Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2016, 16:02   #5866
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

I'm looking for a dough maker (atta kneader) with the sole purpose of kneading dough only. Initially I thought a food processor would be helpful but we are just 2 people and don't really need any other function.

I looked at products similar to this http://www.amazon.in/Oster-2610-049-...320051&sr=1-21 but with mixed reviews not sure whether this is what I should be getting.
Old 1st February 2016, 17:10   #5867
BANNED

I have used Oster in the past (1973 - 1989), but use a Kenwood since 1989! The kneading in a Kenwood with planetary action is far superior.
Old 1st February 2016, 17:39   #5868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have used Oster in the past (1973 - 1989), but use a Kenwood since 1989! The kneading in a Kenwood with planetary action is far superior.
I did check out the Kenwood website based on your similar comment on this thread earlier but spending 16k on a food processor wasn't making sense to me. What specific product am I looking for if its not the food processor as I'm not able to make out which mixer is ideal for dough making.
Old 1st February 2016, 17:43   #5869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I did check out the Kenwood website based on your similar comment on this thread earlier but ...
All the ones in your category can make dough. It's a matter of getting the process right. My wife showed me the dough making in under a minute with the food processor and I was saddened by recalling the efforts of my mom making atta by hand ('70s/'80s) for a joint family of 17!!
Old 1st February 2016, 18:08   #5870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
All the ones in your category can make dough.
Which category? I don't need a food processor and the one that looked like a mixer is worth 25k!!
Old 1st February 2016, 18:13   #5871
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Which category? I don't need a food processor and the one that looked like a mixer is worth 25k!!
Yes, i meant the mixers.
Old 1st February 2016, 20:34   #5872
Team-BHP Support

For a budget not exceeding 20K, which microwave would be good? Will be used for heating pizza, occasionally baking cake, papad and can't think of much for now.

Does microwave require frequent service? [AC & WM's do require but refrigerators usually do not] Service is ok for LG, Samsung & IFB.

How are murphy richards?
Old 1st February 2016, 21:02   #5873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
For a budget not exceeding 20K, which microwave would be good? Will be used for heating pizza, occasionally baking cake, papad and can't think of much for now.
My BPL Sanyo which is 17 years old is acting up. So I just ordered a Panasonic Grill Microwave Oven (Panasonic NN-GT231M 20 L Grill). Cost me ~5750. My older oven seems to be losing power and needs to run longer to heat rice etc. It is not able to pop microwave popcorn. It was repaired once in 2012 and now it seems to have some problem. Decided to buy a new one as it is not too expensive, rather than spending 1-2K on repair.
The microwave should not require any service, except when it fails. Our first failure was after 14 years of use.
If you need to bake a cake, then you would need a convection microwave oven. Those prices start around 8-9k, depending on brand and size. Not too sure of the brand you mentioned. I was keen to purchase a Samsung but Panasonic is one of my customers and decided to give it a shot. The price was very attractive too.
Old 1st February 2016, 22:43   #5874
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Does microwave require frequent service? [AC & WM's do require but refrigerators usually do not] Service is ok for LG, Samsung & IFB.
Microwaves don't need any service unless they go wrong.

I was impressed with LG service, last month. They had a huge waiting list of flood affected folk, so the initial response was slow. When the guy did turn up, he diagnosed the fault and returned with the spare magnetron, which I guess is the most expensive thing inside a microwave, the next day, and the whole thing cost about 1500. A lot less than the simplest solo machine I'd been thinking of getting instead.

Decide if you really want to do stuff like baking. If you don't actually need the convection oven part of the combo, you can buy a solo microwave, or even a microwave+grill combo, for half your budget
Old 2nd February 2016, 00:57   #5875
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

I was impressed with LG service, last month.
In practically every 5th page of this thread, I have given an endorsement for LG after sales service. LG is the gold standard here. So much so that when buying appliances, I no longer choose between brands - it's just a choice between different LG models.

Quote:
Never serviced my WM except when something went wrong - and that was quite rare. My LG WM is in it's 11th year now.
Quote:

How are murphy richards?
Don't know about their microwaves in particular, but I don't like them in general. Their spare parts tend to be quite expensive.

Last edited by carboy : 2nd February 2016 at 01:03.
Old 2nd February 2016, 08:19   #5876
BANNED

LG service has been exceptional, but after a change in the local structure I will keep my fingers crossed.

Morphy Richards service is handled by Bajaj. Again had reason to call them once, and response was very fast and good.
Old 2nd February 2016, 11:32   #5877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_2rahjo View Post
I am currently on the lookout for a fully automatic washing machine. I have had an IFB for around 10 years but is failing more than what I would expect. Wanted to check on the feedback for Bosch. Are they really good? Or should I just stick to IFB?
I bought LG after our IFB packed up. In last three years there has been no problems with it.

IFB service has deteriorated in Delhi, so stay away from it.
Old 2nd February 2016, 14:41   #5878
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, I'm the odd one out on LG washing machines. I am delighted to have got rid of mine. The Bosch has fewer features, is not as quiet, but does not shake violently or dance about.
Old 2nd February 2016, 17:55   #5879
Senior - BHPian

Finally ordered the Oster mixer - http://www.amazon.in/Oster-250-Watt-...ds=oster+mixer

Kenwood's pricing of 20k+ was simply outrageous for my dough kneading purpose.
Old 3rd February 2016, 00:28   #5880
Senior - BHPian

You are being very demanding, give it some time to get it's act together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The Bosch has fewer features, is not as quiet, but does not shake violently or dance about.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks