the 4gb model and a $100 premium for the 8gb model. I completely disagree with this justifcation. Havign a seperate Ipod also means havign a seperate battery a seperate screen, basically a seperate unit. I agree that this unit does have some really good features and charging a premium can be justified, however using this justifcation doesnt make sence to me. However I would pay upto 30k for a simfree version of this cellphone and would really really like having one. Waiting until 2008 for one does however kinda piss me off.

PS: there was something in the address about the iphone being available in Apple stores. Does this mean a sim-free version will be available also?
Old 10th January 2007, 23:06   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
PS: there was something in the address about the iphone being available in Apple stores. Does this mean a sim-free version will be available also?
This is something that's confusing me too. The fact that Apple will be selling this phone directly through Apple Stores (in addition to Cingular's stores) was mentioned. There was also a specific mention that they would be selling the phone without any premium, in the Apple Stores.

Jobs did mention that Cingular would be their "exclusive" partner in the US. And nowhere is it mentioned that the iPhone to be sold through Apple Stores will be unlocked, or sim-free. The phone is quadband, so it should run everywhere and on all networks if it is available sim-free. If Cingular is to be the "exclusive" partner in the US, the phones are only likely to be sold locked to Cingular.

That means we'll have to wait for a proper Asia launch to get our paws on one of these. Or for somebody to figure-out how to unlock the phone.

Apparently Apple has required that Cingular offer no discounts on the iPhone (Cingular has already signing up customers for the iPhone) -- Source Engadget.
Old 11th January 2007, 00:05   #51
BHPian

@Khanak and Hyrdashok - Apple Stores will carry the Phone but when you buy it you will have to sign up for Cingular Service as well. Or it will be locked and you need to take it to the cingular store and have service activated. This has happened before - RitzCamera and Compusa, a camera store and a computer store started carrying the Nokia N90 exclusively in the US. I beleive the price with 2 year service was $500 or so. But you could use it only with Tmobile and when you bought the phone - had to take it to the Tmobile store to get a sim and sign your life away for 2 years.
Old 11th January 2007, 10:25   #52
Senior - BHPian

The scene is hotting up! Cisco and Apple were all bhai-bhai till yesterday about the iPhone TM. There was some agreement about Apple's use of the TM on the cards. But now Cisco has gone ballistic and has sued Apple over Apple's use of the "iPhone" TM.

Source: Cisco sues Apple for trademark infringement: ruh roh! - Engadget

This should be fun.

But I don't think it will make much difference to the Apple lemmings. After all, a rose by any name...
Old 11th January 2007, 10:28   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Steeroid,

I switched from the O2 Atom to the Sony 990i becuase I needed a numeric keypad. Now O2 has the stealth. It is really an Atom with a keppad becuase funnily I think my O2 Atom was MORE stable than the 990i!

Try the new software upgrade. My 990i feels more stable after the upgarde.
I have R9EA001 on it.
Old 11th January 2007, 10:30   #54
Team-BHP Support

Yeah just read that. Apple aren't really that bothered as the iphone name has been used by other companies as well.

Cisco is just filing a lawsuit to make a quick buck.

But the hype has died down a little and this iphone has quite a few shortcomings.

As usual the one thing i hate about apple products is the battery. Even in this it's a sealed battery which is not user replaceable.

Also no memory expansion slot.

these are pretty big drawbacks. nowadays people keep spare batterys to make sure they never run out of juice.
Old 11th January 2007, 10:55   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Cisco is just filing a lawsuit to make a quick buck.

You bet!

And there's another spin on this. We all saw how Apple stock shot up like a rocket even as the Keynote was being given. This will prolly drop Apple stock quite a bit so "interested parties" can buy up on it. Then they announce that there is no problem, we were just kidding because Jobs didn't smile when we saw him last; All's settled; Apple can use the iPhone TM as much as they like.

The stock will go through the roof after that, won't it?

As you can see, I love cooking up Conspiracy Theories.

Last edited by hydrashok : 11th January 2007 at 11:01.
Old 11th January 2007, 10:57   #56
Senior - BHPian

Rumour Alert!!!

Rumor: 3G iPhone Coming - Gizmodo

Quote:
According to an engineer who worked on the network/radio for the iPhone, there's a good reason Apple didn't have 3G in this iteration of the iPhone. He says less than 1% of Cingular customers have HSDPA capability—it's only available in a dozen or so markets. Plus, the engineer says the target users wouldn't know the difference anyway. Great confidence in the consumer, even if it's sorta true. BUT, and this is the most important point, Apple's already designed a 3G version that's "in the works" with the FCC. 3G lovers may want to hold out for iPhone version 2.

Maybe this is why they need another year to get the iPhone to Asia. Launch it in Korea and Japan without 3G, and they will have to eat crow.
Old 11th January 2007, 12:54   #57
BHPian

Lets see what MS does to copy this
Old 11th January 2007, 15:50   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi_k View Post
a zune phone?? lets see what they do.
Old 11th January 2007, 17:23   #59
Senior - BHPian

Why iPhone will work, and won't? -Hardware-Infotech-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

some techy journo!
Old 11th January 2007, 17:32   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi_k View Post
Why do they have to copy? All Smartphones and PocketPCs in the market, including the iMates, Qteks, O2s, TMobile MDAs and various other models like Dopod (hot in Asia!), Eten, Torq.....are all Microsoft Driven.

They can do pretty much everything that this iPhone can do - on paper. And MS released Windows Mobile back in 2000.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks