Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Linux distro you use, and why?
Ubuntu/Kubuntu 115 61.83%
Mandriva 2 1.08%
Debian 14 7.53%
Gentoo 4 2.15%
Red Hat 37 19.89%
Slackware 6 3.23%
SuSE 16 8.60%
TurboLinux 0 0%
BSD 7 3.76%
Any other 24 12.90%
Fedora 28 15.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2007, 11:52   #1
BHPian

Which linux distro do you use, and why?

Hi,

I am a born-again Linux-convert; and a big fan of Ubuntu. Earlier I had used RedHat and Fedora but came back to Windows due to many problems like un-availability of many codecs, lack of a good Office application, lack of good development IDEs on Linux etc.

But with the advent of Ubuntu, all these issues are foregone. Installing it is a breeze, it comes pre-installed with all codecs, OpenOffice has improved tremendously (alothough I haven't found a good replacement for MS Project yet), NetBeans is available for Linux and works like a charm.

Ubuntu is described as Linux for beginners; I wonder why? Is there anything, which I am missing; or using a Linux with easy UI is just uncool?

Cheers

Nitin

Last edited by ntomer : 6th June 2007 at 11:58.
Old 6th June 2007, 12:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

OT - Can I have a dual boot system with Vista and Ubuntu ? Anyone tried it yet ?
Old 6th June 2007, 12:23   #3
BHPian

Home : Dual boot RH 2.4 kernel and Win2k
Office : WinXP sadly
Old 6th June 2007, 12:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

I heard Ubuntu is being shipped for free. Anyone got links? I already got Sun Solairs DVDs for free.
Old 6th June 2007, 12:32   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
OT - Can I have a dual boot system with Vista and Ubuntu ? Anyone tried it yet ?
My home desktop is a dual boot system with Windows XP and Ubuntu. The link from where I got the info says it will work with Vista as well.

Here is the linky - Hack Attack: How to triple-boot Windows XP, Vista, and Ubuntu - Lifehacker

Cheers

\N
Old 6th June 2007, 12:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ubuntu WAS shipping free upto edgy eft - with feisty fawn they've stopped. U could copy the disc from someone who has it tho.
I'm planning to get my dad a laptop and quietly install ubuntu + OO on it. OO's not that great but for 95% of the stuff, just works. Our entire company's using this combo.
The Synaptic pkg manager makes things far easier than on Windoze machines - plus 7.04 is wayy faster than 6.10
Tip : try using swiftfox - esp if you use a lot of extansions - not so much for speed as for reduced and controlled memory footprint.
Old 6th June 2007, 12:42   #7
Team-BHP Support

My first distro was redhat (5 I think).
After that I tried out Redhat 6/7 before getting bored and irritated with redhat.
Tried fedora, but did not like it much. So my Redhat association is at work only mostly.

At home front it was mandrake earlier, then I discovered gentoo. Build up the entire system from scratch on my 64bit AMD, tweaked for maximum performance.

Now that motherboards dead(lasted just 3 years inspite of being ASUS). So I am no longer in linux land at home, except that sometimes I do a liveCD boot on my laptop(Knoppix).
Recently that CD went bust too.
when I build my home system now, I will dual boot into gentoo and winXP
Old 6th June 2007, 14:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

I use ubuntu and keopnix but only as a Live cd to boot and stuf and not as afull operating system. As an operating system i trust only windows for my needs.

But ubuntu is a revolution to linux IMHO
Old 6th June 2007, 15:10   #9
BHPian

Errm. BSD is not a Linux distro, dude
Old 6th June 2007, 15:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

there are lots of Distributions and all are targetted towards different audience.

I would vote for xandros. It's one of the OS to be covered by microsoft protection.
Old 6th June 2007, 15:33   #11
BHPian

My first distro was suse 9.1.followed by Linspire and knoppix live cd's.
Recently installed Fedora Core 6..amazins OS,stable,not a resource hogger,got most used apps inbuilt but one problem...wont play any media files like mp3,dat,mpg,etc due to some patent or copyrights issues.
Old 6th June 2007, 15:59   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey View Post
Errm. BSD is not a Linux distro, dude
Yeah, BSD is Unix-like and Linux-like (as it's web-site says), but is NOT either of these ;-)

\N
Old 6th June 2007, 18:46   #13
BHPian

Remember installing Linux for the first time on my 486. It was Slackware - came free with PC Quest (IIRC). Now I have a Ubuntu Feisty Fawn in a virtual PC installed on my XP machine. Didn't want to re-install everything so found this shortcut that works seamlessly. In fact I run another instance of Windows XP in a virtual environment to test some stuff.
Quote:
Try Virtualization if you don't want to re-install everything.
Old 6th June 2007, 18:49   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Thanks a ton! This looks promising. Will definitely give it a shot to see if I can get it running.
Old 6th June 2007, 19:06   #15
BHPian

First linux os I tried was slax followed by dynebolic(very nice multimedia os with a pleothra of software bundled along with it) ,fedora and ubuntu.I liked slax and dynebolic more than the others although I have tried them using their live cd's only. I recently received three ubuntu fiesty fawn cd's(two 32 bit and one 64 bit) from cannonical limited.I can send you any one of these if you want or you can get one for yourself free from https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ The features which linux offers are better than any paid os like windows and yet it requires less hardware resources,it is also free and best of all you can contribute to the code and customise it.There is nothing that beats linux.I still wonder why people say wow when they hear V***TA. Vaise which one do you prefer Gimp or Photoshop.

Last edited by revvedup : 6th June 2007 at 19:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks