Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2009, 16:14   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
@shajufx, your APC one looks neat! What sort of wiring is done to the switch board & other places if any?
The unit is below the switch board, so its a 4 meter 'L' shaped wiring that runs to the APC with a PVC casing. You can see a very small portion on the left side of the unit (in the picture above). It goes half meter to the left and straight up to the board. Looks neat and clean. Once the next painting is done, it will become part of the paint theme (or I can touch up the similar colour to the casing). No other changes in the whole house.

For your requirement, there are choices in Su-kam and APC. Try calling up both these guys, they will guide you; compare and chose after discussions;
Su-kam, Raju 9845865015
APC, Gopu 9845079372

Last edited by shajufx : 3rd April 2009 at 16:17.
Old 3rd April 2009, 16:34   #122
BHPian

output from a inverter will be = VA x PF(power factor)

Average PF can be assumed 60%(i.e 0.6)

So output from a 800 VA inverter will be = 800 x 0.6 = 480 watts.

You can sum up your power requirement and check how much VA would be good for you.
Old 3rd April 2009, 16:54   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
I remember someone installing an invertor at our home in MYS about 10 - 12 yrs ago with bad wiring done on the wall & a huge battery box (lorry types)
Well, these type of inverters are also available these days. They may not look nice but are functional and easier to use.
Old 3rd April 2009, 17:44   #124
BHPian

Replaced my Inverter battery yesterday with a 160Ah Amaron Xenon series battery. My existing battery was a 135Ah Prestolite battery, it lasted for 4 years, for the past 4 months the charging light never went off, so I gave it for charge outside but the problem remained.

Was happy with the battery and the backup it provided, but wanted to try Amaron this time. Got the new battery for 8000 after exchange of my old battery. The UPS make is Usha.
Old 4th April 2009, 00:39   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm fed up with juggling the rotary phase selectors over the past few days to do things like get the microwave running or some cold air out of an AC.

Time, I think, for an automatic phase switcher.
Old 6th April 2009, 14:52   #126
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm fed up with juggling the rotary phase selectors over the past few days to do things like get the microwave running or some cold air out of an AC.

Time, I think, for an automatic phase switcher.
we actually changed the phase switcher at my FIL's place from automatic to manual

Reason, when electricity supplied is on low voltage, nothing could be done to switch over to a better phase in the automatic phase switcher. was so very irritating during the last flooding in chennai when one phase had good supply while the remaining 2 were very low.

think and decide
Old 6th April 2009, 15:13   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for that.

The device I was considering (seen at an exhibition) is from a company called Mabara. It changes not only for phase failure, but for under or over voltage too. It also features a display showing phase voltages.

The particular device is not featured on their website, but anyone any experience of the company?
Old 29th April 2009, 13:29   #128
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread, wonder how come I missed this.

Well my requirements at home

1. TV - 20 inch
2. Tata Sky
3. Lights (when night, 2-3 bulbs always till I goto sleep)
4. Fan (2-3)
5. Desktop (Laptop if working fine)
6. Modem for internet

Well since the power outage last year when I moved in was low, I took Microtek 850 VA inverter along with Exide tubular battery (single, dont remember config)

It worked fine for my requirements as the electricity used to come in the night and would charge battery daily.

Now thanks to Sun blowing hot, the supply is not keen on showing its face in our area, playing more of hide and less of seek. Comes for 2 hrs and is gone for next 7 hrs, then comes for 10 mins and then gone for next 5 hours. Its giving horrible time to me as the battery gets drained completely and I am left with newspaper to use as a fan.

So now next option, since the inverter and battery is fine, the main choice is to use something to keep the inverter charged. I am looking at some generators at home to charge the inverter battery. Looking at models from Honda, found they have an LPG version too.

My questions
1. Has anyone tried LPG generators ?
2. Given my requirements above, which one should I consider, 450 or 1400 ?
3. How well do generators do if not used for long periods ?
4. Can I run AC & Fridge on these generators while the inverter battery is getting charged?
5. What are the periodic maintenance required for generators ? Is there anything like free service ?
6. Will it last for say next 4 years?
Old 29th April 2009, 14:25   #129
BHPian

Quote:
My questions
1. Has anyone tried LPG generators ?
2. Given my requirements above, which one should I consider, 450 or 1400 ?
3. How well do generators do if not used for long periods ?
4. Can I run AC & Fridge on these generators while the inverter battery is getting charged?
5. What are the periodic maintenance required for generators ? Is there anything like free service ?
6. Will it last for say next 4 years?
1. No experience
2. You would be better off with a higher powered one.
3. If you keep them free from dust and service them periodically, they will last a long time. We have a 2800 VA generator which is in its 12th year. It is rarely used.
4. A one ton AC needs at least 6 A which means it takes about 1440 W. You need to have at least 20 % extra capacity to supply this load alone.
5. A generator has a petrol engine (for smaller sizes) which needs routine service just like your 2 wheeler engine. The alternator part rarely needs much attention.
6. It will last much longer than that.
Old 29th April 2009, 15:30   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
1. No experience
2. You would be better off with a higher powered one.
3. If you keep them free from dust and service them periodically, they will last a long time. We have a 2800 VA generator which is in its 12th year. It is rarely used.
4. A one ton AC needs at least 6 A which means it takes about 1440 W. You need to have at least 20 % extra capacity to supply this load alone.
5. A generator has a petrol engine (for smaller sizes) which needs routine service just like your 2 wheeler engine. The alternator part rarely needs much attention.
6. It will last much longer than that.

Thanks for the reply. Any idea about costs, how much a generator for 1400 VA will cost ?
Old 29th April 2009, 16:24   #131
Senior - BHPian

amit, the choice of generator, if you ask me is relatively simple in India and depends upon whether you live in a flat or farm.

If it is flat that is your current abode, then look no further

Honda Gensets, Water Pump, Engines, Lawn Mowers & Brush Cutters

If it is a farm or a palatial house that you reside in then this is the best option

Mahindra Powerol 5 kva diesel genset

Mahindra DG Sets | Diesel Generator Set Manufacturers | Diesel Tractor Engines

Both these models retail for around 1.5 lacs each, so it is heavy initial investment.
Old 29th April 2009, 16:46   #132
BANNED

Which is the best one among portable genset makers ?

Is it Honda ?
Old 6th May 2009, 17:42   #133
Senior - BHPian

Choose which Inverter?

Does any one know the performance of Xenon inverter & matching Xenon brand battery?
I am looking at sukam 800VA inverter + Exide 150Ah invertor battery (non tubular).
I am not able to make up my mind which on to choose your views and comments invited.
Old 7th May 2009, 12:45   #134
Senior - BHPian

Tripp-Lite, APC or Numeric.

these are the only inverter brands you should be considering in India. I say this because of the superlative after-sales support of these three.
Old 10th May 2009, 13:52   #135
Team-BHP Support

My turn to get confused now

I have decided to go in for an inverter, but am confused among the choices that are available across brands, and the relative advantages of one over the other in terms of reliability, life and after sales support. I am looking for an inverter of 800VA rating, and among the following brands :

* APC
* Luminous
* Bicron
* SuKam

I would be highly appreciative if someone could summarize these brands based on the parameters listed by me above. I am looking for a setup which will also enable me to use my PC in case of an emergency. I believe the last requirement in itself would require the need for a sine wave inverter.

What kind of battery should i go in for? Tubular or flat, and is it really true that tubular offers greater life over a flat battery? What is the expected average life of either of these batteries?

I did check out some reviews on Mouthshut, but as is usually the case, wasnt able to reach a conclusion based on those reviews.

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks