Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2015, 09:02   #2776
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Thanks for all the responses. The deal doesn't make any sense after factoring in the shipping and customs costs. I would rather buy from India.
Old 5th February 2015, 13:44   #2777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
user accounts on Amazon sites are site-specific. I have an old Amazon.com id (US), but had to register separately for UK and India.
I have registered on Amazon only once, back in '05 or so in the UK site. That registration is usable on the US and IN versions. They sync a lot of information (payment methods, shipping addresses) but don't sync a lot other information (wishlists, orders). The same registration is usable on AWS but not on their acquired properties (IMDb, Goodreads).
Old 5th February 2015, 15:11   #2778
Senior - BHPian

I really cant digest how a discount of 15,000 can be given for a product with MRP 45,000. Can anybody throw some light into discount pricing at online sites?

http://www.amazon.in/HealthSense-Ele.../dp/B00RYZRX6S
vs
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/heal...ger/2129471026

Even the same seller at snapdeal sells at the discounted price in amazon.in.
Old 5th February 2015, 16:15   #2779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I really cant digest how a discount of 15,000 can be given for a product with MRP 45,000. Can anybody throw some light into discount pricing at online sites?

http://www.amazon.in/HealthSense-Ele.../dp/B00RYZRX6S
vs
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/heal...ger/2129471026

Even the same seller at snapdeal sells at the discounted price in amazon.in.
MRP is a long running scam, online business will seriously disrupt the average retailer who sells the good at the printed price. Two weeks ago, I bought a bulb for my car at 1000 bucks a piece, if that sounds expensive for a hatch, get this, the printed price was 2250/-, the seller got his margin at 40%, MRP is just a sticker, not a good reference for actual prices. The Chinese products sold online are sometimes marked up by atleast 200%, discounting that is easy.
Old 5th February 2015, 16:41   #2780
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Thad's advice is spot-on. You Amazon.in credentials are good for Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk also (haven't tried other countries). I've purchased multiple items from Amazon.com and have been fully impressed.
Quote:
user accounts on Amazon sites are site-specific. I have an old Amazon.com id (US), but had to register separately for UK and India.
It is so long since I "joined" the various sites that I am not sure, but I know this: my account details, including delivery addresses and payment card details are available on .uk .in or .com. I can even use my British card on Amazon.in, which (at least currently) I can't do on flipkart. As my gadget fund is from my tiny UK nestegg, this is very convenient (although FX rates are now unfavourable).

My ebay membership is gone. There was a time when we all had to change our passwords. Every time I try, their mail[s] just don't arrive. ebay is my least favourite source anyway. I guess I have to set up a new account, if and when.

Crossposted with binand, who says it all better ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I have registered on Amazon only once, back in '05 or so in the UK site. That registration is usable on the US and IN versions. They sync a lot of information (payment methods, shipping addresses) but don't sync a lot other information (wishlists, orders). The same registration is usable on AWS but not on their acquired properties (IMDb, Goodreads).

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 5th February 2015 at 16:44.
Old 7th February 2015, 09:07   #2781
J.Ravi

Yesterday, I ordered Draper hex key set with amazon.co.uk with the estimated delivery during 20 - 24 Feb 2015. When I tried ₹ option, it showed the total cost as ₹ 3,642.29 including shipping to India and customs duty deposit. Then, I opted for GBP currency option and I was charged ₹ 3,583.97. My past experience shows that major part of the customs duty deposit collected will get refunded to my credit card account after delivery. This is the third Draper tool kit I ordered from amazon.co.uk.

Old 7th February 2015, 10:42   #2782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Yesterday, I ordered Draper hex key set with amazon.co.uk with the estimated delivery during 20 - 24 Feb 2015. When I tried ₹ option, it showed the total cost as ₹ 3,642.29 including shipping to India and customs duty deposit. Then, I opted for GBP currency option and I was charged ₹ 3,583.97.
Hi Ravi, My understanding is that when you use your credit card overseas and when faced with choice of customers local currency or the retailers currency, it is recommended that one chooses the retailers currency(local currency) because when you choose to pay in the buyer's currency, you could be ripped off by the merchant or the merchants bank by application of a preferential exchange rate. At the same time if you were to pay in the merchants local currency, the rate of exchange would be as per Visa or Mastercard which probably could be the best rate in market.
Old 7th February 2015, 14:12   #2783
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday, I ordered Draper hex key set with amazon.co.uk ... ... ... This is the third Draper tool kit I ordered from amazon.co.uk.
Draper make good budget-price tools that can be expected to last a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Hi Ravi, My understanding is that when you use your credit card overseas and when faced with choice of customers local currency or the retailers currency, it is recommended that one chooses the retailers currency(local currency) because when you choose to pay in the buyer's currency, you could be ripped off by the merchant or the merchants bank by application of a preferential exchange rate. At the same time if you were to pay in the merchants local currency, the rate of exchange would be as per Visa or Mastercard which probably could be the best rate in market.
I've never really studied the pros and cons of this card/currency business. I figure that if I want to buy something and I can, with payment coming from a particular source, then stuff like exchange rates adds or subtracts a marginal cost, but is unavoidable. I doubt, though, that card-company exchange rates are good for us: the card companies think first of their own revenue.

My gadget fund is in GBP. Life has forced me to spend substantial amounts of it recently on local rupee-priced stuff for the house. A pound only buys 93 or 94 Rs now, compared to 100-plus just a few months ago. I'm not even going to think about what that has cost me: too painful!
Old 7th February 2015, 21:35   #2784
BHPian

Quote:
That's odd. My old US Amazon ID (from when they started) works in India and the US. I buy from the US site periodically and have my bro, who lives there, bring the stuff to me when he visits India. My profile still shows my US shipping addresses as well as my India address.
Old 8th February 2015, 19:14   #2785
BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday, o.uk.
Dear Ravi,
If you are using cards issued in India, they all charge 3% for foreign currency transaction.
And Amazon by showing price in local currency ie ₹ inclueds all charges and may turn out to be lesser, as they mention at site.

One can always add different address, also am not sure as some sites want the billing and shipping address to be the same.
Old 11th February 2015, 13:49   #2786
BHPian

Hey BHPians,

Has anyone ordered inline skates online ever? Can you guys please guide me here? My son (5 1/2 yr old) has been asked to upgrade his current inline skates. He is using micro inline skates currently and has now been advised to upgrade to inline speed skates of any of these brands: Luigino / Viva / Cityrunners / Boom / Bond

Tried looking up all over on Google. Only one website from US seems to be able to deliver here in India, but then I have been told that delivery is not a guarantee as it might get stuck in customs etc

Or if anyone of you have any idea where can I find this in shops (in and around Mumbai)? Most of the sports equipment shops I checked don't stock these skates.
Old 15th February 2015, 11:36   #2787
Distinguished - BHPian

http://www.autotrends.in/osram-night...eid=32bb641690

Good deal on autotrends on Osram bulbs.
Old 15th February 2015, 12:12   #2788
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
Has anyone ordered inline skates online ever? Can you guys please guide me here? My son (5 1/2 yr old) has been asked to upgrade his current inline skates. He is using micro inline skates currently and has now been advised to upgrade to inline speed skates of any of these brands: Luigino / Viva / Cityrunners / Boom / Bond

Tried looking up all over on Google. Only one website from US seems to be able to deliver here in India, but then I have been told that delivery is not a guarantee as it might get stuck in customs etc
Amazon.com has some of these brands listed, and ship to India, see here. They take care of customs, so there won't be any hassles.
Old 15th February 2015, 12:16   #2789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
http://www.autotrends.in/osram-night...eid=32bb641690

Good deal on autotrends on Osram bulbs.

But I got the same thing locally for Rs-1,300.
Old 15th February 2015, 13:37   #2790

I have had a good experience with these online purchase sites, for Automobile related accessories:

http://www.autofresh.in/
http://www.tolexo.com/
http://www.jazzmyride.com/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks