Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2010, 13:37   #226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
Back in my village we have official load shedding for 12 hours.
--TIA
What!!
I was really irritated with the unofficial power cuts for a couple of hours most of the days in the place where I stayed in Blr. So I installed an inverter. Ever since I came to Trivandrum, the inverter has been sitting idle except for some minor power outages.

I think you should go with a Generator. Inverter battery will have a tough time charging and discharging. Imagine how many charge & discharge cycles the battery has to go through in a month! Battery may never get fully charged also.

Last edited by clevermax : 1st April 2010 at 13:41.
Old 1st April 2010, 14:21   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

A generator can be fully automatic --- but that just shortens the time between failure and generator start up: if continuous, uninterupted power is the requirement, then an inverter is going to be needed too. ...Unless it is fine just to keep the computer going with its own UPS.

I've become fairly easy-going about power cuts. I can up to two hours out of my computer UPS which also powers a desk light. We have to see how this summer, in Chennai, works out.

Twelve hours cut, overnight... I'd be buying a generator. I cannot sleep through the Chennai summer nights without AC, and my wife, despite being native, is worse than I am at handling the summer heat.
Old 1st April 2010, 14:26   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A generator can be fully automatic --- but that just shortens the time between failure and generator start up: if continuous, uninterupted power is the requirement, then an inverter is going to be needed too. ........
You're right, Thad.
An uninterrupted switch-over needs an inverter to bridge the gap between the moment of outage till the time the genset is ready to come on-line, typically about 30 seconds.
Old 1st April 2010, 18:54   #229
BHPian

Ok just to give some points;
1. A fully discharged battery needs 8 hours to fully charge, but it depends on other factors like line voltage, battery condition, charging capacity, etc. The line voltage should be above 210 volts. Some inverters have boost charging. It is good to sometimes do this since normal charging reduces the gravity of the acid. If any of the cell in the battery is weak, it will take more time to charge the battery.
2. It is always advisible to opt for inverter for small loads like fan, tube, tv etc. (ya they work with heavy load, I even worked my washing machine on a 300 W inverter and a 7 ah battery). For higher loads like mixie, fridge, and ac, the cost of the inverter will be high than generators, since they will be needing 2 or more batteries, and inverters are not much stable with varriable load. So generators are good for higher load.

thanks
Old 9th April 2010, 11:41   #230
BHPian

The power situation in some parts of our country is pathetic, with long hours of power cuts and low voltages.

If cost is no problem, solar powered inverter would be a great option. A 1kVA solar inverter could power the entire home's lighting and very small power needs.

Higher power loads like iron boxes, mixies, water pumps, ovens, etc (which do not need to be run continuously) would require an additional standby generator of about 1.5kVA to 2.5kVA, provided all of them are not run simultaneously.

Solar power water pumps are also available in the market.

Though larger powered electrical equipments which need to be run continuously, like refrigerators, air conditioners, etc would be a problem. Small solar powered refrigerators are available; though they are meant for storing vaccines, they could be used as small "fridges", I guess. I found an indian company's website showing a solar powered air conditioner, though its not for small home use.

Theoretically (& practically), an entire home could be run on solar power alone, the cost could be enormous. But, you could find out if some governmental organisation is providing any subsidy. Read on one website that "Investment in solar power is eligible for 80% depreciation". Check out the website of Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency.

I found this wikipedia article on solar power in India

The attached picture shows a typical solar back up system for residential use.
Attached Thumbnails
Inverter or generator?-solar-power-backup-system2.jpg  

Last edited by Abes : 9th April 2010 at 11:45.
Old 10th April 2010, 14:15   #231
Senior - BHPian

Xenon VS Sukam which one to go for?

Xenon 800Va+160Ah(ULM) is qoted 16K
while Sukam 600VA+120ah tubular is qoted 15k

which one should i choose?
Old 10th April 2010, 17:39   #232
Senior - BHPian

Folks need to make a call am confused ... one of the multi brand dealer mentioned that the "xenon" battery life is bad. not sure how true it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post

Old 10th April 2010, 19:49   #233
Senior - BHPian

Lohit, what is the guarantee on the batteries from each?
Frankly, I wouldn't buy their batteries unless there was a written and very good guarantee.

Last year I had changed one inverter - bought Microtek and bought two Panasonic sealed (VRLA) batteries of 100AH each.
Surprisingly, the battery capacity does not seem too different from the 150AH Exide Tubulars that I had been using earlier. I am told that is because of a different pattern of voltage drop vs load & duration.
Old 10th April 2010, 20:36   #234
Senior - BHPian

Anup, the xenon has 18months warranty and the local battery has 2.5years..

I spoke to another dealer he offered me a local tubular battery + 800va xenon inverter + the trolley for 15k.

Surprisingly the xenon dealer told me the tubular battery the maintenance is more and it takes les load just the life is more but local dealer told that tubular is better in all terms...not sure whom to believe
Old 10th April 2010, 20:43   #235
Senior - BHPian

For an inverter, the tubular is definitely better!
There is no starter motor in a home that would need huge currents! These tubular batteries cannot supply such large bursts of current; your technician is right about that! But he is obviously out of his depth about what a home inverter needs and/or draws by way of current.

Tubulars hold a LOT more electrolyte and do not require frequent top-ups.

IIRC, Exide is offering a 5 year warranty on their tubulars now. Do check.
Old 10th April 2010, 23:39   #236
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Lohith, my vote goes for the SuKam. I bought a SuKam 800VA inverter last August, and quite happy with it.
Old 11th April 2010, 00:36   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Lohitrao,

I have a Xenon 800Va + 160 AH Xenon battery and also a Sukam 1400Va + 2 x 150AH Sukam Sealed Maintenance Free batteries and am very happy with both.

IMHO get the Xenon if it is with Xenon battery unless you want to opt for a SMF battery in which case it should be Sukam.

Whichever you decide to go for get a trolley for sure.

Last edited by khoj : 11th April 2010 at 00:38.
Old 12th April 2010, 13:00   #238
BHPian

Whats a good place to buy batteries from in Bangalore. I checked with some dealers - they quote 11,000 for Exide Tubular 150 AH in Indiranagar. I am sure I should be able to get a better deal on Exide or other brand.

@benbsb29 : Looks like you got a good deal on Base Terminal. Which place in Bangalore?

Also any pointers on cost of trolley and what to look out for.

BTW : I have purchased Videocon inverter online - yet to receive it though. Will update my take on it once I get the inveter installed.

~maniac
Old 12th April 2010, 13:09   #239
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys.

Inverter am more inclined towards "Xenon" on the battery the dealer was suggesting some local tubular battery.. still confused on the battery:0
Old 12th April 2010, 14:56   #240
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious_maniac View Post
@benbsb29 : Looks like you got a good deal on Base Terminal. Which place in Bangalore?

Also any pointers on cost of trolley and what to look out for.
I ended up with a SF Sonic battery along with SuKam inverter. I dont remember how much i was quoted for BT.

Trolley was charged at Rs.800/-, but i did manage to get that included in the final discount during my purchase, IIRC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks