Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2015, 17:07   #3436
BHPian

re: The Online Shopping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I had ordered some stuff (worth about $50) from amazon.com using their own international shipment option. It took about a week, and today as per the tracking website it is out for delivery. The thing to note is that I received this SMS from Aramex (the courier):

Never seen such a requirement; so I'm assuming this is something instituted by GoI recently. The delivery chap called me and informed me that he can't deliver unless I give him a copy of a government-issue ID. Fortunately I have a scanned copy of my PAN card on my home computer which my wife will be able to print and give to him.
KYC form for DHL can be filled and supporting documents uploaded online. For FedEx, you need to make hard copies of KYC form and supporting documents and courier them. In my case, both DHL and Fedex asked to send the KYC and other required documents before clearing the item. It is required while clearing the item by the courier company rather than while delivering the item to the receiver.

Here is the link to DHL KYC & Authorisation letter submission - https://www.dhlindia-kyc.com/

For Fedex, you have to go to this link - http://www.fedex.com/in/downloadcenter/ and download forms under the section "Useful Shipping Forms at Your Fingertips".

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 22nd June 2015 at 17:10. Reason: Added Fedex link
Old 22nd June 2015, 17:37   #3437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
KYC form for DHL can be filled and supporting documents uploaded online. For FedEx, you need to make hard copies of KYC form and supporting documents and courier them.
As far as I know, all this is for people importing stuff worth a lot of $$$. For my $50 purchase, none of this is (used to be?) necessary. I guess GoI wants to keep a track of all those who are receiving packages from outside India (smuggling prevention?).

As I mentioned, I had to submit ID proof only at the time of doorstep delivery.

Edit: Found the relevant circular for the FedEx/DHL etc. process - http://www.cbec.gov.in/customs/cs-ci...9-2k10-cus.htm. This has been in place for 5 years now.

Last edited by binand : 22nd June 2015 at 17:39.
Old 22nd June 2015, 17:52   #3438
BHPian

Quote:
As far as I know, all this is for people importing stuff worth a lot of $$$. For my $50 purchase, none of this is (used to be?) necessary. I guess GoI wants to keep a track of all those who are receiving packages from outside India (smuggling prevention?).

As I mentioned, I had to submit ID proof only at the time of doorstep delivery.

Edit: Found the relevant circular for the FedEx/DHL etc. process - http://www.cbec.gov.in/customs/cs-ci...9-2k10-cus.htm. This has been in place for 5 years now.

My Fedex shipment was of high value but DHL shipment was something as big as your shipment only, still DHL asked for KYC submission.
Old 22nd June 2015, 18:42   #3439
BHPian

Since the topic of pricing more than MRP popped up recently, let me add my experience.

A few months back, I bought Osram NightRacer Plus bulb for my bike from this link.

The seller sells it at 799. After receiving the item, I saw from the sticker that the MRP is 595(I had my doubts about MRP since I had seen the same at lesser price on some other site, but didn't proceed due to the negative reviews about that site).

Anyway, after receiving the item, I raised a complaint with eBay asking them to take action against the seller since it is illegal and also to refund me the difference in amount. They asked me to upload some images as proof. I did and they acknowledged the issue. After a few days, I got a call from eBay customer care that they'll give me a coupon for the balance amount and that they'll correct the listing(IIRC).

I haven't checked if they gave me the coupon but one thing that everyone can see is that they've let the seller make the 'Black Money' without any problem.

This incident made me lose my trust a lot in eBay.
Old 22nd June 2015, 19:01   #3440
Senior - BHPian

Recently purchased a 220 to 110 v converter on eBay for a small LED clock that was brought from the US. Received the product promptly but the plug was broken when I received it. Contacted the seller who wasn't even bothered - asked me to raise a claim with Ebay. Did so and it is still being processed. Probably will request them to blacklist that seller. Will also leave feedback.

Btw - anyone know where else I can get said converter? Noooo--- please don't suggest SP road.
Old 22nd June 2015, 20:15   #3441
BHPian

True, selling above MRP is a crime. I was once searching for a Philips CFL which was about 12W, had a screw holder type, short length and warm light. I searched several shops, websites but couldn't find one. Most of them sell only the fast moving types (15W, cool daylight, regular holder type). It was a relief when I finally found it in one nondescript website selling lighting stuff, and they had priced it above the MRP mentioned in Philips website. But I did not have to think twice before ordering it. Sometimes you thank these people for at least having these things on sale.

I think this MRP thing is a bit overrated. What we need is proper customer awareness - to know the worth of the stuff they are buying, not MRP.
Old 22nd June 2015, 20:25   #3442
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Btw - anyone know where else I can get said converter? Noooo--- please don't suggest SP road.
Not aware about Banglore but this should be easily available in any electronic component market , buy something that has higher current rating then you need . I believe these days we can get not only transformer ones but also SMPS supplies though i will personally prefer transformer . I have seen SMPS passing 220 V at output in case they go kaput personally damaging appliances .
Old 22nd June 2015, 20:37   #3443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post

Try http://www.mdrelectronics.com/
All my step down converters or DC adapters are from this brand.
Old 22nd June 2015, 21:46   #3444
BHPian

With growing online retail and more emphasis on best pricing or low price most of them are resorting to increasing of MRP to showcase better discount across product categories . Classic example - perfumes which are jacked by 10-25% vis actual MRP's . Unless Govt makes strict implementation of rules and better support for Consumer groups things are not going to change
Old 22nd June 2015, 22:22   #3445
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, you can go to SP road. Just take the clock with you so that they can match the pins.

Quote:
Fortunately I have a scanned copy of my PAN card on my home computer which my wife will be able to print and give to him.
Suggestion: do not give PAN card copies or even PAN card num as ID proof to anyone other than your bank / etc. PAN card details can be mis-used.
(eg: Have heard of a story where the PAN card num was used for purchase of gold in cash, and the card holder was hauled up)

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd June 2015 at 23:16. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 22nd June 2015, 22:53   #3446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Suggestion: do not give PAN card copies or even PAN card num as ID proof to anyone other than your bank / etc. PAN card details can be mis-used.
Unfortunately living in today's India means that ID proof is mandatory for a lot of day-to-day things. If everyone asks for "government issued ID proof", what else do I give (my DL is not usually accepted as there is only a black blob where the photo should be)? I have only two such documents - PAN card and passport. Both can be misused. PAN is the lesser of the two evils, as it can be looked up with minimal effort here:

https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in...urPanLink.html

Quote:
( eg:
Have heard of a story where the PAN card num was used for purchase of gold in cash, and the card holder was hauled up)
As far as I know purchasing gold is (not yet) a crime in India; so can't really see the reason for "hauling up" the card holder. Was this story a WhatsApp forward?

Edit: Could be that someone purchases gold way beyond my net worth; that could be a problem.

Last edited by binand : 22nd June 2015 at 22:58.
Old 23rd June 2015, 07:54   #3447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I was once searching for a Philips CFL which was about 12W, had a screw holder type, short length and warm light. I searched several shops, websites but couldn't find one.
Not sure where in Bangalore you are, but if in the east side, there is an electrical fittings store at Siddhapura on Varthur Road soon after you enter it from Columbia Asia side in Whitefield. The store is on the second floor of a building that has a Naturals salon on the first, and comes a few buildings beyond the Michelin store. I have forgotten its name, but they do stock all sorts of Philips and Osram CFL with screw and bayonet caps (and many other less common electrical fittings).
Old 23rd June 2015, 09:34   #3448
BHPian

Quote:
Actually, you can go to SP road. Just take the clock with you so that they can match the pins.
I had bought one from SP road for a battery charger I bought from Japan. I plugged in the adapter and the charger and guess what, the charger blew up in smoke. The shop gave me a refund, but I lost my brand new charger.
Quote:
That's atrocious. Anybody can look up anybody's PAN no who has his DOB updated in facebook and use it while making high value transactions. I had always thought that PAN no is to be kept secret; just like SSN.
Quote:
As far as I know purchasing gold is (not yet) a crime in India; so can't really see the reason for "hauling up" the card holder. Was this story a WhatsApp forward?

Edit: Could be that someone purchases gold way beyond my net worth; that could be a problem.
Gold is a medium for black money transactions, so they want to monitor all gold purchases.
Quote:
Not sure where in Bangalore you are
South. I know that there is a BVK Iyengar road, but I'd rather pay a premium to deliver it to me than spending half a day hunting for it in crowded place with no car parking available.

BTW, in the US, local convenience stores charge as much as double the regular price of items, but that is the price we pay for convenience. Implement MRP in the US and all the convenience stores will vanish.

Last edited by civic-sense : 23rd June 2015 at 09:36.
Old 23rd June 2015, 09:50   #3449
BHPian

Looks like both Flipkart & Amazon have stopped 'within 1 day' delivering in Mumbai & the same is available @ Pune.
Old 23rd June 2015, 10:48   #3450
BHPian

Quote:
Recently purchased a 220 to 110 v converter on eBay for a small LED clock that was brought from the US. Received the product promptly but the plug was broken when I received it. Contacted the seller who wasn't even bothered - asked me to raise a claim with Ebay. Did so and it is still being processed. Probably will request them to blacklist that seller. Will also leave feedback.

Better check if your clock will work correctly on our supply which is nominally 230V 50Hz vs USA which is 110V 60Hz. These clocks tend to use the mains frequency in their logic, so even if the clock works it will show the wrong time. (Stepping down the voltage wont change the frequency).

You can always go for MX brand 220 to 110V converter. Look up their catalog on MDRelectronics I dont see an online store, but many reputed department stores carry this brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I
BTW, in the US, local convenience stores charge as much as double the regular price of items, but that is the price we pay for convenience. Implement MRP in the US and all the convenience stores will vanish.
If you have not yet realized it: Here on most electronic items (manufactured by small scale industries in Delhi etc) have an astronomical MRP printed on them. If you do not know what it 'should cost' then you will get ripped off! The manufacturer himself was shocked when I told him how much I had paid for a simple car battery charger in SP road - I had called them to ask if they made a smart version of the battery charger. If the 'normal' price is 300 Rs then the shopkeeper will ask for 750/- and after bargaining you may get it for a 'discounted' price of 600/-. The MRP on the package would be 1250/-. Who says we are not 'innovative'?!!!!!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd June 2015 at 11:07. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your post within the 30 minute edit window to add/edit your posts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks