Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2009, 16:41   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

I am sitting happily cooled by my AC, and my computer UPS tells me it is getting 220 volts (A Sunday afternoon luxury!). Things are fine evenings and weekends.

In the week, however, the AC is not cooling, the fans are sauntering around, and the voltage is irregular and terrible.

Last time I asked, I think I was shocked by the answer and forgot it promptly, but my mind is turning to thoughts of a three-phase servo stabiliser for the whole house.

How much money, and what Chennai company is good for quality and ASS?
Old 11th May 2009, 12:57   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I have decided to go in for an inverter, but am confused among the choices that are available across brands, and the relative advantages of one over the other in terms of reliability, life and after sales support. I am looking for an inverter of 800VA rating, and among the following brands :

* APC
* Luminous
* Bicron
* SuKam

I would be highly appreciative if someone could summarize these brands based on the parameters listed by me above. I am looking for a setup which will also enable me to use my PC in case of an emergency. I believe the last requirement in itself would require the need for a sine wave inverter.

What kind of battery should i go in for? Tubular or flat, and is it really true that tubular offers greater life over a flat battery? What is the expected average life of either of these batteries?

Thanks in advance.
Luminous is good with support
Sukam is good too
You can try Microtek too. (am using it)

Battery -- Go for Tubular. lasts longer, needs less maintenance (like water top ups)
Old 11th May 2009, 13:28   #138
BHPian

@Thad E Ginathom - Why would you want to go with a 3 phase servo stabilizer ? A single stabilizer which has extra low voltage capability to take care of your lighting and fan requirements will do. A one KVA stabilizer can handle this. Every one of your AC needs its own stabilizer.

It adds to the reliability and there is less waste of power in the long run.

With "modern" toroid wound transformers, a normal relay based stabilizer runs cooler, saves space and has lower magnetizing current needs ( when the load is switched off, the stabilizer still consumes power).
Old 11th May 2009, 15:23   #139
BHPian

if going for an inverter go for any reputed national brand but make sure you go for a sine wave inverter. for batteries i would any day recommend Amaron than any other brand because of best warranty and better power backup
Old 11th May 2009, 16:42   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
@Thad E Ginathom - Why would you want to go with a 3 phase servo stabilizer ? A single stabilizer which has extra low voltage capability to take care of your lighting and fan requirements will do. A one KVA stabilizer can handle this. Every one of your AC needs its own stabilizer.
Presently, we have three ACs, each one wired to a separate phase. Each one has an independent stabiliser, but it is not sufficient in the day time. At least, we should buy "double boost" stabiliser for the ACs.

From what I have seen, the servo stabiliser maintains output voltage very accurately. If I could cover the whole house, then there would be no worries for any of the electric or electronic equipment.
Old 11th May 2009, 18:40   #141
BHPian

Quote:
From what I have seen, the servo stabiliser maintains output voltage very accurately. If I could cover the whole house, then there would be no worries for any of the electric or electronic equipment.
Sure.
Servo stabilizers have a tendency to "hunt" before they settle down on a value. However their control range is much more granular than the relay types. For large loads, their efficiency is not so good OTH.

Most Electronic equipments use chopper power supply which obviates the need for any additional stabilization. They could however do with a spike buster to arrest the transients and spikes.
Old 12th May 2009, 14:26   #142
Team-BHP Support

Got a quote from Microtek for a 850VA inverter + tubular batteries (150AH) + trolley for Rs.16500/- including installation. Warranty on inverter and battery is 2 years.

Hows the deal? Personally, i feel the warranty on the battery and inverter is rather low. Opinions from others?

Luminous said they would also get back to me with a quote. So, i still have time to decide.

Is there anything in particular i can push for?
Old 12th May 2009, 15:13   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Got a quote from Microtek for a 850VA inverter + tubular batteries (150AH) + trolley for Rs.16500/- including installation. Warranty on inverter and battery is 2 years.

Hows the deal? Personally, i feel the warranty on the battery and inverter is rather low. Opinions from others?

Luminous said they would also get back to me with a quote. So, i still have time to decide.

Is there anything in particular i can push for?
Hi benbsb29, it is nice price. I have also inquired (for my friend) recently for inverter price and it really came down what was there 1 year ago.

I am using Sukam 800 VA sine wave inverter and 180 Ah Amco battery (non tubular) for last two years. There no problem as such, Only I have to do top-up of distilled water once in two - four months.

What I like in Sukam inverter is it's size is really small compared to other brands.

Do not ever go for APC, those guys are cheaters with substandard(they mostly sell square wave) product.
Old 12th May 2009, 15:25   #144
Senior - BHPian

Remember that ACs are induction motors - least sensitive about the voltage deviating by 15-20%. I have had a couple of failures both caused by the stabilizers. I have not used any for the past 15 years! What you should have is a starter / over current trip on each AC.
Old 12th May 2009, 15:58   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I am using Sukam 800 VA sine wave inverter and 180 Ah Amco battery (non tubular) for last two years. There no problem as such, Only I have to do top-up of distilled water once in two - four months.

What I like in Sukam inverter is it's size is really small compared to other brands.

Do not ever go for APC, those guys are cheaters with substandard(they mostly sell square wave) product.
Luminous had called, and have given me a similar price, but with warranty on the battery (tubular) being 30 months.

APC doesnt meet my requirements (800VA) for the simple reason that it wont support running a PC on the inverter (quasi sine wave).
Old 12th May 2009, 16:04   #146
Senior - BHPian

I had a luminous (non-sine) 1400 VA for about 4 years. Now have a Sukam (sine) for the past four months. I have run a PC on both with no problems.
Old 12th May 2009, 16:50   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I had a luminous (non-sine) 1400 VA for about 4 years. Now have a Sukam (sine) for the past four months. I have run a PC on both with no problems.
What made you change from a 4 year old inverter? Sine wave technology?

I too have been running my laptop power supply and my computer UPS off my 11 years' old non-sinewave Luminous!
Old 12th May 2009, 17:42   #148
Senior - BHPian

That is absolutely not safe for your laptop and not recommended too

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post

I too have been running my laptop power supply and my computer UPS off my 11 years' old non-sinewave Luminous!
Old 12th May 2009, 18:51   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
That is absolutely not safe for your laptop and not recommended too
The Laptop has served well for five years and is due for retirement now!
The UPS has served well for 10 years and is currently on its second set of batteries. During power outages it is fed via the inverter.
So I really don't know what to believe, LOL. And remember that this inverter is a square wave type!
Old 13th May 2009, 10:04   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post

I had a failure one year before that. Had a problem locating Luminous Service. The main card was changed restoring operation but not full display. I had another failure within 15 months, so decided to change and also switch to sine wave! In my case with laptops I find that with a non-sinewave inverter the adapter gets quite hot. Desktop (no UPS) worked just fine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks