Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Linux distro you use, and why?
Ubuntu/Kubuntu 115 61.83%
Mandriva 2 1.08%
Debian 14 7.53%
Gentoo 4 2.15%
Red Hat 37 19.89%
Slackware 6 3.23%
SuSE 16 8.60%
TurboLinux 0 0%
BSD 7 3.76%
Any other 24 12.90%
Fedora 28 15.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2010, 08:47   #121
BHPian

Re: Which linux ... and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
Thanks
I have downloaded ubuntu 10.10 and window installer and as suggested planning to try it out from USB pendrive (not CD). Hope things are going on in right direction.

Cheers
an easy way to try out ubuntu is 'wubi' you don't need any pendrive, cd or usb - just run wubi from inside windows and thats it.
Old 9th December 2010, 15:17   #122
BHPian

Re: Which linux distro do you use, and why?

For anyone who would like to try Ubuntu before dual booting it alongside Windows, consider VMBoxWare. I found it to be really awesome. I have my Lenovo Thinkpad T410s and I have installed Ubuntu 10.10 and it runs perfectly fine excepting the Fingerprint scanner and the Multitouch keypad.

I'm satisfied with Ubuntu.
Old 9th December 2010, 16:44   #123
BHPian

Fedora 14

Fedora 14 on my new Sony Vaio VPCEB36FG.
The Full HD display is excellent!

One problem: Internet connection via WiFi keeps disconnecting/connecting randomly.
Old 9th December 2010, 17:29   #124
BHPian

I do recovery work for some of my friends and my favourite is puppy linux. Small efficient and brilliant. Any corrupt hard-disks or even damaged boot sectors and in a few attempt it gets through. I aint that technical you see.

Also I use it on a friends toshiba satellite that's 6 years old only for watching movies saved on my BB
Old 9th December 2010, 17:51   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
For anyone who would like to try Ubuntu before dual booting it alongside Windows, consider VMBoxWare. I found it to be really awesome. I have my Lenovo Thinkpad T410s and I have installed Ubuntu 10.10 and it runs perfectly fine excepting the Fingerprint scanner and the Multitouch keypad.

I'm satisfied with Ubuntu.
What is VMBoxWare? I couldn't find anything on net. I use VirtualBox for my virtualization needs.
Old 9th December 2010, 18:42   #126
BHPian

Exactly I meant the VirtualBox VirtualBox
Old 10th December 2010, 10:07   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
What is VMBoxWare? I couldn't find anything on net. I use VirtualBox for my virtualization needs.
VirtualBox is good. Even VMWare player would work for you.
Old 30th April 2011, 16:21   #128
Senior - BHPian

I have upgraded to the latest version of Ubuntu - Natty Narwhal. I am still figuring out my way and it is bit of a learning curve when compared to the previous version. This is the first time I have upgraded a Debian based system over the net - took me 20 hours using an MTNL connection.

A few changes over version 10 -
1. The OS did not recognize and activate the Broadcom Wireless drivers. Had to do that manually after connecting via wire to the modem
2. There is whole new Unity thingie which has to be experienced - part of it I am liking, part of it is a drag

Any other people on board who have played around with Natty Narwhal?
Old 30th April 2011, 16:42   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
I am running it under vm and Unity doesn't start because of lack of enough hardware support. Everything else is just same. Plan to install Natty in a partition this week. I want to try Gnome3 shell too.
Old 30th April 2011, 17:53   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Downloading now...90% complete

Edit: Download complete.

Btw here is a nice wallpaper with ubuntu keyboard shortcuts

Last edited by Jaguar : 30th April 2011 at 18:01.
Jaguar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2011, 20:14   #131
BANNED

Nostalgia

Stumbled upon this YouTube video while going through one of those Steve Jobs obits.

I did not want to comment, but cannot resist saying - just replace IBM and Apple with the $evil and $OS and things are still the same today.

As somebody who just about saved somebody in India from the itunes infringement suit, the Apple inc I knew certainly did not stand for users freedoms. Sorry cannot help saying that; did not want to put it in the obit thread; hence posting it here.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 6th October 2011 at 20:15.
Old 6th October 2011, 22:43   #132
Senior - BHPian

I was using Ubuntu on my old system which was running XP and downloaded Ubuntu and used it side by side and looked good for sometime, but my scanner wouldn't work and many peripherals wouldn't work and and to make things work will have to pour over and find solutions over the net. Finally the novelty and patience wore thin and when I got my new system running Windows 7 haven't looked back, not that I'm a great supporter of Bill Gates, but there's really no alternative to the Windows OS.
Old 7th October 2011, 16:45   #133
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nostalgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Stumbled upon this YouTube video while going through one of those Steve Jobs obits.

1983 Apple Keynote-The "1984" Ad Introduction - YouTube

I did not want to comment, but cannot resist saying - just replace IBM and Apple with the $evil and $OS and things are still the same today.

As somebody who just about saved somebody in India from the itunes infringement suit, the Apple inc I knew certainly did not stand for users freedoms. Sorry cannot help saying that; did not want to put it in the obit thread; hence posting it here.
Who will stand for user's freedom? 'cool' things for OS users are ''trusted'' computing(treacherous computing)+DRM and more.

I've last heard Windows 8 has got some OEM vendor lock which protects installation of any other(means Linux in particular) OS in Your system. Corporates in Redmond and Cupertino will not be standing for Your Rights.
Quote:
"The Linux Australia community began petitioning the ACCC this week after Microsoft aired plans to mandate the enabling of Unified Extensible Firmware Interface's secure boot feature for devices bearing the 'Designed for Windows 8' logo. This means that any software or hardware that is to run on the firmware will need to be signed by Microsoft or the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) to be able to execute. This would make it impossible to install alternative operating systems like Linux..."
Australian Users Petitioning Against Windows 8 Secure Boot - Slashdot

Last edited by deepclutch : 7th October 2011 at 16:46.
Old 7th October 2011, 18:05   #134
Senior - BHPian

@deep clutch: The secure boot controversy shows how ruthless Microsoft can be. They scan the horizon for competition and nip it in the bud itself.
Old 4th November 2011, 12:56   #135
BHPian

Have voted for Ubuntu which I have installed on my Home Laptop. At office I used to work on CentOS (based on Red Hat) for an Open Source project.

I have a problem with my Ubuntu 11.04 installation though. The torrents does not seem to work inspite of me doing a port forward on my router (did not have to do this for Windows Vista installed on another partition) and also opening up the range of ports used by my torrent client (Transmission or Deluge or Myu). I can see them open in UFW. Not sure why. Anybody else faced this issue?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks