Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2016, 10:42   #5896
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

@TheTeacher; Colour temperature is valid for a thermal type signal, it is based on the Black Body radiation curve. So whatever is quoted for the CFL/LED is technically a misnomer. It is I think based on perception and should be taken with a teaspoon (not just a pinch!) of salt.
Old 29th February 2016, 11:00   #5897
BHPian

HI Team,
I am looking to buy an Inverter battery which can support one Ceiling fan along with a 42 inch LED.
I want something in which I would not have to put water every month. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also please give me an idea about the pricing.
Old 29th February 2016, 11:11   #5898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
I am looking for an inverter AC for my 175 sqft bedroom (topfloor, south side has a balcony so outdoor unit would be in shade). Should I opt for 1 ton or 1.5 ton capacity.

Should I go for Diakin? or LG will work fine. I guess prices are almost in same range with couple of thousand difference.
If I am not wrong both the brands import the Inverter models. Check the service experience of both the brands at your location. If possible inquire from few neighbors about their experience. Then get the one which has better service. In general LG service costs are a bit lower compared to LG.
Old 29th February 2016, 15:23   #5899
Distinguished - BHPian

We are still waiting for our internal unit fan otor.

Sharp:
Old 9th March 2016, 17:48   #5900
BHPian

Re: Induction Cooktop?

What would be the features one need to look for in a induction cooktop?
Also, please let me know about the reliable brands.

I had seen in Metro, a model(phillips, may be) which has 2 concentric circles on the surface and the sales girl told me that it supports different sizes of pot. Is this feature helpful?

Please advise.
Old 18th March 2016, 10:44   #5901
Senior - BHPian

Need some assistance regarding fixing a BPL two door refrigerator.

It hasn't been cooling enough for few months now. Couple of weeks ago , I got a service centre number off Google who was supposedly a BPL authorized centre although BPL stopped manufacturing, they stock parts.
The chap who checked the fridge said the fan in the freezer is not spinning hence not spreading the coolness to the rest of the fridge.
He immediately went back and got a fan, which was in a sealed cover , but not in a box and charged me quite a bit for it and I am sure it is not even a new fan . Worked fine for a couple of days and now it is back to square one although the fan spins. Now I think the fan was not even the culprit.

According to the guy who checked, the gas will not run low on refrigerators, but I feel that is the reason.

Any pointers?

Last edited by tharian : 18th March 2016 at 10:55.
Old 18th March 2016, 10:52   #5902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Need some assistance regarding fixing a BPL two door refrigerator.

It hasn't been cooling enough for few months now. Couple of weeks ago , I got a service centre number off Google who was supposedly a BPL authorized centre although BPL stopped manufacturing, they stock parts.
The chap who checked the fridge said the fan in the freezer is not spinning hence not spreading the coolness to the rest of the fridge.
He immediately went back and got a fan, which was in a sealed cover , but not in a box and charged me quite a bit for it and I am sure it is not even a new fan . Worked fine for a couple of days and now it is back to square one although the fan spins. Now I think the fan was not even the culprit.

According to the guy who checked, the gas will not run low of refrigerators, but I feel that is the reason.

Any pointers?
If it was cooling fine when he changed the fan, then there should not be any problem with gas. In my opinion the controller for fan may be the culprit, or as in case of our Whirlpool the defrosting thermostat.

To check, just switch the refrigerator off till it warms up a bit - if there is ice in the ice tray it should be just about to melt. Then switch it on. If it cools for a day or so, then the defrosting circuit is malfunctioning.
Old 18th March 2016, 10:59   #5903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If it was cooling fine when he changed the fan, then there should not be any problem with gas. In my opinion the controller for fan may be the culprit, or as in case of our Whirlpool the defrosting thermostat.

To check, just switch the refrigerator off till it warms up a bit - if there is ice in the ice tray it should be just about to melt. Then switch it on. If it cools for a day or so, then the defrosting circuit is malfunctioning.
I can try that out, although the fridge has been turned off/on many times and over long durations , earlier. The problem is that the ice in the freezer is always in almost melt state. The temperature in the freezer is the same as what is supposed to be in the lower compartment.
What is confusing was how did everything work fine for two days after the fan was replaced.
Does the stabilizer and current charge play a role ?
Old 19th March 2016, 17:36   #5904
BHPian

Our 10-year old Whirlpool washing machine is on its last legs and needs to be replaced.

We frequently lose power, and the apartment generator supplies only 1kw per flat, so front-load machines are ruled out. Looking at top-load only.

Have heard bad things about many brands, and good things about LG. This will be our first first LG large appliance. CRT TV is LG, also 10 years old; microwave is LG, ~ 7 years old; refrigerator is Samsung, ~ 5 years old; all are doing well.

Primary features required are higher capacity than our current WM, and a hot water inlet. Wife is very big on the hot water. Now she makes me (mostly, or else the maid) take half a bucket of hot water near the WM, soaks clothes in it, then transfers everything into the WM. Messy affair. Didn't want models with built in heater; at the store I saw a WM where the salesman said the heater will always come on. I don't think that's true, but would prefer the option of a small external on-demand heater.

Have decided to buy one of these three LG top-loads. They are all in the same model family, fully automatic, and differ only in capacity. I believe they have 10-year motor warranty and two years for the rest of the stuff. The also seem loaded with enough buttons to fly a plane . In order of preference:

T8567TEELR 7.5 kg
T8067TEELH 7.0 kg
T7567TEELH 6.5 kg

Comments, suggestions, critiques welcome! Thanks.
Old 19th March 2016, 18:26   #5905
BANNED

I purchased the T8067TEELH 7 kg model in grey color 2 months back from local store. My wife is quite happy with it. I found one concern is that it don't have the inbuilt water heater with it. Otherwise it's very quite while spinning. LG services are very good on pune. The representative reach next day of the purchase and explained all features. We required to have longer outlet pipe, and he simply said that it would be costly if we purchase from him. He suggested to buy from local store and there will be no difference.
Old 20th March 2016, 02:19   #5906
Senior - BHPian

Have you looked at Panasonic's top load range? High quality build compared to the other offerings in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Comments, suggestions, critiques welcome! Thanks.
Old 20th March 2016, 08:59   #5907
Senior - BHPian

what can be done to take care of cooling in a kitchen?
My flat is in a set of snug apartments which don't allow much ventilation

I've installed an exhaust fan, still it gets very hot during cooking

any other solutions ?
Old 20th March 2016, 09:20   #5908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
We frequently lose power, and the apartment generator supplies only 1kw per flat, so front-load machines are ruled out. Looking at top-load only.
Top loaders with hot water are difficult to find. Also if there is a heater in the machine it will no way consume less than 1KW (it will be around 2KW at least).

Also, the maximum wattage of the front loaders are around 2KW and that assume the heater is running. For normal washing it doesn't consume more than 500W I assume.

So if you want heater inbuilt then there is no WM that they will consume less than 1KW.

What you can do is isolate your washing machine power line from generator, run the washing machine on timer so that it runs in the early morning when the power demand is least so that you'll have least chance of power failure. We load our WM in the night and set the timer so that it starts operating around 4AM so that when we get up in the morning the washing is complete.

All FL washing machines have in built memory and they will resume the operation after the power is restored in case of power failure..

Unless you have very strict budget I'll suggest you to buy a FL WM only. The wash quality is markedly better, water consumption is lesser and life is so much easier.
Old 20th March 2016, 10:26   #5909
BHPian

I had a terrible time with my top of the line 8kg whirlpool top loader. It had a heating element and we never used it even once in its 4 year difficult lifetime. The biggest issue I had was that the soap would not dissolve as we lived in a house with only a bore well and the water was bit hard. It was about 30k down the drain including the accessories and extended warranty.
Old 20th March 2016, 11:00   #5910
BHPian

Anyone using Siemens front load washing machines? Thinking of upgrading my top load, hence looking at feedback.

Most Viewed