Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Linux distro you use, and why?
Ubuntu/Kubuntu 115 61.83%
Mandriva 2 1.08%
Debian 14 7.53%
Gentoo 4 2.15%
Red Hat 37 19.89%
Slackware 6 3.23%
SuSE 16 8.60%
TurboLinux 0 0%
BSD 7 3.76%
Any other 24 12.90%
Fedora 28 15.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2008, 07:07   #31
BHPian

I use Vista Ultimate SP1 + OpenSuse 11
i find this combination rocking ,

earlier I was using , MacOSX and Vista Ultimate SP1
Old 9th July 2008, 08:12   #32
Senior - BHPian

Yes but thats only a direct boot from the Ubuntu CD sometimes, just to increase my respect for Vista once in a while...

Does not make sense to install and use any Linux, because you miss a lot of small handy useful software tools made for windows. Forget about that, I want to scrap in my mother toungue in orkut, and thats not properly possible from Mozilla in Ubuntu. I like IE7.
Old 9th July 2008, 11:27   #33
Senior - BHPian

I usually have two O.S. on different hard drives.

1) Windows XP SP2. ( 32-bit )

2) Fedora 9. ( 64-bit )

I now run two Linux on one hard drive i.e.dual boot.

Here now I have

1) Fedora 9 ( 64-bit )

2) Ubuntu Server Edition 8.04. ( 64-bit ).
Old 9th July 2008, 11:52   #34
Team-BHP Support

I am shocked I am the only Gentoo user here!
anyways now I have installed gentoo via vmware, on my next new HDD(when 500GB 2.5" SATA will be below 5K) I am going full throttle linux, I am a little fed up of XP.
But moving all my data on my current HDD etc., etc., is a pain so right now I will let it be.
I think I will go with Kubuntu this time, a lappy is no place for gentoo
Old 28th April 2009, 13:12   #35
Team-BHP Support

Interesting article: Opinion: Why desktop Linux may have lost its chance
Old 28th April 2009, 21:17   #36
BHPian

Ubuntu 9.04

Just downloaded the Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty
It has become quite fast due to ext4 FS
Now my laptop boots in 30 seconds flat!

I also use the Vista Home Premium that came with the laptop
Old 29th April 2009, 12:44   #37
BHPian

I run centos on my desktops at home. The main one is on pretty much all the while & the system uptimes are to the tune of months (mostly disturbed by me because of some change & hence rebooted). Mainly because it is extended from RHEL and hence proven to be stable.

Have fiddled with various distributions, but finally settled for Centos. Ubuntu is great for a lappie user as it comes up almost instantly. Still not happy with the office apps. Use Virtualbox for XP/MSOffice many a time.

Where to get your distributions (other than downloading through a superfast net conn): The various PC magazines bundle the OS'es these days.
Old 29th April 2009, 14:37   #38
BHPian

We run a Fedora 3 dedicated Linux box (always on) as a Router, Firewall, HTTP development server, Mysql server,mail server, NFS and Intrusion Detection System. There is another Fedora 7 box which is dedicated to a Security camera recorder.

The first system may be old, but it has not been patched in recent years.
Old 29th April 2009, 19:31   #39
Senior - BHPian

Have been running Gentoo for about 5 years now, from the 2004.0 release.

@tsk1979: You are not alone. And btw, I do use Gentoo on my laptop. The urge to install packages has to be curbed when using a battery, but apart from that, Gentoo is no different to any other good distro.
Old 9th May 2009, 09:06   #40
Senior - BHPian

I was using XP and Ubuntu on my laptop. The installation was done by a friend. Now I've changed my hard disk and installed Vista Ultimate. Kept a partition for Ubuntu. Will install it soon. Ubuntu is really user friendly. With Ubuntu you can live without windows.
Old 9th May 2009, 09:58   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I want to scrap in my mother toungue in orkut, and thats not properly possible from Mozilla in Ubuntu. I like IE7.
That is rather surprising. Ubuntu has supported all Indian languages for at least past 5 years. Which version of Ubuntu and Mozilla?

Do you have the ttf-indic-fonts installed?

Can you see Mathrubhumi ?

If you can see the above site, all you need is to enable the keyboard layout. If you cannot see the above site, the problem is probably that the concerned fonts are not installed. We have a linux support thread some where here. We can move your problem over to there.
Old 1st June 2009, 10:25   #42
Senior - BHPian

I just installed Ubuntu 8.10 Interpid Ibex yesterday and soon realised that 9.04 was already released. So I upgraded to 9.04 over the night and now I'm using it.
Old 31st August 2009, 14:00   #43
BHPian

I used to be on fedora 4-5 years ago in my earlier job (no IT support). However, in my current job, over the last 4 years, haven't had the guts to move to an IT un-supported linux on my laptop. Just recently got irritated with windows and decided i was finally done. So migrated completely to ubuntu on ibm thinkpad x61s.
I am using ubuntu jaunty (9.04) and after trial and error using evolution for corporate exchange email and pidgin for corporate chat (sametime, webex connect). A few bugs but everything works fine now

Did think of hackintosh, but felt that as an OS its too dumbed down and toyish to be on mac (yes i am aware of the unix underpinnings and we do have large IT/community supported corporate mac user set )
Old 31st August 2009, 14:14   #44
Senior - BHPian

I used to have Debian GNU/Linux(apt-pinning) till few months back.now it is Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty.No other Operating Systems.Linux user like 6-7 years now.was a FOSS Zealot

Last edited by deepclutch : 31st August 2009 at 14:16.
Old 31st August 2009, 14:19   #45
Senior - BHPian

I’ve been living with Linux distros for winning bread and butter for the past 13 years. In my opinion I would say the best distro is Slackware when they were in peak performance. Slackware used to be a better server platform if not for desktop. If slackware team comes out with new desktop version, I’m sure I will be a permanent supporter for them. You guys should really believe it to know, whatever they build in the past they stood on stability side and strong adherence to Unix principles. I like the Slackware distribution so much.

Then it was time of RedHat, Suse, Debian then Fedora and Ubuntu etc. on the desktop side with Gnome or KDE desktop environment.

Suse also an attraction among the desktop bunch, but Novell made it to collaboration and server side platform hence not much on the desktop side for Suse now a days.

With all due respect, I appreciate and like Ubuntu’s desktops a lot as it makes a direct competition with MS Windows. Given a choice I would rate Ubuntu far better than the buggy and bulky Windows Vista. (Sorry guys, I never said Windows XP)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks