Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2015, 10:31   #2761
BHPian

re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
I had a similar experience with them. For the amount of money they charge, the quality wrt fit and finish is nothing short of bull***. I exchanged the first one as they had the THICK lenses(my power is -4.5 and I know how high index glasses are)while I paid for thin lenses...
Thanks for sharing this. Was seriously considering ordering from Lenskart. Will stay away from them.
Old 3rd February 2015, 14:50   #2762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Thanks for sharing this. Was seriously considering ordering from Lenskart. Will stay away from them.
I have had a good experience with lenscart. I ordered for reading glasses which I am very happy with and I am first time user.

My wife had to return the glasses but the replacement was prompt and she too is now a satisfied customer.
Old 3rd February 2015, 16:18   #2763
BHPian

Quote:
Please dont disregard them, I believe in multiple chances. As evidenced below, they do provide good service,just that I was unlucky, twice!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
I have had a good experience with lenscart. I ordered for reading glasses which I am very happy with and I am first time user.

My wife had to return the glasses but the replacement was prompt and she too is now a satisfied customer.
Old 4th February 2015, 04:48   #2764
BHPian

The online shopping experience gets into real experience only when you face delivery issues or need to approach them for returns,refunds etc.

Having a bad time with Amazon on my 3rd order to them. I have been using online shoopping since baazee time (now Ebay) and was considering myself as one of the luckiest who never had to face any issues.

Amazon taught me the problems associated with delayed delivery.

Ordered one item on 25th January. Items gets to their transporation (courier) department by 28th and out for delivery from that day. Yesterday I got an update that item is getting returned to Amazon,as they can't deliver.

During past 4-5 days, I spoke with at least 5-6 customer executives and courier contacts.Even spoke with a floor manager of call centre. I'm amazed at the way they deal a delayed delivery.First 2 orders got deliverd within the stipulated time. There is no change in address or any additional dog/security/gates or anything added to my home.But somehow they have a delivery issue.

Now as the package is in its way back to Amazon, they are not able to do anything than refund (that is what their "so called foor manager" told me)

There seems big communication gap between guys on field delivering items and their call centre. Else an order placed on 25th and out for delivery from 28th won't take this much effort.Even after repeated assurances of "within 24 hours" from each of the persons whom I spoke with I never got the package.

I've placed another order for same item and waiting for next round of customer support.
Will order few more on COD and see if they can spot my home again.
Old 4th February 2015, 21:15   #2765
Distinguished - BHPian

Can I order something from Amazon.com in USA and get it shipped to India? Thinking of picking up Bose Soundlink mini speakers which cost 17k here but are only $199 in the US. Any idea how much will be the courier charges and customs duty, if any? Or is it not feasible and I rather buy them from here itself?
Old 4th February 2015, 21:20   #2766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Can I order something from Amazon.com in USA and get it shipped to India? Thinking of picking up Bose Soundlink mini speakers which cost 17k here but are only $199 in the US. Any idea how much will be the courier charges and customs duty, if any? Or is it not feasible and I rather buy them from here itself?
http://ppobox.com/calculator2.aspx
Get a quote from them.
Old 4th February 2015, 23:05   #2767
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can I order something from Amazon.com in USA and get it shipped to India?
Log in to Amazon.com (register first if necessary: I can't remember if one's account is international by default). When they have your address, you will see statements like "This item does not ship to Delhi, India." --- or that it does.
Old 4th February 2015, 23:43   #2768
BANNED

Just add it to Cart.
Go to cart.
Estimate shipping and tax
Voila
Old 5th February 2015, 00:47   #2769
BHPian

Quote:
Can I order something from Amazon.com in USA and get it shipped to India? Thinking of picking up Bose Soundlink mini speakers which cost 17k here but are only $199 in the US.
Yes you can ship to India on Amazon.com. The login account on Amazon is global and works on all their international sites. The total cost with shipping will show up at checkout.

Also try eBay Global Easy Buy. Here the vendor takes care of importing the product and shipping to your address. That way customs issues are resolved by vendor.

As for the Bose soundlink mini there is less than 5k difference between the US price and India. The final difference after shipping will be much lower. For that amount you will lose warranty, unless $199 includes international warranty. Think about it.
Old 5th February 2015, 01:00   #2770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes you can. Just that you would have to pay additional customs duty over the Amazon final price you see.

I paid 275 USD for my DVR and around 30 USD for shipping. TNT showed me receipts of 1.9K INR as customs duty which has to be paid in cash at the time of delivery.
Old 5th February 2015, 01:42   #2771
Distinguished - BHPian

Amazon's own international shipping scheme, when applicable, also takes care of customs. They charge an estimated amount in the order, and refund if it does not all have to be paid.

There is usually a choice of shipping methods, and the faster ones can be more expensive than the item one is purchasing! I've bought a couple of small things recently, standard delivery, and they both arrived several days before the estimated delivery date. They were trackable too.
Old 5th February 2015, 06:23   #2772
BHPian

Quote:
i've returned lenses that I felt were too thick for the high index that they mentioned on their site. They are extremely good in honouring their site promises. I have also got a free refund for a frame that broke 5 months after purchase. They honored their warranty. I do not think you will get this instore anywhere in India. I have been purchasing from them for about 2 year now I think. My daughter has high power -10 SPH and -2.5CYL. I got her Oakley glasses with free Kodak lenses for 5k. On checking in some of the larger stores that sell Oakley, the minimum quote I received was 8k but for the high power they were saying it would go upto 18k. Her power keeps changing every 6 months and I find Lenskart very VFM in my situation. I've also purchased a pair of Oakley for myself -4.5SPH and progressive lenses alone for my wife, bi-focals with frame for my mom and their price is unbeatable.
Some of their plasticky frames are not very durable, I suggest you choose the steel or titanium frames for longevity.

I earlier used to buy from the US for all of us in the family (since 2004), but since the advent of Lenskart, have redirected all my purchases to them.
Old 5th February 2015, 07:48   #2773
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can I order something from Amazon.com in USA and get it shipped to India? Thinking of picking up Bose Soundlink mini speakers which cost 17k here but are only $199 in the US. Any idea how much will be the courier charges and customs duty, if any?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Log in to Amazon.com (register first if necessary: I can't remember if one's account is international by default). When they have your address, you will see statements like "This item does not ship to Delhi, India." --- or that it does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Amazon's own international shipping scheme, when applicable, also takes care of customs. They charge an estimated amount in the order, and refund if it does not all have to be paid.
Thad's advice is spot-on. You Amazon.in credentials are good for Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk also (haven't tried other countries). I've purchased multiple items from Amazon.com and have been fully impressed.

For instance, I picked up an $80 tablet, shipping & handling came to $9.70, import fees was estimated at $27.72, but about 8 weeks after placing the order, $13.32 was refunded. The item itself arrived around 8-10 days after placing the order.

Some general advice:
  • I prefer Amazon-fulfilled items, which are captioned 'Ships from and sold by Amazon.com' on the product page, and appear as 'Sold by: Amazon Export Sales, Inc.' on the order summary. These are shipped internationally by either FedEx or Aramex (in my experience) but also others.
  • As an aside, one wonders why they don't leverage Amazon.in's delivery network for the last-mile shipping.
  • Choose the cheapest shipping option, the faster ones get really expensive!
  • Finally, when paying, there's an option to pay either in Indian rupees or USD. Choose the USD option, because I've heard and seen that the conversion rate used by Amazon.com is slightly higher than that used by your credit card. By choosing to pay in USD, your credit card issuing bank's conversion rate will be used.

On a more relevant note, I think you're looking at this product. Sadly, Amazon themselves don't ship this to India. There's only one seller 'Adorama Camera' who appears to do international shipping, but they're charging an eye-watering $77 for the same. At that price, its no longer cheaper to buy this from Amazon.com.

If you're not in a hurry, I'd suggest you add this item to your Amazon.com wishlist so you can follow up later to see if there's an Amazon fulfilled option.
Old 5th February 2015, 07:51   #2774
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thad E Ginathom : Log in to Amazon.com (register first if necessary: I can't remember if one's account is international by default).
user accounts on Amazon sites are site-specific. I have an old Amazon.com id (US), but had to register separately for UK and India.

Of late, the advantage of buying on Amazon.com using India based cards is negated due to additional charges.

On another note, Amazon India looks good. I have been able to return items and get refund quickly too.
Old 5th February 2015, 07:52   #2775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
user accounts on Amazon sites are site-specific. I have an old Amazon.com id (US), but had to register separately for UK and India.
This isn't the case for me. I have had an Amazon.com account since 2008, I'm using the same for the Indian site now

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks