Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2015, 17:18   #3301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
My son started to wear glasses when he was 12. The doctor advised the power should be checked once in 6 months, or at least once a year till he is 20.

I just don't want to spend Rs 10k or so only to have it changed the next year. His power has already changed twice in the last four years.
I have gone through the same since I was 15. Though now that I ride too, I maintain 2 pairs of glasses. One is photo chromatic for day use and another is plain but with anti glare for driving in the night.

Also my doctor advised to maintain 2 pairs since I was young and that has stuck with me.
Old 29th May 2015, 17:30   #3302
Senior - BHPian

re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
No. Prescription sunglasses are made to order by a sunglass manufacturer at a special cost.
This is what I wanted to know. Didn't know that such a beast existed. Thanks.

Quote:
Photochromatic lenses are what we call "day and night" lenses
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I also need progressive lenses, bought one in 2011-12 for 12,000 but it was a total waste of money.
Yes, I am aware of photochromatic lenses (wore them for about 4 years). My myopia over the past 30 years went from -0.5 to the present -7. In fact now I need to wear separate glasses for near and distant vision - for which I tried progressive (nearly 20K back in 2010) but couldn't get used to them, contact lenses but those were irritating to the eyes, bifocals which the wife vetoed and presently, two separate pairs of specs. I even went through all the preliminary tests for lasik (but eventually chickened out on the morning of the surgery day). Since I need the distant vision one only while driving, that pair pretty much stays in my car though.

Quote:
My son will use the photochromatic glasses mainly while going out in the hot sun. They sure are not sunglasses, but they are a lot better than plain lenses while going out, and he is glad of that!
The reason I ditched photochromatics was that they severely impaired my (corrected) vision during night-time. Probably it is person-specific and you have taken the advise of your son's ophthalmologist (and not just an optometrician). For my son (who started on glasses about 2 years back and is now at -3.5) I have chosen not to go for them.
Old 29th May 2015, 20:21   #3303
Distinguished - BHPian

My experience of photochromatic lenses is that they have a minimum tint, and possible, a range of darkening too. I have had, and my wife currently has, such glasses that are completely clear in moderate light. In fact, it goes too far with Mrs G's pair: they require very strong light to darken, and, at first, she didn't believe that they were photochromatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I've been using bigbasket.com for quite some time to order groceries online.

On my latest purchase, I noticed that they don't seem to want me to order any sugar. Check the "about" section.

Such concern for my health warms my heart I tell you.

Wonderful.

I once heard it suggested that if sugar was a new, modern discovery, it would be banned!

(I'm an addict, though)
Old 29th May 2015, 21:26   #3304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I would seriously suggest that he tries out contact lenses - my power increased over the years from -1.25 to -5.00 over six odd years and stopped only after shifting to contact lenses.
Can he wear them at 15 years? Some people say he should be a few years older. Currently his power is -2 spherical in both eyes, -1 cylinder in right, -0.75 in left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Also my doctor advised to maintain 2 pairs since I was young and that has stuck with me.
I too keep one pair as spare for my son. My own idea, since he was 12 when he started, and one never knows when he will break a pair. Things may get difficult for a couple of days without a spare.

I wear only ready made readers (+2.25 in both eyes), but keep three or four of them around, one each at home, office, car and bike! Ditto with my sunglasses - always at least three pairs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Probably it is person-specific and you have taken the advise of your son's ophthalmologist (and not just an optometrician).
No I have not, with either. Is there a need to specifically ask?

Last edited by Gansan : 29th May 2015 at 21:31.
Old 29th May 2015, 23:33   #3305
BHPian

Got my exchange iPhone 4s 8gb in return for my 5 year old iPhone 4 at rs8144.00 from flipkart.
Am happy for the following - new hardware, warranty, latest iOS, about 4gb space free on arrival, got rid of old phone with display colors messed up, manufactured Mar 15...
All in all a good deal.
Old 30th May 2015, 11:55   #3306
BHPian

Recently I had a very bad experience with Amazon India.

Ordered a Shengshou 3x3x3 Cube (Black) from Amazon. Placed the order with a Delhi based seller. He was not an Amazon Fulfilled seller but he had 100% +ve feedback. That was the mistake I did.

When the item arrived, I was dismayed. Contrary to the Amazon standards, it came is a very cheap cardboard packing, . When I opened the package, I was shocked. They had sent me a substandard item that is not even worth Rs.50/-. No branding, it was made of cheap plastic and it doesn't move freely. I have ordered a black piece but got a white one!

The Online Shopping Thread-20150505-11.32.12.jpg
Just this packing. Nothing else.

The Online Shopping Thread-20150505-11.21.52.jpg
Ordered a Shengshou Cube. See what I got!

The Online Shopping Thread-20150505-11.26.45.jpg
Sticker had scratches on it..

I have registered a complaint with Amazon. Lately, the seller called me and argued that it is not a substandard item and the cube is as good as Shengshou cube. He also told me that he can't send me a replacement siting the reason it's "Out of Stock" (even though they were still selling the item on Amazon)

Several mails followed. I stood with my demand for a replacement / refund. Finally, they have agreed to send me a refund provided I send the item back to them on my cost. Even that demand I've refused. Why should I spend any amount for their mistake. Finally, they have collected the item on their own and sent me a cheque.

This was a lesson to me. First of all, I should not have accepted the parcel after seeing the pathetic condition of the packing. More over, I have deviated from the normal practice of placing the order with an Amazon Fulfilled seller. In the whole process, I even had to invoke Mr. Jeff Bezos's name to claim my refund.

Last edited by iVento : 30th May 2015 at 12:08.
Old 30th May 2015, 12:55   #3307
BHPian

Hi @Ivento
Had a totally opposite experience with Amazon. Guess it's the ultimate seller who holds the noose!!
In my case the item was picked up on the following day of my request for a return and the money credited to my account the next day, thereafter. It was a mobile phone.
Old 30th May 2015, 12:59   #3308
Senior - BHPian

You need not invoke Bezos' name at all.

Amazon's policy states -

http://www.amazon.in/gp/help/custome...deId=201149900

Damaged/ Defective items must be returned in the original condition they were received in with all the accompanying accessories.

5. Return facilitiy available only via self-returns. Return Pick Up facility is not available on these items.

Anyway - buying any item that says "made in china" - even has a chinese brand name - online from an unknown seller rather than fulfiled by amazon has its own share of risks, as you found out.
Old 30th May 2015, 14:59   #3309
BHPian

Humm, depends on the seller I believe. I purchased a cordless battery last year and found it not functioning at all, eBay made full refund even suggesting "don't bother to mail the item back".

This year flipkart sent a broken handheld psp case, upon complaining promptly arranged to pickup and made a replacement. BTW, I had a choice to ask for replacement or refund.
Old 30th May 2015, 15:31   #3310
Senior - BHPian

I suppose people selling goods worth anywhere from a couple of thousand to potentially 40..60k or more will have more liberal refund and return policies, compared to retailers who sell Rs. 250 made in china Rubiks cubes?
Old 30th May 2015, 16:34   #3311
BHPian

Ordered a microwave glass bowl from Amazon and received it in a cracked condition. One call to Amazon and I got my refund the next day. They said they did not want the item back either and asked me to throw it away. That's Amazon!!

On any other site they would want me to send pics of the damage, the box, the outer cover, etc,etc. After that if they agree then the item will be picked up and the process will go on for several days.
Old 30th May 2015, 16:54   #3312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I suppose people selling goods worth anywhere from a couple of thousand to potentially 40..60k or more will have more liberal refund and return policies, compared to retailers who sell Rs. 250 made in china Rubiks cubes?
It has to do with commitment I think. Both the items I mentioned are worth only a few hundreds. Or it could be the policy, they have something called eBay guarantee policy or so.
Old 30th May 2015, 17:35   #3313
BHPian

Experience with amazon fulfilled, ws retail in flipkart and power sellers from eBay have all been excellent for me. Though I make sure that I have read at least a couple of positive reviews regarding the item if it's ebay.
Old 30th May 2015, 18:58   #3314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post
Recently I had a very bad experience with Amazon India.
Hi. Sorry to know that you had a bad experience. In such instances please use twitter and tag a rival eg flipkart. I'm certain they will ask you for your number and you will get a call back from some one high up in the chain.

Personally I had a horrible experience in big cinemas- showed too many ads. One tweet and the local manager was calling me and I got prompt response including a couple of free tickets.

Once I had asked the flipkart acc the procedure to return item since it was damaged ( shoes ). They asked me for my no and initiated the refund process asap. I was totally surprised! Got my money back and next day someone picked up the shoes.
Old 1st June 2015, 00:29   #3315
BHPian

Bought Xiaomi Yi action camera from Geek Buying with some basic accessories.
Good shopping experience.
The camera is currently under testing and has exceeded my expectations in terms of both video and picture quality.
But there are still some minor teething issues.
It is indeed a GoPro killer for a budget.

Attaching a few pics
Attached Thumbnails
The Online Shopping Thread-c360_20150531190621694.jpg  

The Online Shopping Thread-c360_20150531190734515.jpg  

The Online Shopping Thread-c360_20150531190752775.jpg  

The Online Shopping Thread-c360_20150531190812423-1.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks