Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2015, 23:31   #3466
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Online Shopping Thread

Thanks for the info on Bangalore Customs. As this is a DHL shipment, rather than postal, I would not have thought that Foreign Post Office would be involved --- but perhaps the post office, DHL, and other couriers are all victims of the same mess up.

I'm left wondering why, if DHL know that Bangalore customs is a mess, they should route stuff into the country through that entry point? Surely they must have the international logistical setup to route anything anywhere!
Old 23rd June 2015, 23:41   #3467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm left wondering why, if DHL know that Bangalore customs is a mess, they should route stuff into the country through that entry point? Surely they must have the international logistical setup to route anything anywhere!
I asked Fedex the exact same thing. They said I could request for routing it via Chennai or other ports before the shipment is sent from the origin. Also said Bangalore is where it all arrives usually (for the south) as there are daily flights operating from many ports to Bangalore, I think more than to other ports comparatively. Plus Fedex has their head office or something too in Bangalore I guess.

But if I knew about this delay, I would have tried everything I could to avoid routing via Bangalore. Have never faced this kinda delay for DHL, Fedex shipments before.
Old 23rd June 2015, 23:45   #3468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They said I could request for routing it via Chennai or other ports before the shipment is sent from the origin.
We should not need to know how or where our shipment is routed! That is their business.

Now I am seeing...

Quote:
Further Detail:

The Clearance process for this shipment is on-going with additional details required for clearance
Next Step:

The clearance process will continue once the additional details are provided for clearance
And yet DHL don't seem to be able to find out what is required! Customs mess up may, or may not be at the root of this, but it is really surprisingly bad service from DHL. The left hand seems to know that documents are required, but the right hand (which speaks to us, the customer), has no clue about that.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 23rd June 2015 at 23:49.
Old 24th June 2015, 07:24   #3469
BHPian

The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
We should not need to know how or where our shipment is routed! That is their business.

Now I am seeing...

And yet DHL don't seem to be able to find out what is required! Customs mess up may, or may not be at the root of this, but it is really surprisingly bad service from DHL. The left hand seems to know that documents are required, but the right hand (which speaks to us, the customer), has no clue about that.

Yep. Their business and their delays. But end of the day, time and money lost is ours! So it really doesn't matter to them. Next time I wouldn't consider it to be their business if I have an option to route it via some port other than Bangalore. I had told them that they should not route shipments via Bangalore if they knew about the delays to which they responded that shipments usually come through Bangalore because of frequent and daily flights there. Think Bangalore operates like a regional hub. BTW, this unusual delay is starting to feel like the unusual taxing of out of state cars in Bangalore. I hope it is not deliberate.

I have been in your situation more than a month ago. Said the same thing about Fedex, poor service and not expected from Fedex, etc. Like I said, I have done everything that is required and following it up on a daily basis. They are processing it on priority and still, as long as the Customs does not clear it, they are helpless too. This situation is specific to Bangalore Customs.

Regarding status update, because of hopelessly long clearance by the Customs, your status updates are kinda paused. Happened with both DHL and Fedex in my case. Their response is that unless there is something happening in the Customs clearance process, they don't update it. Frustrating it is. My status was showing wrong info. for like 3 weeks after which finally they updated it and been stuck with the "Clearance in progress" ever since.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 24th June 2015 at 07:34.
Old 24th June 2015, 11:26   #3470
Team-BHP Support

W.r.t. the RCD 510 import through Aliexpress, DHL picked up the consignment from Hong Kong yesterday and I received the SMS from DHL sometime back, asking me to upload the KYC documents to https://dhlindia-kyc.com/.

Uploaded the driver's license and PAN card plus a copy of the gas bill since we are staying at a rented premises. I hope all goes well and the shipment doesn't get stuck. The dealer has undervalued the shipment (some 40 USD or so). I have a hunch I will have to pay the duties regardless. I don't mind that as long as they deliver the stuff in one piece.
Old 24th June 2015, 13:16   #3471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Are you guys sure on this? I don't think any clock designer will use power frequency to sync time. It will be too inaccurate to keep time even by US power standards.
I think the reason for clocks bought in US running slow in India is different. these clocks are mainly radio clocks which are synchronized with time code sent periodically by radio transmitters. These transmitters use highly precise atomic clocks as their reference. These are very common in US. In India I think this system is missing. With out constant sync with time codes these clocks tend to become slow by few milliseconds per day due to not so great in built oscillators. This happens even with battery powered radio clocks bought in USA.
Eh. This is an el-cheapo clock - costing some $7 or so. I'm not sure they would bother so much with radio transmitters etc?

The only reason I got this from the US was since it was a nice pleasant blue coloured LED clock - I am not getting any like it here at all.

EDIT - here is the one I got. Got it for much cheaper than price mentioned on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-SPC106X-.../dp/B004ZKXXSW

Last edited by naveenroy : 24th June 2015 at 13:17. Reason: Link inserted
Old 24th June 2015, 13:53   #3472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Regarding status update, because of hopelessly long clearance by the Customs, your status updates are kinda paused. Happened with both DHL and Fedex in my case. Their response is that unless there is something happening in the Customs clearance process, they don't update it. Frustrating it is. My status was showing wrong info. for like 3 weeks after which finally they updated it and been stuck with the "Clearance in progress" ever since.
I have used the web form to complain, and got a prompt answer with words like expedite, proactive, and so on .

When your shipment was "stuck," did your tracking status remain the same, or did it update? Mine is updating daily, with statement that further documentation is required before anything else will happen. This seems so specific, I'm inclined to believe that it is true, but why can't customer services inform about this?

<ranting>
Old 24th June 2015, 14:05   #3473
BHPian

Quote:
I have used the web form to complain, and got a prompt answer with words like expedite, proactive, and so on .

When your shipment was "stuck," did your tracking status remain the same, or did it update? Mine is updating daily, with statement that further documentation is required before anything else will happen. This seems so specific, I'm inclined to believe that it is true, but why can't customer services inform about this?

<ranting>

Yours is DHL right? DHL updated my shipment status with similar words as yours every day for a few days and that stopped. Filled up the complaint online and got prompt reply giving name of one of their employees saying she is looking into this matter, apologies and blah blah. Nothing for days and weeks. Put up a message online again and got delayed response same like before. After that no more reply to mails or complaints posted on DHL site. Looks like they might be getting overloaded with complaints and gave up. Not expected from DHL but that's what is happening in my case I guess, it has been like 2 months now! Since my Fedex shipment is suffering same delays, I think the courier companies are kinda helpless right now.
Old 25th June 2015, 01:11   #3474
Distinguished - BHPian

My status has changed now: Processed at Bangalore.

We phoned DHL again earlier, and they told us that it will fly from Bangalore to Chennai today, and then they will know if customs need anything else.

I think you are right: overloaded with delays and the subsequent complaints.
Old 25th June 2015, 08:05   #3475
BHPian

Quote:
My status has changed now: Processed at Bangalore.

We phoned DHL again earlier, and they told us that it will fly from Bangalore to Chennai today, and then they will know if customs need anything else.

I think you are right: overloaded with delays and the subsequent complaints.

Thanks for the update. I just called them up after reporting once more online and I got to know that my shipment was sent back on 16th June!!

Shocked upon hearing that because, just before the call I checked online status and there was nothing of that sort mentioned there. I told that person I rec'd confirmation mail that all KYC and required documents well rec'd by DHL and also someone was looking into this matter. Whatever happened to all that and why was the shipment sent back and why was I not informed?? Then she put me on hold for a min. and checked and told me the package might still be in India (what?!) and the concerned team personnel will check and contact me today.

That was a first from DHL!
Old 25th June 2015, 11:50   #3476
Senior - BHPian

just curious- what does flipkart(or the seller wsretail) do with returned items?

Ethically it can't be a new item, right?

The recently delivered moto g2 didn't look pristine, like it had the protective screen having bubbles, back cover had dust etc. Hence the suspicion.
Old 25th June 2015, 13:14   #3477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Are you guys sure on this? I don't think any clock designer will use power frequency to sync time. It will be too inaccurate to keep time even by US power standards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Are you sure of this? One of my childhood memories is of my father talking of this radio-based accurate time signal from Akashvani
Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Akashvani used to announce time periodically (or a beep sound
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Eh. This is an el-cheapo clock - costing some $7 or so. I'm not sure they would bother so much with radio transmitters etc?

The only reason I got this from the US was since it was a nice pleasant blue coloured LED clock
You guys are probably too young to know - the PDP11 (that is/was a minicomputer, yes those were the hi-tech devices the size of a cupboard) used the mains frequency to set the real-time clock. The first time I saw that, I couldn't get over it! Yes, in the civilized world the frequency is reliable and stable.

@binand "radio-based accurate time signal from Akashvani"

@archat68 - yes with a long beep at the end that marked the 'exact' time of the hour.

@naveenroy - Good looks ain't everything, I guess!
Old 25th June 2015, 15:22   #3478
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
just curious- what does flipkart(or the seller wsretail) do with returned items?

Ethically it can't be a new item, right?

The recently delivered moto g2 didn't look pristine, like it had the protective screen having bubbles, back cover had dust etc. Hence the suspicion.

Usually, the fine print will have some clause about customers getting a 'refurbished item of similar age/condition' in case of a returned/replaced item. Most e-tailers in the West charge a 'restocking fee' for returning non-faulty items (30-day return policies etc.) as well, though I haven't seen that happening in India yet.

Though I won't hazard making generalized unsubstantiated allegations about Indian e-tailer practices, I won't be surprised if the returned items are put back on sale as new or at least the 'not new' status not being prominently advertised. I remember seeing a few pics online of new phones (some Moto model) opened in service centers for warranty repairs, only to reveal refurbished components inside.

I've personally experienced a faulty gadget that was shipped back to me as a replacement, only for me to raise a stink because I'd taken a picture of the product details sticker before returning it, and the 'replacement' was the exact same piece. The vendor claimed an inventory goof-up which I found hard to believe given the faulty product should never have made it back to the available inventory pool at all.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th June 2015 at 15:23.
Old 25th June 2015, 21:27   #3479
BHPian

Ordered a pair of shoes from Clarks official website. Delivered in 5 days. Packaging looked fine and the shoe box didn't suffer any damage. However, they use services of a courier company called GoJavas which has poor reviews on the internet. Luckily, my parcel came in before time.
Anyone looking for Clarks footwear should browse their website. Amazing collection and great discounts all year round.
Old 25th June 2015, 21:47   #3480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
However, they use services of a courier company called GoJavas which has poor reviews on the internet. Luckily, my parcel came in before time.
GoJavas is quite a decent courier service. They even have the facility of tracking where the courier has reached once it is out for delivery.
Have received all shipments from Jabong through Gojavas.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks